Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IGN: Defiance's Game-TV Crossover is Disappointing

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Volgore

Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/defiances-game-tv-crossover-is-disappointing

“[Content] is relatively set now, because a lot of things have to be determined up front for creating game content or shooting a TV show,” explains Trion Worlds’ VP of development Nathan Richardsson. “Tie-ins with the TV show for when both go live aren't that many, but going forward there’ll be much more of the dynamic content [and they] will have a bigger effect on each other.”

Michael Nankin, supervising producer :  “We don’t know yet if there’s going to be a season two"

I hope everyone enjoys the game as is, because "but what we do in game will affect the show!" is not going to happen anytime soon and "there will be many seasons coming, so accordingly the game will receive tons more content" is not yet fixed at all.

I t**d y*u s* -guess the missing letters.

Yes, as it has been explained numerous times now... 

The game will not effect the show until after the first season. This was clearly stated by Trion. 

The show does in fact tie into the game though as we have seen from the 15 minute preview and the first story missions. 

They have planned for a season two, but no they aren't guaranteed one. No show is guaranteed a second season. It depends on ratings. Monday night is a good slot and they have next to no competition in the scifi area. 

Trion actually hasn't invested in the TV show, Syfy has invested in the game and explained that the TV shows are always a loss what makes it a success or not is number of viewers to bring in those advertising dollars. 

I'm not sure who you told what, but I would wait until things have happened prior to celebrating. 

Hes one of the anti Defiance people who are just trying to rile up people into an anti Defiance forum. Problem is everyone knows who they are. So there isn't a point. Everyone knew this information who cared enough to research it or read about it, but the people who don't are just going to hate the game more because they are constantly posting about it.

Except that the "tie-in" was the #1 promo feature when Trion spoke about the game -while up to today it's not even shure if it will happen.

Turns out to be another PR gimmick like the "trial servers for an upcoming promotion incl. a huge influx of new players" in Rift.

I'm not sure how considering the game tie in is gauranteed for at least one season. We've already seen an example of this tie in. The first story mission which expires April 15th continues in the very first episode of the series. 

I have no idea why the must be repeated but you are incorrect. The only thing that is up in the air is the game effecting the TV show after the first season. The tie in however will exist for the first season if nothing else. 

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/defiances-game-tv-crossover-is-disappointing

“[Content] is relatively set now, because a lot of things have to be determined up front for creating game content or shooting a TV show,” explains Trion Worlds’ VP of development Nathan Richardsson. “Tie-ins with the TV show for when both go live aren't that many, but going forward there’ll be much more of the dynamic content [and they] will have a bigger effect on each other.”

Michael Nankin, supervising producer :  “We don’t know yet if there’s going to be a season two"

I hope everyone enjoys the game as is, because "but what we do in game will affect the show!" is not going to happen anytime soon and "there will be many seasons coming, so accordingly the game will receive tons more content" is not yet fixed at all.

Yes, as it has been explained numerous times now... 

The game will not effect the show until after the first season. This was clearly stated by Trion. 

The show does in fact tie into the game though as we have seen from the 15 minute preview and the first story missions. 

They have planned for a season two, but no they aren't guaranteed one. No show is guaranteed a second season. It depends on ratings. Monday night is a good slot and they have next to no competition in the scifi area. 

Trion actually hasn't invested in the TV show, Syfy has invested in the game and explained that the TV shows are always a loss what makes it a success or not is number of viewers to bring in those advertising dollars. 

I'm not sure who you told what, but I would wait until things have happened prior to celebrating. 

problem is that even people in charge of show doesn't know if there will be a second season. As stated by michael nankin.

We all knew and know that TV shows aren't gauranteed a second season. This isn't something knew or unheard of. Every new TV series has a chance of being cancelled. This goes for any show. Why is this suddenly some ground breaking revalation for some?

I hope I cleared this up for you guys. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I wouldn't expect this to be fully fleshed out until maybe a second season, if it happens.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

... I would wait until things have happened prior to celebrating. 

But...but...then you'd miss out on the "told you so, first" prize!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Well if those comments are directly from devs who cares whether IGN is involved or not.

Regarding the tie-in - that's really disappointing to hear that there won't be very much.  The game is already extremely lean on content, so if there isn't much of a tie-in either, not sure what they are really going to do with it to keep people playing long term?

Originally posted by Margulis

Well if those comments are directly from devs who cares whether IGN is involved or not.

Regarding the tie-in - that's really disappointing to hear that there won't be very much.  The game is already extremely lean on content, so if there isn't much of a tie-in either, not sure what they are really going to do with it to keep people playing long term?

lol, my last attempt. You guys are taking the comment out of context. The comments from the Devs you are reffering to are discussing the fact that the game won't have much of any effect on the show early on. The show on the other hand is going to have an effect on the game. Dear lord, I'm going to get a migrane reading these posts. 

