Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Star Conflict: Fast-Paced & Incredibly Fun

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Conflict is an addictive action-shooter taking place in space with a strict focus on combat. We put Star Conflict through its paces in preparation for today's review. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Star Conflict is a Space Combat MMO, published by Gaijin Entertainment, who have a fair few string of popular titles under their belt. Focusing on combat elements, rather than exploration and other traditional MMO aspects. Star Conflict boasts action-packed interplanetary skirmishes, extensive customization and beautiful graphics, all packaged up in a free-to-play title. 

Read more of George Dimmock's Star Conflict: Fast-Paced & Incredibly Fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Sounds cool, downloading now.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    It's fun but for me no cockpit view no sale, it's coming though apparently so I'll probably play ti when that happens.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    It's quite fun.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Not sure how htis is an MMO.

what is it, 16v16 or somethings, not exactly massive?

• nathanknaacknathanknaack Level Designer - CCP GamesMember UncommonPosts: 27
    I love it when official and reviewer screenshots include chat messages like "this game sucks." :)
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by nathanknaack
    I love it when official and reviewer screenshots include chat messages like "this game sucks." :)

Where is this coming from? There is no picture of that in this review o- o

Smile

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I think it was Steam that I read about this game and the reviews were pretty mixed.

I watched some video of it and something about it just seemed a little off.  The reviewer was liking the game but it just didn't catch my interest for some resaon.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Razeekster

Last pic in the article "this games sucks, but I'm still here typing in chat :P"

Guessing from the :P it wasn't a serious comment though.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Incredibly Shit I'd say... world of tanks in space with none of the flare and all of the ass.

Care to elaborate? 

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

I've been playing this game for about 2 months.  Imho, I haven't been more excited about a title like this in years - didn't even know that was still possible.  The company is purportedly going to be creating an open world pvp experience out of this game, regardless of how I find it difficult to see how that would work considering the arcade style fighting that it already has.  Regardless, I would definitely say that this game packs hours of fun both for the pvper as well as the pve fans.  

The only stipulation about this game is the direction of the developers, in past 2 months, while the core gameplay hasn't really changed, the rewards for varying game modes, in terms of credits, have been reduced to increase the grind in order to get better gear/ships.  This grind can be avoided with the purchase of "Golden Standards".  Another aspect to the game is that there's a license, which is a premium item that gives you 50% xp bonus and faction bonus, it's also like in WoT where you have to keep upping it.  

So my end verdict is to play the game, but to not pay a dime for it and to see if the developers realize that even though they have a great concept, gameplay wise, that if they decide to be obnoxiously freemium then they'll continue to bleed players.  

That's my honest analysis.. I love the game, but it's like the developers know they have a market for this type cornered. 

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    16 vs16 space battlegrounds.. no thanks did that in 1995, looks nice though. Hopefully one day we'll get a twitch version of EvE Online.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Vid would have been good. I'll dig one out.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by injenu

So my end verdict is to play the game, but to not pay a dime for it and to see if the developers realize that even though they have a great concept, gameplay wise, that if they decide to be obnoxiously freemium then they'll continue to bleed players.  

Dang Injenu, they have to pay their salaries somehow.  I hate obnoxious pestering or trickery to get your money just as much as the next guy, but the company has to make money or they will go out of business.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    It's a natural variation on Gaijin's War Thunder but it's not an MMO. It's another lobby based match maker game. That doesn't make it bad, it's just not an MMO. I'll have to give it a look. If it's anything like War Thunder in terms of polish and general gameplay it should be good fun.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    There's nothing to report on with new MMOs, so we get this stuff instead.  Kinda irks me sometimes, because I read the whole review, get excited for the MMO, then find out it's not an MMO at all, let alone an MMORPG.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Not a MMO, but come on guys, you could guess that from the fact they always call games with even a tiny amount of multiplayer MMOs now. Assume it is not a MMO until proven wrong is the best stance. :)
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not an MMO... you play with a limited amount of other people like WOT, counterstrike, COD or whatever.

Still its good fun for a free game.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I just hope they get their economic model right. The one they have currently in War Thunder is FUBAR. Ever since patch 1.29 came out. They need to fix that soon and I'm hoping that this game doesn't make the same mistakes with the pricing of new ships and repairs etc.
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Siris23

Originally posted by Razeekster

Last pic in the article "this games sucks, but I'm still here typing in chat :P"

Guessing from the :P it wasn't a serious comment though.

Still quite funny. Great catch!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

lol.. good catch

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I wish you reviewers would stop catagorizing FPS games as MMO's because they are not.  Strictly combat games do not have enough MMO elements to be called such.  Put this game where it belongs on your FPSGURU site, it most certainly does NOT belong on this site.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I wish you reviewers would stop catagorizing FPS games as MMO's because they are not.  Strictly combat games do not have enough MMO elements to be called such.  Put this game where it belongs on your FPSGURU site, it most certainly does NOT belong on this site.

I think you got MMO mixed up with RPG good sir. 

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Originally posted by Entinerint

It's fun but for me no cockpit view no sale, it's coming though apparently so I'll probably play ti when that happens.

Check out War Thunder for piloting with a cockpit view. It's optional in all difficulties and required in full realism difficulty. I only found it and started playing the other day so I can't say much about it but it looks pretty and is good fun so far.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Redcor
    Sounds cool, downloading now.

Yeah. but how pay2win is the game? That si where it truly determines how good it is, most f2p games are mostly pay2win where you don't really have a chance in anyway without spending hundreds in the cash shop. So the question is: How pay2win is Star Conflict?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I dunno alot of these "MMO" games aren't very mmo, eg: Leage of Legends, fps games etc, they lack the features that should categorize it as a mmo. I don't call sitting in a lobby much of a mmo experence.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!