Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old player giving a review

I wasted my time a lot on this game only to find it getting worse, played it for 2 years and not many good things have come from it, thye rarely touched bugs, only implemented new features and spent time doing graphics, to them making money and graphics>game balance.

It used to be a good game that they cared about, but when they got german servers (aka customers)  who probably asked them to fix some stuff and do something with the game they acted like slaves and ruined their own game.

You can get banned on their forum for the siliest reasons

the grind SUCKS so much, getting to max level is a bore and rvr will quickly fall out for this game.

The game changed from being about skill to being about items and luck, so if you like haggling and trading items, and grinding feel free to play

The best times I had in the game was hunting in other realms with some friends and clanmates, it was fun and intense to go around and find skirmishes, it will be hard to find a good review because either it's a fanboy, a guy who just started playing the game (all games are mostly fun at first) or a ragequitter who will talk as much dirt about the game as possible

so my advice if you wanna play this game is ask yourself if you think you have the time, because you're gonna spend a lot of it grinding if you don't want to pay that is.

Comments

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Yup, can't agree more.

Played this way back when and have played on and off since.  Cannot say it has improved and the community has gone downhill as well.

At the mo, Barbs are lolstomping everyone and it seems that they have nerfed and buffed the crud out of everything so much that they no longer have any idea as to where they are at. 

The grind is up there with the best and the introduction of the new race has somewhat destroyed the mythos of the world and its atmosphere. 

A new race isn't bad for any game but adding a deformed rat to a world such as Regnum where it doesn't scan is just naff.

It just seems to have changed from a small company with the passion to create something fun to a business with the intent of putting profit over player experience and fun.

I got invited back the other day with the offer of a Bear mount.  I just can't find the incentive to return.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

i've been playing thi game for about 2 years now and still enjoy it very much.

it's not perfect. but its f2p, the item shop does NOT let you buy your way to winning, and the gfx are simple and the pvp works well. some observations :-

1) sometimes the Realms become imbalanced with too many players in one realm. But over time it seems ot balance itself out. the developers are also looking at ways to make it more even.

2) this game is for those who enjoy RvR open pvp and who do not mind dyig a lot. If you don't die a lot you won't see how all the ways people try to win. And it is just for fun. Noone takes dying seriously. it happens.

3) Barbs are very powerful. When Regnum was made barbs were meant to be the class which can run around and stomp kill everyone fast. But they are also very easy to kill and soft shelled. The combat system in Regnum is actually created by players because NGD listened hard to the players.

4) For the past year there has been a focus on gfx updates. Because the developer NGD is quite small (3 member team?) they plan to fix other matters after gfx is fixed (gfx updates just finished i think).

Regnum is not a perfect game. But its cheaper than GW2 , has lower graphic specs than Aika Online (both Aika and GW2 are open RvR) and is smooth fast and responsive. Regnum is meant for players who like killing other players, and who do not mind dying,

Oh, here is a thread posted on regnum official forums during Oct 2012 i think, by the developer Chilko providing an update on how they are developing the game :-

http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/forum/showthread.php?t=93028&page=2

• HeavyBadassHeavyBadass Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by ringdany

i've been playing thi game for about 2 years now and still enjoy it very much.

it's not perfect. but its f2p, the item shop does NOT let you buy your way to winning, and the gfx are simple and the pvp works well. some observations :-

1) sometimes the Realms become imbalanced with too many players in one realm. But over time it seems ot balance itself out. the developers are also looking at ways to make it more even.

2) this game is for those who enjoy RvR open pvp and who do not mind dyig a lot. If you don't die a lot you won't see how all the ways people try to win. And it is just for fun. Noone takes dying seriously. it happens.

3) Barbs are very powerful. When Regnum was made barbs were meant to be the class which can run around and stomp kill everyone fast. But they are also very easy to kill and soft shelled. The combat system in Regnum is actually created by players because NGD listened hard to the players.

4) For the past year there has been a focus on gfx updates. Because the developer NGD is quite small (3 member team?) they plan to fix other matters after gfx is fixed (gfx updates just finished i think).