Look, here are some basics for you guys. 

1) A TV show is already written, filmed, and produced before it airs on TV. This makes it so the game can not have much impact on the first season, because its already completed... 

2) The benefit of this is that the game will get content based off of whats going to happen in the next episode of the show. 

3) When the second season gets the OK they can start writting, filming, and producing it with things that have happened in game in mind. That is if they get a second season. 

To my knowledge not a single fan of the game ever assumed that the game would have a major impact on the show or influence it much, that seems to only be trolls making this assumption. What a rational sane adult would assume is that the story missions in game are going to give more information on things that are have or will happen in the show. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DalekThay
    Wow. I'm sorry, but making a tie-in game for a TV show without being guaranteed at least two seasons just screams 'bad investment' to me. It will be interesting to see how this turns out in a year or so...

Seems fine to me.  You get a game world with higher-quality writing than your typical game setting, with a chance for the world to expand in an interesting way.

If the show fails to catch on and gets cancelled, there's nothing stopping the game from still continuing.  Hell, they could still branch out into other mediums like books and maybe a movie, a-la Serentiy, without much trouble if they wanted.

The game and show are linked together, but they are not dependent on each other to survive.

You make me like charity

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Did I just see someone claiming to KNOW the game saying they were ego 180-190?  Seriously?  Just doing the Mount Tam area (no golds) I had an ego of 240.  Which means, you're NOT DOING IT RIGHT.  Seriously.

Time trials, rampages, click 3's, fetches, investigates, guards, 3 different types of arkfalls (bugs, mutants and I don't remember the 3rd off hand but I saw another group).

I swear people just wanna run around and shout DOOOOOOOOOM!  It isn't better for the community and it isn't getting "better" games out.  I wish we had a way to upvote and downvote on this forum...  and the IGN post I read this morning.  Everything that's been written has been highly critical. 

Should I go back and find bad parts of GW2 and it's constant DOWNTIME for the first week?  What about the AH?  IGN didn't say 2 words about them.  So yes, biased they are.

It's not a TERRIBLE game, it's also not a great game.  It has the possibility to be good but it can also rock the other way.  Look at EQ2's launch.  It was terrible, but yet it's HIGHLY regarded.  Ebbs and flows.  I'll be playing this, Age of Wushu, TSW.  I feel like I've got everything... I can play based on my preference.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Margulis

Read all of the comments, then return. 

Not so nice guy!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Another reviewer that didn't get paid off. Trion take note. You need to grease ALL wheels not just some
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Correction. Trion and SyFy told us so, a long time ago. Anyone paying attention to the game & show was already well aware of this and isnt expecting much impact from the game to the show until after the 1st season.

BTW, you should probably find better sources than IGN for things like reviews. They barely even know how to play the game, dont even know how half the systems / mechanics work, and think several things are bugs that are actually working as intended but they're just too stupid to make sense of it (like getting into the passenger side of the car).

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    The upside of being in an alpha, is when you hit the point when you know a game is beyond saving, then you can then safely confirm that it is not worth your money.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Frankly I will be surprised if this goes the full 10 episodes. I watched the making of Defiance tonight and realized how totally insane the producers of this show really are. 

1) The Syfy Channel does not generate the HUGE advertising dollars say one of the big networks.

3) Cast is WAY too big, and has too many name actors.

2) Cost per episode is going to be insane, special effects, CGI, and set design is not cheap.

Remember Terra Nova?

Great show huge fan following, Steven Spielburg, and the deep deep pockets of  FOX broadcasting. Even with all that going for it they got canceled because they would have had to have 45 minutes of primetime advertising and only 15 minutes of TV show to cover the cost per episode.

Want to make a TV show that has a long multi season run?

Have a cast of  three maybe four actors, with 2 or three support actors.

Only have one known actor simply for the advertising sales.

Have a small limited stage set, be it an apartment, house, or coffee shop.

Avoid CGI or special effects at all costs.

Get all your actors to sign an unbreakable non-negotiable 6 year contract up front . Otherwise after a season or two the actors will try and hold you over a barrel because they now have fans.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

We all knew and know that TV shows aren't gauranteed a second season. This isn't something knew or unheard of. Every new TV series has a chance of being cancelled. This goes for any show. Why is this suddenly some ground breaking revalation for some?

Ground breaking revelation? did i give you that impression any where in my post? all i am saying that is that instead of relying on second season (unless they are 100% positive that second season will happen) they should have more  tie ups in place in first season so that Defiance players get a chance to experince the cross over in case the show is canned after season 1. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    in the last few years syfy nearly dropped allll their good sci fi shows. was wondering anyway how long this could last.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    Most reviews of the game suck, and the game is fantastic. I do NOT believe YOU, iGN!
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Thane
    in the last few years syfy nearly dropped allll their good sci fi shows. was wondering anyway how long this could last.

