Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

12346»

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Permadeath would be awesome. Yes please. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

I'm a calling you out on your BS...If you put in 80 hours in a permadeath game  and got killed for what ever reason. You will rage quit or make up some excuse it was the internet fault.. Seen people like you over the past 45 years quit with out PERMADEATH.. image

So who the carebear?...image

Mod edit

I retired retroactively..Haha

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    There is no way I would ever pay a dime for a game with permadeath...Even a f2p game I jsut dont think I would want to invest the time with the chance of losing everything on death.....Heck FFA PVP is bad enough where you drop everything (but keep your character).
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by freston
    He meant he liked permadeath for SWG. He will probably correct the twitter later. Im guessing hell make one about Vanguard too.

SWG had the best Permadeath system. The only way to get flagged for permadeath was to become a Jedi and in SWG that was very hard to do. After your Jedi was killed your entire account would be flagged for a ghost Jedi. Next time you created a character you would have a ghost Jedi mentor that helped along. Ghost mentors made players more powerfull than those who never experienced permadeath and releveled. Permadeath was part of the progression in SWG. The final end game acomplishment was not a Jedi but a permadeathed ghost mentor that would become a more powerful Jedi later on when you releveled. It was pure genious. If there was Nobel Prize for video games this would be the winner.

Please, please, Smedly put something like this in EQ Next.

• scottman1979scottman1979 Member Posts: 3
    I just can't wait...been 1 year since alot of us lost our EQ on Ps2 i hope this EQ stay's like the PC versions do and i hope it is familiar more than enough as it was on the Ps2 version...I've played alot of games since EQOAF and not even the PC's version of the game kept me intrested.  Please if anyone see's this I hope Smedley does cause me and my friends and whole lot others are scared of a pay to win version since alot of games have gone that route I stay clear of those now cause im not a millionaire and I've seen the way some people spend on F2P (pretty much pay to win!!!) games and it'll kill me if this happens,  Honestly I'd rather pay a monthy subscription to know the people next to me have skill and not a deep wallet.....PLEASE Smedley I hope you guy's bring me and millions others back into that 1rst feeling of there first and hopefully last MMORPG!!!

Oh on the whole permadeath thing...like I said pay to win games are captured by this almost MAKING people spend and the game controlling us not us controlling the game please make it fair for the people who live check to check.
    END

• scottman1979scottman1979 Member Posts: 3
    Oh and about the premadeath thing.... iI don't mind aslong as if you guys stay away from the pay to win thing like other games charge outrageous price's to revive a character so if that's the case I say no but if you have a great idea on how to protect your character maybe with a spell or whatever =D that'd be great!

• starienstarien Member Posts: 1
    I think permadeath is great idea. Adds to the realism of the game. Games should be challenging not a walk in the park.

• AlignmentAlignment Member Posts: 1

After doing a little research it turns out this is a joke.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/permadeath-in-eq-next.4322/

soe poster claims

• anotherpointofviewanotherpointofview Member Posts: 1

Mission Accomplished, John Smedley wanted a lot of buzz generated by his comment. and here we are,lots of buzz in the comments.

• zonkermanzonkerman Member Posts: 1
    Permadeath is only for players who can afford  to waste their time. These days working people don't have time to waste it on a game that sets them back on something like permadeath. With limited play time they want a game they can progress in and not get frustrated with having that precious time spent thrown out and put them back, forceing them to retrace their steps.  Real life is filled wih a finite amount of time for everyone. We don't get new additions of time so an hour spent is an hour you will never get back so why lose it on something like permadeath.