Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta key suggestion

RockyRocketsRockyRockets Member UncommonPosts: 70
Mmorpg.com shud team up with wildstar and giveaway a few hundred or thousand beta keys.

Comments

• RockyRocketsRockyRockets Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I rly wanna play this game
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Soon.
    It wud also be cool if u cud already pre-order the game and get access 2 beta. I wonder if they are gonna do that. I hope they will
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by RockyRockets

It wud also be cool if u cud already pre-order the game and get access 2 beta. I wonder if they are gonna do that. I hope they will

It'll probably be f2p in which case they might have something like founder packs you can get.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

its not gona be f2p.. seriously. cant  imagine how anyone sees wildstar as f2p, its from ground up aaa game, based on endgame,  and hardcore  raiding , hardcore pvp, and housing,  you can say thats 3 niches, none of them are broke-ass casual kids, none of targeted groups like f2p, and there is no raiding based mmo thats f2p, apart lotro? but that one is basicaly buy 2000 expansions and quest packs to get to raiding, very far from f2p and have sub model anyway, so chances for wildstar to be f2p are pretty much non existant

oh did i forget to mention, content patches every month, story dungeon every month, i imagine raids/5 man dungeons every 2 months , ye tell me f2p game that does that

It wont have monthly costs.
  • DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Smikis

its not gona be f2p.. seriously. cant  imagine how anyone sees wildstar as f2p, its from ground up aaa game, based on endgame,  and hardcore  raiding , hardcore pvp, and housing,  you can say thats 3 niches, none of them are broke-ass casual kids, none of targeted groups like f2p, and there is no raiding based mmo thats f2p, apart lotro? but that one is basicaly buy 2000 expansions and quest packs to get to raiding, very far from f2p and have sub model anyway, so chances for wildstar to be f2p are pretty much non existant

oh did i forget to mention, content patches every month, story dungeon every month, i imagine raids/5 man dungeons every 2 months , ye tell me f2p game that does that

Doesn't just about every MMO developer promise those things though?

What that basically means is that launch will be a bit skimpy and content that is normally put into the orignial game will be trickled out over the year.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

That's like saying Allods Online couldn't have been f2p because of the way it was developed, which is what it was.

Also, are you telling me that only "broke-ass casual kids" play f2p games and that they don't have raiding?  You obviously never played SW:TOR, TERA, or any other f2p game for that matter

Also, f2p games can do that thanks to cash shop purchases.  Face it, subscription based games are going the way of the dinosaurs. Just accept it.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Danwarr

What that basically means is that launch will be a bit skimpy and content that is normally put into the orignial game will be trickled out over the year.

No.  Almost no MMOs promise these things.  Wildstar wants to test endgame now.  They acknlwledge a dev team cannot throw an untested endgame together at the last second and have any quality that will keep vetran players and hardcore guilds.  games like Tor did not test their endgame and were never serious about endgame.  Pretty much the only game that has releasedwith a tested endgame was Rift which is the only game to have had serious raiding since EQ2/WoW's release.  Now can they deliver what they promise in a tested endgame with briad polished content?  Thats a tall order.  But then again Alpha lasted 2 years and the game will have been in development over 7 years by release.  Maybe they can do it.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

If the game goes F2P then lots of players won't consider playing it.

When it comes to competitive gameplay, then nothing skews the picture more then being able to buy victory. And I've yet to see a F2P-title where this isn't the case.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

As said, no, none of the mmo developers have promised content like WildStar.

That's like saying Allods Online couldn't have been f2p because of the way it was developed, which is what it was.

Also, are you telling me that only "broke-ass casual kids" play f2p games and that they don't have raiding?  You obviously never played SW:TOR, TERA, or any other f2p game for that matter

Also, f2p games can do that thanks to cash shop purchases.  Face it, subscription based games are going the way of the dinosaurs. Just accept it.

I have played all of them and none of them had "real" raid content on par with WoW/Rift. All those games you mentioned had casual raid content, and TERA didn't have any raid content whatsoever for 2 years.

Gw2 isnt pay2win and its f2p after u buy it. The playerbase is way bigger than many montly sub games so ppl who say f2p probably never even played mmos

GW2 is a casual leveling game. And I lol'd at the playerbase. I'm sorry but you sound to me like a very casual player player and arguing with people who have probably 50000+ hours in mmorpgs total in lifetime. And what I mean with that is that you are a novice in the field arguing with experts.

Gw2 isnt pay2win and its f2p after u buy it. The playerbase is way bigger than many montly sub games so ppl who say f2p probably never even played mmos
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Vembumees

I have played all of them and none of them had "real" raid content on par with WoW/Rift. All those games you mentioned had casual raid content, and TERA didn't have any raid content whatsoever for 2 years.

