Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope theleveling has been slowed down

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
I hope the leveling for combat classes gets slowed down majorly, I am tired of these mmo's where you can hit lv cap in a class in 2-3 days. Its also why most newer mmo's fail because they allow players to get to the end too fast. I was in the alpha and got to level 14 or 15 in a very short time without even trying. I hope that was just accelrated exp gains.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25

Is your enjoyment of the game purely a function of time? What if the game took half as long to get to the end, but was three times as enjoyable in terms of combat and content?

I suppose the way to get the best of both would be to provide really enjoyable end game content.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I think I might have heard them mention that the experience gain was increased for beta so that more people can test the content.
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Your first class to 50 will be fast. The quests make it that way... however, your second or third class will be slower because you can't re-do the quests.

This isn't like other mmos.... you dn't start a new character and redo all the content... one character is every class and you hve to level up classes to use cross class abilities.   At some point, you will run out of quests and have to do other things....

Such as....

Guildhests

Leves

Dungeons

Fates

(other things we don't know about at this point).

It's a good balance between casual and hardcore....those with more time/dedication will have a harder time maxing many classes, whereas people happy with a single class can get to end game relatively quickly.

• arslesmetenarslesmeten Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by ZizouX

It's a good balance between casual and hardcore....those with more time/dedication will have a harder time maxing many classes, whereas people happy with a single class can get to end game relatively quickly.

You may have a point here but I'm not sure I like that levling classes beyond the first will take longer .. After seeing most of the content on the first playthrough I'd probably rather have the second and third to be faster tbh.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by arslesmeten

You may have a point here but I'm not sure I like that levling classes beyond the first will take longer .. After seeing most of the content on the first playthrough I'd probably rather have the second and third to be faster tbh.

That's the point... you can't get to see the same content second and third time around.... Once you finish all the quests in Gridania area... they re forever gone.  For your second class, you'll have to go to Limsa.  For your third, do the quests in UIdah... however, those quests are enough for lvl 35... 

From lvl 35+ the other zones are shared, meaning you finished those quests for your first 50...   from 35+ on your second and third classes, you have to do dungeons, Fates, or any other content we do not know about.

For your 4th class, you will not have any quests to do, unless you consciously saved quests and grinding with your previous three classes.   I hve a feeling there will be plenty of content added to make leveling have variety....

It's far better than other games where you do the SAME quests EVERY SINGLE TIME....  

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Your first class to 50 will be fast. The quests make it that way... however, your second or third class will be slower because you can't re-do the quests.

This isn't like other mmos.... you dn't start a new character and redo all the content... one character is every class and you hve to level up classes to use cross class abilities.   At some point, you will run out of quests and have to do other things....

Such as....

Guildhests

Leves

Dungeons

Fates

(other things we don't know about at this point).

This is good to know.image

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    mmorpgs are about the community not the content. i hope this is a game that lasts me several years like FFXI, not a few months. only way to do that is to be build the game around the concept of a virtual world, not a virtual themepark like all the casual console kiddies are used to nowadays,

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Why should your play experience affect mine? If I want to level grind my character to max within 48 hours thats my choice.

You said two or three days thats still 48-72 hours. That's a lot of game time. Why should it take me months to get to the end game? If it takes too long people might go play something else and not even bother.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    NDA is in place and the Beta shouldnt be discussed.
  • Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    mmorpgs are about the community not the content. i hope this is a game that lasts me several years like FFXI, not a few months. only way to do that is to be build the game around the concept of a virtual world, not a virtual themepark like all the casual console kiddies are used to nowadays,

Of course they're about content. If they weren't we could as well play a random 3D chat like Second Life (and even that has some kind of content)

If the content sucks, nobody is gonna have fun in the game and will leave before any community comes into play.

Every MMO game has a community. Some better, some worse, but as long as we dont go into extremes, with a bit of search you can find a friendly bunch of people almost anywhere.

