Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Wayback Wednesday with the Mythic Crew

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Wayback Wednesday revisited Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning with the Mythic crew including Keaven Freeman, Kevin Calvert, and Tim Chappell. Check out their epic adventures in WAR. WAAAGGGHHH!

WAR is based on the Warhammer fantasy IP from Games Workshop. WAR pits the armies of Order versus the armies of Destruction and is a realm versus realm focused game; however, WAR also contains your standard fantasy genre MMO tropes. While WAR is one of the middle aged MMOs on the market it has made two rather important contributions to the genre that have been central to a number of recent MMO releases.

Read (and watch!) more of Rob Lashley's Warhammer Online: Wayback Wednesday with the Mythic Crew.

A public quest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

This is one of the few games I actually got to Alpha test.  I really did love the game for a while but eventually, like many MMO's (most in the last 6 years) it began to fall off.

They were constantly trying to balance the classes and every time they would, there was a new flavor of the month.  Now I know this happens with a lot of games, but it just seemed like it was all the time at one point.

As many have stated over and over, I truely wish WAR would go F2P/B2P.  I would jump back on in a second.  As much as I used to hate F2P games, in this modern market, it's becoming harder and harder to see myself pay monthly fees.

Oh well... GL to them.

I am really sad that the THQ 40k MMO was canceled.  That was one I was SO looking forward to.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    make this game b2p or f2p already, or release some new content to justify the sub...

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    love this game!
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Fluxii

I am really sad that the THQ 40k MMO was canceled.  That was one I was SO looking forward to.

So was I.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by Fluxii

So was I.

same here.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'd totally forgotten about it but I really did like the Tome of Knowledge. Now that's something er''rybody should copy.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    just re-enlisted because of this and wanting a pvp fix (hate gw2s pve which seems to be the quickest way to level).  Says you get 14 free days of time added on to your 30 when you resub but the way it looks it seems like I received 30 free days
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by jawali
    make this game b2p or f2p already, or release some new content to justify the sub...

I wonder how many units they would sell for b2p if they offered it. I'm pretty sure I'd bite.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Blah blah blah, all we need to know is whats being done about saving the game, making it better and F2P?

Sounds like NOTHING

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Not sure, it looked doomed in it's themepark modelling of WH40K universe. Instead of modelling HERO LEVEL as in RPG, such WH40K needs to find the best fit. I think a MMOFPS with all sorts of vehichle and ship support and planet conquests... in the future.

WAR had fun pvp but should have been 3 factions.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

I love the game, but the current event killed it for me and I haven't played in over a month. All people did in the Return to Ekrund event was trade kills and objectives. That is not real PVP to me which is why I was playing and enjoying the game before the event.

When I called people out on it they used the weakest justifcations for what they were doing and told me if I wanted to PVP go back to my tier and do it. Well since there is only so many people who play this game and most were doing the event my already empty feeling tier was completely dead. I emailed the devs about it and asked if this was what they intended or if the trading was exploting the game I got no response, so I just quit and moved on to another game.

I miss WAR, but I don't find any enjoyment in just trading kills and objectives. That is not what I am looking for in a PVP game.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Unless they've done a lot of low-level code work on the game in the last couple of years (years in which there was very little perceptable development mind you) I'd suspect that transitioning to F2P would bring back all the performance issues the game had back when it was popular.

That and they haven't remedied the population balancing issues that plagued the game from launch until it dwindled.  Two sides means one inevitably stomps the other into the ground, which sets up the death spiral for server population as people leave or reroll to the winning side. 

If they could figure out fixes for these things, WAR F2P would be a juggernaught.  It's got fantastic art direction and tremedous fidelity to the IP, and the mechanics and classes / factions were actually quite different and fun (if horribly unbalanced for much of the game's history).  With a decent monitization model it could support futher PvE development and really flourish.

Sadly I don't think it's in the cards - but it would be nice to hope.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I cannot see them making it f2p or b2p for there are too many players still subbing to the game, in my opinion the monthly cost is way to much for the game, they need to sort that out first then maybe more players would come back.

Class imbalance is still out of control, hackers still plague this game, bugged classes still need to be fixed from when the game started .. the list is endless ... but if you can turn a blind eye to these things this game is still loads of fun.

It semms to me that there are only a couple of employees working on the fixes and updates, if they actually got a team together then maybe after 5years of the game being released they could implement some proper updates.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

3 factions and this game would still be installed.

i was in mid beta and knew the 1 sided onslaughts were going to destroy the servers.

so I played until we capped the server and I quit.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by steamtank

3 factions and this game would still be installed.

i was in mid beta and knew the 1 sided onslaughts were going to destroy the servers.

so I played until we capped the server and I quit.

I agree I always felt that the two faction RvR was the games major downfall. They should have had Order v. Distruction v. Chaos (Chaos could have been its own faction if they had used Chaos dwarves and a wider range of chaos units). I don't know it just didn't seem to work. It was a fun game for a while and public quests really helped games like GW2 and Rift get the idea and run with it. It's just sad that the game fell appart so baddly. 

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by jakin

With a decent monitization model it could support futher PvE development and really flourish.

I don't think those two go together for WAR. I like WAR's PvE but WAR is the game to go to for its RvR. It is a shame because its dungeons never recieved the publics love that they deserved. Hunters Vale and Mount Gunbad come to mind.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    I'd totally forgotten about it but I really did like the Tome of Knowledge. Now that's something er''rybody should copy.

You know they copied it from LOTRO right (Deed log)? Just saying. ;-)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Yes Lotro's Deed log was first, but the Tome was a lot better. Many of us before have commented on how we would like to see the idea of the Tome in newer MMO's. One of the many great MMO ideas that appears in maybe one or two newer MMOs but never really gets taken up.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Scot
    Yes Lotro's Deed log was first, but the Tome was a lot better. Many of us before have commented on how we would like to see the idea of the Tome in newer MMO's. One of the many great MMO ideas that appears in maybe one or two newer MMOs but never really gets taken up.

How is the Tome any better? It's pretty much an "exact" copy of the Deed log of LOTRO, just graphically different designed, but functionally exactly the same.

LOTRO's deed log is pretty much the foundation of the Achievement systems you see in many games today.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I'm playing this game and enjoying it somewhat. It has to be said though, the business model is totally out of whack.

It's not just P2P, it's P2P with a cash shop and that is just plain stupid. Make it sub only or cash shop only, not both if you want more players, Mythic.

If I were in charge, this game would triple population in a week... I never say this usually but in this case, I think pretty much anyone would have the same success.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

"If I were in charge, this game would triple population in a week"

How would you do that with the very limited resources they currently have? You would not be able to make any major changes in one week even if you were able to get more resources.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    It wasn't rats, it was bear paws.

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• EtaewEtaew Member UncommonPosts: 7
    A transcription of the community questions and answers can be found here: http://www.etaew.net/wayback-wednesday-warhammer-online-edition/
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by sketocafe

You know they copied it from LOTRO right (Deed log)? Just saying. ;-)

I loved the deed log from LotRO but I wouldn't call it a copy. The deed log in LotRO for me was a max level advancement system. The ToK was more robust.