Regnum is not a perfect game. But its cheaper than GW2 , has lower graphic specs than Aika Online (both Aika and GW2 are open RvR) and is smooth fast and responsive. Regnum is meant for players who like killing other players, and who do not mind dying,

Oh, here is a thread posted on regnum official forums during Oct 2012 i think, by the developer Chilko providing an update on how they are developing the game :-

http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/forum/showthread.php?t=93028&page=2

you are wrong, you DO buy your way to winning in this game unless you want to spend hours and hours grinding for money or equipment (if you are even lucky enough to get the gear you need)

1. it doesn't balance itself out, and unless the developers can earn money on it they will not lift a finger

2. rvr was fun, for a while, but it becomes dull and boring over time, it's not a lot about skill, more about who has the most players and who's the luckiest

3. NGD became greedy which the game reflected, as it is focusing more on graphics than on actual balance.

Don't try to give people a wrong illusion of the game please, be fair and warn them that they have to spend a buttload of time to be able to enjoy the rvr, the game lacks too much and has gone downhill since it came out of beta

Originally posted by HeavyBadass
    you are wrong, you DO buy your way to winning in this game unless you want to spend hours and hours grinding for money or equipment (if you are even lucky enough to get the gear you need)

1. it doesn't balance itself out, and unless the developers can earn money on it they will not lift a finger

2. rvr was fun, for a while, but it becomes dull and boring over time, it's not a lot about skill, more about who has the most players and who's the luckiest

3. NGD became greedy which the game reflected, as it is focusing more on graphics than on actual balance.

Don't try to give people a wrong illusion of the game please, be fair and warn them that they have to spend a buttload of time to be able to enjoy the rvr, the game lacks too much and has gone downhill since it came out of beta

i think whether it is pay to win is a matter of personal opinion. i do find voices on both sides, but on the web, the majority seem to say that relative to obviously pay to win titles like Allods, that CoR is less pay to win than most.

1. I like to think it balances itself out but you are right,  sometimes it just doesnt seem to. However, I did say that CoR is not a perfect game and like GW2, continues to work to iron out its difficulties. 

2. I still enjoy the RvR and a lot of loyal players still do. In fact, i hear the clan Pack of Bastards who played 1 year ago on Raven server is coming back to CoR after trying GW2.

3. I suspect NGD had no choice on the gfx issue. Relative to the industry average, CoR's gfx are extremely rudimentary (tho i like them this way). It was the best bang for buck that NGD felt they could get. CoR is a commercial enterprise and since I dont own it, this type of decision is NGDs. Players who do not like it are entitled to depart.

Actually, I feel I am legitimately enthusiastic about the game. Time and again I have asked critics to point out a comparable RvR F2P game and they can't. DAOC Uthgardt server still has crafting. Aion and Aika are graphically and leadership-wise a different game. GW2's skills do not seem to hav the depth of CoR. I would encourage you to list other games - i generally can explain why i prefer CoR over them.

So while I am enthusiastic, many of my opinions note that CoR is not a perfvect game. I would be the last person to say no improvment is needed. But. I would also be the last to put down NGD's efforts to make a game which they themselves enjoy pplaying and which is profitable for them. (btw, I also feel they spend to much on gfx).

I haven't tried most other f2p mmo out there because most of them scares me away because of the benefits paying users get, but ngd has showed time and again that they shit on the non paying players as well.

I don't know if you played at that time the fatique system was made but it was so ridiculous, making the grinding even more unbearable, however if you bought xp boosts fatique would be removed, they claimed however it was to help the user not play that much, nobody was of course stupid enough to believe this. when players figured a way around it by staying at a place where high lvl mobs spawn often and just group xpin' up since that wasn't affected by fatique as well, they nerfed that as well.

they have shown time and time again that balance means squad to them as long as they earn their money, if they started tightening the budget a bit and focused on making the game enjoyable and made it more bearable to level the money and players would come by themselves.

