Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you tried Aion? Why have I not been playing this?

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

The graphics are great.

The fighting mechanics add a touch of skill to every mob fight.  If you time your attacks at just the right moment, You can do larger amounts of damage.  This was originally thought to be a glitch, but is actually as intended.

When you are going down a hill, you can spread your wings and glide.  The satisfaction of the flight mechanic hits on something no other game even tries to touch.

The PvP is vicious, and starts at about level 25.

Anyhow, yes the game is a little grindy, they actually want players to know how to play their classes before engaging them in PvP and endgame content.

OK So, the game is free, if you haven't tried it, go download it.  With the dribble being fed to you with the recent titles, I know you don't have much better to do, heck you might stay.

There's also still multiple servers, which all have a population too large to allow for mergers, which means the game is healthy.

Good luck hope you give it a try.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I played for quite a while when it first came out.  I never got that far with any of my characters, because it was a huge grind.  I came back for a short time when they promised that things had changed, but level 9 pot crabs still took your full rotation to kill.  They are said to have mostly eliminated all the ganking that happened around Eltinen (sp) though, which is good if it's true.  I had no problem with the graphics or the combat really, but it's a little too "Korean" for me, in the sense that it takes forever to get anywhere.  To some, that might actually be a good thing.

The one thing I did LOVE about Aion: Polearms.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

Actually I wish I could play it as I did buy this game at release. Sadly, I live in the EU and when I last checked there were tons of issues with EU servers. I think i was unable to get some sort of real value for the fact that I actually bought the game in EU and the f2p structure there is awfull.

Can anybody inform me if this has changed?

Edit: Yep now I see, basically having bought the game only gives you verteran status. Which is only mildly better than f2p. Essentially you gonna have to pay it seems. This does nto have to be a problem, its just that i heard very bad things about the EU servers.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I tried to play again a couple of months ago.  If I couldn't handle the original EQ XP grind, I sure as heck can't handle the current Aion XP grind.  If the quests felt more involved and the world weren't so static, I could probably tolerate such a snails pace, but it isn't.  I do like the pace of combat though, it gives you time to make up for mistakes and allows for changes in strategy mid fight.

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

Yeah, Aion's not a bad one. One of my most memorable moments in MMO is the infiltration quests in Aion. Wow, those are heart pounding and can sometimes be real hilarious when you jump on an unsuspecting enemy or when they discover you and make a party to hunt you down. Haha.

I'm just playing GW2 at the moment, I may go back to Aion depending on what MMO is available once I'm done with GW2.

(Edited for grammatical error)

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

The grind was awesome at launch, when they went to F2P they nerfed stuff way too much and made some parts of the game pointless.

I pre-ordered Aion and played it from day 1, loved it 'till lvl 30. Then came the Abyss and PvP. This was the point i figured western gamers don't have a culture of playing in a group like they have in Asia. I was questing / grinding at the same spot with 2 other players from same faction than me, yet this lone enemy took all of us one by one, because they refused to play as a team and help each others. Only way to gain exp and farm drops was to find a hidden spot where you couldn't be found by the enemy.

Also, there were too few dungeons and i didn't like how they played at all. Didn't really expect WoW (vanilla) -like experience but the overall feeling was underwhelming at best.

I tried Aion again when it became F2P, and found it too fast in terms of exp and loot gains. Again, the cutting edge was the Abyss, but it was a fortress siege this time that made me quit the game. All we saw was a huge red carpet of names, that rolled down to the boss of the fortress, and massive lag. It was like an unstoppable force that steamrolled through my fellow faction mates. I bet there must have been a whole big guild or even more at once taking down our fortress.

I don't really like instanced PvP, but this was just insane and not fun at all, and should have been instanced in some degree.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

The flying thing is a massive gimmick. Some classes become completely unbalanced as soon as you take flight. Otherwise, it truly is your standard MMORPG with a flying combat gimmick. Also, I'm not a big fan of PvP so no big draw there for me. I played if for a couple weeks and glided down a couple hills only to get stopped by gravity. Character progression and advancement is standard, nothing new. Combat techniques are old and worn out. Graphics are nice but far from making up for the rest of the game just being lack luster.

That's why I don't play Aion.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Played it a while back, but didnt get more than half way through. Thats not to say its a bad game, I just felt it was time for me to move on.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I quit because of greifers and the grind.

Yes PvP "starts about lvl 25"...lvl 25 vs full geared lvl 40....

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Ditto, I din't mind the grind but as soon as I hit 25 I was getting ganked by 40's when I was questing so often that I hung it up. I would still be playing if they had a pve server to lvl on then transfer to a pvp server.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Played it for several months starting at release. The flying and gliding were incredibly satisfying, as much as any single-player game I've played... which is REALLY quite the accomplishment, now that I think about it. The music and visuals and character creation were all decent. I was fine with the grind even before the first patches they made to tone it down. The luck-based crafting made it worthwhile to be a crafter, though there was also a massive botting problem that NCSoft had no interest in stopping. The invasion PvP was pretty unfair and the small-scale PvP seemed unbalanced towards characters that could move around faster. And while the 200 vs 200 Abyss fights were something really fun to experience, the insurmountable technical hurdles took a lot away from it.

