Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if its funded but fails. . . . .

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by skyexile

The fact you think Mark Jacobs hasn't put money into this is retarded, you think those artists are just coming in for free to work on the game concepts? I'm pretty sure he's paying them. Also, if you think its a Doac clone your reading comprehension isn't very good and replying further to you would be utterly pointless. if thats what you think then you may as well call it a WoW clone because he said he wants smooth combat, like WoW...

What make you think he has a team?

All is presented? are scetches of an idea, that is all he has to sell, and people are fullish enough to buy it.

He know that DFUW is not what people expected, plus, ESO is on the horizon, this is the best time to sell his idea.

He stated, that he will listen to people wille making CU, this tell me that he actualy know how to get to your heads, fans.

I think this game will never see the light of day.

Does your money have security to return to you, if he abandon his project?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If you are not ready for this to fund and fail, then you should not have given the money to help out.  Nothing is guaranteed, I am not saying it will, but money and mmos have a bad relationship (ask Schilling).

I also think the $2 million will let them show proof of intrest, and they probably would get more backers if they needed the money, but not give away control or vision.

I doubt very few give money to these things, not thinking their is a chance it may not work out.  I spent $36 on 2 pizzas the other weekend, when I could of probably spent $10 at the grocery store and got the meals out of it my family did...So I 'wasted' $26....So if people want to 'waste' money as some see it on a game they want to play, with the inherited risk of it not working out....Who cares..

I have not donated, to be clear I am not justifying my choices.

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by znaiika

The fact you think Mark Jacobs hasn't put money into this is retarded, you think those artists are just coming in for free to work on the game concepts? I'm pretty sure he's paying them. Also, if you think its a Doac clone your reading comprehension isn't very good and replying further to you would be utterly pointless. if thats what you think then you may as well call it a WoW clone because he said he wants smooth combat, like WoW...

All is presented? are scetches of an idea, that is all he has to sell, and people are fullish enough to buy it.

He know that DFUW is not what people expected, plus, ESO is on the horizon, this is the best time to sell his idea.

He stated, that he will listen to people wille making CU, this tell me that he actualy know how to get to your heads, fans.

I recntly paid $60 for GW2. They showed me lots of videos and screenshots. They had interviews and lots of FAQ's that answered a lot of questions. After all that the one thing they forgot to mention was that it sucked. They didn't tell me that after level cap, PvE was completely useless. They also failed to tell me that WvW had absolutely nothing to fight for. How exactly did my $60 "investment" in GW2 fair better than it might in CU? Either way you are handing over cash to ideas that are presented in a certain way. All we can do is hope what we are paying for is worth it. 

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

im gonna skip qouteing some of the really long posts in here just cause they are really long. silly yes i know

alot of people say im trolling, funny cause if i wanted to troll thier are easyier targets in this whole thing, what in fact i try to get accross is why i fill so aginst kickstarting for something that isnt past the idea stage but this is getting to the point of beating a dead horse.

i understand that i can google for alot of this, but to be honest the information is scattered all over the place and not consoladated, to be honest that is also one of the thing i dislike about this, ALL the info should be in one spot and presented in a understandable orederly fashion, i did indeed look for something like this but could never find one till recently i was given a link to a fan consolidation of information that was done recently. this is a failure on the part of the person trying to make this game he is asking for investments into a project without putting togther a solid portfolio something you would never do when putting a idea foward to a large invester. ( yes people are going to call me a troll for this as well and prob say im wrong Meh im not trolling)

you cant just keep brushing off the concern of people who fill this way about this kickstarters and calling them all trolls or lazy idiots ( and yes that is exactly what you are doing).

and you want us to stop jumping in on this topic even though we dont agree with it, well here is some advice police your people and consoladate your stuff, you got so many repeat threads all over the place that its simply getting on the nerves of the rest of us, doing this simple thing would get alot of people to just leave you all alone.

lastly yes i have been sent a large number of messages and seen severl post saying im a troll or lazy because i didnt read what you get on the kickstarter for dedicating to it, and that one of them is a copy of the game, im sorry i have no plan at this time of adding to it so i never read it. leave me alone about it and stop messageing me about it.

edit: wow ok some of typos where a bit even for me so i had to fix those, i really need a keyboard that lights up.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

If it does fund, I don't think there is much chance it will fail.

