Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does NVIDIA 3d mess with gaming?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I'm not a techno geek.  I know games ran better before 3d when it came out.  I know NVIDIA isn't giving 3d up.  I know I have repeatedly uninstalled  (when allowed) the 3d.  Now I'm not sure if uninstall will mess things.  I have this gigantic panel of options and not one of them makes a damn bit of sense to me.  So did NVIDIA improve 3d not to lag and screw up games or is there a way yet to uninstall it (easy and without leaving me with no program or putting me where I have to download something else)?

Feel free to laugh now at my uneducated ungeekiness.

Maybe I would be better to ask the question, do my games need 3d?

Comments

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

If you have a nvidia graphics card, you need this, don't uninstall

download newest version, it might help

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

pretty sure the 3d stuff only comes into effect when you are actually using the 3d glasses

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

3d settings...... does not mean anything about 3d vision.

all games run in 3d by now. that's basically the fact since doom (1).

i actually dont think there is a single option for nvidia vision in that panel :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    That screenshot of options has been in the advanced panel of nvidia options for many years now. Nothing to do with 3d vision at all.
  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Thane

3d settings...... does not mean anything about 3d vision.

all games run in 3d by now. that's basically the fact since doom (1).

i actually dont think there is a single option for nvidia vision in that panel :P

What he said ^^

3D here means normal gaming mode, changing these setting will affect all games that make use of your card.

3D vision is the 3D Steroscopic option a bit donw the page.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Dont mess with those thats not 3d vision...thats settings for every games graphics leave it at default if you dont know what your doing.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If it's just ordinary 3D such as what would be affected by the settings that you show, then you need it for many games.  You need Nvidia's latest drivers if you want games to run properly.  Even a purely 2D game is likely to use 3D APIs under the hood, simply because that's what video cards are built for.

Having drivers for stereoscopic 3D installed shouldn't have any effect if you're not using it.  But even if you want to be overzealous about removing stereoscopic 3D, don't remove anything 3D that doesn't also say "stereoscopic" or "3D Vision".  You need the normal drivers for 3D rendering.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

What is so hard to understand about that page?  Be more specific.  It says the settings there are used to override settings for games you specify.

Some games might force the video card to do certain things and not give you the option to turn it off through the game's normal settings.  If you don't like bloom but the game doesn't allow you to turn it off, try using those NVIDIA settings to change it.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I have never sought anything out to my knowledge.  Microsoft updates tells me what it thinks I should have.  

That tab says, "Manage 3d settings," so I don't get where the one poster said my post pic has nothing to do with 3d.

It is the latest and greatest download.  I shouldn't have to go and get when it comes with updates.  

I am getting a lot of different answers here and not a one of them line up with the others.  I conclude no one knows what NVIDIA is doing and 3d is a fricken mystery to us all.

Thanks for trying to help tho.  I am sure I didn't help by making my post cloudy but I can't help that.  I'm considering this subject closed.

If you're relying purely on Windows Update, then you're not updating your video drivers at all.  If that's the case, then you might still be using the video drivers that your computer had when you bought it, and they could easily be years out of date by now.

The purpose of that section is that there are some graphical features that video drivers can implement on their own, without game designers intentionally needing to do so.  Other graphical features have to be implemented manually by the game designer, and can't be done purely through video drivers.  Basically the former case is anything done between shader stages or as a post-processing effect that needs only the frame buffer and/or the depth buffer.  Nvidia lets you use that menu to change graphical settings that are implemented in drivers rather than in a game engine.

For example, trying to implement anisotropic filtering in shaders could be done, but it would make a big mess and probably not fully exploit what TMUs are capable of.  Rather, the way that games can implement it in OpenGL is to have a single line of code that basically tells the video drivers "please turn on anisotropic filtering with this constant".  The video drivers are allowed to respond to that by doing whatever they feel like doing (except for crashing, which is bad), and it's up to graphics vendors to make sure that what the video drivers do is a reasonable implementation of anisotropic filtering.  The game engine can make a menu that lets players adjust the anisotropic filtering level in game, but all that the engine then does is to pass a line of code to the video drivers saying what the player chose.

