Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How long does it take you to know whether an mmorpg is for you?

13»

Comments

• AldersAlders Jack Burton'sPosts: 1,857Member Uncommon

It honestly varies based on options.

A decade ago i gave MMO's til max level, which took a long time, because my options were limited.

Today i seem to barely last to level 10 before i uninstall.

• oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common

same here, most of the time within a fiew hours.....for me factors to keep playing are these:

1. is the noob zone fun and integrated into the story? if not, i might just almost quit there.

2. is the story good enough to keep me wanting more?

3. is there enough to do next to just questing? (exploring, crafting, gathering...)

4. is the community friendly?

5. does the lvling go to fast?

If on more then 3 of these my answer is....."meh"....then i prolly quit this game within the first week or so.

To me games should be fun and this is different for all of us......so if it aint fun for me like i expect it to be then i just move on to the next game.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by bcbully

It depends. Not long if I see I'm questing for levels and have talent trees. Been there done that.

It took me about 2 weeks with AoW to say, "Hmm we may have something here." 

AoW was bewildering and confusing to me when I tried it in beta and I uninstalled it. BUT I have not written it off. It was a case where it was me and not the game itself. I knew I would have to spend some time to read up on the game and its mechanics and that it has a relatively high learning curve. In this case, I just don't have the time right now, but I do hope to come back and check it out again some time when I have time to spare.

For now, I am in a busy period with my work. And gaming is busy too, with DFUW (I loved DF in spite of its shortcomings) is supposed to release in a few days and FFXIV beta to start this weekend. 

So yeah, AoW was a quick uninstall, but certainly not a write-off. I will get back to that one way or another, I think.

• Cor4xCor4x Dallas, TXPosts: 241Member

How I like a game depends heavily on my initial impressions. I generally read/watch videos about a game before I try it.

You can now, at least.

I also try a game during its beta period (with a pre-order from Amazon, so I can cancel).

Some games I know in a short time if I'm going to like them or not. As an example: Champions Online and Star Trek Online. Both of those I knew in under a day they sucked. I canceled both pre-orders.

My shortest game is CO. It didn't last 2 hours.

I usually won't try any game without a sub. GW1 and GW2 I did play, but GW2 didn't last a month.

In GW2's case as well as Rift and LOTRO, the main issue was characters. I couldn't find ONE class I liked to play. Rift had other issues as did GW2, in that I dislike the pop-up mob public quest. Public quests, IMO, are weak, unpleasant, and unfocused.

DC Online sucked ass, but I wrote a set of macros (for the attacks) to play and that worked better. I only played it because I already had an SoE account that included it. It lasted less than a week.

Anarchy Online was very enjoyable and I played it for 2 years. I loved the point system and tend to do really well in classless games. Sadly, those are few and far between.

UO was also very cool until it ran out of steam and they split things.

I highly disliked SWG before the terrible 'upgrade'. I left after err 2 months? The direction of the game was bad and I hated looking for those chips for Jedi. (Back then, at least, and Jedi were perma-death.) I hated the combat system.

"You mean, to shoot him in the leg I have to hit myself in the head?!"

Oh, that game was horrible.

Lets see. I really liked Matrix Online and played it for years and years.

I loved CoX and played it for a month, quit, then resubbed when they added Villains and played the crap out of it.

I played EQ1 for years. I loved my Bard and his fifty-billion (hyperbole) AA.

I played EQ2 since beta, quit after 3 months, resubbed in another year, quit, then friends begged me to rejoin. I played for another two years. *sigh*

I played Runes of Magic (one of my few F2P games) for a month until the client kept crashing my PC. I didn't care for the game much anyway, so no loss there.

Lets see, I played AdventureQuest Worlds, but got bored of the pointless grind, same as Ryl.

Played Conan for a bit, but hated all the classes, magic system, characters, graphics, UI, and pretty much all of it.

Played DDO for a month (the first and pre-release) but topped the game out and refused to wait until "after second payment" for the release of new content. That game was super-brutal too (social-wise), although not for me.

Played Asheron's Call late in the day (4 years ago or so) and couldn't fall in love with it.

"Played" EVE for a year or so, logging in and improving my character before getting bored and quitting.

Programmed and developed content for NWN (the older Bioware version). That I like. I'm very unsure about the new Neverwinter as I absolutely deplore and loathe the crap that is 4th edition as well as almost no option in character development.