They improved the graphics when the balance system of the game was a MESS to attract new players to pay for their game, they actually wanted to trick people from their money by showing them a half assed game with good graphics but boring grinding. graphics is what's going to keep you entertained for 10 minutes but most new players stop playing it because they simply figure out there are not enough quests and they have to slay mobs for a long time, the sad thing is the "loyal players" (or fanbois) insult people because they don't want to play a boring game, right now I play Tera online on a pvp server where levelling up is actually fun, there's always quests and it doesn't take forever to level up because the quests and xp from mobs scale very well. The combat system is fun and is not target->use skill, everything is skillshots and you cannot sit back and just grind like you do in regnum, the difference between slaying mobs fast or not is your skill, and pvp is just so much more rewarding, idc that it isn't rvr like regnum, I can do without it if this is what I have to do, tera isn't perfect either and i feel like it could probably use improvements in terms of end game features but besides that, so far the game is fun and not repetitive.

i think i agree with a lot of what you are saying and i suspect it is just differences of personal opinion.

i wasnt around when they did a fatigue system ( i dont see any fatugue system now) but if they did it like how you described i would leave too.

Actually by coincidence i came back here to see if you had responded because i wanted to ask you about Tera and its grind. Some players still seem to regard Tera as super grindy 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379410/Still-an-Insane-Grindfest.html

so i am not sure if i am going ot give Tera a try. Maybe one day i will. You were saying Tera had really good combat? You could be right because like you said CoR you can just cycle your attacks and grind PvE but it sounds like in Tera you can't do that. I'm not sure if that appeals to me yet but i can see how it could make grinding less of a chore. (actually at the moment i like that hte grind in CoR is repetitive because i tend to chat at the same time, or listen to music or whatever)

i think i agree with a lot of what you are saying and i suspect it is just differences of personal opinion.

i wasnt around when they did a fatigue system ( i dont see any fatugue system now) but if they did it like how you described i would leave too.

thank you, I love that you can go in a discussion with an open mind, sorry if I seem a bit of a douche bag with negative energy, I just want to make sure players know what they go into before they waste their time as it seems promising and rvr WAS fun, I left after they changed sultars terror (I think that's what it's called) to having a % effect on being knocked down or not which ended up giving chance a much bigger influence in fights and less skil resulting in the team with more players having a better chance than before which wasn't very good for alsius (are they still underpopulated) I loved that they worked so greatly with each other despite being in different clans and such, they had a really strong realm bond and it seems like syrtis (where I played) got all the players you just want to kick in the balls, and it wasn't fair for alsius that they made these kind of changes. I would love to see a rebalance in their skillset which really kicked noobs in the balls and valued player skill over chance and luck.

I can also understand you like the game but knowing how it was before and how it is now also has an influence in opinion since it's hard to hate something when you just got to know it because you haven't experienced how great it was before, I just wish they would realize how they raped their game and started fixing it even though I can understand they won't throw hours of work in the trash since it costs them money, I can understand that but imo it's a risk they should do to increase their playerbase, fix bugs, add features, fix balance, grinding and add fun, once I threw them a suggestion that mobs would sometimes gather and attack the cities, the level of the mobs would vary depending on the players around the city to balance having a chance, this would add fun to lower level grinding. I don't know if you play rvr yet but I hope you enjoy it :)

about this

Actually by coincidence i came back here to see if you had responded because i wanted to ask you about Tera and its grind. Some players still seem to regard Tera as super grindy 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379410/Still-an-Insane-Grindfest.html

so i am not sure if i am going ot give Tera a try. Maybe one day i will. You were saying Tera had really good combat? You could be right because like you said CoR you can just cycle your attacks and grind PvE but it sounds like in Tera you can't do that. I'm not sure if that appeals to me yet but i can see how it could make grinding less of a chore. (actually at the moment i like that hte grind in CoR is repetitive because i tend to chat at the same time, or listen to music or whatever)

I would prefer the game gave one entertainment instead :p.

I can't answer about high level grinding because I'm not max level yet, I should stop writing on forums and play instead haha :D,

But to answer your question the best way I can, is that I don't think it's grindy at all, I don't even have a million xp yet for next level I think and I sometimes get 100k+ xp from quests and I even had to skip an area because I leveled too fast so in order to get more xp from quests and follow the main quest I just went to this area to do the main quest so I could continue with it (it has a really good story with cutscenes as well imo.) Also I don't think you can call pvp a grind since you actually have to have fun to get your stuff :)

Some people in that thread hates the combat system and says it sucks, maybe because they don't like missing skills because of positionning I don't know, but imo I fucking love it, normally I hate pve I hate fighting mobs and prefer to fight players (I still do) but I actually enjoy the pve in tera because it's different, and you can chose either to grind the mobs for quests casually or aggro a group of them and then use strategy and skill to defeat them which is quite fun, even basic attacks are skillshots, when I swing my sword as a slayer - a barbarian type of class, what you would call a barb in regnum :) - everyone it hits graphically will take damage, you also have to beat something called bams (big ass monsters) where it's totally up to you if you can defeat them or not as as a single man, if you read them wrong you will die, however if you fight sucessfully (takes around 4-5m to defeat one on your own) it grants you a massive amount of xp and usually good loot.

