Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Gamer Fiction - The Holder’s Dominion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's a rare novel that isn't about an MMO universe but features one instead. Enter Genese Davis's "The Holder's Dominion". Genese will be sharing some of her game world over the next few weeks before embarking on a new column here at MMORPG.com. Check out her inaugural work and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Greetings! Over the next few weeks, my columns will work in a series revolving around the MMO called Edannair found in my novel, The Holder’s Dominion.  It’s a bit of shameless plugging, sure, but will also serve to give you a look at my gaming past and thoughts on the genre. Beyond that I’m excited to share several other independent articles about the development and my opinions for future MMORPGs. Let’s dive in! 

Read more of Genese Davis's Gamer Fiction - The Holder’s Dominion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TimIrishTimIrish Member Posts: 2
    Sounds really interesting. It's nice to see a book out there about gamers and gaming. /cheer 
  • GailqueenGailqueen Member Posts: 2

Hi Genese,

I'm a mother and a grandmother to gamers (they call me queen mother) and I DO ask those same questions. I've always wanted to know more about the games they play, and I had been looking for literature about gaming. I bought your book, and am loving it. I've been following your posts ever since. (-_-) 

• stonyleinstonylein Member UncommonPosts: 88
    looks interesting!
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    I'll check it out! :) 
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Sounds cool, but if you did indeed go hardcore into FFXI you would be hard pressed not to call them linkshells :P.
  • grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

There's a Korean series, "Moonlight Sculptor", that has a similar theme of a gamer who becomes stronger through his activities in game. 

Except in this case it's his willingness to grind until he's coughing up blood that's being glorified... ;) 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Damn your pretty...lol
  • larrypsylarrypsy Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I'm game.......
  • kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I suppose end-game is like an unreachable subgenre for most casual or non-gamers. Otherwsie I have no idea what you are referencing when you say "Heroes can bend the rules of the game, cast spells that are not possible by common gamers, travel to locations that do not appear to exist when a player simply turns on their game." I suppose it is something more along the lines of The M word where gamers become programmers somehow. Otherwise it seems like an intriguing idea to have a game that adapts to the increasing levels of the more skilled gamers to become more in-depth in that it gives them a sense of control over the game world itself. Then again, there is Second Life. I do like the idea of having a book to point at when people say, "Why do you play video games?" instead of avoiding them all day.
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Shameless plug successful. Just bought a digital copy.
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

sounds intresting. BUT - is there a way to buy this electronically (and not through ITUNES - cause i don't have any APPLE stuff)????

What about all of us android fans who read on the road?

Just my 2 cents...

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Always looking for a good read. TY

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Shaike

sounds intresting. BUT - is there a way to buy this electronically (and not through ITUNES - cause i don't have any APPLE stuff)????

What about all of us android fans who read on the road?

Kindle edition

I hope an author some day have the guts to not make the RL threat conciet, and just let the drama be about ingame events in the MMO. You might think: "Then why not just tell it like a real adventure story set in the world of the MMO?" I think that the meta layer that exists in MMO's be course of the MMO/RL divide provide rich opportunities to tell gripping stories that wont need resort to the worn out "lets create a RL threat to engage the reader" trick.

Yeah, sorry, but the synopsis on this just made me go: "*Sigh* How unimaginative..."

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by hfztt

I hope an author some day have the guts to not make the RL threat conciet, and just let the drama be about ingame events in the MMO. You might think: "Then why not just tell it like a real adventure story set in the world of the MMO?" I think that the meta layer that exists in MMO's be course of the MMO/RL divide provide rich opportunities to tell gripping stories that wont need resort to the worn out "lets create a RL threat to engage the reader" trick.

Yeah, sorry, but the synopsis on this just made me go: "*Sigh* How unimaginative..."

I think the book sounds pretty cool. I think you have a pretty good idea there as well...maybe you should write a book? However, shouldn't someone with sophisticated sense such as yourself should know the appropriate and respectful way to critique art?

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Gailqueen

Hi Genese,

I'm a mother and a grandmother to gamers (they call me queen mother) and I DO ask those same questions. I've always wanted to know more about the games they play, and I had been looking for literature about gaming. I bought your book, and am loving it. I've been following your posts ever since. (-_-) 

You sound like an awesome grandma. =)

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

Why would they make an mmo around that concept of a book it sounds dull , because if the authors first foray into real mmos was FF-WoW-Everquest whats the game world she created going to be : / just saying.  Why would any gamer pay to read or play the adventures they have lived for 1000s of hours. If the books adventure is based off of things shes actually done in FF then well be reading a book about the adventures of 100 of dailies/weeklies and endless farming.

On a more positive note though the Author is ZOMGdOoDz hot!!!!

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Damn your pretty...lol

...and, there you have it.

The final verdict.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by kedara
    I suppose end-game is like an unreachable subgenre for most casual or non-gamers. Otherwsie I have no idea what you are referencing when you say "Heroes can bend the rules of the game, cast spells that are not possible by common gamers, travel to locations that do not appear to exist when a player simply turns on their game." I suppose it is something more along the lines of The M word where gamers become programmers somehow. Otherwise it seems like an intriguing idea to have a game that adapts to the increasing levels of the more skilled gamers to become more in-depth in that it gives them a sense of control over the game world itself. Then again, there is Second Life. I do like the idea of having a book to point at when people say, "Why do you play video games?" instead of avoiding them all day.

I kind of get it. As a casual gamer endgame is something I always fear. I enjoy the ride but the raiding and the constant griding to get the ultimate gear is just not fun for me. I don't get that part about MMORPGs... Shouldn't they be built to be fun throughout, even at endgame?

Smile

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I will add it to my list.
  • popalxpopalx Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Looks interesting.

I'm a member of Coloholics Anonymous.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well it doesn't get past the common tropes of stories with games as an integral aspect. There's some quirky desire to make things mythical in a warbly magic way and that has always bothered me.

Hope it finds success any ways.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AMarcusAMarcus Member Posts: 2

I've been raiding for longer than I'd like to admit... >.> so I was curious to see how you'd portray what it is like to be a part of a guild or linkshell. Last month I got a copy of your book and half expected to read some cheesy rendition of gamers and online games. But I'm happy to tell you my initial expectation was dead wrong. :) In fact your book impressed me. Your description of officers, raid leaders, and raiders, how we think, act, and appraise other players was SPOT ON, and I couldn't help but chuckle and nod while reading. Not to mention I enjoyed seeing the new twists you added to your particular MMO. Maybe the industry will add those to PVE and PVP one day. Anyways bravo. Really good book.

Originally posted by wordiz
    Originally posted by hfztt

I think the book sounds pretty cool. I think you have a pretty good idea there as well...maybe you should write a book? However, shouldn't someone with sophisticated sense such as yourself should know the appropriate and respectful way to critique art?

I guess. I have not read the book, so dont take my oppion for more than it is: Someone judgeing a book by its cover.

• ShodhanShodhan Member UncommonPosts: 9
    KOBO, on android, has it too.