Free Realms is listed, so I played the crap out of it too. Liked the card game for a while. Didn't spend station cash there and this was pre-nerf. They locked down almost everything after making a big deal out of having it unlocked. I'm very negative on "F2P" games, though.

Even though I don't understand it, Minecraft is listed and I play that. I like it, but an MMO?

Ah. Played Pirates of the Burning Sea and laughed at the fail of that before it was F2P. Again, pre-order for the win.

Played Vanguard when it was busted and before it went to SoE. Quit. Re-subbed sometime later and played a few raids. That content was bad enough for me to quit and never go back.

Played SWTOR for a couple of months until I just stopped logging in. It was weird. I just ... stopped.

Torchlight 2 is listed and I'm currently playing this, but, again, I wouldn't consider it an MMO. I do like it though.

Played Wizard 101 for 6 months or so before they changed it all up. This was around 5 or 6 years ago. Liked it OK. Had a sub. They didn't beg you for money back then. I also LOVE CCGs and are very good (tournament level) at them.

Hm. Played the mighty, mighty World of Warcraft for around a year. Can't tell you why I stayed that long though. The game was brain-dead easy and I had maxed out the only character I cared about in under a month. Came back for the expansion (the one with Death Knights. Don't remember which that was.) I originally tried it years after it started because there was NOTHING else to play. I'd tried everything else at the time.

Anyway, those are some of the games I played. I've been playing visual MMORPGS since '97 and MMORPGs since the '80s (as MUDs).

So, for me, game choice is about a sieve process. No one thing will break a game, but a number often does.

In no particular order and following:

- Does it have a character class I actually like to play? Often, games these days do not or the game only has one.

- Is the game F2P and do they beg money? If I cannot see a list of items and prices, this is a heavy negative.

- Graphics are relatively unimportant. UI is mostly unimportant.

- Endgame is optional. Raiding is usually more boring than questing. A PVP endgame is a slight negative. I usually have fun on the journey and the endgame is icing on the cake.

- Do I have to look for something to do or is it themepark? I typically enjoy (so called) themepark games, although non-structured themeparks are fine.

- Is crafting necessary to practically advance in the game? I'm not a crafter and have little patience for it. I do, however, have 9 end-game crafter-characters in EQ2.

- Is PVP forced on you at any point? This is a strong negative. I highly dislike PVP, although over the years I've been ruthless and good at it.

- How complicated is the play of a given character? If I only click on something or push 1 or 2 buttons, I'm gonna be bored. I'll do something else instead.

- How many artificial time-sinks are built in? Repairing gear, small inventory, or long travel times all count as negative.

- Am I forced to group? DDO was like this and I did fine, but it is a negative. I want to play when I want to play.

- Along with the above, has anyone EVER waited to log in? I won't play a game where I can't play when I want to.

- I read MMORPG and other sites. I read it with a (strong) grain of salt, but watch for arguments that almost no one refutes or good things no one else denies. These things can usually be taken for some truth.

- I listen to the developers. An ass for a developer is an instant negative, as are private messaging boards (for reading), and heavily policed boards for company-negative posts. I HATE censorship.

- I watch YouTube videos of game play. That also lets me know how game play flows and means a good bit to me.

- Replay value doesn't interest me much as when I'm finished with a character and have experienced all the content I like, I rarely go back. EQ2 was a minor exception. Although that brings me to my next point:

- I absolutely, from the bottom of my soul, spttingly hate changes in my gameplay. You change my game, I quit and never go back. That is as close to universal as it gets. I quit EQ2 with the last changes. I've quit a few games in which they changed things. Vanguard is one of them. I played a Druid. Don't change my characters, don't change core mechanics, don't "balance out" things and nerf something of mine, and don't change my maps. Put new stuff in, yes.

- Last but not least: do I have to log out and back in at some later date to do something? Is crafting or something else "real-time"? I disliked this with EVE and some other game whose name I can't remember. It was a wasteland game and so horridly bad in all ways I forgot about it. Anyway, waiting on something is a strong negative.

I will know within hours at the least and a month at most if I like the game. I have no problem walking away from years of effort over an issue. If I'm not having fun I'm not logging in (or paying for it).

I've gone back to games before with mixed success after being convinced by friends. I almost never go back to a game, on my own, after I've quit unless I was bored. The few times I've done that, I remembered as soon as I see the UI why I quit last time. Vanguard (since it was on my SoE account) was one such experience. I spent, literally, 5 minutes in the game the 3rd time.

