Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How long does it take you to know whether an mmorpg is for you?

Comments

• Depends. Sometimes the basics are so badly done it only takes me 15 minutes. Other times I need to hit the level cap to find out.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,278Member Uncommon

It depends. Not long if I see I'm questing for levels and have talent trees. Been there done that.

It took me about 2 weeks with AoW to say, "Hmm we may have something here." 

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,453Member Uncommon

Well quite often in the very first minute.

There is actually a ton of stuff to look at with your eyes wide open to see how a game was designed.

once you learn and know what to look for in game design,there is pleanty to see in the first half hour that will leave you shaking your head or have you continue to see if it gets better.

There is actually a lot to see before you even get in the game,example Racial/character design.

there are some real tel ltale signs you know you have just stepped into a cookie cutter lazy game design.

If i enter a game and immediately i see yellow markers over npc heads,i knwo i have just sstepped into the laziest cookie cutter game design possible.The term role play means choice,directing me to yellow markers is anything but.It also ruins immersion and realism,i have NEVER in all my life seen the common sense in a marker over a npc head.

Now if they add some mechanics or depth to it,then i can accept it as being creative,different and shows me SOME thought was put into it.

Samoan Diamond

• TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

I can tell after a few hours.  Graphics, performance, gameplay, features, world/character design and animation.  These are all things I notice very quickly.

I do not force my self to give games a 'fair' chance.  There's just too many games out there and too few hours to play them.  Most of the time, I like it or I don't.  Sometimes I'm not sure or it has certain things I like/dislike.  In those cases, I need to play longer to get a feel for whether or not I want to invest my time. 

But I don't feel compelled to play a game if I don't like it. There are quite a few gaming masochists around here.  To each there own I guess, but I 'owe' a game nothing.  On the contrary, if I pay for something, they owe me. 

Nor do I need to impose some logical thought process in my like or dislike of a game.  Sometimes my reactions are intangible or irrational.  I feel no need or compulsion to render logical justification for my desire to be entertained and what qualifies for entertainment. 

• Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

All I have to do is look at the feature list and a few gameplay videos. 

If its WoW esque its not for me. 

If its like L2, UO, DAoC or any of the other older games with actual MMO content. Its for me. Unfortunately we haven't had a decent game like those in a very long time. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• RedcorRedcor Austin, TXPosts: 426Member

Age of Conan -( my 1st ) I knew in 5 lvls , loved it and played for 4 years every day

Aion -( loved it after 10 lvls then I got to lvl 25 ganksville and dropped it.

WoW -uninstalled right away, didn't like the graphics ( to cartoony after playing Conan)

LoTR -same as WoW

Star Trek Online -grew on me after 20 lvls and rolled 3 toons to max and then quit ( will go back to play Romulan)

Neverwinter Beta -knew right away I did't like the graphics and it felt dated

SWTOR  -after 20 lvls I just couldnt get into it

GW2 -I liked it right away, felt fresh, artistic, and fun. ( Still playing )

Defiance Beta -I knew right away. I play allot of pro shooters and it felt sloppy with bad ai and ui

TSW - I played for a week and was just not into it 

Rift - tried to like it over and over but didn't jive

EVE -after about an hour uninstalled

Planetside 2 - I liked it right away but soon got bored

**I think its a matter or personal taste and expectations along with how they compare to your first true love.**

DISCLAIMER : These are simply my opinions on these games no need to get bent and defend them.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Usually I can tell within the first hour.  Over the year I've lost my tolerance for games where I feel like I've done this before.  I'm not going to wait until "end game" for them to put their best foot forward.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Usually I can tell within the first hour.  Over the year I've lost my tolerance for games where I feel like I've done this before.  I'm not going to wait until "end game" for them to put their best foot forward.

QFT

• DibdabsDibdabs FelvershamPosts: 2,604Member Uncommon

It takes maybe 15 minutes or less to make a decision, but sometimes I'll stick with it for a couple of days.  The first impression made in the initial 10 to 15 minutes is usually never wrong though.

It's no different to trying a new food or listening to some new music - you KNOW whether you like it or not very soon!

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by dave6660

QFT

same for me.. although if the game happens to have some systems that really peak my interest I may give it some more time to see if it grows on me.. but really nowadays I can tell within the first couple hours if the game will be one I want to invest some time into or not

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kjempffkjempff AarhusPosts: 883Member Uncommon

Day0 Reasons to never try:

PvP centric. Gameplay video showing excessive battle effects (lightshow), Manga style characters, sick and tiered of floating islands and gravity defying stuff without a good reason.

Day1 Reasons to say byebye:

Feels wierd. Handles poorly. Too many poor game design decisions. Unable to do proper keybinding.

