Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF an online TCG/CCG

TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23

Well me and my buddy have grown a little tired with mmo's. The grinding has worn us out and the other day we were talking about playing magic online as we use to love the card game years ago. Unfortunately MTGO is terribly expensive and I still don't feel it translates well onto the digital platform. 

So does anyone have any suggestions for an online CCG/TCG? One that preferably is pretty popular but not too expensive to get into? We are willing to drop some bucks down for sure, just not as much as we'd have to to enjoy mtgo.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• richruzzrichruzz Member UncommonPosts: 20
    This is relevant to my interests also. Looking for a solid TCG online with a good community and active updates. <3
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

BattleForge comes to mind if you want an active TCG/CCG game. It also combines some RTS elements in the gameplay as well. I thought it was quite fun to play from time to time.

An other one is (of course) Magic: The Gathering. Only problem there is that the game is updated annually and the new version has to be repurchased again :s

Then of course there's Legends of Norrath, which is included in EverQuest II. Client is free, you get 5 boosters per month if you're subscribed to EQ2, but the price per booster is pretty high (250SC iirc, which equals $2.50). On the other hand $O€ has a lot of double/tripple SC deals, so that'll take a lot off the booster prices...

When looking at the price of the game/cards, I'd pick BattleForge. The client is free and booster packs are quite cheap. If you really want cards to play with and not the RTS setting BattleForge uses, then either M:tG or EQ2/LoN might be your thing. From that I've seen, EQ2/LoN has a very big collection of booster sets and the game-play is pretty deep.

[EDIT]

I thought LoN was incorporated with EQ2 only, but I see you can download the LoN client as stand-alone as well...

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I think Carte is the newest MMOTCG in the west, plays pretty well.

http://carte.gamescampus.com/

• richruzzrichruzz Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Any other input/suggestions? 
  • SummerDayzSummerDayz Member Posts: 21

I'm always on the lookout for new TCGs, here's a few you should check out:

Alteil - A very interesting take on a CCG where your "hand" is your entire deck.  The strategy comes in with unit placement, timing, and prediction of your opponents response as you both choose what card to play simultaneously.  The english version has had a few issues with publishers dying on it, but now the game is in the hands of the players who loved it.

Kings And Legends - Browser based strategy meets TCG.  Fun system, but without spending a LOT of time and/or money on the game it's pretty hard to be competitive.

Solforge - The next big thing.  Made by some big names in real life TCGs, including the designer of Magic.  Not out yet but should be entering beta "soon".  The interesting twist is that when you play cards they level up and go back into your deck, so your choices become not only about what you need now, but also what you'll need later as well.

• TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23
    Bumping this thread from last month instead of making a new one, still looking, still haven't found anything that has taken.
  • xStephenxStephen Member Posts: 2
    Bumping this for an other suggestions! 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I've taken a liking to Sword Girls Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

you can also try shadow era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbh0kWHg1H0

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

MTG:O actually translates pretty well as far as the game goes, but it is as expensive as the the cardboard version and you don't even get cardboard. You give up the social bit, actually hanging out with people and turning things sideways but as far as gameplay goes it's the still the champ. 

I didn't see it mentioned as I glanced through the thread but blizzard might have a good alternative with Hearthstone, but I dunno when that will be available.

• prisemyprisemy Member UncommonPosts: 4

Cabals

PC, android, and ios

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by prisemy

Cabals

PC, android, and ios

Thanks for this, I am trying it out now and seems pretty legit.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• xTRIxEDGExxTRIxEDGEx Member UncommonPosts: 43

It honestly depends on several factors. How much money are you willing to put in? Are you looking to play cassually or competitively? Do you want a one time investment or can you put money in whenever? Depending on your answers, i have 2 suggestions.

MTGO (Magic Online) - Very expensive, just like someone mentioned. Although this really all depends on what format you play. Pauper for instance only allows common rarity cards, and you can build a competitive deck for 5-20 dollars. Although if you're looking to play with most of the big boys in Standard, which only lets you use the past couple of expansions and the last core set, you will be buying new cards to make new deck's/altering old one's every couple of months. And standard competitive deck's can cost hundreds. I currently play MTGO and play pauper mostly cassually, and thinking about playing competitively in free PRE's (Player Run Event's). Which brings me to the fact that all official events on MTGO cost money to enter. PRE's are usually free, but also usually payout less.

