Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How much of the “little things”?

WellzyCWellzyC Stillwater, MNPosts: 557Member Uncommon

One of my biggest gripes with mmos lately is the how devs overlook the little things about a game making it feel less like a virtual world and more of a shallow, artificial experience.

Some examples of recent games is SWTORs not being able to sit in chairs, GW2’s not being able to hand anything to anyone, WoW’s not being able to set things on the ground, Things like that.

Today’s mmos have really scewed off and are focusing on being the next e-sport, achievement grinding, cutscene, fast paced "action movie" type of game style. MMos used to be about immersion and living a virtual life through your character in a game world, and I think devs are just really missing the point of what the MMO title really means.

MMos need to slow it down, and not focus so much on just burning through scripted content to max level in a stale environment, and remembering that players want to stop and smell the roses. Enjoy a world to explore with mystery, to be able to create their own goals without following a linear path through a story.

----

Ranting aside, one of the things I really appreciated about the elder scrolls games was the attention to detail when it came to interacting with your environment. Being able to take stuff off a table, organizing books on a shelf, moving dead bodies around.

But not just your environment, I enjoyed being able to pick locks, and I’m not taking about boring lock picking (ie just clicking on a locked chest and unlocking it based on your lock pick skill vs the lvl of the lock) but actually having to pick the lock yourself and turning it. Fun fun!

MMOs of late focus entirely on scripted story lines and not so much on the meat and potatoes of a game that really make it feel like a role playing game.

So my question is:

Based off of pax preview information, and current gameplay information, will ESO follow suit with other elder scrolls games and have the “little things” like lock picking, moving objects, retrieving arrows, leaving a horse, opening doors and drawers? Or will it be more of the same; lifeless, shallow, going from quest to quest, overly scripted game like recent titles?

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 555Member
    They have already clearly said that movable items will not be in. The sheer number of problems they cause is huge. We also have infinite arrows, so why would you need to retrieve them?  As for lockpicking I am split on. There are a number of players that just cannot stand it.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Stillwater, MNPosts: 557Member Uncommon
    The lock picking in Skyrim was gold, don't know why anyone would dislike that

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• sapphensapphen Madison, NCPosts: 911Member Common

IMO the mmo genre needs to progress.  They keep trying to copy other MMOs and streamline the features, which usually means the little things get passed over.  In my opinion, ESO is more of the same.  We'll be lucky if we're able to sit down or /wave at other players.  These features are not taken seriously by developers and I think many players overlook the importance of the little things.

I would love to see a MMO put the RPG back in MMORPG.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I agree whole heartedly with you OP.

• EladiEladi ArnhemPosts: 1,100Member Uncommon

I have asked this question on every MMO in development forum there is, unfortunate its only a small group of player that know the real power of these small things. (tho sitting aint realy a small thing to design its harder then it looks/sounds in a mmo) 

but if TESO wont have the ability to sit in every damn chair i see I will instandly quit ..or better I try to find out before so I dont waiste any money

I probably put 200 hours into Skyrim before I did one single quest line.

If an mmo could match that kind of immersion it would be the greatest game on the market.

www.CeaselessGuild.com

That sort of gameplay is far more exciting and memorable too..

I cant tell you the plot of any quest I did in SWTOR or the TSW..  But I remember with great detail in daoc how someone placed swords down on the ground in the center of Drum Ligen in the shape of a Giant penis.   My sides where in pain from laughing.

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• JasonJJasonJ New Port Richey, FLPosts: 395Member
    Originally posted by WellzyC

So my question is:

Based off of pax preview information, and current gameplay information, will ESO follow suit with other elder scrolls games and have the “little things” like lock picking, moving objects, retrieving arrows, leaving a horse, opening doors and drawers? Or will it be more of the same; lifeless, shallow, going from quest to quest, overly scripted game like recent titles?

No. Outside of the graphics, names of places and NPCs this game will have very little that was TES.

The one un-arguable aspect of this game is simple.

If you removed the graphics and names of places and people, would this game make you say "hey, this is a TES clone!" or would it make you say "Is this DaoC 2?". It is the later.

Its a shame too, because so many other TES aspects have been in MMOs before so we know it can be done.

Originally posted by JasonJ

Its a shame too, because so many other TES aspects have been in MMOs before so we know it can be done.

It is a horrible shame.  TES games have been redefining the RPG genre for years, including many MMOs.  When TES finally gets a MMO, the developers try to copy another game.

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,836Member Uncommon

Originally posted by WellzyC So my question is: Based off of pax preview information, and current gameplay information, will ESO follow suit with other elder scrolls games and have the “little things” like lock picking, moving objects, retrieving arrows, leaving a horse, opening doors and drawers? Or will it be more of the same; lifeless, shallow, going from quest to quest, overly scripted game like recent titles?
    No. Outside of the graphics, names of places and NPCs this game will have very little that was TES.