Day2 Reasons:

Rather watch a movie than starting the game today. Railroading is expected on day 1 but if it continues on day 2. Shows signs that I need to spend money already. If I haven't grouped or communicated with anyone by the end of day 2. Day 2 needs to have a breakthrough moment like a fun boss fight, a revelation of things to come, succeed/finish something that was challenging or something like that.

Day3 Reasons:

Might aswell play this other game atleast it is ...., already hinting the end/endgame is comming before a month.

If I am still playing on day 3, it is good enough for awhile - If I am still playing on day 7, the game is good enough to return to even though it may have issues now - If I am still playing after a month, its on the list to be recommended.

• JaedorJaedor Denver, COPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Originally posted by Jaedor
    Slowest fail was Aion; I made it to tier 3 before discovering the endless grind. Was very disappointed because I had invested significant time and money, and it was decent up to that point.
    Is there a point where the time invested factors into the "I wanna quit!" mode? I have played a couple of games where my time already invested kept me going longer than I usually would have.

Good question. For me, it was investing in three closed betas, two open betas and a CE version of the game, then getting to level 28 and discovering the game had run out of quests and I was supposed to grind my way to 50. My own fault, because I'd never gotten that far in any of the betas and hadn't read anything on the forums about a dearth of options. But I was confused, then shocked, then pissed. So I guess I hit the "I wanna quit!" point when I got po'd. I felt really ripped off and even today, with all the changes to the game, I auto-delete emails promoting Aion. Guess I'm still po'd. ;)

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Whether you buy a game, play f2p, or download a trial: From the time you log in and make it to character creation, how long does it take you to figure out whether this game is for you? Most MMOs I pretty much know before I login to create my first character whether it's going to be something I play for an hour or something I'll enjoy for a month or 2. I don't waste my time downloading or buying every MMO that is ever released. I pick a few that I find most interesting, read up a lot about them, and try them out in beta before buying. I'm making an exception to that rule for CU but only because it is basically a sequel to my favorite MMO, DAOC.

What are the variables that influence you the most? If a game requires end game PvE raiding, farming, or gear progression, it's a certainty I won't stick with it more than a month or two. Same if it is a large scale PvP (RvR) game but only has 2 factions. That never works and games that try it always suck. If a game has no PvP until level cap or until level 20+, there's almost no chance I'll even download it. I can only take 10-13 or so levels of PvEing at the start of a new MMO before I need a break to kill other players.

What is the fastest you've made your decision? Several games I made my character, logged in, and almost immediately logged back out and un-installed. It may not be entirely fair to those games, but if I'm not feeling you at the beginning then there's no point for me to force myself to play deeper. Firefall is a noted example I tried in beta. I took one look at the graphic style in game and knew I didn't want to look at it long enough to experience the game itself.

Have you ever changed your mind about a game you had judged harshly and then found yourself going back to and enjoying? No. Once I leave an MMO, I almost never go back and especially not if I disliked or wasn't impressed by it in the first place. 

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Like any other game, it doesn't take long. Usually, a couple of hours is enough for me to decide if I like the game.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    Like a few others here it's either feature list & video or the first hour or two. It took me about five years after EQ/EQ2 to lose patience with any linear affair.
  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    Like a few others here it's either feature list & video or the first hour or two. It took me about five years after EQ/EQ2 to lose patience with any linear affair.
  • olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon

I take it in several different levels:

- first look: I want an immersive, virtual world to play in, with a pleasing art style. I knew within the first 10 minutes of SWTOR that I didn't want to play it. Same with WoW. I don't even need to understand the playstyle, if I don't like being in the game, then I don't like it. F2P doesn't matter, I quit SWTOR when still in closed beta, when it was free.

- second look, playing the game: I like RPG games, not shooters, and not just PvP. So that weeds out a lot of games. But, if I do like the environment, and it *is* the kind of game I could enjoy, then I will play it for a while. This usually means making several characters, and playing them at least to lvl 4 or so. F2P, or a trial, lets me do this.

- third look: playing into the higher levels. If I like the environment, and the game is enjoyable, I will then play it into a higher level, usually the 30's or so. By now, I'm willing to sub or pay cash to play, and intend to play for a while (months or more). Good crafting and mini-games (fishing, card games, etc) help. If I really like the game, then I'll pay for a year sub at a time, even if I don't play it regularly.

- end game: rarely do I last very long in the end game. I played Vanguard until the end, when it became all raiding. Same with DAOC (ToA killed it for me), although I liked the RvR of DAOC. In Ryzom, I got to harvesting lvl 250 items, and then quit. I did however play CoH at the end for quite a while.

Short version: I can know within 10 minutes if I don't want to play a game.

------------
    RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon

Some games, I've found myself unable to get through the tutorial even after trying 4-5 times. I will be honest. It was EVE.

