Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Sandbox MMO of 2012

fuzzylogic11fuzzylogic11 Member UncommonPosts: 56

The title says it all. According to a poll done at http://sandboxer.org Wurm Online beat out EVE Online for the top spot in 2012. If you are into the whole sandbox genre give this game a shot.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=2874

Comments

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    To be honest, polls mean nothing. Polls about games being "top" mean less than nothing.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Well it's tops in my book, so I am happy to see this, but yeah... pools rally don't mean anything anymore.

Congrats to them anyway though, because they do deserve it imo!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I'm looking for something to tide me over to Darkfall.  Looking through the Games List, I saw this one.  Is it any good??  Is there a good population??  Any comments would be helpful.

I self identify as a monkey.

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

One of the popular YouTube game bloggers (Bashur, with 85k subscribers) has some recent videos on the PvP Epic cluster that might give you an idrea of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIzp5w2QzY  

http://www.twitch.tv/bashurverse   (Livestream)

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I'm looking for something to tide me over to Darkfall.  Looking through the Games List, I saw this one.  Is it any good??  Is there a good population??  Any comments would be helpful.

If you came from Darkfall, you may not like it.   Wurm is MUCH slower paced, and the combat isnt twitch based at all.   But you never know till you try it.

So much crap, so little quality.

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    The poll was posted on wurms woodscrap forum and it got a lot of votes from their own community. Does anyone really use sandboxer for gaming news?
  • XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Too bad I did not vote or know such poll, therefore it might be biased towards one side.
  • jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Eve is a decent sandbox but there is no other Sandbox like Wurm Online its the next level of Sandbox EvE really cant touch it from a Sandbox point of view!!!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

An obscure website lists a winner for a poll without listing how many people voted total or for each.

Yeah, Wurm can feel free to take that one.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Happy your an Eve Fanboi, its a decent game but Wurm is the best Sandbox out!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Hands down my favorite sandbox on the market today. Just wish it were a BIT faster.

Joined - July 2004

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by jfoytek
    Eve is a decent sandbox but there is no other Sandbox like Wurm Online its the next level of Sandbox EvE really cant touch it from a Sandbox point of view!!!

I"ve only recently stopped playing Eve (needed a break) and ha been looking for another Sandbox to play. I've been playing for 3 days, about 5 hours total and I can say this statement is definitely corrent. Wurm is crazy in depth. I dont' think I've ever played another game like it other than Minecraft. But even Minecraft can't touch the depth of this game that I've seen in 5 hours.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• RevnikRevnik Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

I"ve only recently stopped playing Eve (needed a break) and ha been looking for another Sandbox to play. I've been playing for 3 days, about 5 hours total and I can say this statement is definitely corrent. Wurm is crazy in depth. I dont' think I've ever played another game like it other than Minecraft. But even Minecraft can't touch the depth of this game that I've seen in 5 hours.

I love the depth of the crafting but that is all there is... The lack of decent combat and the lack of substanial purpose can almost be overlooked but then the new price increases... No way.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Revnik
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

I love the depth of the crafting but that is all there is... The lack of decent combat and the lack of substanial purpose can almost be overlooked but then the new price increases... No way.

This is why I went to Starquest Online. 

So much crap, so little quality.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Happy your an Eve Fanboi, its a decent game but Wurm is the best Sandbox out!

Its probably the better sandbox from a functional viewpoint, but it is not the better game. Wurm still has a long way to go before the UI becomes even remotely player friendly.

And yes. That kind of stuff does matter. Notch moved on from this game and created Minecraft which is a better sandbox than either of these, but alas not a true MMO. He proved that you indeed can make an imersive sandbox with an ease of play that even a 6 year old can understand, while also having loads of depth.

In that regard, Wurm and EVE are both failures as games, though EVE have been doing great strides over the last few years.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Well, it looks like the top sandbox has just nerfed farming to the extent that a large part of players are miffed at having to grind even more.