Shadow Era - You can play this game with a one time investment, as you can unlock cards through play. Which means you can also play competitively for cheap. 20$ should be more than enough. Not as huge as MTGO, but def good for TCG beginers, or just a different style of gameplay. They only have around 200 cards, but the first card expansion should be out in the coming weeks.

Also forgot to mention, MTGO has a  one time fee of 9.99 to create an account. You recieve 1 Magic 2013 booster, 4 New Player Tickets, 1 Ticket, 5 Avatars, 1 Planeswalker 2013 Deck Pack, and 300 cards. The planeswalker pack is used for a certain format exclusive to begginers, and can only be used with planeswalker cards (gold bordered).

Shadow Era is Free to Play, with cash shop as usual.

EDIT: Seems that i glanced too fast over OP's post and didn't realize he mentioned MTGO, aha. Well, either way Shadow Era is a good choice.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
  • SummerDayzSummerDayz Member Posts: 21

Not sure how this one stayed under my radar for so long: http://www.ederon.com/

Genuinely free, not p2w.  Can actually trade cards, unfortunately an uncommon feature for online card games.  It's resourceless as well, which speeds up gameplay quite a bit.  Extremely well balanced starters.  Recently released a kongregate version which has a separate playerbase and lots of low level activity right now.  Did I mention the game is over 7 years old now?  Usually when I stumble across these hidden gems they're practically dead, but Ederon is still well supported with plans for new major features, not just money grabbing card expansions.  Check it out.

• TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23
    Just a bump, thought I'd let ya all know I'm still looking on and off. So far I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully something close to MTGO will pop up, mtgo is just to expensive to play at any level competitively. Dropping a good amount of money isn't a problem but MTGO requires hundreds or more..
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by TheGambles
    Just a bump, thought I'd let ya all know I'm still looking on and off. So far I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully something close to MTGO will pop up, mtgo is just to expensive to play at any level competitively. Dropping a good amount of money isn't a problem but MTGO requires hundreds or more..

I've been looking for a good digital MTGO alternative for years. I haven't found one yet. I used to have a list of online CCG/TCG, but none of them were so great. Spectromancer was one of the better possibilities, but I could never get into it.

Is there any reason you won't give pauper a try on MTGO? It's just as fun as the other main formats, casually and competitively. The meta is usually just as diverse. There are two official types of pauper - standard and classic. Standard allows only more recent commons, and classic allows commons from any expansion online. There is a website with a bunch of info for both types:

http://pdcmagic.com/

The site has decklists and lists the upcoming free tournaments (which usually have real prizes such as tickets). The forum is semi active. As others have said, MTGO itself lacks any kind of worthwhile social aspect, but if you play in those free tournaments and get a little active on the forums, there is some community to be found and friends to be made.

More importantly, pauper decks don't cost hundreds of dollars. You can get a good, competitive one for less than $50. Some decks might be way cheaper than that. And pauper decks, in my opinion, are just as fun to play as decks with uncommons, rares, and mythics. The chance for combo's, synergy, interactivity, skill in deck building, etc are all there. Being restricted to commons doesn't mean the decks are too simple or boring or anything.

I just found my list of other online card games. This is outdated by a couple years, and as i said above, I found that none of these were really worth playing:

Alteil
    Berserk Online (I guess this one is offline now)
    Cardmaster Conflict
    Duels (I can't find a link for this one either)
    Ederon
    Estiah
    Fallen Worlds Online (free mtg imigation)
    Fantasy Cards RT
    Hero Mages
    Magic Duel
    Pox Nora
    Spectromancer
    War of Legends

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Duel of Champions: Might and Magic just came to North America recently and is not to bad..very polished gameboard qand can be played PC and IOS...

http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx

Packs can be bought with in-game currency and already has tournaments and on its second xpac this month.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Benedikt

new one:

http://beta.coraabia.com/

Unless there is a way to change the language on this one... it is useless to most forum goers here.

Originally posted by Sephastus

new one:

Unless there is a way to change the language on this one... it is useless to most forum goers here.

i am pretty sure it will have at least english version on release, it is still a beta yet

Originally posted by Sephastus

new one:

i am pretty sure it will have at least english version on release, it is still a beta yet

hm so i did try it and the game itself (by which i mean anything but tutorial texts and video texts) is in english

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    if you dont mind waiting a bit, HEX looks like it's gonna be awesome. They reached their kickstarter goal in no time. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game