If you removed the graphics and names of places and people, would this game make you say "hey, this is a TES clone!" or would it make you say "Is this DaoC 2?". It is the later.

are you talking about the pvp aspect only? because the pve of this game and combat is nothing like Daoc so i am not sure what you are trying to imply.

if you honestly believe that this entire game is more like Daoc than TES, i think you have been vastly misinformed or you never played Daoc lol

yes this game will have factions like daoc, yes it will have RvR style pvp like daoc.

beyond that, can you tell me what it will have in common with Daoc? because it sure as hell isn't the combat or anything else regarding pve that i can tell.

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,836Member Uncommon

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by JasonJ Its a shame too, because so many other TES aspects have been in MMOs before so we know it can be done.
    It is a horrible shame.  TES games have been redefining the RPG genre for years, including many MMOs.  When TES finally gets a MMO, the developers try to copy another game.

yes, let them make a mmo exactly like the single player games with no end game features at all, is that what you want?

the aspects of daoc they are adopting adds another dynamic to the game, it doesn't take away from it except for faction lock.

the rest of the game, you could argue they took from GW2 and TES series.

people that say this game is just a Daoc rip off (talking about the whole game not just the pvp) are clearly misinformed and are spreading nonsense.

Originally posted by baphamet

are you talking about the pvp aspect only? because the pve of this game and combat is nothing like Daoc so i am not sure what you are trying to imply.

if you honestly believe that this entire game is more like Daoc than TES, i think you have been vastly misinformed or you never played Daoc lol

yes this game will have factions like daoc, yes it will have RvR style pvp like daoc.

beyond that, can you tell me what it will have in common with Daoc? because it sure as hell isn't the combat or anything else regarding pve that i can tell.

I have noticed a sad trend on this site, whenever someone is talking out their backside they always follow it with "lol".

So you think TESO combat is like TES? Really? I dont recall having to equip a healing staff to auqment healing, or a fire staff  or a lightning staff...

Thats right, you can raise all of them like in TES...but you are limited to 5 skills/spells and your spell types are limited to what you have equiped. So, they are still forcing a trinity situation while at the same time allowing you to pick which you want at a given time. That is not TES. Its a false attempt at being a little different than other MMOs. There was zero point in creating an open system and then tacking on that kind of limitation. Not only that, but they announced anything about there being NO LIMIT to the amount of points you can earn in skills, Like, do you stop earing experience in your skills when you hit 50? Is there a skill cap to how many points you can raise your skills per level? Un-answered questions.

Also, PvE CANNOT be like it is in TES because every mob will have SET levels. In TES, mobs level WITH YOU so all content remains 100% viable which is not the case in TESO where zones will have levels and once you outlevel them you are funneled ever closer to the moronic PvP setup set in a central area.

One has to squint to find the TES in TESO beyond the graphics and names.

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon

There is lock picking.

I'm embarrassed to say that I did try to sit in a chair and can't for the life of me remember if it "happened" or not.

I know I tried and nothing happened. But a part of me seems to think that it might have worked on other chairs? It's really cloudy.

There are items around that you can read but you weren't able to pick them up.

You an steal items and there is some sort of penalty for being caught.

We were warned that we could take items but that the system wasn't in place yet.

yes, let them make a mmo exactly like the single player games with no end game features at all, is that what you want?

the aspects of daoc they are adopting adds another dynamic to the game, it doesn't take away from it except for faction lock.

people that say this game is just a Daoc rip off (talking about the whole game not just the pvp) are clearly misinformed and are spreading nonsense.

No, we want a TES MMO like TES and there are plenty of open world MMOs that show it can be done.

The aspects of DaoC they are adopting does not ADD dynamics, it takes them away. You can have faction based war without the close faction lands and sure as hell can have a world at war, by having that war all over the world instead of some closed off place that keeps your homelands safe.

The design detracts, it does add.

Good MMOs = world is at war and any place can be attacked, creating faction pride by defending your homeland, what is YOURS, its us vs them because they are trying to take what is ours.

Bad MMO= world is at war, but only in a place behind a magical wall keeping what is yours, safe, and has you fighting over something that really doesnt matter but developers try to create your pride for you anyway, mostly by using a form of race based us vs them.

It has already been proven it can be done the TES way, open world, mixed races allowing for far more game play and far less limitations.

Originally posted by JasonJ Its a shame too, because so many other TES aspects have been in MMOs before so we know it can be done.

Last time I checked, Oblivion (rank 207) has more players than DAoC (rank 431).  Skyrim is currently ranked 32 on xfire, it has more retention than many other MMOs.  In TES, the game ends when you stop playing it - I could care less for "end game content".  I wanted the little things that defined the TES franchise.

