Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not understand why you call Raiding against TES IP, but they are making a PVP Focused Game.

1235»

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    Originally posted by kidas52
    How is that more like TES IP exactly?? Don't quite remember TES being famous for its PvP content.

There is no point in making TES an MMORPG at all unless it involves PVP.  Otherwise why not just make another single player game?  Or a cooperative mode option in a single player game or something if people want to explore with friends.  MMORPGs only make sense if PVP is involved.

Exactly, they have made great pve games already and now they want to make an mmo.  They can now target a whole new crowd with pvp, a community that is sad because recent games have not satisfied the pvp community.  This is a great idea for them, doesn't mean they can't make another pve game for those fans...but this is very smart on their part.

So wait, because they have made some pve stuff its now pvper's turn? Seriously? The levels of entitlement are hilarious.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    How is that more like TES IP exactly?? Don't quite remember TES being famous for its PvP content.

There is no point in making TES an MMORPG at all unless it involves PVP.  Otherwise why not just make another single player game?  Or a cooperative mode option in a single player game or something if people want to explore with friends.  MMORPGs only make sense if PVP is involved.

Exactly, they have made great pve games already and now they want to make an mmo.  They can now target a whole new crowd with pvp, a community that is sad because recent games have not satisfied the pvp community.  This is a great idea for them, doesn't mean they can't make another pve game for those fans...but this is very smart on their part.

So wait, because they have made some pve stuff its now pvper's turn? Seriously? The levels of entitlement are hilarious.

Its rather steering clear from already saturated market, which are PvE games with shallow PvP systems, such as instanced capture the flags or other mini-PvP games.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    as if rehashing DAoC needed explaining. it's what mythic people do.

Ah that's funny (non-sarcasm here - it is funny...)

I guess TES fans were hoping Mythic had grown a little and were capable of a little more...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

For you that may be true, but for a lot and I mean a lot of other players this is absolutely false.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

"Your first hours in TESO, at least, will be PvE focused before the option to transition into competitive play. "Yeah we don't know exactly when that point is," says Firor. "Right now it's on level 10, which is about 15 hours of gameplay. Our thinking is at least a few hours of PvE to get the controls and how combat works – we don't want to throw 'em out there too soon, but we always want it all to be up to the player to choose."

All well and good, because for many prospective players the focus is overwhelmingly on PvP" - Mark Firor TESO Game Director

Oh looks like you get atleast your first few hours in the RPG immersion everyone has come to associate with The Elder Scrolls Franchise.  Then you better put your troll hats on and get ready to for all chat "pwnt you noob!"

I think one could make an argument for raiding and pvp in a TES mmo provided they just take what is already in the game and expand upon it.

Heck, the Oblvion Gates in "Oblvion" could be construed as a raid. Since this game has Molag Bal as a central protagonist I don't see why gates to his world can't be opened up and "raids" into his territory for various things (heck, even large group quests) can't be done.

There is so much in the world that talk about various groups fighting other groups. So pvp can fit.

It's not whether it's added it's how it's added that's an issue.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its funny what does and does not work going against the IP. Rather poor excuse against something instead of giving a good valid reason. If its 'we want to deliver story focused content' then sure maybe could work or 'we want an end game that is sandbox focused not involving some raid' or some kind of good reasoning though it seems to lack in that explination.

Its fine if you don't do something, I just don't agree with using the 'IP' excuse when theres already plenty of compremsies and changes on it already that go against it to begin with.

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by GreenHell
    I'm not even a big DAOC fanboi, my first mmo was swg and since then every mmo has been shit and the communities have been shit and i don't even want to play with any of you. That is how the genre makes me feel today. There is no community in mmo's these days it's all about how can i use these people to progress my character.

I loved SWG but to say that community was something great is a lie. There were just as many a**holes, elitists, and people using other people for progression ( gear is not the only form of progression) as there is in any modern MMO.

The more I play MMOs the more obvious it becomes that a lot of people do not play them to escape reality or for enjoyment. Instead they bring all of their problems, mental issues and lonliness in to the game with them. Maybe these are just my experiences. It's possible. I have seen people do some weird sh*t in MMOs.

As far as communities go I don't think any game has ever had a nicer, more helpful community than Ryzom. Yet another game that no one ever played.

I agree swg did have it's asshole but there was a sense of interdependancy, nowadays you only have to press a button and you're in a dungeon with 4 other strangers. SWg made you interact on a personal level reardless if the person was a douchebag or not, Today you're just playing with souless avatars. Remember waiting for 10 minutes for a shuttle in swg? todays gamer would freak out over that instead of taking the oppertunity to be social.

Why do you want or need interdependency in order to foster community?  Is it an issue of shyness or lack of social skills that keeps people from playing nice and friendly with others unless it's forced through interdependent mechanics?  EQ was the eptiome of interdependent gameplay and that game had all the same social and anti-social issues of today's games.  In fact, it was a result of past incidences such as the PKing in UO and the guild hostage taking of spawns and raids that brought about all of the 'carebear' changes we see in the genre today.

Originally posted by Sovrath

"Your first hours in TESO, at least, will be PvE focused before the option to transition into competitive play. "Yeah we don't know exactly when that point is," says Firor. "Right now it's on level 10, which is about 15 hours of gameplay. Our thinking is at least a few hours of PvE to get the controls and how combat works – we don't want to throw 'em out there too soon, but we always want it all to be up to the player to choose."

All well and good, because for many prospective players the focus is overwhelmingly on PvP" - Mark Firor TESO Game Director

Oh looks like you get atleast your first few hours in the RPG immersion everyone has come to associate with The Elder Scrolls Franchise.  Then you better put your troll hats on and get ready to for all chat "pwnt you noob!"

I think one could make an argument for raiding and pvp in a TES mmo provided they just take what is already in the game and expand upon it.

Heck, the Oblvion Gates in "Oblvion" could be construed as a raid. Since this game has Molag Bal as a central protagonist I don't see why gates to his world can't be opened up and "raids" into his territory for various things (heck, even large group quests) can't be done.

There is so much in the world that talk about various groups fighting other groups. So pvp can fit.

It's not whether it's added it's how it's added that's an issue.

Raiding and PvP wouldn't be an issue if they weren't or weren't likely to become central to the game's experience.  It is labeled as an Elder Scrolls game after all and I find it amusing and alarming when I see all of the blowback from some in the community when we ask to see more ES and less of the PvP / Raid baggage that comes from MMOs in general.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I wish the genre could split into two different genres of gaming so we could get rid these blizzard bots. Just have blizzard based mmo's and mmorpg's.

Because WoW was the first MMO to have raids, right?