Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Character Progression in the Spotlight

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    I can not wait for april 27th!  

same see you then:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Highjack!!

Is this the open beta or we have to be invited into this one too?

Originally posted by Beyorn

Highjack!!

Is this the open beta or we have to be invited into this one too?

open beta starts the 30th

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SeptdeezSeptdeez Member UncommonPosts: 21
    this is full of win
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

This is a Cryptic game.  This is what they do.  This is what they have always done.  This is what they are known for.  Small, action based games with no real lore or intrigue where you do not have to think but just hit a few buttons and go on to the next area.

City of Heroes was an excellent game, but by no means was it a deep game or have any real substance (other than the Invention Origins systems which came later).

Champions Onlins is basically the same way.  A little action game where you make a couple of choices but that is about it.  Again, nothing wrong with that.

The problem comes when Cryptic somehow acquires the IPs for two of the most storied, lore friendly franchises of all time.  Star Trek, which has 50 years attached to it and the Forgotten Realms which has massive amounts of written lore.

The people who love those two franchises do so because of the rich history that goes along with each universe.

But Cryptic does what they always do, make little action based games.  Is there a true fan of Star Trek who can actually play STO and say it is a faithful adaptation to the Star Trek universe?  Hell no.  Is there a true fan of either D&D or the Forgotten Realms who can honestly say that Neverwinter represents the best of the Forgotten Realms?  Of course not.

They went 4th edition because it's easy to do.  Cryptic does easy things.  They do not spend time on developing complex gaming systems or games with true depth.

How could anyone actually think this game would turn out to be anything other than an instanced based, lobby-level grind, F2P money grab?  Especially when every game is a precedent.  PWE buying them made them even more of what they are.

Completely agree with your points. PWE and Cryptic are not even in my top 10 of gaming companies I like or trust. Being a D&D fan I can say after spending time in beta that this game does not deserve the D&D title in it. It does not represent the true lore and nature of a D&D or Forgotten Realms world. 

After playing the game I can say that I enjoyed my time in the game. The combat (though simple) was fun. It was a game that my nephew and myself could hop in and play together. We had lots of fun and laughs playing. The PvP was fun and at lower levels that we played seemed balanced but can see where CWs and Clerics seemed to rule.

I will play the game at launch, but do not see myself contributing to the game much. I see the game more as a hop in and play once in a while for quick fun. Definately do not see myself getting lost in the lore and emersion of the D&D world.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by harvest151
    I'm just hoping it doesn't take them to long to get more classes out

Enter the famous Cryptic Cash Shop.  At their current rates?  Your new "Class" will run ya about 20 bucks.

fine with me game is free.. $20 is a bit steep id pay $10 for a new class though

Lets just forget the fact that Cryptic has stated multiple times that classes released post launch will be 100% free. . .

. . .Its even in thier FAQ  for pete's sake. . .

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Interesting, I just read that this beta weekend will have their "gateway" site operational yet there is no mention of this in the article.

It allows you to craft, use the Auction House, check out your characters gear/items and even set up guild activities using any device connected to the internet.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by sayuu

Enter the famous Cryptic Cash Shop.  At their current rates?  Your new "Class" will run ya about 20 bucks.

fine with me game is free.. $20 is a bit steep id pay $10 for a new class though

Lets just forget the fact that Cryptic has stated multiple times that classes released post launch will be 100% free. . .

Originally posted by jtcgs

Interesting, I just read that this beta weekend will have their "gateway" site operational yet there is no mention of this in the article.

It allows you to craft, use the Auction House, check out your characters gear/items and even set up guild activities using any device connected to the internet.

yea it's a pretty nice little utility

• smasonsmason Member Posts: 1
    Even with the changes, choice is total shit.  You still wind up using the same powers, you just have to wait and grind levels to unlock it.  Giving me a choice between A & B is not choice when the quality and quantity of the choices is so restrictive. D&D 4e is gonna hurt this game bad.  From a guy who's been playing D&D for 30 years, and every d&d game ever released, this is by far the most restrictive and pidgeonholed setup I've ever seen.  This is a prequel to the cash/zen shop's effect on the game.  Feel free to hate, but after a few months of alpha, and seeing the direction the game is going and the ruleset implemented, there are going to be alot of suprised and angry D&D computer gamers.  Thankfully I saw "Cryptic" on the website and turned and ran my ass off so I didn't get infected with the need to fleece people and release 1/2-ass games.  Neverwinter may be different, but theres no way in hell i'll ever get my hopes up for a cryptic game again.   They will be in bankrupcy before 2013.  Just look at activision.  They couldnt pass this smoking turd of a company off any faster than they did and BOOM - Bankrupt.  One may have had nothing to do with the other, but it seems everything Cryptic touches turns to shit.   I don't need to wait around to see it happen.  I simply know it will.

