Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You guys think DISNEY will do a new SW trilogy based MMORPG?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

With the new trilogy in the works to usher in what I can only assume will be a new generation of fans (and possibly restore some old ones), I can't help but wonder if Disney will eventually want to cash in with a new MMORPG based on said trilogy which will likely feature a lot of the more recognizable Star Wars elements from the OT/Sequel Trilogy.

What do you guys think... maybe we'll see another shot at a great Star Wars MMORPG in like... the next 10 years?

If you were the shot caller, would you do it?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I don't think Disney will make any mmos.  I'm not going to discount them selling a liscense to someone else to make one though

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Did you miss the announcement that they scrap lucas arts games and wont make any star wars computer games anymore? They will keep selling the license if anybody else wants it, but disney themselves, nope.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Disney doesnt really have any interest in developing anything using the Starwars IP, it is however, open to offers from developers who wish to purchase the rights to do so..  think Disney made their position very plain on Starwars really.image
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Joekra
    Did you miss the announcement that they scrap lucas arts games and wont make any star wars computer games anymore? They will keep selling the license if anybody else wants it, but disney themselves, nope.

I know they shuttered LucasArts but of course they're going to license out projects and cash in on Star Wars games. No computer games? That'd be a mistake... computers have made a pretty heavy comeback and are still on the climb again as a gaming platform.

If some of the rumors are true about the next consoles, it could push computer gaming even further ahead.

By by 'Disney making an MMO' I certainly didn't mean they themselves would. But they own the IP so, still their call... and I'm really wondering if they'd make that call.

Sadly, I feel like they don't have much of a gaming strategy at the moment which is too bad...

All they've really said is:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internet development to a licensing model, minimising the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games."

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by DeaconX

With the new trilogy in the works to usher in what I can only assume will be a new generation of fans (and possibly restore some old ones), I can't help but wonder if Disney will eventually want to cash in with a new MMORPG based on said trilogy which will likely feature a lot of the more recognizable Star Wars elements from the OT/Sequel Trilogy.

What do you guys think... maybe we'll see another shot at a great Star Wars MMORPG in like... the next 10 years?

If the next movie  in 2015 is successful  there might be another shot taken. The high expectations and disappointments of the last two will make Disney cautious . If minimizing risk is what Disney is after, then I'd say an MMO is a long shot. 

Hell no. I wouldn't touch this genre with a 40 foot pole. Not until the technology gets to the point that you can create a massive world with all the right features on a good engine with great animations and great graphics. The MMO playerbase is so jaded and so prickly that anything short of that will be seen as a disappointment. It's just not worth the investment.  

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    If they do it, it will be another cheap cash grab game based on movie type of deal.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A simplistic answer would be if an MMO is inline with their goals then they'll write one.

It would have to appeal to their audience, which is mostly children and tweens. It would have to be something that would have a good chance to be profitable. It would have to be written before the last movie was released. Disney would have to have a development house in place capable of creating an MMO. Finally, Disney would want to have something they have to manage for years, possibly long after they are done with the movies. They would have to be willing to stick with it, even if it's a mediocre success.

It sounds a lot like having a theme park, which they have. I suspect that if Disney was going to do an MMO, it would be a lot like their theme parks. Designed to maximize fun, maximize spending and to keep people engaged long term. It might be a great MMO, but I don't think it would be like either of the SW MMOs that have already been written.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    NO
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

DISNEY:

GIVE A LICENCE TO SONY TO MAKE SWG 2,  goddamit.

They have the forgelight engine, they have the skill, the experience...DO IT TODAY

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Obsidian Entertainment expressed interest in a Star Wars game for Disney.  Whether SP or MMO, it's the only new Star Wars game I recall hearing about (besides the SP games we already knew about in the .. uhh < now clogged > pipeline). (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/08/obsidian-has-a-new-star-wars-game-pitch-for-disney/)

Star Wars carries a curse when it comes to MMORPG's.  Someone mentioned in another thread a less risky cheaper Lega Star Wars MMORPG.  That sounds more reasonable for the future.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

If past is prologue, it's very likely we'll see another Star Wars MMO at least in development within 10 years from now.  There's virtually no reason not to license out the IP for one, if you're Disney, since there's a new trilogy coming and with it a new generation of potential fans.

Would I make a Star Wars MMO?  Sure, why not?  If I were going to make my first MMO, I'd love to start with one that already has an established fanbase, enough lore to fill a vault, and a general setting that is primed for translation into a gaming medium.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by FromHell

DISNEY:

GIVE A LICENCE TO SONY TO MAKE SWG 2,  goddamit.

