Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Set the graphics to "very low" and realized this is the ultimate SWG NGE

Yesterday I got massive lag and low framerates in a warzone and for the first time I tried setting all graphics to "very low".

first of all, wow that looks butt ugly, and second.. it looked actually like 2005 SWG... but... the worlds were below SWG standards.

Went to Tattooine and the extremely ugly graphics settings showed how little gameplay mechanics there are under the hood in SWTOR.

Try it out.  It looks like SWG but with less features, less freedom and nothing to do but kill X and some voiceover cutscenes.

SWTOR desperately needs a ton of interesting mechanics in the future and new things to do.

housing, minigames, space simulation, day night cycles, dynamic NPC behaviour,  bigger more open worlds, sandbox features, player bounties, vehicle combat, animal mounts... where the heck is all this stuff?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If you want semi-good semi-"smooth" framerates, then you'll want to always play on the lowest possible settings, no AA, no shadows, etc.

Depends on the person I guess.  I know people who play a game with everything on, running @ a choppy fps (guessing from eyeballing ~ 15 fps)  and don't seem to mind it at all.  It'd drive me crazy though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by FromHell

Yesterday I got massive lag and low framerates in a warzone and for the first time I tried setting all graphics to "very low". first of all, wow that looks butt ugly, and second.. it looked actually like 2005 SWG... but... the worlds were below SWG standards.Went to Tattooine and the extremely ugly graphics settings showed how little gameplay mechanics there are under the hood in SWTOR.Try it out.  It looks like SWG but with less features, less freedom and nothing to do but kill X and some voiceover cutscenes.SWTOR desperately needs a ton of interesting mechanics in the future and new things to do.housing, minigames, space simulation, day night cycles, dynamic NPC behaviour,  bigger more open worlds, sandbox features, player bounties, vehicle combat, animal mounts... where the heck is all this stuff? 

Eventually.
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Honestly OP, your computer must suck.

I haven't played this game in a few months, but last time I did I was able to play it on full quality with a very high framerate.

I also think your nostalgia for SWG is clearly affecting your memory of the graphic in that game. The graphics were bad in SWG even for the time.

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I haven't played this game in a few months, but last time I did I was able to play it on full quality with a very high framerate.

I also think your nostalgia for SWG is clearly affecting your memory of the graphic in that game. The graphics were bad in SWG even for the time.

Exactly. I can run max'ed out with no problems at all, and my graphics card, which is an GTX 570 ( Getting long in the tooth there ) , can smoke through anything that this game throws at it. Not sure why you are having issues though.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

It's also affecting his memory of the AI because after the NGE the AI in that game was crap along with the combat. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

you got it all wrong, I usually play it on highest setting (have a dual xeon and GtX 570) but it was a very laggy warzone and I just checked out the game in very low settings, also went to some places and checked how they look&feel on very low and came to the impression, described in my original post

try it for yourself and tell me how the game comes across on very low graphics settings, compared to SWG

The Return of ELITE !

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ktanner3

It's also affecting his memory of the AI because after the NGE the AI in that game was crap along with the combat. 

The AI in swtor was not good either.

In games like Defiance or GW2 mobs are smart enough to dodge things and run for cover.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

The AI in swtor was not good either.

In games like Defiance or GW2 mobs are smart enough to dodge things and run for cover.

ah, beautiful level design and dynamic music cueing in good old SWG... damn, still miss this game.

Too bad the animations sucked back in 2003 and never got an update

The Return of ELITE !

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Yesterday I got massive lag and low framerates in a warzone and for the first time I tried setting all graphics to "very low".

first of all, wow that looks butt ugly, and second.. it looked actually like 2005 SWG... but... the worlds were below SWG standards.

Went to Tattooine and the extremely ugly graphics settings showed how little gameplay mechanics there are under the hood in SWTOR.

Try it out.  It looks like SWG but with less features, less freedom and nothing to do but kill X and some voiceover cutscenes.

SWTOR desperately needs a ton of interesting mechanics in the future and new things to do.

housing, minigames, space simulation, day night cycles, dynamic NPC behaviour,  bigger more open worlds, sandbox features, player bounties, vehicle combat, animal mounts... where the heck is all this stuff?

Yep I wish the game had housing too.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'm at a loss as to how you found the time to try this, seeings as you constantly telling us about how great Fun.com games are...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Omnifish

I'm at a loss as to how you found the time to try this, seeings as you constantly telling us about how great Fun.com games are...

You would be surprised that I played on three of the double XP weekends and actually had some fun with the class stories, but there were many, many WTF moments and asking myself, why, oh why, did they design certain aspects of the game like they did.

And no I don't have WTF moments with TSW or AoC, both are designed to make sense.