Activision didnt file becasue of doing bad they did it for over seas reasons., something to do with being able to sell off some titles over seas, so it really just let them restructure.

i dont trust cryptic myself after STO and the zen shop prices are insane.  the $per zen is way off.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    dam cryptic i hope private servers pop up

hallo ~_~

• LevicusLevicus Member Posts: 22
    Good move made here. The previous leveling system was far too linear for people like myself. I am more willing to give Never winter a try again not only because of the change but also because it sounds like the devs are willing to listen to its customers.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by sayuu

That's not true at all.  The classes released at launch will be free including the Drow, which will be available 60 days after launch.  They've not said what, if anything, they will charge for classes in the future.

From their extended FAQ on the forums:

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular Drow race will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!

could of sworn they had something on free classes... oh well even if they did charge $10 for a new class wouldn't be the end of the world for me

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Does this mean that the wizard will now get access to fireball and lightning bolt as flavor options instead of being stuck with ice and magic missile?

• papagriz33papagriz33 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Meh...not much of a change really.  Leveling to end-game will be fast enough that it doesn't matter what choices you make as you grind.  This just opens the door for FOTM builds & the selling of respec potions.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by gillrmn
    Character customization is Achilles Heel of Neverwinter ...

You mean its ok, untill someone shoots it with an arrow ? :P

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Sweet! More customization sounds great!
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    I like and support this change... Good move in the right direction for me, and now something that I can start to pay more attention to..
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Margrave
    Sweet! More customization sounds great!

Its not adding a single thing to "customization." What you are getting is a gated system that is haphazard at best since you'll invest points before knowing what a skill really does or how it functions. 

On top of that, you can no longer "max" all skills so now Cryptic has another reason to sell you a $5 or $10 respec token later on. 

Its another cash grab in a consumable heavy game. Not impressed and unless they made the Paragon choices truly meaningful then its simply window dressing.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Yeah good move, I'm actually playing CO as a freeform and to be honest, I don't think I've had this much fun since early GW2. There are definitely more than just a "few choices" to be had and I can tell this was an ambitious game way back when. It's a shame PWE swallowed it up because I can tell now that this overlord is stifling any more improvement to be had in CO. I'd hope that PWE doesn't do the same to Neverwinter but they will eventually. I hate that company so very very much.
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Folks should really go take a close look at STO. Cryptic is doing the same thing here. I already forsee Menzo lock boxes, pay-to-win items and nickle/dime everything else like minions and health stones...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Rohn
    More choice in character development is a good thing.  We'll see how it works, but sounds like a good change.

Point systems are NEVER MORE,they are a fake way to fool gamers into thinking they have choice.

The way you create versatility is thorugh the sub class system ,aka Hybrid system.

Then to keep things realsitic you create an in depth RACE system, that all ties into the Hybrid system.

FFXI showed us the template to do great things with gaming,all devs need to do is tweak it,better it and you have a great game.

With a sub class it allows you to learn EVERYTHING,your not going to get any more versatility than that.However just as in real life,your not going to be a master of everything,so what FFXI did to balance it was cut the sub in half,so although you might know everything,your sub class would be limited to half of it's ability.It actually works brilliantly.

When you have a points system,EVERYTHING is predictable,they might even limit your choice of unlock,making it even worse yet.SO they might say at level 5 give you a choice to unlock healing or stealth,but knowing that at level 5 you need neither,so in essence you gained nothing useful and in reality had no real choice.

Then perhaps at level 40 you have been able to unlock 10 abilities but the dev knows exactly what you might need,and made sure to give you only one real useful one at that level,perhaps a second healing aiblity that heals AOE needed to fight creatures that use AOE spells,see how it works?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    This is good :) One of my main complaints was the lack of customization!

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I'm glad they've gone in this direction. The closer they get to the tabletop game, the happier I am. I can't wait until they start incorporating more of the classes and races like the Eladrin and Aasimars/Devas!

However, like others have said, I do wish they would give players the ability to utilize more abilities at a given time rather than restrict players to 7 slots. It's the ole 'dumbing down' so everyone can enjoy it mentality. It aggravates me to no end!

Why should the smart people have to suffer? If you can't hack all those buttons at once play Tic-Tac-Toe or Duck Hunt or stick with Mario Bros. I'm sick of being penalized for being intelligent, because 70% of the population is dumber than a post!

Sorry for the rant, but I want to be challenged; not have everything simplified. Simplification is for the lazy zombified morons!

Other than that, I'm happy with the changes to character progression.

Now, if Cryptic could just improve the facial and hair textures and give us more customization options in the character creator I'd be satisfied!

Your fail comment, failed.

this new system hasn't gotten very good feedback so far.. and honestly I dislike it.. it doesn't really offer much "choice" at all.. in theory it would work if they added more powers but not adding any powers make this new system pointless as you basically get every single skill in each tier as you level anyway in order to unlock the next tier... you get some "slight" customization at 20 points when you unlock tier 3 upgrades but then really the only sort of customization you are getting is making an ability a tad stronger but overall you are still using all the same abilities you were in the old system..  without a slew of new abilities i feel this new system was just a waist of effort on the dev side