Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

26% of us aren't playing MMOs?

ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Just saw the MMORPG poll which asks how many MMOs are you playing. Of 40,000 voters, 26% of them said none. I found that shocking.

10,000 visitors to MMORPG aren't playing any MMOs
30,000 are playing at least one.

I would love to see another MMORPG poll that asks, "how much $ per month are you currently spending on MMOs."

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    There was this poll from a couple of months ago.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    ya because everyone dose that poll. . . .to be honest i dont do polls, when you get a poll from only a percentage of a group and not the entire group it give bad numbers to base off of for that group.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

26% of the people dislike the past MMORPG trends, and are hopeful that one of the new games coming out will be better?  ArcheAge, The Repopulation, EverQuest Next + some others further out.

I'd guess that most are waiting for a sandbox / sandbox hybrid AAA MMORPG, but who knows.  I just couldn't see someone going MMORPG-less just to wait for another low longevity themepark.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Arclan

I would love to see another MMORPG poll that asks, "how much $ per month are you currently spending on MMOs."

Would be even a smaller %. There are lots of F2P MMOs. For me, it is ZERO. And will be ZERO for the forseeable future.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    GW 2 has been out long enough that many players have stopping playing it like always happens with new big name games. The next big thing hasn't come out yet, so many of us are in between MMOs and/or casually playing older games while we wait for the next big release. More days than not I don't login to any MMO. But I'm still very interested in a number of them that will be out later this year and in the coming years. Therefore I keep coming to this site. Same with many other people.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    ya because everyone dose that poll. . . .to be honest i dont do polls, when you get a poll from only a percentage of a group and not the entire group it give bad numbers to base off of for that group.

Except people should have other reasons to accept the results as being within the realm of possibility - like noticing that whenever you start playing a newly released MMO, the playerbase starts out very strong number-wise but quickly decays to a small fraction of itself.

In truth the percentage is skewed the opposite way that you think.  A bunch of terms are up-for-grabs, such as who "we" are.  If "we" includes every homo sapien on the planet, then about 99.5% of us don't play MMOs.  And setting a poll on mmorpg.com requires that the responder have a degree of interest in MMOs that surpasses almost any fair criteria for being a potential customer that anyone could come up with.

Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Just saw the MMORPG poll which asks how many MMOs are you playing. Of 40,000 voters, 26% of them said none. I found that shocking.

13 BUCKS FOR OLD MMO AC2 but im thinking of quiting for planet explores awesome new kickstarter game.

I more and more going solo im bit fed up with attitude most have these days ingame no social manners no patience anymore and leave when ever they like not concider others at all.

Solo dont have to deal with anti socials anymore.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    There was this poll from a couple of months ago.

Ok I voted on it just now. Polls you and I create are lucky to get 100 voters. But, a poll 40,000 player strong really says something.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Raithe-Nor

Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity.

Who say they are MMO fans? Is there a linked survey question asking them if they are fans?

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Raithe-Nor Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity.
    Who say they are MMO fans? Is there a linked survey question asking them if they are fans?

Because golfers browse the general forum on mmorpg.com

I agree, most MMO fans have outgrown MMOs (content/style/story/type). I think its just a generation is leaving behind what they played with as kids(or when MMOs were 'fresh')

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I'm more surprised at the number of people who claim to have not played a MMO in one or more years yet continue to frequent these forums regularly.

Not sure I'd do that if I ever stopped playing MMO's for any length of time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    There hasn't been an mmo to keep me for years now.  Usually buy the mmo, play a month, beat it, then get bored and uninstall. So called Mmo's lately are becomng much like a PS3 or Xbox game. Play it a few weeks, beat it, then toss it off to the side to collect dust.  Quite sad :(

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Zaltark

Originally posted by Raithe-Nor Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity.

Because golfers browse the general forum on mmorpg.com

I agree, most MMO fans have outgrown MMOs (content/style/story/type). I think its just a generation is leaving behind what they played with as kids(or when MMOs were 'fresh')

How about "because gamers with mild interests in MMO browse mmorpg.com"?

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm more surprised at the number of people who claim to have not played a MMO in one or more years yet continue to frequent these forums regularly.

Not sure I'd do that if I ever stopped playing MMO's for any length of time.

And claim they are mmorpg fans!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Squeak69

.....Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity.

It's a bit of an eye opener to say the least, but I can't say I'm shocked considering the state of the genre. People are probably getting tired of all of these disposable shallow titles. Gets old after all this time.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Zaltark

Having a quarter of mmo fans say they can't find a game they enjoy is certainly telling, regardless of its numerical validity
    Because golfers browse the general forum on mmorpg.comI agree, most MMO fans have outgrown MMOs (content/style/story/type). I think its just a generation is leaving behind what they played with as kids(or when MMOs were 'fresh')
    How about "because gamers with mild interests in MMO browse mmorpg.com"?
    I think that if a person has enough to interest in MMOs to:
    1) Find this specific site on the internet
    2) Find a poll on this site
    3) Answer poll on this site
    qualifies them as a fan. Does *your* definition of "fan" differ much?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'm more surprised at the number of people who claim to have not played a MMO in one or more years yet continue to frequent these forums regularly.Not sure I'd do that if I ever stopped playing MMO's for any length of time.
    And claim they are mmorpg fans!
    Did you enjoy, no wait... have "fun" during your time in EverQuet? Would you consider yourself a "fan" of MMOs back then compared to now?

I am a fan of MMORPGs. Nothing today has what *I* was a fan about back then. Does that mean I can not be a fan anymore? I definitely am not a fan of "new" MMOs. (Note the lack of "RPG" in that acronym.)

Why do I stick around? That little bit of hope that I cannot seem to squash that a game will come out some year that appeals to me again. Maybe, just maybe, a game will get made that will interest me as MMORPGs once did. I realize you have very different criteria, but not everyone feels as you do, though a majority do support your preferences, proven by the number of MMO players playing today compared to back then. That does not mean *my* preferences (or "fan-ness") are any less valid.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    I have tried to get into the newer MMO's but just can't which makes me wonder if it's me getting older or have games really gotten that worse over the years?
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Would be even a smaller %. There are lots of F2P MMOs. For me, it is ZERO. And will be ZERO for the forseeable future.

For me, it's zero and it's been zero for a long time, but that's not because I'm playing F2P games, but because I'm just not playing any MMOs at all and I don't think I've even booted one up in over a year.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Meh.

Visit any Leica forum, 80% of the posters there will not actually own a Leica M or S.

And just because you are currently not playing a MMO doesnt necessarily mean you arent interested in playing one.

If there wouldnt be Vanguard, I wouldnt play any MMO either.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Cecropia

It's a bit of an eye opener to say the least, but I can't say I'm shocked considering the state of the genre. People are probably getting tired of all of these disposable shallow titles. Gets old after all this time.

I'm not tired of the titles, I'm tired of the idiots who play them and make being part of the so-called community worthless.  Most of these games, if I could play them as an entirely single player game without having to deal with shallow, obnoxious, rude, racing-to-endgame asshats, I would.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Sodahz
    I have tried to get into the newer MMO's but just can't which makes me wonder if it's me getting older or have games really gotten that worse over the years?

My vote is they're getting worse.

The games market sees the same development as any other market - less and less companies, larger and larger companies, and more and more its just about profit and using monopolization power, not about having a great product.

Murderous conditions for a market that basically trades art.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I played more than one...

Still do, when is it gonna be cool and not matter?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Go ahead and make the poll.  I know I am no longer spending any money on mmo's; when in previous years I went into the hundreds.  I have an mmo I belong to but I'm not playing it all the time.