Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Defiance worth $60

Comments

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 triadelphia, WVPosts: 409Member
    games fun but not worth 60. i played the beta. ive paid 20 bucks for evochron mercenarys, has mp also. i got 20 hours into it and it comes packed with literally never ending content.  i really dont see why defiance is priced so high. there is no dlc's atm. those arent free later on like guild wars 2. Sure content is fun, but no real crafting system. it basically u shoot stuff, level up, shoot more stuff till ya run out of quest's.  Battlefield 3 premuim all dlc's i nailed a deal on it for 30 bucks. that 30 bucks was worth it. now if defiance was 30 bucks id pay it. till then fat chance in hell. No game in my opnion is worth 60 bucks unless it can provide 100+ hours gameplay. i dont see 100 hours in defiance, i see you completing all quests then geting bored.
  • psiicpsiic Tampa, FLPosts: 943Member Uncommon

I bought the digital deluxe and the damn dlc thing so ask me is it worth $100+ 

: (

• ExcessionExcession NottinghamPosts: 367Member Uncommon

Even though the poll is misleading (you can buy Defiance for less than the poll suggests) I still opted for yes.

I preordered the Digital Deluxe, I have played a few hours every day since launch, and I am still having fun, so for me, it was/is worth it.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,141Member Uncommon
    $30 is about rigjht, BF3 is more fun.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,141Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by psiic

Is it?

• BrownAleBrownAle fantasyland, MEPosts: 399Member

It was this game or Bioshock Infinate for me, i caved and got both.  Both are good, im done with Bioshock already...its over.  Still playing Defiance.

Definately got my moneys worth.

Now if your buying this game as the next big mmorpg...your in for dissapointment.

Compare this game with other shooters and its a fantastic game, compare this game with a mmorpg themepark where your goal is to race to endgame where the real game is suppose to start...and well your gonna have a bad time.

Dont buy this game if you want a mmorpg.  Buy this game if you want a great open world pve shooter.

• psiicpsiic Tampa, FLPosts: 943Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Originally posted by psiic

Is it?

funny..

sad but funny.

Standing on the Golden Gate now really hoping the city is going to bring something new and exciting.

• JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Joekra

Anybody who votes no but buys single player fps games that are finished in 5-10 hours is a total hypocrit. You get a lot more content and a lot more play time from this game than most box sales. To top it off, it's fun and will get free updates and runs with a tv show. 

And that is my definition of it being worth the money.

Because you cannot compare a single player game with an MMO!

The new single player games these days (like Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite) offer almost true cinematic experiences. Which is extremely expensive to make.

FPS games by the way, always had very short single player campains, as they are mainly PVP games and that's what people buy it for. The single player campain is just a bonus.

Defiance is a very mediocre game for MMO standards. Very tiny map and very little content. Extremely unpolished with tons of issues. Horrible progression and loot system, which is totally randomized like Diablo III to push lock box sales.

• ThornrageThornrage Eastern North CarolinaPosts: 592Member Uncommon
    Worth every penny!

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ZarriyaZarriya Long Island, NYPosts: 287Member Uncommon

I voted yes that it is worth the 60$, however I tested it for a good amount of time, and the game isnt my thing.  I believe it is worth it if you look at a lot of the games on the market that are for consols it delivers a good enough amount of content  when compared to those games.  I am more of a traditional MMORPG player (EQ2, WOW,  etc) so this game wasnt for me.  I do compare it more to a PVE Planetside 2.

• JixagaJixaga malmoPosts: 7Member
    not that hard to find online for about 33$ and digital deluxe for about 43$
  • ghost047ghost047 montreal, QCPosts: 603Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

So if i was to call defiance an MMORPG would you say i was wrong?

If I call an SUV a truck am I wrong ?

No, you're right in a sense, a SUV, a pickup, a van are all truck, as WoW and Defiance are all games, we can even say MMO, but we can't say they are both MMORPG, WoW is a MMORPG and Defiance is a MMOTPS. Would you call Call of Duty and Deadspace/Gears of War a FPS, no CoD is a FPS and Deadspace/Gears of War is a TPS, but they are both shooter, yes!

You see, if I have no idea what Defiance is and you tell me buy it it's a good mmorpg, i'll be in for a total disappointment since I hate all type of shooter.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member

Lets see... 

A MMOTPS with tons of mini games, a main story I found enjoyable, story missions that will enhance the shows viewing experience, "Dynamic Events", tons of side missions, A good number of Co-op maps that are both challenging and fun, A decent variety of PvP options, A huge selection of weapons, lots of customization and personaltization options, Free content updates, lots of progression, and a decent variety in mobs for PvE... 

To me thats a no brainer, yes it's worth the $60. People pay more for less especially in the MMO sector. 

