Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Burning Corpses (WARNING: Wild Internet Speculation inside)

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

MJ said we can burn corpses, which is great. But then I thought to myself, why would that be an option? Why would we need to burn them? Certainly not just for sadistic pleasure (after all I'll already be getting that in a more potent form by burning your home and town)...but maybe, just maybe, in a perfect world, if they aren't burned they reanimate and try to bring down our giant protective ice wall?

Lets look at my highly factual researched evidence. Zombies are pretty cool, so is burning corpses, coincidence? I hope not. Bam evidence, bam speculation, gotta love to hate it! Woooo (puts on sparkly robe and struts out of room)

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,501Member Uncommon
    When he said that I thought right away of finishers in GW2. Are there going to be finishers or is it some other mechanic I don't know about?
  • grogstormgrogstorm Peyton, COPosts: 304Member Uncommon

I am thinking more on the lines of, a burnt corpse cannot be resurrected where an un-burnt one can.

Grog

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Maybe we can burn them then launch them off catapaults into strongholds held by the enemy? Maybe we can infect them with the Plague and launch them over the enemies walls. THAT would be kind of neat.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Slampig
    Maybe we can burn them then launch them off catapaults into strongholds held by the enemy? Maybe we can infect them with the Plague and launch them over the enemies walls. THAT would be kind of neat.

That, is really really cool. I love that idea. Burn them or A. they can be rezzed. and B. they contract a spreadable plague so either burn them to avoid it, or launch them into an enemy castle! That is cool.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 162Member
    If all burning does is negate the possibility of rez, and it's not easy to do, which he seemed to indicate, that's okay. If there's a lameass mechanic like the downed state in GW2, that could be a dealbreaker. That's one of the dumbest things I've seen implemented in a while.
  • StonemasonStonemason fraser lake, BCPosts: 24Member

My guess you burn corpes to prevent the player from receiving a rez. MJ indicated death penalties will be painful and bind locations will be sparce.To me that means if you die and cant get a rez it will be a long run back to the action(think Old School). Burning a corpes forces the player to release. Having said that, I must say zombies sound pretty cool. Not to sure if they fit in with the lore.

I wanted to add this. When a player was killed they could still look around and in doing so relay important info on enemy number and direction of travel. Burning the corpse to force a release would then have a strategic appeal.

Originally posted by Stonemason
    My guess you burn corpes to prevent the player from receiving a rez. MJ indicated death penalties will be painful and bind locations will be sparce.To me that means if you die and cant get a rez it will be a long run back to the action(think Old School). Burning a corpes forces the player to release. Having said that, I must say zombies sound pretty cool. Not to sure if they fit in with the lore.

Good point, how about demon spirits?

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    It has to be a reference to remove the option of revival or that the recently dead become a source of disease and plague... thus, useful as siege weaponry.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I am thinking more on the lines of, a burnt corpse cannot be resurrected where an un-burnt one can.

Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?

• naezgulnaezgul Homer Glen, ILPosts: 374Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

MJ said we can burn corpses, which is great. But then I thought to myself, why would that be an option? Why would we need to burn them? Certainly not just for sadistic pleasure (after all I'll already be getting that in a more potent form by burning your home and town)...but maybe, just maybe, in a perfect world, if they aren't burned they reanimate and try to bring down our giant protective ice wall?

Lets look at my highly factual researched evidence. Zombies are pretty cool, so is burning corpses, coincidence? I hope not. Bam evidence, bam speculation, gotta love to hate it! Woooo (puts on sparkly robe and struts out of room)

So they can't be rezzed

• KappenWizKappenWiz Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 162Member
    Originally posted by Stonemason

Having said that, I must say zombies sound pretty cool. Not to sure if they fit in with the lore.

There were zombie-rezzes in DAoC so I think bending the lore a little is doable.

I'm gonna go with majority, though, it's to prevent rezzes and info gathering by dead players.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member
    it's a finisher.

I know it's controversy but I like the GW2 system, tweaked for CU it could be great and the idea that I'm struggling as a guy is lighting me on fire is intense.

• PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Burning corpses...so there will be cooking in this game I take it...

I just want to know if we can skin them before burning them.  I need some TDD skin boots!

Grog

Originally posted by Psychow
    Burning corpses...so there will be cooking in this game I take it...

Cooking a hot dog on the corpse of my enemies while enjoying a flagon of mead. Ah.

I just want to know if we can skin them before burning them.  I need some TDD skin boots!

If we can mount their antlers on our wall certainly we can skin them first.

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

thats the vibe i got. but it would still take a cast time of like 10 sec or something to res a dead person.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TroianmanTroianman Somewhere, CAPosts: 82Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Yay for season 3!

Anyway, burning seems like it would just be a way of preventing rezzing (automatically drains release timer, etc) and maybe getting some crispy corpse pieces or other items for decorations? 

• grimjakkgrimjakk Tumwater, WAPosts: 192Member
    Originally posted by skyexile

thats the vibe i got. but it would still take a cast time of like 10 sec or something to res a dead person.

Sounds about right.  But... unless necromancy is a "thing", it's probably mostly a way to force a /release after a battle so the corpse can't relay intelligence to his mates.  Fling the enemy dead into a ditch and light 'em up. ;)

• CincCinc charlotte, NCPosts: 8Member
    I haven't heard anything about a downed state ala GW2 where you can fight back or revive yourself if left alone long enough. Sounds more like the type of thing you would do to either someone you want to make sure doesn't get back in the fight or at the end of a fight to avoid corpse scouting.  Doesn't seem like a very big deal as long as the corpse burning is not meant as a counter to a downed like state.

From Update #11

" 7) What’s the death penalty going to be like in Camelot Unchained?

For battles to be meaningful, I believe that Camelot Unchained needs to have a death penalty that stings a little bit. No perma-death, no corpse looting (there are rewards but that is complicated) but also - no instant rez (rez takes time), no self-rez (even for healers), dead = dead, when dead your body can be burned/magically attacked by the enemy (takes time) or you can release, no item decay on death (use/enemy attack based only), limited bind points (there is a healer + crafter mechanic that can come into play), “rez sickness” like mechanic and last but not least divine intervention. "

I think it would be nice to add item decay if you stay arround and let them burn your corpse.  This would help prevent dead bodies from staying arround just to send intel.

Grog

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

Originally posted by Cinc
    I haven't heard anything about a downed state ala GW2 where you can fight back or revive yourself if left alone long enough. Sounds more like the type of thing you would do to either someone you want to make sure doesn't get back in the fight or at the end of a fight to avoid corpse scouting.  Doesn't seem like a very big deal as long as the corpse burning is not meant as a counter to a downed like state.
    god i hope theres no down state like that. states as i see them:

alive - go figure.
    dead - able to be revived by healer or res at graveyard.
    burned - only able to res at graveyard

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• HorafHoraf Rougemont, NCPosts: 15Member
    Maybe we have to burn our own realm-mates.  As a Viking, I demand a full longship pyre every time I die, so I can reach Valhalla!!
  • KrullenKrullen SydneyPosts: 18Member

"and last but not least divine intervention"

Well that sounds like a chaos teaser. The hand of god falls down on a random dead person and rezzes them on the spot. Awesome.

DAOC - Krullen - Hero/Tristan