Playing since 2009.

did not get thru tutorial yet.

after the 5th or so mission I said "leave me alone I want to mine, not do this stuff".

that was my last mission in eve.

My point is simply that FOR ME the tutorial did not in any way attract me to the game. Freedom and the mining belts full of newbies with the occasional hulk boss-mode mining did. I'm still mining. :D

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Originally posted by Redcor

Age of Conan -( my 1st ) I knew in 5 lvls , loved it and played for 4 years every day

Aion -( loved it after 10 lvls then I got to lvl 25 ganksville and dropped it.

WoW -uninstalled right away, didn't like the graphics ( to cartoony after playing Conan)

LoTR -same as WoW

Star Trek Online -grew on me after 20 lvls and rolled 3 toons to max and then quit ( will go back to play Romulan)

Neverwinter Beta -knew right away I did't like the graphics and it felt dated

SWTOR  -after 20 lvls I just couldnt get into it

GW2 -I liked it right away, felt fresh, artistic, and fun. ( Still playing )

Defiance Beta -I knew right away. I play allot of pro shooters and it felt sloppy with bad ai and ui

TSW - I played for a week and was just not into it 

Rift - tried to like it over and over but didn't jive

EVE -after about an hour uninstalled

Planetside 2 - I liked it right away but soon got bored

**I think its a matter or personal taste and expectations along with how they compare to your first true love.**

DISCLAIMER : These are simply my opinions on these games no need to get bent and defend them.

I like how you broke that down, so I'm going to try to do the same. /copycat

WoW - Rolled my first charcter up to 10 and hated it. Decided to give it another try a few days later and found my groove, played for 5 years

STO - Was immediatedly hooked in beta, bought LTS and CE. Still playing on and off

Atlantica online - Was kinda wonky at first, but I gave it a shot to see how the mercenary system played out. Really liked that one once I got going.

WAR - Same as WoW but took about 3 character tries to find my groove. Only played the trial, but still considering subbing to see it all.

AoC - Uninstalled after about 15 minutes. Couldn't get into it for some reason.

CoX - see AoC

DCUO - Early impressions didn't look good, but when I got my beta invite, I was immediately hooked. Pre-oreded my CE the next day. Played non-stop for months. Still have a soft spot for this one, even though I rarely login any more.

Sword 2 - Uninstalled after 10 min.....

Gw2 - Played for a week. I see it's potential, but it just didn't hook me.

TOR - Rolled my main up to the end of Hoth and a Sith up to about 20. Loved it, but not enough to justify paying montly for it. Will eventually go back.

LotRO - Played for a couple of months. Liked it, but haven't gone back once my initial buy-in expired. Still think I could sub to it and be happy...

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• VyntVynt Glendale, CAPosts: 632Member Uncommon

I can usually tell within an hour, but often play for 2-3 hours. I then base it on a few things. If I like the combat but am bored in other things, I give it more time. If I am having any kind of fun at all, I will give it more of a chance because things often open up.

I rarely quit if the game starts with a tutorial. Tutorials can be bad but the game is great, so I keep playing after that.

I've gone back to games that I hoped I would like but didn't and still didn't like them.

Some games, I will have fun in them for a while, but they just don't have longevity for me. I never play to get to the end game where the "fun" starts because if I am not having fun on the way, it is just a waste of time. MMORPGs have always been about progression and the journey for me, so games that are suppose to start at the end game just make no sense to me. I'm not against "end games", usually like them,such as in eq and  daoc. I just need to enjoy the majority of my time in the game.

People that say the real game starts at the end game, well that is just their type of playstyle. I've played games that people have said that and enjoyed leveling through the game.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,552Member Uncommon

"Whether you buy a game, play f2p, or download a trial: From the time you log in and make it to character creation, how long does it take you to figure out whether this game is for you?

What are the variables that influence you the most? 

What is the fastest you've made your decision?

Have you ever changed your mind about a game you had judged harshly and then found yourself going back to and enjoying?

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................."

If I get past character cust I will probably be playing for several days.

Char cust is big.  If I can't somehow make a character that would fit into a fantasy story I might write I'm not playing.  Along with that I do not play human or robot.  Any other fantasy char is good.  [I would like to see a game where you could play as a cenataur].  Mostly I play elf.  Vampire if I can get it.  So what I play influences me greatly.  After that I like realism, story line, beautiful surroundings, exploration, life needs (hunting), skill ups, and killing shiz.  If I can make a friend or two great but not needed.  I do like MMO's because of the "life" people add to a game.  I will leave an mmo if there isn't a lot of other players.  I like the non-NPC movement all around me and stopping to watch what everyone is doing.  Fantasy realism is a big thing; I remember being offended in Lineage II that char's craniums got augmented if they ate the wrong potion.  It was funny and cute which I like but that was not a cutsy setting and felt out of place.