I can say that I could defeat the earlier bams but when I came against the fimbrillisks I made too many mistakes and misread it's attacks so I had to accept that I wasn't good enough to kill it on my own and teamed up with a priest to kill it. Here's some footage of slayer vs a bam watched 1m and she does a good job dodging it's attacks and such.

If you decide to play or try it out I'm called fectodux on the ishara pvp server (I think ishara is it's name.) You'll be welcome in our guild if you wish.

I hope this helps :)

[quote] Originally posted by HeavyBadass

thank you, I love that you can go in a discussion with an open mind, sorry if I seem a bit of a douche bag with negative energy, I just want to make sure players know what they go into before they waste their time as it seems promising and rvr WAS fun, I left after they changed sultars terror (I think that's what it's called) to having a % effect on being knocked down or not which ended up giving chance a much bigger influence in fights and less skil resulting in the team with more players having a better chance than before which wasn't very good for alsius (are they still underpopulated) I loved that they worked so greatly with each other despite being in different clans and such, they had a really strong realm bond and it seems like syrtis (where I played) got all the players you just want to kick in the balls, and it wasn't fair for alsius that they made these kind of changes. I would love to see a rebalance in their skillset which really kicked noobs in the balls and valued player skill over chance and luck. I can also understand you like the game but knowing how it was before and how it is now also has an influence in opinion since it's hard to hate something when you just got to know it because you haven't experienced how great it was before, I just wish they would realize how they raped their game and started fixing it even though I can understand they won't throw hours of work in the trash since it costs them money, I can understand that but imo it's a risk they should do to increase their playerbase, fix bugs, add features, fix balance, grinding and add fun, once I threw them a suggestion that mobs would sometimes gather and attack the cities, the level of the mobs would vary depending on the players around the city to balance having a chance, this would add fun to lower level grinding. I don't know if you play rvr yet but I hope you enjoy it :)

it's ok, i think i understand. when i played neverwinter nights, sometimes i would play a pvp mod and really enjoy it and then the devs would go and change it to suit their friends, even though i suggested not to. By doign so, they alienated most of their players and many of these fun servers shut down. So, I understand that games evolve and its really heartbreaking when my favourite mod goes a different direction :( Also I sometimes became good at the pvp, and had a strong understanding of the combat system, and I was totally comfused why no one else understood it. It was clear as crystal to me how everything worked and how valance worked.

It took me about 3 years to finally understand people have their own (perverted) way of thinking about pvp. To this day, I do not understand why barabarians shud be able to 1 or 2 hit kill mages. I have yet to find a pvp server which strikes an even balance between mages and melee, everything is so melee biased to me. * sigh * But... i just learned to (sadly?) live with it. Thing is, I cant change how these people do pvp balance, unless i do my own game. So i just tolerate it but keep an eye out for a better game!

I would prefer the game gave one entertainment instead :p. I can't answer about high level grinding because I'm not max level yet, I should stop writing on forums and play instead haha :D, But to answer your question the best way I can, is that I don't think it's grindy at all, I don't even have a million xp yet for next level I think and I sometimes get 100k+ xp from quests and I even had to skip an area because I leveled too fast so in order to get more xp from quests and follow the main quest I just went to this area to do the main quest so I could continue with it (it has a really good story with cutscenes as well imo.) Also I don't think you can call pvp a grind since you actually have to have fun to get your stuff :) Some people in that thread hates the combat system and says it sucks, maybe because they don't like missing skills because of positionning I don't know, but imo I fucking love it, normally I hate pve I hate fighting mobs and prefer to fight players (I still do) but I actually enjoy the pve in tera because it's different, and you can chose either to grind the mobs for quests casually or aggro a group of them and then use strategy and skill to defeat them which is quite fun, even basic attacks are skillshots, when I swing my sword as a slayer - a barbarian type of class, what you would call a barb in regnum :) - everyone it hits graphically will take damage, you also have to beat something called bams (big ass monsters) where it's totally up to you if you can defeat them or not as as a single man, if you read them wrong you will die, however if you fight sucessfully (takes around 4-5m to defeat one on your own) it grants you a massive amount of xp and usually good loot. I can say that I could defeat the earlier bams but when I came against the fimbrillisks I made too many mistakes and misread it's attacks so I had to accept that I wasn't good enough to kill it on my own and teamed up with a priest to kill it. Here's some footage of slayer vs a bam watched 1m and she does a good job dodging it's attacks and such. If you decide to play or try it out I'm called fectodux on the ishara pvp server (I think ishara is it's name.) You'll be welcome in our guild if you wish. I hope this helps :)

