Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of spell casting in RPG/MMORPG's ?

mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

http://www.indiedb.com/games/runes-game/videos/dev-video-2

This is basically the type of system for spell casting I would like to see in mmorpgs, it could also be used for many different systems as well, and is a direct move away from traditional button mashing on icons, am I alone on this ?  A nice thing about this is that it can also be done via mouse so you don't need the leap motion tech, but as this kind of technology lowers in price an becomes more wide spread.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i would like that LEAP only if i can see my hands animations casting in game like in Skyrim, both in first person and third person. If its just a screen with magic floating in it then im not interested.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i would like that LEAP only if i can see my hands animations casting in game like in Skyrim, both in first person and third person. If its just a screen with magic floating in it then im not interested.

I think that's possible TBH honest, I was up at a friend's the other week and he was using one of the xbox motion capture systems, we were looking at the depth information returned, as I was suggesting using the oculus rift in combination with a wireless wifi head mounted camera for visual feed back to the rift, but he suggested the motion capture system as it can give you depth feedback, where as the camera would need software based "light" depth calculations.

Which long story short, you could get the depth feed back of your hand "vertex positions in screen space" and render that as a mesh on screen in front of you.

• AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

How is this the future of spell casting? We're replacing spell selecting and casting with a whole damn hand. That means I have one hand less for playing the game. A new, less ergonomic, input system doesn't bring us toward the future.

If it we're combined with some sort of novel interface that combines the LEAP, Oculus, and something that lets me walk without needing my hands (that's responsive and fast) then maybe it would be a component.

Originally posted by Avison

How is this the future of spell casting? We're replacing spell selecting and casting with a whole damn hand. That means I have one hand less for playing the game. A new, less ergonomic, input system doesn't bring us toward the future.

If it we're combined with some sort of novel interface that combines the LEAP, Oculus, and something that lets me walk without needing my hands (that's responsive and fast) then maybe it would be a component.

Well yeah, the "Ultimate goal" a simulated VR state, but walk before you can run, what really interest me about this is the number of combinations of spells, instead of having a system where you have spell icons set and you typically fill out your spell bar to click on, your given runic elements combinations. There's a whole lot of freedom to be had there for a gamer, "what happens if I combine this rune with this one "chain rune casting", in the OP I mentioned that it could be done with a mouse.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Arx Fatalis has done something very similar and it worked very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LueGiUasvFk

It's a great much more engaging way of implementing magic I feel than the normal hotbar/bindkeys, though i'm not sure if i'd care to have to actually wave my hand around in front of a sensor or anything. It's pretty neat, but i'd personally prefer at least having the option to lay back in the chair and just draw with the mouse.

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

It's a great much more engaging way of implementing magic I feel than the normal hotbar/bindkeys, though i'm not sure if i'd care to have to actually wave my hand around in front of a sensor or anything. It's pretty neat, but i'd personally prefer at least having the option to lay back in the chair and just draw with the mouse.

Great video, I couldnt agree more.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

This is the direction i always assumed some mmorpg would have taken..

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

lmfao.. nevermind.. haha

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It looks like a nice idea on paper but i can tell youi something from my perspective.

I am an older gamer,i can't imagine the carpel tunnel in my shoulder if i had to hold my arm up in the air liek that for 20 minutes,let alone a couple hours.

I guess this is a basic design and can be improved upon,really it is just true 3D gaming as many would like to see it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    What about voice command? Dave Georgenson said something about "wait until you see spellweaving in EQN" when talking about SoEMote capabilities. He also recently talked abou the future of MMOs being "untethered" from the PC via Google glasses and arm bands.

We'll see what actually comes from EQN but I'd LOVE to be moving around playing an MMO. I'm getting crotchety out of the chair after an hour or two :)
  • Might be fun but probably not for every game.
  • irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Ya know what magic system I thought was pretty awesome...Magicka...its got a hint of chaos to it as magic casting should :)

Although I wouldnt bestow an MMO with that level of friendly fire in it on my worst enemy lol.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I'm still undecided on the whole gesture spellcasting thing. I mean, not in an mmo format. If a game is solely based on gesture casting like the video demo then sure, but having to memorize then draw my spells sounds like 1 more thing going in the opposite direction of  "combat strategy".

Using the spell with a gesture or voice recognition sounds great, and that's where I draw the line :P

I'm sure some people will love it, probably the same type that likes twitch based combat. I will admit that there is a place for it in all games though, I just disagree on some the details.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

How bout this for spell casting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z83wzJwrBK0 (Skyrim with voice and motion activated attacks)

Remember this isnt even a AAA product/game built for this purpose. I can imagine with refinement it would be more responsive...

Hopefully it picks up as a thing, I cant wait till my neighbors hear me shouting lightning bolt  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU  (Lightning bolt larpers o.<)

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

This could give a whole new meaning to fumbling your spell casting. 

As someone mentioned above .. people with carpal tunnel syndrome will have some issues, as well as people arthritis or some other degenerative disease.  Another issue is will it support left-handed people?  In the end I think speed and efficiency of a single keystroke may win the day.   I think people in MMOs are just used to clicking a button to have the spell start casting instead of waggling fingers and the having the spell cast.