Exactly. I loved the preview and i hope it goes on for atleast 5 years but given the history of syfy i won't be shocked if it gets cancelled after 1 season.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Exactly. I loved the preview and i hope it goes on for atleast 5 years but given the history of syfy i won't be shocked if it gets cancelled after 1 season.

Never could understand myself why a program like Firefly got canned after its first season, even though they went on to make a really good film too after it was dropped (Serenity) and yet the number of mediocre programs keeps rising.. just saying, that even if Defiance doesnt get a second season, that doesnt make it bad, it might even mean its very good. image

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Phry

Never could understand myself why a program like Firefly got canned after its first season, even though they went on to make a really good film too after it was dropped (Serenity) and yet the number of mediocre programs keeps rising.. just saying, that even if Defiance doesnt get a second season, that doesnt make it bad, it might even mean its very good. image

I think it was at least partially because the episodes were shown out of order (intentionally or accidentally I don't know).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I was excited when I first heard about the new Defiance TV (Sci-Fi) series.  However, after seeing the trailer for it I was very disapointed. The CGI looked bad, I will still watch it because I have a weak spot for this genre.

@DMKano: Just because it is shot doesn't mean they have to air them all if it bombs viewer wise. I can name many a shows that stopped being aired after 6 episodes and they had whole seasons shot and more planned. Just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The thing that confuses me is that you have a lot of people crying because the MMO industry does nothing new and creative. Then...when developers try something new and creative, people cry about it. I have no interest in Defiance, but I applaud them for going outside the box.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Betaguy

I was excited when I first heard about the new Defiance TV (Sci-Fi) series.  However, after seeing the trailer for it I was very disapointed. The CGI looked bad, I will still watch it because I have a weak spot for this genre.

@DMKano: Just because it is shot doesn't mean they have to air them all if it bombs viewer wise. I can name many a shows that stopped being aired after 6 episodes and they had whole seasons shot and more planned. Just saying.

The president of SyFy stated in a panel discussion in a direct answer to an audience member about Defiance getting pulled after several episodes, and he said - not this time, the whole session is filmed and that SyFy will show the first full season.

I have faith that Defiance the show will do well, but you never know, there are no guarantees no matter what anyone says. I'll be watching, that much I know.

There is some concrete rumors that Firefly is coming back... ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Ground breaking revelation? did i give you that impression any where in my post? all i am saying that is that instead of relying on second season (unless they are 100% positive that second season will happen) they should have more  tie ups in place in first season so that Defiance players get a chance to experince the cross over in case the show is canned after season 1. 

Yes, the news that a show could get cancelled after the first season seemed to be something you had never considered before. 

In any case... they plan to have the story mission tie-ins once a week. If they show only airs once a week how can they have more? You are going to get to experience the very first tie-in April15th if you've done the story mission that is. 

The show tie-in with the game was never in question. It exists and will continue to exist even if its just through the first season. The only thing that is up in the air is the game impacting the show since it requires a second season to do so. 

As far as the show getting canceled goes. Odd little thing to keep in mind. Syfy actually invested in the game. Defiance is not only going to be bringing in revenue through the traditional commercial dollars but they are also getting a cut off of the profits from the game. The show has a better shot at a second season than most. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Syfy is the network that puts out such great titles as Sharktopus and Atomic Cyclone... their standards can not be considered high. That said, for any future seasons, it is all about production cost, and that like any network, they don't want to spend the money for a show getting average ratings. They have previously canceled several of their better series for this reason. Personally, having played the beta, I think the game will run out of steam before the show does, it is too bloody shallow.
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I do actually find it funny that SyFy wanted to use horses and Trion was like "Dur... nope!".  I guess I'm just glad that Trion didn't make any Red Dead games.  I do find Defiance to be a fun, but rather forgettable game.  People compare it to Borderlands II, but it doesn't have nearly the same charm.  Here's to hoping that the game turns itself around.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Syfy is the network that puts out such great titles as Sharktopus and Atomic Cyclone... their standards can not be considered high. That said, for any future seasons, it is all about production cost, and that like any network, they don't want to spend the money for a show getting average ratings. They have previously canceled several of their better series for this reason. Personally, having played the beta, I think the game will run out of steam before the show does, it is too bloody shallow.

Their standards for movies isn't high.  Their standards for shows and miniseries are more or less through the roof.  Look at Face Off.  Look at Ghost Hunters.  Look at Warehouse 13.  Look at Battlestar Galactica.  However, I kinda have to agree with you on the cancelation part, but while the shows are on the air, they are just gold.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?