But not every game has great content and thats mostly what separates the good from the bad.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    I for one hope the lvling will be slowed down a bit on release especially after say the first class to max lvl. Final Fantasy had always been the lvling, the grinding, the journey one took to get to max level. Because back in the days!! delvling keep those that really suck away from end game or ever reaching max lvl. People actual pay attention to what they had to do!!! whether its sneaking around to a leveling spot or watching out for links. I honestly wished the lost of experience would make it back but unfortunately not. (Too many cry babies) I guess most players dont realize how great losing experience than gold is!! Its like raiding, and you QQ about the shitty players. Well shitty players wont hit endgame!!! But mmos now, even my little 7yr old could face roll to max lvl. Hopefully the journey to endgame/max lvl for FFXIV isnt easy. I mean we are trying to save the damn world! That cant be easy can it!!?

considering you run out of quest after the first class or close to it it slows down

wonder if i broke nda na im just basing this from what i understand

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Keitaro333

Of course they're about content. If they weren't we could as well play a random 3D chat like Second Life (and even that has some kind of content)

If the content sucks, nobody is gonna have fun in the game and will leave before any community comes into play.

Every MMO game has a community. Some better, some worse, but as long as we dont go into extremes, with a bit of search you can find a friendly bunch of people almost anywhere.

But not every game has great content and thats mostly what separates the good from the bad.

community does not mean a small friendly group of people to play with. community is how the playerbase interacts with one another as a whole. people thrive on human interaction and being able to compare themselves with one another so that they can set goals for themselves which allows them to keep interest in the game. wars between factions, competition between players and guilds, and self recognition is what keeps players playing the game. if you run a game solely on content without fostering the community it will crash and burn because once they get thru the content they will get bored and leave. mmorpgs should be treated as an ongoing service not a single player console game one time experience. as history has shown, it is currently impossible for games to generate enough new developer-made content for your average semi-hardcore mmo player to last more than a month or two. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Personally im excited for this title, I love Final Fantasy just saying.
  • Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36

community does not mean a small friendly group of people to play with. community is how the playerbase interacts with one another as a whole. people thrive on human interaction and being able to compare themselves with one another so that they can set goals for themselves which allows them to keep interest in the game. wars between factions, competition between players and guilds, and self recognition is what keeps players playing the game. if you run a game solely on content without fostering the community it will crash and burn because once they get thru the content they will get bored and leave. mmorpgs should be treated as an ongoing service not a single player console game one time experience. as history has shown, it is currently impossible for games to generate enough new developer-made content for your average semi-hardcore mmo player to last more than a month or two. 

Well, a large part of what you describe as community i'd call content or at least heavily dependant on content. The devs have to make the features like wars between factions fun and balanced, make the character development, raids and gear interesting - content that the players would want to be competitve about. Its the quality of the game that allows a good community to be created and maintained.

Now if we're talking late endgame, of course i agree that its impossible to make more than a few months of content. That being said, i cant really tell what keeps the players playing after theyve done everything they could since those few months is usually the longest i play one game precisely because of that. If there isnt anything to do besides grinding dailies and doing the same 3 dungeons for the 100th time, a community cant save that for me.

The pvp of course helps alot with this for many people but i dont think that'll be as much of a case with FFXIV since there will only be battleground type pvp. (and i have a feeling it wont be that great but we'll see)

Basically, all of these things first require a good game design in order for the community to be lasting. I dont really see why anyone would play a badly made, boring game solely for the community. Well i do but i'd say that would be a small minority of people.

• chumsy84chumsy84 Member Posts: 7
    FFXI it was horribly slow, unless you had like 5 black mage group or whatever, havent played it in many years, so this is just based off the first expansion. And that leveling down bull was annoying. just give durability penatly on items, or loss of gold.
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    When the most exciting/interesting part of playing one is "getting to the end game", it's failed as a MMORPG.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    When the most exciting/interesting part of playing one is "getting to the end game", it's failed as a MMORPG.

Is it wrong to have something to look forward to besides leveling all your classes?

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Is it wrong to have something to look forward to besides leveling all your classes?

A sussessful game makes the journey more exciting than the destination. But gamers these days just dont understand that, and blow through everything as fast as possible and wonder why they are not having any fun.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by birdycephon

A sussessful game makes the journey more exciting than the destination. But gamers these days just dont understand that, and blow through everything as fast as possible and wonder why they are not having any fun.

What MMO does this?

Not WoW, not FFXI, not any MMO I have ever played have I thought to myself man... leveling was the apex of my experience with this game.  In fact if I played a game where leveling was the height of the experience I would surely discount as terrible, and unsubscribe as soon as I came to thie realization that

This is it... it doesn't get any better than this I have nothing to look forward to with this character I have invested so much in.  If it wasn't for the promise of certain endgame activities I doubt many of FFXI's long term subscribers would have even made it to 75 on one job..