Only way that could happen is if CSE really drops the ball and strays heavily from the concept, or is unable to deliver the gameplay he wants.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Looks like this game has got potential. BUT no PvE? That's just not right. I would prefer to have other options as well as RvR. That's disappointing. IMO I think it's fail before the game even starts then....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    it's a niche game, so therefore the majority already considers it a failure.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    it's a niche game, so therefore the majority already considers it a failure.

that is not . . . . .well ok to be honest ya the masses are like that but i like niche games, heck i like eve, main reason i dont play is cause to be honest it makes my head hurt way to much trying to figure out how to make a profit in it (ok diffrent subject)

but that aside niche games are not failures by default, its is just that so many have failed because they couldnt work the niche JUST right because people who like thier niche want it EXACTLY thier way.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Look, im sure by now most people on this site knows full well I dislike the very idea of this game since its based heavily on DaoC...but not even I think it will "fail".

And I dont think it will fail because of what Jacobs himself said his target goal is on this very site...in a reply to me. He stated he is targetting a fraction of the DaoC playerbase at its peak.

DaoC playerbase = 250k at its peak

So I would guess he is shooting for under 80k which many a crap game can do.

80k x $15 a month = 1.2 million per month

That is more than enough for a tiny start up to function and continue to push out content while trying to expand their playerbase. if he had half a brain he would do a multi-tier F2P/Sub setup in order to continue a flow of players coming in and trying to hook more. Otherwise, the game could stay with a low population while still being a "sucess" going by his original goal.

Aim low and you increase your chance of success.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

Its a pretty simple process to go to the website and see them. They each have short bios listed and most are industry vets that have multiple released titles under their belt. CSE already has one release to its credit as well.  If you want to critize the Kickstarter feel free, but making arguments like this when it can easily be discredited by a simple internet search is lame.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Tokken

Looks like this game has got potential. BUT no PvE? That's just not right. I would prefer to have other options as well as RvR. That's disappointing. IMO I think it's fail before the game even starts then....

i thought that way at first then i thought about how amazing say gw2 WvW would be if that was the whole game and they put 100% of their resources in WvW it honestly would be incredible i think.. i think there is room in the MMO world for a pure RvR PVP only game and what better dev to bring this to light than Mark Jacobs

there's going to be plenty of 3 faction MMOs in the future with PVE content like TESO 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by jtcgs

Look, im sure by now most people on this site knows full well I dislike the very idea of this game since its based heavily on DaoC...but not even I think it will "fail".

And I dont think it will fail because of what Jacobs himself said his target goal is on this very site...in a reply to me. He stated he is targetting a fraction of the DaoC playerbase at its peak.

That is more than enough for a tiny start up to function and continue to push out content while trying to expand their playerbase. if he had half a brain he would do a multi-tier F2P/Sub setup in order to continue a flow of players coming in and trying to hook more. Otherwise, the game could stay with a low population while still being a "sucess" going by his original goal.

There are 6302 backers, where do you get the rest to fill 80k players?

I can't believe people throw 10k for game, that does not even have a solid ground.

Better if you give that money to poor, then you'd never feel riped-off, and you'd do more good.

Well, it's your money.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Just look at the KS front page video and you will see his team.

We are not buying an idea, we are backing it. We are saying this idea looks great, and we have enough garanties with the way MJ acts (not meeting them would destroy his career, he pushed away a lot of potential backers by being clear on his goals) to be pretty sure the game will turn out great.

Well, i admit i don't know what words DFUW stands for, be the difference between ESO and CU is there will be no PvE to mess up the PvP balance, and vice versa.

Well, he actually is listening to us, he answered a lot of the comments on KS. He may be getting to our heads, but that's because he is the only one even trying to give us what we want.

I think this game will see the day if it funds. There has been a lot of involvement from MJ, and we will be able to participate to it's building with the forums, the Internal Testing and Alpha/Beta, so i am pretty sure it will be a good game.

He will only abandon if KS doesn't fund, in which case our money didn't even go away.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

i thought that way at first then i thought about how amazing say gw2 WvW would be if that was the whole game and they put 100% of their resources in WvW it honestly would be incredible i think.. i think there is room in the MMO world for a pure RvR PVP only game and what better dev to bring this to light than Mark Jacobs

there's going to be plenty of 3 faction MMOs in the future with PVE content like TESO 

Where did you read there will be nothing to do but RvR? First, the crafter class will be made so it'll be fun to play full time and will be almost useless while fighting so you will just have to focus on surviving or fleeing. Second, MJ stated they were working on other things to do to take a break from RvR.

Originally posted by jtcgs

There are 6302 backers, where do you get the rest to fill 80k players?