Giving you the option to change anisotropic filtering in video drivers lets you override whatever a game engine asks the video drivers to do.  In some cases, it's merely a different menu to give you the same options.  But more importantly, it still lets you use the feature even if a game engine doesn't make a menu available to you to let you change it.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think you just can't comprehend what people have posted: the majority of the posts agree.

You want 3D:
    Leave everything at default/original values (the Restore button in the lower right), or it can significantly impact your performance. If you want to get adventurous, feel free, you won't break anything, you can always Restore it back to factory defaults. So yes, it can cause your system to lag, but uninstalling it isn't the proper fix, the proper fix is to Restore it to default settings and/or adjust your in-game graphics settings to something appropriate for the hardware in your machine. Uninstalling the drivers is probably the worst thing you can do for game performance.

You want the latest drivers:
    Microsoft will distribute some rudimentary drivers via their update, but nVidia releases driver updates faster than Microsoft will push for them (usually monthly). I'm sorry, but you own a computer; you have to do some work to properly maintain it. If applied the same logic to a car, you'd not have a car for very long after neglecting oil changes and tires and windsheild wiper fluid because "I shouldn't have to go and get when it comes to {maintenance}".

It's your computer, install or uninstall as you wish. You asked the question, you got several good answers. These people know what they are talking about for the most part.

All you really need is the latest driver update from nVidia - the driver control panel will often alert you when a new version is available, but it won't automatically download or install it for you (UAC controls, it may break older games or backwards compatibility, some people don't want software installed without explicit permission - there are a lot of reasons why).

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes it is buggy as hell i am living proof.

Right at this moment i am running a game in open GL just because D3d wil lnot fuinction properly.

I beleive a lot of it has to do with Latency,again i have seen it with my own eyes and seen things that are actually impossible.

We should remember that Nvidia is if i remebr the one who flexed it's muscle/lawyers/dollars to rid us of 3DFX.Then we had at the same time the Soundblaster lawyers rid us of i think it was AUREAL.

It is basically a form of monopolizing the industry,which btw is against the law.All they do is form a lawsuit and drag it out uintil the defendent has no money.

I have actually gone right through a wall becuase of latency,i have also been able to force super high jumps becuase of latency,it all makes you wonder HOW,is this even possible.Think about it a game sets a jump to be say 200 units high and latency can force 500 units high,how,if the code says a jump can only be 200?The wall glitch was extremely rare,only had it happen twice,but still,you have a wall that is SOLID,how did i go through it?My theory was that the sewction of wall had not yet been drawn or in the system,so the gaem just warped me right throguh to the other side.

I will say this,Nvidia imo does a better job than ATI.I have never had an NVIDIA card fail,but twice an ATI and drivers were notoriously slow to come out or update for ATI hardware.

What i have noticed over the past few years is money talks.It seems Nvidia and probably ATI as well cater to the big titles,they work to make sure the drivers are fit for those games only.I can remember in the past i used to roll back drivers and get a better response,which is in contradiction to what NVidia claims with it's WHQL or whatever it's called.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I have actually gone right through a wall becuase of latency,i have also been able to force super high jumps becuase of latency,it all makes you wonder HOW,is this even possible.Think about it a game sets a jump to be say 200 units high and latency can force 500 units high,how,if the code says a jump can only be 200?The wall glitch was extremely rare,only had it happen twice,but still,you have a wall that is SOLID,how did i go through it?My theory was that the sewction of wall had not yet been drawn or in the system,so the gaem just warped me right throguh to the other side. 

If it's "this happened because one frame took really long to draw", then it's a bug in the game, not in video drivers.  But it's pretty easy to understand how such bugs could happen.  You only check collision detection for objects that are near you, for example.  But if one frame takes a ridiculously long time, then that time could be long enough to run into objects that are not near you--and won't be checked.  So you go right through them in that one ridiculously long frame.  My solution to that is to cap the distance you can move in one frame.  For an online game, maybe you let the server handle it and you'll probably get rubber-banded somewhere after that frame ends, anyway.