this is amuch better answer than i see on other forums. most answers just say its grindy and i wonder "why? how?" but your answer shows how to play the game and what bits you enjoy. so definitely i will keep an eye out Tera to consider trying - the video looks a lot like Monster Hunter to me! So that's pretty exciting cos I saw Monster Hunter last week and i like it.

Your description also reminds me that when I left neverwinter pvp behind, I was hoping that all the spells and skill combos would one day be like mortal kombat - just like Tera ! so yea, i hope to try Tera soon. Not quite sure when yet, but thanks for the great heads up ! definitely a genre and game ot watch carefully.

( one reason i am not ready to try Tera quite yet is because, actually im really crap at mortal kombat action games, tho i still enjoy them..... o.o edit: i just checked the system specs for Tera and realised i dont have the 30 gig HDD space yet, my 200 gig HDD is packed with games and movies.  )

it's ok, i think i understand. when i played neverwinter nights, sometimes i would play a pvp mod and really enjoy it and then the devs would go and change it to suit their friends, even though i suggested not to. By doign so, they alienated most of their players and many of these fun servers shut down. So, I understand that games evolve and its really heartbreaking when my favourite mod goes a different direction :( Also I sometimes became good at the pvp, and had a strong understanding of the combat system, and I was totally comfused why no one else understood it. It was clear as crystal to me how everything worked and how valance worked.

It took me about 3 years to finally understand people have their own (perverted) way of thinking about pvp. To this day, I do not understand why barabarians shud be able to 1 or 2 hit kill mages. I have yet to find a pvp server which strikes an even balance between mages and melee, everything is so melee biased to me. * sigh * But... i just learned to (sadly?) live with it. Thing is, I cant change how these people do pvp balance, unless i do my own game. So i just tolerate it but keep an eye out for a better game!

maybe something like that, I just wanted the game to be fun and stuff and eventually I kept it out keeping up my hopes that they would improve their game, but it's rare they did a good update, so in the end I just thought I'm not gonna waste my time anymore because it's just gonna get worse, it's like they try to squeeze more money out of players than trying to make it fun and attractive, when they announced mob spells people complained as well, they are imo ruining the chance for new players to stick it out till end game which apparantly doesn't seem to be in the mages favor as far as I've understood, and iirc mages are the hardest to level.

this is amuch better answer than i see on other forums. most answers just say its grindy and i wonder "why? how?" but your answer shows how to play the game and what bits you enjoy. so definitely i will keep an eye out Tera to consider trying - the video looks a lot like Monster Hunter to me! So that's pretty exciting cos I saw Monster Hunter last week and i like it.

Your description also reminds me that when I left neverwinter pvp behind, I was hoping that all the spells and skill combos would one day be like mortal kombat - just like Tera ! so yea, i hope to try Tera soon. Not quite sure when yet, but thanks for the great heads up ! definitely a genre and game ot watch carefully.

( one reason i am not ready to try Tera quite yet is because, actually im really crap at mortal kombat action games, tho i still enjoy them..... o.o edit: i just checked the system specs for Tera and realised i dont have the 30 gig HDD space yet, my 200 gig HDD is packed with games and movies. )

I have yet to see why they would call it grindy, quests gives a decent amount of xp (24k xp for a talking quest my level with xp just above 1mil) and my main quest just rewarded me 240k, so if you like playing with skill above all I'd suggest this, I play on the ishara server and I sent you a pm with my email :)