Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of the grind? Try Torchlight 2!

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
Just recently, Torchlight 2 received a major patch with some added content, support for the Steam workshop and the in house game editor known as GUTS. If you are looking to play a Diablo style ARPG that is fun and doesn't require a grind I highly recommend you check it out. Uniques/Legendary gear drop very generously compared to other games in the ARPG genre. Great solution for those of us with a life - as in working a professional job 40+ hours and juggling the wife (or husband) & kids (if you have any!)

Check it out on Steam!

The workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=200710

Runic news page describing their in house game editor for making mods - GUTS:

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2013/04/01/guts/

Synergies Mod - A professionally done overhaul mod that was recently as high as #2 on ModDB:

http://www.synergiesmod.com/index.php

PoE is a great game and a hell of an effort. However, after spending $30 on PoE back in Jan and now struggling to get the motivation to log in much anymore, I have to suggest TL2. A 30 min session will guarantee you an upgrade (or multiple upgrades!). Hardcore is hardcore - you die and your character is GONE! Similar map system for the end game. 

I'll be around for sure and am excited for what PoE will be at release, however I feel the game in it's current state is quickly losing its luster for me. The giant skill forest and spammy trade channel has just become too much for me I guess. I have free time to game despite my RL commitments, but I don't have nearly enough time to grind up the necessary currency for decent gear and high quality skill gems.

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    However, after spending $30 on PoE back in Jan and now struggling to get the motivation to log in much anymore, I have to suggest TL2. A 30 min session will guarantee you an upgrade (or multiple upgrades!).

What do you recommend for after we spend money on T2 and months later struggle to get the motivation to log in much anymore?

Not baiting, just thinking that your solution sounds like it will result in the same problem.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    However, after spending $30 on PoE back in Jan and now struggling to get the motivation to log in much anymore, I have to suggest TL2. A 30 min session will guarantee you an upgrade (or multiple upgrades!).

What do you recommend for after we spend money on T2 and months later struggle to get the motivation to log in much anymore?

It's not about the $30. I just mention that as a reference point so that readers of the post know that I didn't just free load it. It's about not wasting your time in order to get meaningful progression in game, especially for those of us with limited gaming time. I've spent more on TL2 anyway when you factor in my perfect world TL2 preorder and Steam 4 pack. 

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Torchlight 2 aint that great compared to PoE and even D3. At first i was amazed you could use mods to play Torchlight 2 and was really excited but no. just no. If all you want to do is solo your way through then sure its a fine enough game. But in order to play with others you have to have the -exact- same mod setup and its just frustrating, sheer frustrating trying to actually play co-op with others when you have to make sure you're using the same mods as everyone in the party.

Also the fact that you can't just easily right click from your friends list and invite to a party, you're forced to interact with their shitty lobby system to join a party is annoying too. PoE at least you can just right click from friends list and invite them to party, same in D3. I do love how Torchlight 2 is instanced loot same as D3. Hate PoE's near ffa loot.

Also skill system in torchlight 2 leaves a -lot- to be desired. In D3 you equiped the spells/runes/etc according to the situation, awesome. In PoE you have a veritable skill tree that seems like it offers soooooooo much diversity but if you really wanna survive at endgame you don't really have all that much choice to choose from as far as passive tree goes, but that was still better than Torchlight 2's skill tree.

The game isn't horrible. It was a fun enough time. But these games are almost meant to be played co-op and torchlight 2 failed harshly when it comes to co-op. It really did.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

If you are a fan of hack 'n' slash rpgs, TL2 is worth playing!

Even off steam, the game is on sale quite often for $9.99.  There are some great mods out there as well, including an 8 player coop mod!

It's got LAN too :D

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have been bouncing between TL2, POE and D3. Plenty of ARPG games to play nowdays. All of them fun for a few weeks / month stretch then play another for a bit.

I have had alot of fun with POE myself and I am sure will continue to do so, However I am playing some TL2 right now and enjoying it alot.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I bought Torchlight 1 and played a couple hours maybe.

POE kills it.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

I bought Torchlight 1 and played a couple hours maybe.

POE kills it.

Noooo.... I said TL2

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    If it's not an MMORPG, I'm not interested.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I havent try torchlight yet, i will eventually i like the first one but I never finish it.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Tired of X action game?  Try Y action game!

The cycle continues.

How about if people are tired of the grind, they should try Counterstrike?

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

Torchlight 2 was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in years. The game is pretty much just Torchlight 1 with multiplayer, and very bad multiplayer at that. Cheaters and hackers run rampant, and there's nothing that can be done about it except play only with people you know.

Furthermore, the game is just... uninspired. The environments are bland, the enemies are bland, the skills are boring (and many are outright useless), and the game just plain isn't fun. Combat quickly becomes a chore, and feels very jerky. The game just isn't very good. Runic obviously didn't put much effort into it, and it shows.

PoE and Diablo 3 are both far better choices. That, or go find a copy of Titan Quest.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by DalekThay

Torchlight 2 was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in years. The game is pretty much just Torchlight 1 with multiplayer, and very bad multiplayer at that. Cheaters and hackers run rampant, and there's nothing that can be done about it except play only with people you know.

Furthermore, the game is just... uninspired. The environments are bland, the enemies are bland, the skills are boring (and many are outright useless), and the game just plain isn't fun. Combat quickly becomes a chore, and feels very jerky. The game just isn't very good. Runic obviously didn't put much effort into it, and it shows.

PoE and Diablo 3 are both far better choices. That, or go find a copy of Titan Quest.

Titan Quest is fun, yeah.  It is even modable, unlike Diablo 3.  I usually got stuck playing Nature to keep my friends alive though, and got all the blame for when they died :(

Of course, another action rpg that is moddable, has multiplayer, has PVP, is challenging, doesn't include a RMAH is Diablo 2.  It's probably the most recent Blizzard game I've enjoyed for a significant length of time.

Sacred 2 wasn't bad, some nice one liners and a ton of quests, huge world, multiplayer, and the ability to summon a massive demon that would turn on you and your friends likely destroying you.  Fun times!