I prefer to quest and dig into dungeons or other complicated places where mob pulls, moving, and preservation of resources are needed. I like to think to play. Exploration is meaningless to me as is crafting or collections. Those are time sinks.

I have, however, perversely liked to fish since UO. It makes no sense, I know, but I've fished to limit in every game. (Including WoW, which I found very enjoyable with the extra fishing stuff) I'm not sure if this is a mental illness, but whatever.

Sorry this went so long, but it is a fairly deep question for me.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by Cor4x

I have, however, perversely liked to fish since UO. It makes no sense, I know, but I've fished to limit in every game. (Including WoW, which I found very enjoyable with the extra fishing stuff) I'm not sure if this is a mental illness, but whatever.

This is funny.

I didn't think I would read all of your post because it was so long, but I was wrong. It turned out to be an interesting read with that great nugget near the end. 

You sound like you are more cut out for table top rpg games, then, no? 

• Cor4xCor4x Dallas, TXPosts: 241Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Cor4x

This is funny.

I didn't think I would read all of your post because it was so long, but I was wrong. It turned out to be an interesting read with that great nugget near the end. 

You sound like you are more cut out for table top rpg games, then, no? 

I'm very glad that I could bring a small amount of happiness to your day! :)

I'm also glad I wrote that well enough to read. I did skip around a bit.

Although, I've actually played all three; being: Pen and Paper (PNP) RPGs (probably over a hundred), Table Top warfare games (40K, WFB, Pathfinder, TSR's Skirmishes, and *sigh* Battletech), and MMORPGs (both MUDs and visual games).

I think I like the kinda games I like, which are more old-school MMORPGs with some flair. The same thing that keeps me out of the newer versions of D&D. There are SO MANY PnP RPGs to choose from anyway.

Yeah, EQ1 and UO were flawed, but they also had spirit. I still remember people (me included) playing those stupid flutes and charming innocent players out into the water and stranding them as I sailed away on my boat.

I remember hiding with a group of my friends in the little shop where you bought house deeds while hidden. When some poor fool walked through you (to enter the circle o death), it'd take their strength and they couldn't escape. We'd lay into them and take the mountain of gold they were gonna use to buy the property.

I remember in EQ1 floating up to run across the top of a wall to get (something) in the Grey. I kited THOUSANDS of freakin mobs in the Plane of Nightmare with my trusty clicky-ring. (Charm Animal if I remember)

I remember being clever, and outwitting the developers. I also remember dieing in BAAAAD spots and pestering some poor necro to come corpse summon me.

I remember stuff being *NEW* also, and exciting. Now, not so much.

Of course, that isn't solely the problem of the developers (and God knows, as I develop games too), but of ME having played so much. There isn't much new left.

Over to you, though, how did you come to the conclusion that I liked (assuming) PnP RPGs over MMORPGs?

Have you ever played MUDs? (Not MUSH, but real you-can-be-killed MUDs) Did you ever play any old-school game? EQ1, AC, UO, or DAoC?

Because, I believe, the age at which gamers enter the field determines what they like. Kids these days are into short and light games. Remember EQ1? The f-ing hell levels usually took over 20 hours. Each.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Hyattsville, MDPosts: 306Member

Unfortunately I'm usually approaching MMOs from a process of elimination standpoint. How long does it take me to dismiss a game?

For me, I check as much as I can before I even consider an MMO, it has to pique my interest to begin with, some don't even get a good look because the premise or genre isn't what I'm seeking. After that I screen several unacceptables, like aggression control focused combat, piratous sales models, exceptionally low production quality and untrustworthy developers. After that I check to see if the gameplay and environmental quality is entertaining, this can be a very critical observation, because even though a game may be passable, I like to do a great many things, and I do not have to be introduced to an MMO environment in order to enjoy my game, so I'm not relying on an MMO to fulfill my entertainment, I don't even need a game... It has to compete with my other interests.

Lastly, once I'm playing, I continue to screen those same expectations and look for a game to fulfill its complete potential. Unfortunately I have abandon some good games because they had potential to be muchbetter, yet the developers lacked the enthusiasm or vision to enhance the gameplay to its wild potential, guildwars original fell in this catagory.

I like the persistent worlds and interaction offered by MMOs, but I don't feel a need for them, I'm looking for good entertainment in many forms, and some put up some strong competition. (... mmm, dat @ss).