GW2 is a casual leveling game. And I lol'd at the playerbase. I'm sorry but you sound to me like a very casual player player and arguing with people who have probably 50000+ hours in mmorpgs total in lifetime. And what I mean with that is that you are a novice in the field arguing with experts.

Great post Vembumees and all very true.

Gw2 is mainly pvp based. Almost every mmo has lvling content besides gw has more players than most monthly paid mmos like i said. 50000h of hours of reading about mmos i guess not playing them.
  • DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Zapzap

No.  Almost no MMOs promise these things.  Wildstar wants to test endgame now.  They acknlwledge a dev team cannot throw an untested endgame together at the last second and have any quality that will keep vetran players and hardcore guilds.  games like Tor did not test their endgame and were never serious about endgame.  Pretty much the only game that has releasedwith a tested endgame was Rift which is the only game to have had serious raiding since EQ2/WoW's release.  Now can they deliver what they promise in a tested endgame with briad polished content?  Thats a tall order.  But then again Alpha lasted 2 years and the game will have been in development over 7 years by release.  Maybe they can do it.

I have no doubt that they will thorouly test end-game considering how much they want to cater to hardcore raiders and PvPers.

What I'm saying is launch is going to have a very limited experience compared to what the game will look like 6, even 3 months, from launch based on what they are promising.

I don't think they can't actually develop content patches every month, story dungeons every month, and raids/5 man dungeons every 2 months. I think all of those things would be in development now to be relased post-launch.

That's what Turbine did with LotRO. They promised monthy updates and delivered on that, for about 2 or 3 months because they already had those things mostly done when the game launched.

I'm still very excited about this game however, and if Carbine can deliver what they promise more power to them and I will certainly be glad to give them my money.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

There is a lot of ego stroking and rhetoric in this thread.

It will release how it is intended on being released based on their research and infinitely more knowledgeable sources.

Assumptions of others and claiming to be "experts" in the fields does not help one's debate with regards to payment models, especially not when the thread wasn't even originally created to host such topics.

One's own preference also doesn't help the matter, as everyone is different, and a preference rarely has objectively behind it; it's moreso a bias source of information.

To answer a few statements made in this thread:

• AAA games do not have to be P2P
    • For every person not willing to try a AAA F2P game, there are many more who would (it's free, right?).
    • Just because a game is considered to be AAA doesn't mean it won't have problems.
    • No payment model is perfect; P2P and F2P are both extremes, with B2P meeting pros and cons of each with middle ground.  Though every payment type has things to consider as they build their game and make plans on supporting it and making more money off of it.
    • Please stop trying to start flame wars of personal preference; it's the health of the game that one should consider and sometimes one payment model just won't work.  This is especially true if there is any resemblance whatsoever to whatever game is king of that genre.  To have a similar payment model as that would be to doom their product as we've seen over and over again in the past.

To answer the OP of this thread:

I'm sure once beta is in a good place we will start seeing some additional ways to get into it.  Though I'm a bit skeptical of the whole beta thing as people tend to judge games based on limited systems or get their taste of it then and not bother with the actual product.  I guess it helps keep away trolls who only troll for a week or two before moving onto the next game, so they don't infest launch as much.  But there are much less parties interested in actually testing a game than there are groups of people just wanting to experience it early and judge what is available to them.

Let's all take a deep breath and reread what we have posted.  There has been a lot of less than amicable discussion here.  

:(
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

It is so funny and sad at the same time  to read "I'm better than You cuz im hardcore gamer and You are casual" bullcrap :).

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

You forgot to mention how your Dad is bigger than his Dad......

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Except for developers of games like Guild Wars 2, Rift, The Secret World, etc.

If it's got raid content, then i'ts got raid content.  "Real" raid content is subjective, and everyone has their own opinions.  Raids are raids, and nothing makes them more or less "real".

Wow, 50000+ hours?  Thats almost 6 years straight of gaming.  I'm impressed that you actually spend so little time in the real world.

Anyway, back to the point, GW2 is a great game.  Admittedly it is not for everyone, but to, I suppose "insult" would be the proper word, GW2 the way you did kinda defeats your argument, as an expert in arguing about MMOs would realize that everyone has their own tastes, and that calling a game bad just because you hate it is just unbecomming of an "expert".

My point is, you are no expert.  You aren't even a novice.  You are just whining, bawling at the top of your lungs, "Wildstar can't be free to play because any game without a subscription fee is crap, even the ones that everyone says are awesome, and Wildstar is the second coming of Jesus so there."  I'm sorry if that was offensive, but I'm just getting tired of people parroting this same tired rhetoric.

Seriously, it's this kind of elitist "pay-to-play games are always superior to buy-to-play and free-to-play games because you have to pay for them" bull that is steadily turning people off of subscription based models.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?