Why would TES players want a RvR dynamic to their game in the first place?  Don't get me wrong, I would've liked some kind of PvP system but not at the cost of core elements (like faction/area locks).

Why are they taking ANYTHING from other games?

TES games have more depth and dynamics than most MMOs out right now.  The whole MMO genre is suffering because of ESO's nonsense.

Yet another topic ruined by the zomg faction lock Daoc is shit.

For so many of those "features" that used to be around just stop and think why they no longer exist. Here is a hint, it is not because of playing copycat. We cannot have nice things because players are douchebags. They have demanded to get rid of things, like mob camping, so we get instances. Players doing things like lagging the server in UO (amongst other games) is why we can no longer toss stuff on the ground. Stop and think and hell, use google, learn something.
  • rygard49rygard49 Huntington Beach, CAPosts: 975Member

I have noticed a sad trend on this site, whenever someone is talking out their backside they always follow it with "lol".

So you think TESO combat is like TES? Really? I dont recall having to equip a healing staff to auqment healing, or a fire staff  or a lightning staff...

Thats right, you can raise all of them like in TES...but you are limited to 5 skills/spells and your spell types are limited to what you have equiped. So, they are still forcing a trinity situation while at the same time allowing you to pick which you want at a given time. That is not TES. Its a false attempt at being a little different than other MMOs. There was zero point in creating an open system and then tacking on that kind of limitation. Not only that, but they announced anything about there being NO LIMIT to the amount of points you can earn in skills, Like, do you stop earing experience in your skills when you hit 50? Is there a skill cap to how many points you can raise your skills per level? Un-answered questions.

Also, PvE CANNOT be like it is in TES because every mob will have SET levels. In TES, mobs level WITH YOU so all content remains 100% viable which is not the case in TESO where zones will have levels and once you outlevel them you are funneled ever closer to the moronic PvP setup set in a central area.

One has to squint to find the TES in TESO beyond the graphics and names.

So the amount of research you've done on this game is zero, am I right? You saw they were making an Elder Scrolls MMO, went to the forums and immediately started crying foul?

Red Tex - They've stated when you hit 50, you're far from done as you still have all of your skills to raise. Here's an excerpt from an article from MMORPG, the website you're on right now:

"This article may make progression sound intimidating, it is not. If anything it is easy to handle and really does give a lot of options to the player. You can respec certain parts of your character as well just in case you don’t like how it is going. The team also explained that there will be enough skill-points so that you can learn everything, it may just take time.  By the time you hit the level cap of 50, you’ll still have a long way to go before maxing out everything available to you." - Link

The only skills you'll be locked from are the other class/race skills, and if you're a Werewolf or Vampire.

Blue Text - I have noticed a sad trend on this site, whenever someone is talking out their backside they always follow it with over exaggeration.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,447Member Uncommon

I respect you Sapphen but on this you dead wrong. MMOs are so huge and have so many part that making them can have so many random outcomes no one can see till the doors are open and people are playing. So many MMOs over the years have been trying to create something new and thats a large part of why we have so many failed MMOs. If you are going to make a sandbox PvP game then look at what made SWG so good and take that core model. You want a themepark game then look what whats worked and copy that core model. Add all the modern stuff like Vo acting but make sure the core game is something that worked. Then add your new touch to it.

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

Originally posted by rygard49

"This article may make progression sound intimidating, it is not. If anything it is easy to handle and really does give a lot of options to the player. You can respec certain parts of your character as well just in case you don’t like how it is going. The team also explained that there will be enough skill-points so that you can learn everything, it may just take time.  By the time you hit the level cap of 50, you’ll still have a long way to go before maxing out everything available to you." - Link

The only skills you'll be locked from are the other class/race skills, and if you're a Werewolf or Vampire.

Blue Text - I have noticed a sad trend on this site, whenever someone is talking out their backside they always follow it with over exaggeration.

You dont know about game development do you? Its called doublespeak to hide what they dont want you to know.

In MMOs where you can train everything in an unlimited way...you dont need to respec. Respec = either capped or progression slows to a crawl the higher you get meaning you can gimp your character if you dont place points the right way.

Level 30, have points spread over more than a few skills and suddenly you cant kill anything, you need to respec. That is NOT TES like. That means you must pour points into specific skills or end up not being able to do anything, which will lock people into trinity roles. You can come back here and say that is not true but if it IS and that is why you can respec, because you will find a need to place those points someplace else otherwise there would be NO POINT TO RESPECCING because you can just keep raising the skill you wanted!

PS. crafting IS locked, they stated you can either train them all up and be a generalist or master two of them to create the best items in those two skills. Again...not TES.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I respect you Sapphen but on this you dead wrong. MMOs are so huge and have so many part that making them can have so many random outcomes no one can see till the doors are open and people are playing. So many MMOs over the years have been trying to create something new and thats a large part of why we have so many failed MMOs.