Sadly none have held my interest of late, if only arena.net hadn't disappointed me already... I'd probably enjoy GW2 sufficiently.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL BucharestPosts: 595Member Uncommon

At a maximum, 30 minutes.

More often than not, I know within 5 minutes.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    all I really have to do is look at some of the people supporting it to determine if I want to play it. For example, I've already made up my mind about CU.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Pleasant Hill, CAPosts: 159Member

Whether you buy a game, play f2p, or download a trial: From the time you log in and make it to character creation, how long does it take you to figure out whether this game is for you?

Varies tremendously, but has evolved recently so that I know sooner.

What are the variables that influence you the most? 

Fun Combat; good customization, doesn't look like or play like WoW.

What is the fastest you've made your decision?

About an hour.

Have you ever changed your mind about a game you had judged harshly and then found yourself going back to and enjoying?

Nope, but I've soured on games that I'd previously enjoyed.

People often say it's innappropriate to review an mmorpg until you make it to "end game" and experience what it has to offer. But we all know that there are some games where we just wouldn't do that even if we were paid to.
    I know that many MMO fans care most about endgame.  To me, the current endgame model refined by WoW is repetitious, anti-fun and feels like work.  If a game cannot engage me with its leveling experience, provide an active combat experience, and give me a variety of things to do that I enjoy, it will not get any money from me.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,734Member Uncommon
    I can usually tell really quickly if I will like a game or not.....I've never played a game that I hated early and loved late nor vice versa,,,,usually a game has to grab me early......I have a good idea what I want in a MMO and if I dont see any of those elements the nI know its not going to be a game that I want.......
  • RelGnRelGn halalaPosts: 494Member

Whether you buy a game, play f2p, or download a trial: From the time you log in and make it to character creation, how long does it take you to figure out whether this game is for you?

What are the variables that influence you the most? 

What is the fastest you've made your decision?

Have you ever changed your mind about a game you had judged harshly and then found yourself going back to and enjoying?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:

People often say it's innappropriate to review an mmorpg until you make it to "end game" and experience what it has to offer. But we all know that there are some games where we just wouldn't do that even if we were paid to. 

Some games, I've found myself unable to get through the tutorial even after trying 4-5 times. I will be honest. It was EVE. I know that is a well respected game. I'm just not into it. I know my personal experience has nothing to do with whether EVE is a good game or not. It's just my experience. Other games, I had fun at first, and made it to the middle like level 30/50 or 40/80 and suddenly just hit a wall and didn't want to log in any more. 

Other games, I've made it to the endgame and played for a while and eventually burned out. That's natural. It will happen to any game eventually, so that's not what I'm asking about here. Just then one's you've play for a bit and then just said, "Meh. Not for me. I'm out." 

1 month is enough but some games are so boring that you cant play them for more than a week

• XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

I usually can tell, within 30 mins to 2 hours.

The quickest I stopped playing something I bought was GW2, and I really thought I was going to like it enough to play for a while.  It just felt too cluttered with quests, like their was no real exploration or something....It is hard to explain, but it felt like I was doing checklists, instead of exploring.

The latest was Neverwinter beta, don't like the UI/controls.

If a mmo does not have quality harvesting/crafting, to go along with game play, I may only play a month to 3 months (usually very sparse after 1-2 months).  I like to play all aspects, if it isn't worth doing, or badly done, it is a big negative for me.

• BanquettoBanquetto CityPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

It really only takes minutes to tell the difference between "bad" and "not bad". I've logged out of MMOs, never to return, within one short session. Often, actually. Plenty have taken less than an hour for me to write them off forever.

The worst was probably that Eligium dud that ended up getting cancelled. Two minutes of closed beta was enough to drive me away, and I wasn't even remotely surprised when Frogster pulled out of publishing it.

Alganon would have been similar except I wanted to take a bunch of screenshots so I could write a blog post about how bad it was.

The more interesting case is trying to tell the difference between "OK", "good" and "great" once you've decided an MMO is "not bad". Plenty of games I've thought were awesome and played like mad, but fizzled out into boredom inside a month. Some I have enjoyed more and more as time went on (GW2 was a recent example of this). Others I think are excellent but just not for me (EVE is the canonical example, for me and I suspect many other people too).