There were enough things about it to keep my interest to the level cap (originally 50) but I couldn't get excited over the prospect of just doing Abyss PvP and quit shortly afterward. I don't regret the time and money I spent though, and I find myself missing the world from time to time.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Played it at release. Neat game, but endgame PvP is far to gear and consumable based for me to enjoy, and my characters likely considered undergeared at this point.

I do think I liked Aion overall better than Tera though. Zones were a bit more interesting, and I liked the leveled Rifts better than just FFA ganking.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I bought the game when it was first released and didn't enjoy it at all.  The box is lurking in the back of a cupboard somewhere.  Typical stale, unremarkable, grindy MMORPG.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i like the art style in AION and i love my low level character but when i log in i get sick of the quest grind so i just dont log in if i know ill quit 20 minutes later.

Same quest grind as in all other mmos but the questing in some of those mmos feel beyond boring and Aion is one of those. The same happens to me with Tera and Rift.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Bought it at the EU launch & still have the CE poster on my wall and the plastic statue gathering dust somewhere -- unsubbed within 6 months or so through a combination of (a) net lag making the game unplayable (b) hitting a grind wall for levelling / gearing / crafting and (c) discovering I really didn't like open-world PvP, and that as a primarily PvE player, "PvPvE" meant "getting regularly ganked while questing as soon as you leave the fortress in the lvl 21+ zone" (I gathered that for primarily PvP players it meant "having to grind PvE content endlessly to get the gear you need to have a chance in high end PvP").

After it went free-to-play I went back to my old character again for all of a few days, and stopped playing on the EU servers within a week or two owing to dislike of Gameforge's handling of the whole thing, rerolled on the NA servers and played on and off for a while, getting a few characters to lvl 30 and again hitting a point where any further progress seemed to involve repeatedly running a somewhat mediocre dungeon that I could only get groups for on my cleric.

Don't really regret buying it or playing it, a lot of the lower level content I found fun -- but I've pretty much moved on now.

It still has my all time favourite character customisation of any MMO or single player game I've ever played.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i like the art style in AION and i love my low level character but when i log in i get sick of the quest grind so i just dont log in if i know ill quit 20 minutes later.

Same quest grind as in all other mmos but the questing in some of those mmos feel beyond boring and Aion is one of those. The same happens to me with Tera and Rift.

I dislike Tera and Rift for the same reasons, too.  Completely uninspired game design.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Aion didn't do a single thing for me.....Quit after about 2 hours of play.....MMos have to grab me early and this game just did not.....
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Aion didn't do a single thing for me.....Quit after about 2 hours of play.....MMos have to grab me early and this game just did not.....

Did you even find Tutty?
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I played shortly after launch. Got tired of being owned in pvp.  Tried every game on the market, then revolved back to this one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I started playing casually, and right now I have a level 47 Ranger on the Eloyos side.  It's as good as any other theme park game and free to play to boot. 

Will probably stick with it until something new and interesting comes along.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Redcor
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Ditto, I din't mind the grind but as soon as I hit 25 I was getting ganked by 40's when I was questing so often that I hung it up. I would still be playing if they had a pve server to lvl on then transfer to a pvp server.

well then u can go back now i guess. they implemented the fast track server where u can play with ppl from all servers without the pvp. the server is available till u hit 50..then u have to lvl on your main server.

OT:

loved the game too. played it from day one till gameforge took it over in eu. terrible company with the worst forum mods ive ever seen.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

The graphics are great.

The fighting mechanics add a touch of skill to every mob fight.  If you time your attacks at just the right moment, You can do larger amounts of damage.  This was originally thought to be a glitch, but is actually as intended.

When you are going down a hill, you can spread your wings and glide.  The satisfaction of the flight mechanic hits on something no other game even tries to touch.

The PvP is vicious, and starts at about level 25.

Anyhow, yes the game is a little grindy, they actually want players to know how to play their classes before engaging them in PvP and endgame content.

OK So, the game is free, if you haven't tried it, go download it.  With the dribble being fed to you with the recent titles, I know you don't have much better to do, heck you might stay.

There's also still multiple servers, which all have a population too large to allow for mergers, which means the game is healthy.

Good luck hope you give it a try.

Graphics are mediocre at best. Combat has nothing to do with skill, least not more than any other mmorpg you can faceplant and do about the same dps as anyone else. Unless you're talking about animation cancel, which is a glitch, just one they will never fix(or maybe can't fix)

Gliding is fun but to list this as a reason to play? lol

PvP is pvp no matter where you go, this game has a shit ton of griefers just like other pvp games, though i'd argue it has more than others since its f2p.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I put in close to a year playing Aion, and it's a decent enough game in it's own right, but the grind out weighed the fun for me at later levels and I lost interest.  I ended up taking a few characters to around 50 but then just burnt out.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    NCsoft going too kill the game. Just like everything else they kill.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

a game thats main advertising is based on the flying aspect, which you can do very rarely. honestly aside from the flying it is just like any other generic fantasy MMO put out in korea at that time, nothign to set it apart other then the aspect whic you cant use very often.

i tried is for a week then went meh, and moved on.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• FenixxSielsFenixxSiels Member Posts: 2
    imageOriginally posted by Etherignis
    NCsoft going too kill the game. Just like everything else they kill.

NcSoft has touched this from day one...they are not great but honestly a game is a game. NcFail wont change my mind to play this game till it dies. I am a day one to end kind of girl, I love to be tortured :D