This is basically what you just did.

1. You stated you cant know the outcome of an MMO until its released.

2. You then state MMOs fail for trying something new.

A downright mindboggling argument that if applied to either DaoC, which did some new things, or even TESO, you defeat every single argument you ever gave in defending either...unless of course you use double standards which again points to that whole you no longer have any credibility issue that seems to follow you around.

You dont know about game development do you? Its called doublespeak to hide what they dont want you to know.

In MMOs where you can train everything in an unlimited way...you dont need to respec. Respec = either capped or progression slows to a crawl the higher you get meaning you can gimp your character if you dont place points the right way.

Level 30, have points spread over more than a few skills and suddenly you cant kill anything, you need to respec. That is NOT TES like. That means you must pour points into specific skills or end up not being able to do anything, which will lock people into trinity roles. You can come back here and say that is not true but if it IS and that is why you can respec, because you will find a need to place those points someplace else otherwise there would be NO POINT TO RESPECCING because you can just keep raising the skill you wanted!

PS. crafting IS locked, they stated you can either train them all up and be a generalist or master two of them to create the best items in those two skills. Again...not TES.

The part that gets respecced is where you have chosen to put your hp/magica/stamina, cause what you should be focused on changes based on what role you are choosing to fill and what abilities you are focusing on. Your actual weapon skills are the same 0-100 with more abilities unlocking based on how much skill you have in that weapon, very similar to Skyrim.

As for crafting, that is a requirement to facilitate players actually taking part in the community. This is not a srpg for gods sake.

• rygard49rygard49 Huntington Beach, CAPosts: 975Member
    Originally posted by rygard49

That's exactly how TES is. If I go around and get 30 of 100 in every skill, I'll be level 10-15 and everything is going to trounce me in combat because I gimped myself. This game provides a way to fix certain spec mistakes. This isn't ambiguous doublespeak, this is you reading a statement and coming to a paranoid conclusion.

I stand corrected on crafting.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I respect you Sapphen but on this you dead wrong. MMOs are so huge and have so many part that making them can have so many random outcomes no one can see till the doors are open and people are playing. So many MMOs over the years have been trying to create something new and thats a large part of why we have so many failed MMOs. If you are going to make a sandbox PvP game then look at what made SWG so good and take that core model. You want a themepark game then look what whats worked and copy that core model. Add all the modern stuff like Vo acting but make sure the core game is something that worked. Then add your new touch to it.

I respect you too noodle and we don't have to agree.  Personally I think the MMOs that have tried something new and failed, did so for other reasons than just trying something new.  I feel like the "core models" is what is wrong with the MMO genre.  I believe that we should look at what worked but I think many developers are overlooking at why it worked.  We can't forget all the MMOs that have used a proven core model and failed.

There is true innovation and it's coming out, almost unseen by the masses.  Give it a few more years and you'll understand what I mean when I say there is a difference between being inspired by another game and trying to recreate it.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

Some people are not good at that activity. It happens. I sucked at Oblivion's "tumbler" nonsense. I hated it. I ended up using the "auto" feature. Skyrim's I could handle no trouble. I never even had to use a lockipcking perk at all. I did go through that tree once and when I got to the perk that "started me nearer the sweet spot", it actually messed up my ability to pick the locks :)

The problem is that *I* am performing the task, not my character. The line gets crossed for me. It does help a little that the better my character is at lockpicking, the more forgiving it is.

As for "the little things", it is hard to go from single player to massively multi-player.

The way graphics are now, many of the little things just bog the system down. Skyrim has nice graphics and is a beautiful world. Lost, though, is the wearing of shirts, pants or skirts under armor and robes over armor. It just cannot be drawn in an efficient way. If you leave loot out in the open, ie: drop it when you get overburdened, your save files get massively huge quickly and bogs down the whole game as it has to draw every item dropped on the ground for that cell.

"The Details" becomes a choice between graphical details or gameplay details. Do you want millions of armor combinations that need to be drawn separately and bog down your processor, or do you want a few re-drawable armors that allow for more NPCs or PCs on the same screen?

Personally, I'd rather have lesser graphics and better gameplay. That doesn't go over well with people with massive computing capabilities. They paid for their computers and want to use them. Totally understandable. It will be a great day when all aspects can come together in a good online experience.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon

I played Morrowind for 2 years without an "end game".

I played Oblivion from launch until Skyrim was launched.

I've been playign skyrim since it was launched.

All with no "end game".

From my discussions with several TES playesr, both in the long lines i waited in and the TESO after party, many did the same thing.

I was told that some played Daggerfall for an incredible amount of time as a lot of it was "generated" and some thought that the game was "the game that didn't end".

I think that is why some TES fans are "miffed" as the single player games could very well have more longevity than the supposed "long lived mmo".