• EverwestEverwest Como, MOPosts: 75Member

I can generally tell whether I'll like an MMO before I even buy it, at least to a point.  I like the idea of MMOs rather than what developers are actually doing with them, so I really don't play MMOs much at all.  If it's a cookie cutter MMO, I know not to even bother.  If it's something a bit different, I can generally see gaping design flaws. 

Of course, the most important parts are those you can't see: how the game is executed.  Things like the challenge, incentives, and playfulness of the game.  Someone has to actually play the game and share their experiences over a sustained period of time before you can know whether those things are good, but they all stem from design, so you can often rule them out without playing.  Guilty until proven innocent, basically.

• NaowutNaowut MusselkanaalPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    About page on the website.
  • TheKrautTheKraut Tampa, FLPosts: 48Member
    Originally posted by Naowut
    About page on the website.

This, even though they like to 'hide' things in overly buzzwordish descriptions talking about "dynamic gameplay while on epic adventures across the vast and unexplored continent" only to find out that 80% of the game is instanced shit and the other 20% is soloable via quest hubs. Yay.

Besides that, I look at how many races/classes there are as this often gives a clue as to the overall depth of content. Having more classes, some which can overlap on some aspects usually means more depth/content/immersion than having just a few classes that follow the usual cookie cutter formula.

F2P is usually a red flag, so is something with instancing tied directly to progression/loot and anything that screams quest hub after quest hub, mainly soloable content or instance lobby gets the X right away.

Other than that, I'm not huge into graphics but if the game looks like it was meant for 20 years ago, or like an early episode of South Park, I can't take it seriously.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Oak Brook, MIPosts: 672Member Uncommon

Being honest with me; I don't think anyone will release an MMO "for me" ever again.

They all feel "same ole" now, after all it has been fifteen years.

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,757Member Uncommon

I would not buy clothes on the basis of pictures I see in a magazine. I would not buy a new car on the basis of what a dealer tells me.

So like the rest of life, I know when something is for me when I can get enough infomation about it. That means wait until after game launch, read those reviews. Then speak to your friends, what do they think about the game? Know your friends, some are never happy with a new MMO, some are always happy.

I could just read some hype articles before launch and make up my mind that way. But that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,609Member Uncommon

The first impression already has me leaning one way or the other. The first couple of hours push me farther but then there are some things you don't really know for a week or more.

What matters to me?

1. First of all graphics AND art style have to be good. I can't play a game that just looks bad. -- this is immediate
    2. Next comes some sort of credible link to reality: I hate games with over-the-top mob sizes, inflated damage numbers (and hit points), confusing and contrived story lines... that rules out most eastern MMOs for me -- can tell within 5 minutes.
    3. Next comes fight mechanics: Am I constantly waiting for abilities to be ready while the game auto-attacks for me? I hate that. Having CDs or needing to build up for the more powerful stuff is fine but only if I have to actively do things the rest of the time. Autoattacks suck for me. I also want high mobility: I hate rooting myself while something takes 3 seconds to wind-up-- I'll know this in half an hour.
    4. After that...a sensible character progression with a lot of depth and options. Nothing is worse than a game with only a handful of viable play styles. Whether that's a limit dictated by classes or having some options be much better than others, it comes down to the same thing. This can take a week or more to figure out.
    5. Are group activities accessible and fun? It's an MMO... this needs to be a strong feature--most MMOs treat the first 10-15 levels as a continuation of the tutorial. You usually need to level at least that far to begin to get a feel for this.
    6. Lastly what is the atmosphere (community) like? Do I need to seggregate myself into a guild and turn-off the global chats because it's full of trolls and idiots? If so, I might stomach it for a while, but I know I won't last long if I need to tolerate too much ass-hattery while I try to play. WOW PUG loot Ninjas and deliberate party-wiping trolls... I'm looking at you--this has pushed me over the edge although, despite what I said, I will try to work around it if I like the rest of it. I just know from previous experience that it will eventually get to me and I will leave if it becomes the norm after launch week.

Lastly... long before launch, many here--including myself-- will already have formed opinions about pretty well everything above. 1 & 2 above could keep me from even trying it. 3 I need to experience myself by playing it.. beta tells me all I need to know about fight mechanics. 4-6 just take longer. If I make it to that point I'm probably in for a month.

That's how I do it. Although I admit, just last year I tried to tell myself I could ignore #2, gave Tera a shot, and didn't even last a month. We all make mistakes image

13»