I've left at char cust many times and hit uninstall.  That's pretty fast.

Yeah, the only MMO I ever stuck with was Mabinogi.  I must of reinstalled ten times before finally getting tired of thinking I would ever leave.  I appear to be stuck there for good because of their unique music system.  Not that I play much anymore.  I just stopped fooling myself with uninstalling it.

Summed up - In gaming I want to be artistic and kill shit.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

If a game absolutely isn't for me, I'll know it within five minutes.

There are, of course, other games that are somewhat entertaining for a short period of time, but do not offer longevity that I'm looking for in an MMO.  Not really sure how long it takes for that to become apparant, though.  GW2, for instance, was pretty fun until I got my second toon to 80, but I did realize along the way that it was not the virtual world I was looking for. 

EVE is another interesting example.  Solid game, very deep and intriguing, but I never got into it, even after multiple attempts.

/shrug

• AdamantineAdamantine NowherePosts: 3,514Member Common

Hrr only tried 3 MMOs so far:

- Lineage 2: got shanghaied into it by a friend. Was surprised to find me enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Still missing some of the elements in other games, like overenchanting, castle sieges, or the Tyrant class. The original game is just some Aion clone now, though.

- Guild Wars: After checking out the class system for years and loving it, I actually bought the game. Result: bored to death after three days. No crafting system worth mentioning, trivialistic gameplay with no challenge whatsoever, boring quests, and never seeing a soul once you left town.

- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Originally just figured I wanted a new MMO and this time I wanted one with a huge gameworld. Quickly found out that Vanguard had a LOT more to offer than just a huge gameworld.

About games I checked out:

- WoW: disapproved strongly of the silly comic look. Quickly hated other elements, like three classes per class. The biggest turnoff was probably the attitude of the players, though.

- AoC: I read the Wikipedia page about it and said "meh, thanks, I'm good". For example, only three races ? Seriously ? Its more a shooter than a RPG.

- LotRO: I dont really like LotR that much in the first place. And the way they did LotRO wasnt helping. Bards as healers. No female dwarfs. Nah, thanks, I'm good.

- Darkfall: read the Wikipedia page about it and went all "wtf who would ever want to play this game".

- Rift: Awfull class system. Awful race choices. Took me less than 5 minutes to figure that out and lose all interest.

- SW:TOR : I was *so* hyped about this game. But the closer it got to release, the more absurd the descriptions of the game became. In the end, I never ever played it.

• mmoskimmoski plymouthPosts: 282Member

For a game released I check a few videos, and can tell from them within the first 5 min's if the game hits any of my check list, then try it, generally its about 10-20min's in where I can tell if it's going to hold me. Unreleased games I'm a lot more wary of, even more so after GW2 it just didn't and hasn't delivered on what I expected (I'm not bashing gw2 here btw) just the sPvP content wasn't / isn't as good as GW1.

I presume everyone who's played some mmo's/genre has a mental check list of somekind.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower RdamPosts: 1,245Member

Whether you buy a game, play f2p, or download a trial: From the time you log in and make it to character creation, how long does it take you to figure out whether this game is for you?

What are the variables that influence you the most? 

What is the fastest you've made your decision?

Have you ever changed your mind about a game you had judged harshly and then found yourself going back to and enjoying?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:

People often say it's innappropriate to review an mmorpg until you make it to "end game" and experience what it has to offer. But we all know that there are some games where we just wouldn't do that even if we were paid to. 

Some games, I've found myself unable to get through the tutorial even after trying 4-5 times. I will be honest. It was EVE. I know that is a well respected game. I'm just not into it. I know my personal experience has nothing to do with whether EVE is a good game or not. It's just my experience. Other games, I had fun at first, and made it to the middle like level 30/50 or 40/80 and suddenly just hit a wall and didn't want to log in any more. 

Other games, I've made it to the endgame and played for a while and eventually burned out. That's natural. It will happen to any game eventually, so that's not what I'm asking about here. Just then one's you've play for a bit and then just said, "Meh. Not for me. I'm out." 

Asheron's call 2 i remember first enetering gameworld called Dereth i was hooked for life first day.

Dakrfall when i first enter gameworld called Agon that was in beta my first impression was that it felt like morrowind and i was sold for that game(first day) more then 2 years and still think it was great game.

Guild Wars 2 did at first what DFO did for me game world looked beautifull and WvWvW at first also awesome but after few months community was alien to me nobody speaks plus zerks and constantly instance crawling and treatmill i quit after 5 months.

Lineage2 was also for while great but not appeal to me as much as AC2 or DFO did.

Failors after first few days AoC WoW and many many free 2 play mmo's

So my first impression will decide for me if i keep playing or not most of time in first days.