Why would anyone subscribe monthly to an MMO like that, one that had leveling as its primary selling point?  They wouldn't.

One game in recent history tried this, FFXIV 1.0 launched with a primary focus on guildleves and leveling your classes.  There was really nothing else to do on launch, it had all sorts of featuers (fatigue, original xp system) that were intended to make "the journey" last.  As I remember this design direction was not widely celebrated by the game's playerbase. and soon after the director, Tanaka, was removed from his position and replaced with the current director.  Who immediately went about brining content to the game, content which recieved more detail, challenge, and certainly a sense of accomplishment far beyond anything in the leveling process.

People practically universally consider this a positive change.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

As much as I hate to say it super slow leveling would kill this game, as the multiclass system allows you to play many roles people will be expecting you to have them available. It's one of the major turnoffs for me. If I only enjoy archer then the group is just going to favor people willing to switch to healer or tank on demand forcing me to adapt or die. in which case I rather just play another game.

That said the game is looking promising, which I didn't expect in the least.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

As much as I hate to say it super slow leveling would kill this game, as the multiclass system allows you to play many roles people will be expecting you to have them available. It's one of the major turnoffs for me. If I only enjoy archer then the group is just going to favor people willing to switch to healer or tank on demand forcing me to adapt or die. in which case I rather just play another game.

That said the game is looking promising, which I didn't expect in the least.

People are not equally skilled at all roles, availability aside.

If you are being forced into a certain role that you do not like, it is likely you would not have otherwise gotten an invite to that party and maybe you should seek another one where your role is needed.

If you use the dungeon finder matching this would be a non-issue, though having played FF-mmo's with such a system for the better part of a decade I've never felt I had to adapt or die and abandon my preferred role in parties.  You have a main job that you focus on, and excel at this is the job you should join parties as.  Being able to level and play as other roles merely gives you more options in the roles you can play/  Some roles may be more needed in certain situations, but that is the nature of grouping in any RPG..

• chumsy84chumsy84 Member Posts: 7
    keep it at an average of a level per hour, keep difficulty high, and youll have a solid game. too many games, are too easy and thats the reason why everyone blasts through all the content within a month and find themselves with nothing to do. Challenging content is what makes for a long lasting and fun game. This doesnt mean increase the time it takes to level, thats not fun nor challenging, thats just tedious and boring.
  • ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Murugan

What MMO does this?

Not WoW, not FFXI, not any MMO I have ever played have I thought to myself man... leveling was the apex of my experience with this game.  In fact if I played a game where leveling was the height of the experience I would surely discount as terrible, and unsubscribe as soon as I came to thie realization that

This is it... it doesn't get any better than this I have nothing to look forward to with this character I have invested so much in.  If it wasn't for the promise of certain endgame activities I doubt many of FFXI's long term subscribers would have even made it to 75 on one job..

Why would anyone subscribe monthly to an MMO like that, one that had leveling as its primary selling point?  They wouldn't.

One game in recent history tried this, FFXIV 1.0 launched with a primary focus on guildleves and leveling your classes.  There was really nothing else to do on launch, it had all sorts of featuers (fatigue, original xp system) that were intended to make "the journey" last.  As I remember this design direction was not widely celebrated by the game's playerbase. and soon after the director, Tanaka, was removed from his position and replaced with the current director.  Who immediately went about brining content to the game, content which recieved more detail, challenge, and certainly a sense of accomplishment far beyond anything in the leveling process.

And that's what is called opinion I'm the other side of the coin. I play games for it's story not it's end game grind be it pvp or pve grind I don't care either way I play the game for the leveling and leveling goal's.

• ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by ScriptZ
    Originally posted by Murugan

What MMO does this?

And that's what is called opinion I'm the other side of the coin. I play games for it's story not it's end game grind be it pvp or pve grind I don't care either way I play the game for the leveling and leveling goal's.

I'm looking forward to the story, and adventure. riding my chocobo and seeing the worlds. I'll probably take my time, and I'm going to play my way, and that's all that matters to me. I hope to meet some nice fellow adventurers once this all gets started for everybody. I guess it kind of doesn't matter to me how the xp is distributed, i am not one of those folks who rush to the end lv. But I sure hope the game is well made and is FUN.