Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New combat patch today changes feel of the game

CaaahlCaaahl LeipzigPosts: 229Member

... to the better. :)

Anyone who preordered/with beta access should try it out.

Transfers give net gains again and the skills cost less overall (so they can get used more often).

Tested it a couple of hours today and this patch is an improvement indeed.

Nice server population atm with a lot of players roaming around pvping.

PS: Oh, and don't forget: release of the game is next Tuesday already. So if you want to test stuff before, you should better start now. ;)

Caaahl / DAA KAPUTTMACHAA ---DF/DFUW

Comments

• Imperator101Imperator101 Toronto, ONPosts: 131Member
    The combat really feels better? Is this a late April Fools joke? I have always tried to find a MMO that has gameplay like Elder Scrolls Skyrim which I thought was amazing. Mortal Online and DarkFall come closest to this but in a bad way, the combat is clunky and stupid. In DF:OW, if you are a warrior you simply run around constantly swinging your longsword, no one uses shields. It is just constantly running and swinging at your enemy and looks very stupid.

• CaaahlCaaahl LeipzigPosts: 229Member
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    The combat really feels better? Is this a late April Fools joke? I have always tried to find a MMO that has gameplay like Elder Scrolls Skyrim which I thought was amazing. Mortal Online and DarkFall come closest to this but in a bad way, the combat is clunky and stupid. In DF:OW, if you are a warrior you simply run around constantly swinging your longsword, no one uses shields. It is just constantly running and swinging at your enemy and looks very stupid.

If you act like that you wont win a lot of fights.

None, if you fight against someone who knows what he's doing.

Caaahl / DAA KAPUTTMACHAA ---DF/DFUW

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    and I just resubscribed to WAR in an attempt to get a pvp fix...
  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

I feel sorry for you then.  I could probably sell you my GW2 account.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Let's seem some new videos - especially so we can see that melee combat and see if they addressed the clunky look of it....
  • funconfuncon Key West, FLPosts: 258Member

But does the game or movement of our character still run choppy and not smooth as, like say, a world of warcraft type smooth?

This is a major turn off for me for DF. The game just isnt smooth and just feels to clunky/stuttery even though my pc is very nice for gaming.

Originally posted by funcon

But does the game or movement of our character still run choppy and not smooth as, like say, a world of warcraft type smooth?

This is a major turn off for me for DF. The game just isnt smooth and just feels to clunky/stuttery even though my pc is very nice for gaming.

They claim that to be debug mode.  If they are right and it does runs smooth (which is possible no doubt)  - you still have that clunky melee which is not impacted by the debug mode.  If you look at the original game and that melee and what this is now - you see a huge difference for the worse.

• funconfuncon Key West, FLPosts: 258Member
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

They claim that to be debug mode.  If they are right and it does runs smooth (which is possible no doubt)  - you still have that clunky melee which is not impacted by the debug mode.  If you look at the original game and that melee and what this is now - you see a huge difference for the worse.

The combat, movement/animations and overall game play is very clunky. Not my type of game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I0cLRo2H0I&feature=youtu.be

Originally posted by Badaboom

LOL - he is asking how to make it private now in his youtube post.....   Gotta love macros and Darkfall and the so-called "skill".....

• wormedwormed Calgary, ABPosts: 374Member

He should have clarified, "good pvp" fix.

Originally posted by wormed

Then he should be buying Darkfall.

• wormedwormed Calgary, ABPosts: 374Member
    I'm curious about the new combat system. Someone post a video of it. One big turn off was the speed in which you strafed. That was moronic slow.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wormed

Then he should be buying Darkfall.

I actually bought darkfall the moment orders went up and also own gw2.  However, darkfall ran like crap for the first month or so, so I gave up on it until it is taken out of debug mode (has not been done to my knowledge).  And I just find gw2 plain boring.   WAR was never the greatest but it was at least fun

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Lufkin, TXPosts: 310Member

LOL - he is asking how to make it private now in his youtube post.....   Gotta love macros and Darkfall and the so-called "skill".....

That was a joke... Either way the skill is in aiming your attacks I guess the chained macro combos for every tab target game make it much more skill based... rofl give it a rest, we get it you don't like the game. Stop flaming every thread like a child, ignore the game and focus on things that make you happy.

I actually bought darkfall the moment orders went up and also own gw2.  However, darkfall ran like crap for the first month or so, so I gave up on it until it is taken out of debug mode (has not been done to my knowledge).  And I just find gw2 plain boring.   WAR was never the greatest but it was at least fun

DFO was the most intense PvP and it was incredibly fun, Second only to Age of Conan due to player balance scales. Macros and zergs destroyed DFO so the entire system is revamped where you actually have to play the game to earn points that you then transfer to skills.

Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM

Stop flaming every thread like a child, ignore the game and focus on things that make you happy.

Oh the last few posts have been very spot on and I asked if the clunky melee was gone was all and if so a very good move by them - so that is not flaming :)  I also answered another guy' s question it is supposedly due to "debug mode" and we will see soon if it is true or not - not flaming just stating some facts :)

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Lufkin, TXPosts: 310Member
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM

Stop flaming every thread like a child, ignore the game and focus on things that make you happy.

Oh the last few posts have been very spot on and I asked if the clunky melee was gone was all and if so a very good move by them - so that is not flaming :)  I also answered another guy' s question it is supposedly due to "debug mode" and we will see soon if it is true or not - not flaming just stating some facts :)

Maybe it's just the way you worded things that caught me wrong if you weren't intentionally being a negative nancy. No debugging mode is not a valid assessment, I say this watching live streams of people play. It's very possible that if you played a "while ago" it has been fixed and if what you saw recently in Darkfall Unholy Wars live streams isn't your style of combat then nothing will chance come launch. I definately did not notice the clunkiness I keep hearing about in DF original and from the streams i've seen I also am not seeing it this build. The game is very much skill based, you actually have to be good at aiming, choosing attacks, positioning and most important group fighting as friendly fire is ON. There is no way in any light year a current tab target game requires more skill... now if a game wants to use a tab target system but turn friendly fire on I'm all for it. Will definately require more thought then using super omega ultimate tornado spin attack every 12 seconds

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member

Don't bro not worth it. I too think that WAR has the best PvP. But it killed some of my nostalgia about the game.

I took a shot and bought DF: UW

WAR had the best RvR I have ever experienced (never tried DAoC).

GW2 is by far the worst PoS regardging PvP... So stop flaming the WAR.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Don't bro not worth it. I too think that WAR has the best PvP. But it killed some of my nostalgia about the game.

I took a shot and bought DF: UW

WAR had the best RvR I have ever experienced (never tried DAoC).

GW2 is by far the worst PoS regardging PvP... So stop flaming the WAR.

I was a huge fan of the Warhammer universe.  WAR was awful.  I completely disagree with you and think GW2 is miles better.  That said, Darkfall is better (imo of course) than both of those games combined.  It's better because it has a huge open non-instanced world and is FFA full loot pvp in this huge world (not an instance).

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon

I understand what you're saying and I feel the same way. It turns out that I just really don't like games where you don't target/face your enemy. I felt the same way in DDO -

It's weird to discribe... It doesn't feel like you're swining AT someone, rather just swinging to swing and they were in the way. It looks odd and it really destroys the immersion factor for me.I just can't play a game with this type of targeting... or lack thereof. 

• psykobillypsykobilly NYC, NYPosts: 338Member

The big factor I've noticed when people complain about this is lack of vram.

People with 1 gig video cards get the choppiness (my old one was 1 gig and I got it).  Now I have 3 gig card and don't get the chopiness at all.

• SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    This patch brougth me back, bottom line I'm not running around constantly stammed...now its more remembering to use conversitions where before was just dumb.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Lake Moho, INPosts: 96Member
    Originally posted by psykobilly

People with 1 gig video cards get the choppiness (my old one was 1 gig and I got it).  Now I have 3 gig card and don't get the chopiness at all.

That's cute.

You realize a modded Skyrim with HQ texture packs only needs 1-1.5GB to run smoothly right? 

You realize that Unholy Wars barely has 1/20 of those visuals?

You realize that AV just has a lazy shitty engine right? 

• boris20boris20 alva, OKPosts: 101Member

Ive played the new patch, and NO it does not change the feel of combat. It is still dumbed down compared to the old more skill based game. As a warrior you still just run around swinging sword, using 1-3 skills, getting out ran by skirms who kite you all day. There is a ton of class nerfing/buffing that needs to be done to balance. Still no dungeons, enchanting, land towers, heck about 50% of the game is still missing, including 2/4 schools for each class.

On a side note - the game is much more stable, and playable. I does feel like a more optimized launch ready game, minus the lack of content, but what they do have in game is solid, besides class balance.

Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic
    Originally posted by psykobilly

That's cute.

You realize a modded Skyrim with HQ texture packs only needs 1-1.5GB to run smoothly right? 

You realize that Unholy Wars barely has 1/20 of those visuals?

You realize that AV just has a lazy shitty engine right? 

Skyrim is an MMO?