Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not worth it. NOT!

13»

Comments

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    The game is, in fact, fantastic.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    MMOTPSs and MMOFPSs are still in their infancy, it should have been expected.
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I have now clocked over 80 hours on defiance since launch and having a lot of fun, yes it is rough around the edges but I trust trion, I have played and enjoyed this game more than any other release in the last year.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by Liddokun
    I do like the ArkFall events and the storyline is interesting. I would say this game is definitely worth it (after they fix all the bugs). Yeah... my recommendation to  players is get the game after a couple of months later. If you like post apocalyptic action RPG/Shooter this is one of the better ones out there. Well... I would say the game is still in BETA status (it's playable but only if you are willing to put up with the bugs). We're essentially paying to play a BETA product.

Does the game have a few bugs, sure, depending what platform you are playing on (like the xbox crowd in the US, they seem to be having the most problems) but show me a game that doesnt.

You bought the game, you are not paying to play anything, beta or otherwise.

My recommendation? ignore the hyperbole of poster's like Liddokun.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I could go on and on and type out multiple pages of the bugs in the game but yeah.... this game has potential (I love post apocalyptic RPG/Shooter) but it's not there yet and Trion gotta get their ass off and fix the game before people get bored and start quitting.  

News Flash: Trion does not care if you quit... you already paid them full price. That being the whole point, quit or not, makes no difference.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Burntvet

I could go on and on and type out multiple pages of the bugs in the game but yeah.... this game has potential (I love post apocalyptic RPG/Shooter) but it's not there yet and Trion gotta get their ass off and fix the game before people get bored and start quitting.

News Flash: Trion does not care if you quit... you already paid them full price. That being the whole point, quit or not, makes no difference.

It makes a world of difference, a B2P MMO nees to retain players just as much as sub-based MMO. Just as the TV show needs people to watch it. No players, no game...NO watchers, no show...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

The title is leading me to believe it IS worth it.

Now, I must have it.

^

123456789...10?

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

It is really sad that you guys had to attack him even though all he did was talk about the game. Granted he didn't give a laundry list of things he disliked but did he really deserved to be ridiculed for his grammar for instance?

Why do you guys act as if someone insulted your mother everytime some dude tries to give negative opinion about the game?

I agree, attacking people for their opinion isn't right. However when posting that opinion it's also good not to post with an inflamitory tittle like Not worth it. NOT! perhaps, Short comings of Defiance and Why you may want to wait or something to that effect. I've written a few reviews in my time and I'll tell you I always get the most respectful responses when I create more level-headed titles. The majority of people will read the title and enter the article with a bias based soley on that short bit of text. As a reviewer its good to know that even if a game is truely bad that there will be people out there that like, even love it. So when righting those reviews to avoid those fans from jumping down your throat it's good to approch them less agressively.

As I posted above I like the game. However I understand that it's not a fully featured MMORPG. Rather its a combination of MMO features in a Co-op shooter. In my mind this is ground breaking and could lead to more FPS-MMORPG hybrids with even more depth in the future. It's not for everyone but if your a FPS fan this is ground breaking territory, but as I mentioned if your a MMORPG fan then it's not as much of a change to what you're used to. The game isn't bad by any means but as MMORPG players many may feel that it lacks key features, which is why in my mind Trion tried to avoid the MMORPG tag. Destiny (another similar game coming out soon) may have the same short comings as an MMORPG but as a MMOFPS it will bring a whole group of players (FPSers) into the MMO community which is in its own right groundbreaking in the game industry.

• psypoisonpsypoison Member UncommonPosts: 17
    i like this game.
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    This game reminds me of Tabula Rasa. Not sure if anyone else here remembers it.
  • xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

I loved TR. Played it to bits! Too bad it shut down :(. Still have the collectors box and all!

If i liked TR, i assume i would like this game then? Ive been on the fence by all these negative threads :( but in turn, alot of posative lol. Should just buy it!

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    I am actually enjoying this game since some buddies told me to pick it up and I normally get bored with shooters fairly quick and I have not had that issue yet.
  • AnthonyGreyAnthonyGrey Member Posts: 5
    Shooter MMOs make me lul.. They dont work together.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Wait a minute... the thread title is "Not worth it. NOT!"

Which means the OP is actually saying it *is* worth it?

I am confused.

well technically the nots are in two different sentences :p

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • OceanhawkOceanhawk Member UncommonPosts: 27

While the OP wasn't very eloquent in his post i will agree with him to a point. The game is fun for the first few hours and the storyline quest is really kind of cool. Each step is kind of like a short TV episode and I was looking forward to the next quest. The problems for me though started once I finished the main quest line. The game becomes very repetitive to the point it bored me to tears.  And I got to this point with casual play of only a couple hours a day. 

Other Issues I had:

-Chat is absolutely abysmal and is without a doubt the worst implementation I have ever experienced in an online game. 

-Inventory system is clunky and requires too many clicks to get anything done.

-UI is built for a console game ant it shows. While functional, you know you have a problem when the user has to leave the game and go to the internet to learn how to shutdown the game. Yep F6 to exit game, hmmmm.

-Character progression is the strangest I have ever experienced. To be honest there isn't much difference in my character when i was EGO rating 1 versus EGO rating 600+. Yes you have to equip your EGO perks, but I just didn't find most of them to really be all that great.  In fact at one point I stopped adding points to the EGO grid entirely. I waited until I had about 15 points then added them all and equiped the new perks and guess what? I found I still killed mobs at the same speed and difficulty.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Originally posted by xenoclix

I loved TR. Played it to bits! Too bad it shut down :(. Still have the collectors box and all!

If i liked TR, i assume i would like this game then? Ive been on the fence by all these negative threads :( but in turn, alot of posative lol. Should just buy it!

If you love Tabula Rasa then yes you'll love this game too. While the game isn't perfect it has a lot of charming elements. In my sort of mini review above I've listed many annoying bugs (items disappearing, buggy dungeons, broken quests etc.) and unsupported standard MMO features (like NO banks, clumsy character trade feature). Hopefully future patch will fix them and the game becomes better with age. I'll be following Defiance for a long time.