I can't believe people throw 10k for game, that does not even have a solid ground.

Better if you give that money to poor, then you'd never feel riped-off, and you'd do more good.

Well, it's your money.

Well, MJ actually gave a number : between 20 and 30k. Also, there are a lot of people who didn't hear about it, i myself heard it mentioned only once by pure chance before actually coming to this forum. Furthermore, a good part of the potential backers wait to see more to pledge, which i understand.

Well, there is the fact that you can throw that pie at MJ for bringing TOA to DAoC that will be extremely satisfying. And there are people out there that have enough money to give that much. And there are guilds that pledge all to the same account, meaning nobody from that guild actually spend that much.

Well, i wonder how many cinema film you watched and found bad, or any holidays that turned awfull, any sport match ticket maybe? Or any restaurant? It can happen with anything.

Well, if you want to do something for the poor, i give you a link down here, all you have to do is spreading the word about it and if it succeds your life will be much better, if it fails you didn't lose anything.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/en

Finally yes it is our money, and it will be our game. Not the publishers'.

Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Are you sure that's his team? did you take a closer look on what that team is doing on their computers? did you see any wallpapers about the game in that office? there are yelow ducks and a dino, this tell me that that room is a playroom for kids not a working office.

Are you sure that's his team? did you take a closer look on what that team is doing on their computers? did you see any wallpapers about the game in that office? there are yelow ducks and a dino, this tell me that that room is a playroom for kids not a working office.

Well yeah, i don't think he would pay some people just to be there, do you?

Besides, listen from 00:43 to 00:49 : "Hi, My name is Mark Jacobs and i'm a co-founder of City State Entertainment (that's those guys over there)"

About the ducks, i know there is a joke going on in the comments but i never knew from where it started, maybe from there? Or are they there because of the joke? Well, it just proves you can have a sense of humor even when working in a studio.

Still waiting for you to answer on the other arguments. For now, it just seems like to me than you are desperately trying to find any little thing to talk bad about the game, i don't really know what to think about it. I guess i'll just tell you how you are wrong each and every time until you get to like the game^^

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

1. ( the main one) what happens when this game gets kickstarted but never launchs ( theroetical question not saying it wont)

Then Mark Jacobs will lose 2 million of his own money + the 1 million from an outside investory + his and his team's reputation and ability to get new projects. Yes the backers could get skrewed, but they are aware of that risk and choose their donation amount appropriately.

2. where is all the info on this game in detail, most things about the game are extrweamly vague at best, heck i cant figure out more about it then its a DAoC clone.

There are 11 Foundation principles which are in depth posts or a manifesto of sorts about how the game will work + interviews. Also the information is compiled, just click on the videos / links / news tabs on the CU section OF THIS VERY WEBSITE.

3. What makes the chances of this game being great more then that of any other PvP or RvR based MMO, when there are so many already that promised the exact same thing this one dose.

Read the FPs and listen to the interviews then make your own decision. Most games involve catering the PVE first so PVP takes a back seat in terms of development and balancing. Also RVR in most games basically involves zergs which end up going around in circles keep trading for rewards rather than actually fighting for their realm's glory/pride.

4. why am i giveing money to someone to work on thier dream project when they themselves wont put money into it before me. (yes i know hes going to add money if we do but he should have done that to begin with, but him commiting to it first would make me fill alot better)

This is the most ignorant point of all. Mark has stated the KS effort alone will cost him 150k whether it succeeds or not. He has raised 3 million from himself + 1 investor. There is little point in committing to desigining a product if you don't have the money to do so.

5.am i going to have to buy the game after investing in the kickstarter, for that matter what kind of payment system will it be. ( this info might be out there i just dont know myself to be honest)

Been answered a million times already. For 25 dollars you are pre-ordering the game. If the project doesn't get funded you pay zero.

I get that the moment something gets traction and becomes popular all of the attention seeking haters / trolls come out to play which is what it is.

My main problem with this post is that you are pretty much acting like a little kid who needs his hand held and can't figure anything out yourself.

Still waiting for you to answer on the other arguments. For now, it just seems like to me than you are desperately trying to find any little thing to talk bad about the game, i don't really know what to think about it. I guess i'll just tell you how you are wrong each and every time until you get to like the game^^

No, I am not trying to find something bad to talk about CU, in fact I wish for it to be funded and delivered as promised, then see if it was worth the investment.

Me? I am out of it, because I see it as not interesting and tedious game, we will see what happen, CU could of been sooo much better.