Please no. I wouldn't touch an SOE game if you paid me. They already had their chance. Give it to someone else. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SOE will not do a SWG 2, as after SWG closed they said they are mainly steering clear of IP licenced MMOs, because LA were complete tyrants as messed SOE about

If SOE still has the code for SWG, and Disney let SOE be more free to do what they want with the game, then SWG as at 15th Dec 2011 could get resurrected, and it be given an expansion for episodes 7-9

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If SOE had more freedom to do what they wanted, then SWTOR would take some more hits to revenue .. which in turn would mean Disney would also get less kickbacks from the Star Wars IP.  If the analysts were correct about (then) LA taking 30% of the profits.

May as well hope EQNext has some sci-fi elements to roleplay in ... /dream

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

I'm sure they will eventually, probably not until at least near the release of the first movie, I'd expect some time after that though.  I highly doubt SoE would touch it, they've been burned by IP licenses pretty bad lately.  And I can't imagine EA wanting to do another one either.  Maybe some Activision studio besides Blizzard, or possibly 2K/Atari.  Disney's unlikely to make licensing cheap enough for a smaller startup to have any shot at it.

Not really sure why people are implying that another SW MMO won't be made just because Disney only wants to license the IP....that's what was done for the 2 (3 if you count that Clone Wars one) SW MMOs that have been made...

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I definitely don't know what Disney will do with the IP over the long haul. What you can count on though, is they will find every possible way to milk it for as much revenue as they can.

I would truly love if Obsidian could somehow manage to get a chance at it. But even if they don't, I hope they at least get that shot at making a new Star Wars RPG for us.

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62

I think it's going to be ten years or more before we see another studio take a swing at a Star Wars MMORPG. Even though the first two were really screwed up by bean counters and suits more than game developers, the bean counters and suits won't see it that way.

They'll see a license that has severely disappointed on two separate attempts, even with huge development budgets. And the thinking will stop there.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

No MMO, but yes there will be console "movie" games, to fit with the new movies.

To that I say BOOOOOOOOOO, I am not at all excited to see what Disney does with the IP.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    No. I dont think Disney will create an MMORPG and if they do it will be a another pure ThemePark affair.
    Originally posted by CatAtomic99

I think it's going to be ten years or more before we see another studio take a swing at a Star Wars MMORPG. Even though the first two were really screwed up by bean counters and suits more than game developers, the bean counters and suits won't see it that way.

They'll see a license that has severely disappointed on two separate attempts, even with huge development budgets. And the thinking will stop there.

EA didn't actually mess with BioWare during the development of SWTOR - and I can't blame them for doing whatever they can now to recover some of the money they dumped into the BioWare Austin team.

Truth is, BioWare Austin messed up SWTOR in the core design of the game - of course, that's just a matter of opinion and many people love the game as is -- however it does seem to be a fairly popular opinion that this was simply NOT the Star Wars MMORPG that fans wanted.

The combat was outdated - they wanted to play it safe. That turned out to be less than safe.

The story driven content was pretty phenomenal and way above most MMO's for sure - this is one thing they definitely got right.

Aside from that, the game kind of fell flat in pretty much every area of design - it's just not a hit with people.

I truly beleive that for a Star Wars MMORPG to work and be very successful, you need the sense of adventure that SWTOR can provide, with the freedom for players to really 'live' in this beloved galaxy that the ambitious sandbox that was gutted, SWG, once was working hard to provide.  Only a hybrid of these two makes logical sense to me when it comes to a Star Wars MMORPG.

UNFORTUNATELY for us all, while I've worked for Disney and loved working there, I know they're 100% focused on the movies and don't really care much about Star Wars gaming at all.  I really wish they had someone over there to take charge and create some wonderful Star Wars games because... there is just a ridiculous amount of money to be made, if only they were making the right games, the right ways.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    I really hope so
  • pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    Honestly idk but i really hope they don't because i have never like star wars and i don't think ill ever do .. no disrespect for the people that do enjoy star wars but my opinion is that it sucks
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    People always assume disney only makes things for kids but they have made stuff that would appeal to adults too like Tron and Gargoyles series.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by DeaconX

If the next movie  in 2015 is successful  there might be another shot taken. The high expectations and disappointments of the last two will make Disney cautious . If minimizing risk is what Disney is after, then I'd say an MMO is a long shot. 

Hell no. I wouldn't touch this genre with a 40 foot pole. Not until the technology gets to the point that you can create a massive world with all the right features on a good engine with great animations and great graphics. The MMO playerbase is so jaded and so prickly that anything short of that will be seen as a disappointment. It's just not worth the investment.  

I agree with you.  The current player base needs an attitude change.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"