• BrownAleBrownAle fantasyland, MEPosts: 399Member

You can call it whatever you want.  The developers call it an open world online shooter on their website.

Here is a video of the developers talking about what defiance is.  This should clear up any confusion on expectations.

Youll notice in their discussion about what defiance does, its in reference to how they handle the typical TPS/FPS set up and how they do it different ect.  You wont see mention of typical mmorpg systems and what not, this isnt intended to be a mmorpg and its not.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I have no idea but I have to caution. Asking that on a forum about the game it kinda like asking a hooker if she is the best one on the street that night.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Celina, OHPosts: 1,025Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Anybody who votes no but buys single player fps games that are finished in 5-10 hours is a total hypocrit. You get a lot more content and a lot more play time from this game than most box sales. To top it off, it's fun and will get free updates and runs with a tv show. 

Because you cannot compare a single player game with an MMO!

The new single player games these days (like Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite) offer almost true cinematic experiences. Which is extremely expensive to make.

FPS games by the way, always had very short single player campains, as they are mainly PVP games and that's what people buy it for. The single player campain is just a bonus.

Defiance is a very mediocre game for MMO standards. Very tiny map and very little content. Extremely unpolished with tons of issues. Horrible progression and loot system, which is totally randomized like Diablo III to push lock box sales.

For me the $60 is well worth it seeing as in this day and age you pay $50-$60 dollars for singleplayer experiences that last from 6-15 hours which I have already far surpassed in this game. This fact stands regardless of wether it is an MMO an FPS or any other genre of game.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

Lol, it seems that a great many people are happy to spend $50 on a SPG game that they can finish in 20 or 30 hours.

But those same people refuse to spend $50 on an "MMO" because it will "only" give them a month or two of entertainment...

• injenuinjenu miami, FLPosts: 142Member

If you're comparing what $60 buys you in real life with what it buys you gaming wise you're going to be over valuing Defiance.  This game isn't bad, but it was put together in a ramshackle way, and it's incomplete.  I mean, you get 1 co-op mission that can literally be completed in less than 6 minutes? There's hundreds of different types of weapons but some of them don't scale with their level and you wind up just sticking with the shotgun/saw combo, and if you want to get kicks and have a challenge, the sniper rifle.  But that's basically it. 

There's also no classes per say, any real character customization (it looks pretty funny when they have those "dynamic events" where there's about a hundred identical clones running and jumping around like crazy), and the differences in skills is pretty uninspired.  You're either get a cloaking, charging, decoying, or getting a 10% buff to weapon damage, and that's literally the class system in defiance.  

Games not worth $60 in its current state, and frankly I could name you 5 F2P games that it wouldn't even compete with. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,938Member Uncommon
    Anyone playing the beta could tell it was rushed out the door to meet the launch deadline for the TV show. The amount of clunky/unpolished features, shallow mechanics, and overly repetitive everything make that very clear. I might buy later when it is in the $10-$20 range, but $60? No way.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Ehrenfeld, PAPosts: 2,977Member

Its Borderlands 2 online if you ask me and I payed $60 bucks for it as well.

If your looking for a RPG element like WoW or SWToR, forget it, this won't be the game your looking for. Its a MMO Shooter just like Planetside 2.

To chat locally in this game is non existent so best to join a clan or get a few friends to play the game with.

• injenuinjenu miami, FLPosts: 142Member
    Originally posted by JR4D

If your looking for a RPG element like WoW or SWToR, forget it, this won't be the game your looking for. Its a MMO Shooter just like Planetside 2.

To chat locally in this game is non existent so best to join a clan or get a few friends to play the game with.

Saying its an MMO shooter like planetside 2 is giving it a lot of credit. 

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Celina, OHPosts: 1,025Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by injenu
    Originally posted by JR4D

Saying its an MMO shooter like planetside 2 is giving it a lot of credit. 

I wouldn't compare it to Planetside 2 either, I actually have fun in Defiance.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,430Member Uncommon

There is an exception and why i say it is the best ever fps game made.The Unreal series is arguably in that area of being able to finish in one day,maybe a few days top a week depending on your skill.However what the Unreal series did was release the now UDP ,the game engine with tools that allows gamers to create tons of mods and maps and models and texctures and music and sounds,it just gives the game a ton of longevity and worth.

How good is Defiance's multiplayer,i don't really know,that and the combat structure is also very important.One thing thatmade fps's so good is the map designs,something thjat  has NEVER been a factor in mmo's or games like Definace.The reason map design is so important is it makes your positioning and ovement mean as much as aim,it bascially gives pvp combat a realsitic and complete package.

Samoan Diamond

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph SarajevoPosts: 1,069Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tayah
    It's not an mmorpg, so to me it's not worth it.

yes you are right it is not mmorpg but it is MMOTPS ,open world game

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Lufkin, TXPosts: 310Member

+1