No, I am not trying to find something bad to talk about CU, in fact I wish for it to be funded and delivered as promised, then see if it was worth the investment.

Me? I am out of it, because I see it as not interesting and tedious game, we will see what happen, CU could of been sooo much better.

I understand you can find it not interesting, but tedious? Unless you meant tiring, it is not the case at all. Players will be able to build a lot of things, so unless you just roam around and fight the same groups that are also just roaming, you will never get the same fight twice.

I understand you can find it not interesting, but tedious? Unless you meant tiring, it is not the case at all. Players will be able to build a lot of things, so unless you just roam around and fight the same groups that are also just roaming, you will never get the same fight twice.

Lots and lots of grind = tedious.

Geather, build, teer-down, destroy, then do it all over again and again and again, for how long? 1 month? 2? 3? maybe four.

That is what you're going to get from CU.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Where did you read there will be nothing to do but RvR? First, the crafter class will be made so it'll be fun to play full time and will be almost useless while fighting so you will just have to focus on surviving or fleeing. Second, MJ stated they were working on other things to do to take a break from RvR.

and what is the purpose of the crafter? to support people in RvR... my point is the whole game is about the RvR even if you have side things to do "inside" the world it's still there to support RvR unlike games like say TESO which will have a big "focus" on 3 faction PVP but of course has a complete PVE game outside the RvR map. I think the decision to stricly focus on the RvR aspect is a good idea like I said plenty of games offer seige warfare but how many in this genre are almost completely focused on that aspect of the game, i think this gives this game a unique oppurtunity to make something special and unique for the genre. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

To answer 1. and 2. There is already money in the project, it will happen wheter or not it gets kickstarted or not. But if it gets kickstarted there is 2 million dollars more for them to improve the game with, if people are intrested enough and want to see that happen, why not?

So MJ will basically put more money into it wheter on not it gets kickstarted. The rest... Well we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt they'll just cancel the project and run away, I'd even assume that's illegal.

Lots and lots of grind = tedious.

Geather, build, teer-down, destroy, then do it all over again and again and again, for how long? 1 month? 2? 3? maybe four.

That is what you're going to get from CU.

Well, grind isn't fun when you kill mobs, meaning when you fight against an AI. Here we will be fighting other humans, that learn from their mistakes, and you won't be able to use the same tricks for more than a few days, or against noobs. that almost isn't grinding, as you won't fight to get to the next level, you fight for fun. Of course you look forward to the next level, but not being there yet isn't a problem.

If you want an example of successful neverending fights, and on top of that with no evolution from your characters, take a look at Super Smash Bross Melee, a game for the Nintendo Gamecube, i know people that still play it even though it's been years it was out and the characters don't have any single way of developping.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

It'll launch most likely and then people are gonna rage all over the forums how it's the biggest POS and biggerst dissapointment and QQ what it should have been... just like with every MMO that has passed.

I'm very skeptic of kickstarter MMOs as MMOs are notorious for not following through with their plans or what plans they do follow through with they are half assed and are there for the sake of saying they have X feature.

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I love how people are saying that Cu is going to be this or that.  the game is not out and is still pretty much an idea.

and what is the purpose of the crafter? to support people in RvR... my point is the whole game is about the RvR even if you have side things to do "inside" the world it's still there to support RvR unlike games like say TESO which will have a big "focus" on 3 faction PVP but of course has a complete PVE game outside the RvR map. I think the decision to stricly focus on the RvR aspect is a good idea like I said plenty of games offer seige warfare but how many in this genre are almost completely focused on that aspect of the game, i think this gives this game a unique oppurtunity to make something special and unique for the genre. 

That's true, it's still part of the RvR. Habitually, people complain about RvR being too tiring for extended or relaxing play, and that PvE would be for that, so i answered to that, although it wasn't really the question^^

Originally posted by Sideras

To answer 1. and 2. There is already money in the project, it will happen wheter or not it gets kickstarted or not. But if it gets kickstarted there is 2 million dollars more for them to improve the game with, if people are intrested enough and want to see that happen, why not?

So MJ will basically put more money into it wheter on not it gets kickstarted. The rest... Well we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt they'll just cancel the project and run away, I'd even assume that's illegal.

You are wrong here. MJ pledged $2M to create the game, but also said if KS doesn't fund it means there won't be enough people that'll play the game to be able to keep it going.

So if KS doesn't fund, and they still need significant money, they will drop the project , and the game won't be made.