Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: What It Is...and Isn't

124»

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Never before have I so much regretted having bought a MMO. Sure I tried out worse MMOs, and it's not the 60 Euro. It's the D&D setting game I would want to play and enjoy.

Now you can argue whatever you like, but for me the bottom line is: I feel exhausted playing Neverwinter. The combat feels just... strenuous to me. Yes I know I can reset the controls, but... I just felt the combat was bad. I always ended up in hectic button mashing. The potion system is something I totally HATE. It's so yesterday's news. With every single mob group in Neverwinter I fought like standing on my toes, every single group was like hard work to defeat and too often at the very last brink of health. Sure, some classes were easier, some like Guardian or Wizard outright unplayable to me.

Sorry, this combat system just aggravates and pisses me off. And yes just me, if you love it, good for you.

Still, I simply don't see this being any success as it is. I am really surprised Crpytic and PW make such a casual unfriendly game as this. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheKrautTheKraut Member Posts: 48

"Are there instances? Are there a LOT of instances? You better believe it."

And......no thanks.

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103

What I hope for: A big open world that features lots of Faerun and famous locations

What I expected from this game: a very confined world with lots of instances

What this game is for me: an action RP a la Diablo using some elements from DnD and the lore of Forgotten Realms

And I am fine with that, because I know that right now the chances of seeing someone developing a game that can truly embrace the richness of the world that is Faerun, are pretty slim to non-existant. But who knows, maybe in a few years.

I will play this game just for the fun action combat and because I like Diablo style games. Also, it's free, which is the main reason I will give it a try :)

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by tmr819
    MMO or not, it may be now, but I still wish they had stayed on their original course of making Neverwinter a co-op online RPG. This game had a lot more appeal to me then than it does now.

I think it all comes down to whether you define Neverwinter as multi player coop game or an actual mmo. I think if the game is basically very instanced and you never group or need to group up beyond 5 players then you are really talking multi player. MMO implies the need for a large number of players to group in the game to play it at some time or another. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Scot
    If anything says wait until the game is released and see what the reviews say, then this thread does.

how does that make any sense for a f2p game.. why not just try it yourself then let someone elses opinion tell you if its good or not

I don't have the time to try out every MMO that comes out. And if you play beta the game will be jaded for you by the time you get to launch. So waiting until after launch always makes sense.

• MrfoxknoxMrfoxknox Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I wish I could try it out this weekend. Seems that noone have a friend key over...
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I am just going to start completely writing off any gaming company that even uses the word Neverwinter to describe one of it's projects...it seems to have become a cheap ploy full of vaugities until the last minute, in an attempt to rekindle some long-ago-but-not-forgetten fading flame in the MMO community, when ever a game developer is afraid their efforts will tank otherwise. It's just sad, petty, buzzword, glory by association bs, imo.

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

I was hyper-hype until I went to register and Perfect World, the shit-publishers that they are do not support China (Which to a level I can understand if they want to release here later) but they also do not support proxies which means, this American abroad that was about to fork out the big 200$ wouldn't even be able to log. FUCK!

Game looks ok, fun and I really was looking forward to playing with the Foundry and with MY FRIENDS!!!! Damn.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Elikal

Never before have I so much regretted having bought a MMO. Sure I tried out worse MMOs, and it's not the 60 Euro. It's the D&D setting game I would want to play and enjoy.

Now you can argue whatever you like, but for me the bottom line is: I feel exhausted playing Neverwinter. The combat feels just... strenuous to me. Yes I know I can reset the controls, but... I just felt the combat was bad. I always ended up in hectic button mashing. The potion system is something I totally HATE. It's so yesterday's news. With every single mob group in Neverwinter I fought like standing on my toes, every single group was like hard work to defeat and too often at the very last brink of health. Sure, some classes were easier, some like Guardian or Wizard outright unplayable to me.

Sorry, this combat system just aggravates and pisses me off. And yes just me, if you love it, good for you.

Still, I simply don't see this being any success as it is. I am really surprised Crpytic and PW make such a casual unfriendly game as this. *shrug*

what class are you playing, not sure if you were in a much higher level place etc?  When I played the fights were tough but to say you had to button mash is ineffective and will lead to you dying the point of the battles and the terrific enemy AI is to pick and choose wisely, in the early parts mashing buttons will get you somewhere but after that, using the ideal dodges,  blocks heals etc will help a lot, also positioning helps a bunch.   Another part is refining skills and gear which work together in harmony.  If your gear allows for faster recovery then you can use your skills more often due to it shortening cooldowns.  If you base it off life steal you can turn your pure Great weapon fighter into a self healer and survive much longer.   Anyways the difficulty seems to be challenging enough that you will have to work to defeat the larger, elite mobs and have fun rather than killing simple easy mobs over and over.   

Also unfriendly, this has been the easiest game to get into, my sister who doesn't even like mmos or understand them was able to jump in and do several battles without me explaining things which is usually the common occurence when I try to convince her to play and MMO.  She's tried Rift, Aion, Tera online and those are very unfriendly games.  But to say this game will fail due to your bad experience or possible lack of knowledge of the games mechanics is far from the truth and just your opinion.  If you were standing on your toes during combat then they did something right, which is kept you on your toes rather than several other mmo which don't need to be mentioned I could play with one hand while eating a foot long sub etc.