Many aspects in SWTOR just seem unfinished/placeholder like, or dumbed down compared to SWG.

Ok it's a F2P title and I didn't pay a dime since August, so I don't want to complain too much about it.

The Return of ELITE !

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Going to disagree with you there Anubisan,

The reason is because, SWG was released back in 2003 and the graphics at the time were ahead of the time. All we had prior to that was Anarchy Online, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot and a bunch of other games like Shadowbane, Asherons Call and even Lineage 2.

MMORPG graphics started taking a change with the release of World of Warcraft a year later as well as Everquest 2. So by saying SWG graphics sucks is just your personal opinion, but at the time SWG was ahead of the graphics curve for players that liked realism over cartoon pastel pixelations in their mmo's.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I play it on all max settings but I adjusted it using NVidia Inspector. What amazed me, that I am getting now over 100 fps in instances or buildings and anything from 40 to 80 on planets. Makeb runs around 50-60 for me.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    the game on minimal settings still looks 1000 times better than swg. Swg ran better though , i scratch my head at how a game as archaic as swg was able to do some much interaction while a game like swtor with unlimited resources and money couldn't even have a day and night cycle.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I play it on all mex settings but I adjusted it using NVidia Inspector. What amazed me, that I am getting now over 100 fps in instances or buildings and anything from 40 to 80 on planets. Makeb runs around 50-60 for me.

I tried this but it was too spicy :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140

you got it all wrong, I usually play it on highest setting (have a dual xeon and GtX 570) but it was a very laggy warzone and I just checked out the game in very low settings, also went to some places and checked how they look&feel on very low and came to the impression, described in my original post

try it for yourself and tell me how the game comes across on very low graphics settings, compared to SWG

first off let me say i do play tor on very low settings and i have also played SWG before and during the NGE crap.  I will tell you right now, TOR is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like SWG on those settings.  but hey thats me though.  And second of all to me also SWG  graphics did not and does not suck.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

While reading topics on first page i think i wandered into strange area of mmorpg.com. lol

Originally posted by BradD77

first off let me say i do play tor on very low settings and i have also played SWG before and during the NGE crap.  I will tell you right now, TOR is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like SWG on those settings.  but hey thats me though.  And second of all to me also SWG  graphics did not and does not suck.

what I meant is, when you put all settings on "very low" and therefore aren't deceived by the relatively modern graphics on high settings, drive around Tattooine and it plays and looks like a further NGE'd (i.e. simplified, WoWified) version of SWG.

SWTOR, the ultimate NGExtreme, that was my impression and the whole point.

The Return of ELITE !

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I play it on all mex settings but I adjusted it using NVidia Inspector. What amazed me, that I am getting now over 100 fps in instances or buildings and anything from 40 to 80 on planets. Makeb runs around 50-60 for me.

I tried this but it was too spicy :)

LMAO... my typing sucks today

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

So true.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Draron

So true.

By the way, that link is to a youtube video that a guy did in the game on it's last day before shutdown. The "combat" consists of him killing ewoks who are suppose to be agro yet for the most part just stand there while the lightsaber is hitting them. PRE-NGE combat looked like actual combat. Characters actually dodged and moved to avoid hits but after the game was sped up it made combat a whole lot worse. Just pure crap and nothing at all like in TOR. In TOR a jedi can actually leap distances, shake the ground, and do other force tricks you never could in NGE. Plus if you compare the two links you can clearly see that the combat is much more fluid and realistic in TOR. The games are nothing alike and that won't change no matter how low you make the graphic settings

Sometimes I wonder if people actually play the games they say they do. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...i would have to agree.....you must be using a Packard Bell 400!   time to upgrade sir!!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by TheJoda

...i would have to agree.....you must be using a Packard Bell 400!   time to upgrade sir!!

You guys didn't read very carefully. 

He turned his settings down because 'yesterday'  he experienced lag in a warzone. That is very different from having a computer that can't run the game as you guys seem to think he was saying.

Surely, you have experienced heavy lag in warzones from time to time?

I'm not agreeing with his assertion - I don't think SWToR looks anything like SWG on those settings; but I think the thrust of his point really was that without the bells and whistles, you can see how limited the combat of swtor really is.

But he never once said anything about his computers inability to run the game. 

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

I just watched Avatar with the resolution turned to lowest possible settings and boy, did it look like crap.

It really drove home how much Avatar was nothing more than Dances With Wolves in space, but hey, I watched for free, so I can't complain.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
      And second of all to me also SWG  graphics did not and does not suck.

I agree. I thought SWG looked pretty good for it's time. Even at the end I never thought it was an ugly game. Thats just my opinion though and I'm not really bothered by graphics if I enjoy the game.