Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They need to get rid of high sec

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Seriously it's ruining the game, people get used to it while learning the game, grow attached to their characters and never leave high sec. They them become bored and blame everything on taking too much time to train or they're too scared to lose their stuff. CCP need to throw players in at the deep end, stop holding their hand and just make people PVP from the get go so they get used to dying. Really that is the problem of EVE, people just aren't used to dying, they get too attached to their gear. Dayz has proved that this approach of throwing you into this hostile world works, all EVE has done is proved high sec doesn't work. It doesn't mean the game will turn into chaos either as you will get alliances who will allow friendly players and they'll act as the police in their own areas. All it means is finally players have control of the whole game and new players will die again and agian and again and become used to it and not fear PVP.

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by tixylix

Seriously it's ruining the game, people get used to it while learning the game, grow attached to their characters and never leave high sec. They them become bored and blame everything on taking too much time to train or they're too scared to lose their stuff. CCP need to throw players in at the deep end, stop holding their hand and just make people PVP from the get go so they get used to dying. Really that is the problem of EVE, people just aren't used to dying, they get too attached to their gear. Dayz has proved that this approach of throwing you into this hostile world works, all EVE has done is proved high sec doesn't work. It doesn't mean the game will turn into chaos either as you will get alliances who will allow friendly players and they'll act as the police in their own areas. All it means is finally players have control of the whole game and new players will die again and agian and again and become used to it and not fear PVP.

Some people rather not be used as a sock you can dump all your rage into. The security system is one of the reasons I believe EVE has such a healthy population. It allows people to learn at their own pace and take their time. It may be ruining the game for you but it's apparently working for a lot of others or they wouldn't be there.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Or you can not be a scared homie and attack people in High Sec.

Oh that's right, you just wanted to abuse newbies, lol.

Nothing to see here move along.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

EvE is the ONLY full loot sandbox mmo that has actually managed to grow in numbers year after year, instead of crash and burn like 98% of all others.

now you sit here and try to explain how their core system "doesn't work"? You, my friend are one presumptuous dim witted fool.  

the high sec/low sec system is by far the best sytem every implemented in any full loot game as EvE subscriber's numbers clearly show. there is simply no better system which allowes pve and pvp to co exists AND interact on the same server so smoothly and with so much balance and fairness. please just go slap yourself in front of a mirror for a few hours. 

Dayz is capped at 50 players per server and you will NEVER have 100+ people with Battle Cruisers camping a nube station just for shit and giggles. Not to mention that anything you lose in Dayz you can find again in a few hours if you know where to look. Worst comparison ever.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

EvE is the ONLY full loot sandbox mmo that has actually managed to grow in numbers year after year, instead of crash and burn like 98% of all others.

now you sit here and try to explain how their core system "doesn't work"? You, my friend are one presumptuous dim witted fool.  

the high sec/low sec system is by far the best sytem every implemented in any full loot game as EvE subscriber's numbers clearly show. there is simply no better system which allowes pve and pvp to co exists AND interact on the same server so smoothly and with so much balance and fairness. please just go slap yourself in front of a mirror for a few hours. 

Dayz is capped at 50 players per server and you will NEVER have 100+ people with Battle Cruisers camping a nube station just for shit and giggles.

If it's not broken, __________ fix it.......

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Exactly.

Not the mention that High Sec doesn't stop attacks - it just means that you will get killed afterwards.

It is the OP's own chicken-shattedness that stopped him from attacking ppl in High Sec OR attacking veterans in Low Sec, not the game. lol.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly, ccp know exactly what they are doing, op you are applying arguements to fit your transient idea of fun (I'm assuming you have played eve for a while - with high sec ofc). Oh btw I'm primarily a pve player and I'm quite happy with high sec, and I sub obviously. Horses for courses - maybe we should demand an end to Gate camping, that's not pvp - see how easy of is to argue for things you desire. Enjoy the game and be thankful ccp have integrity and guts to stand by their vision.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

EVE is a persistant universe with character progression that has Full PvP and Loot, with a security system that allows people to feel a little safer than they do in gankfest PvP games and as a result it's population is growing steadily. As your character grows you gain skills and acquire ships, modules, cash and other goodies. Death can lose you some items but worse yet if an expensive ships is lost, or if you forget to upgrade your clone and lose skills. Death has serious consequences, which is why more and more people use frigates and cruisers to PvP. It's less expensive that way.

DayZ is an FPS game and the mentality behind FPS games is completly different. People EXPECT to die and your character is disposable. There is no character progression, apart from a few items you happen to pick up along the way. It has no levels, no skill system like an MMO does. Death means you just lose some shit you picked up. No biggie, start over.

Why do people continue to compare an FPS game with an MMO? They are completely different. DayZ proves that FPS gamers want more than 10 minute maps and nothing more.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Hi Sec is fine as it is. Security ratings are mostly fine as they are. If anything I would wish for more solar systems to include an expansion of low sec and WH space. If you want more people working together then kill multi-boxing so they have to learn to work together and trust one another even for cyno jumps and exploration.
  • krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

tranlsation: people don't play the way I like them to so CCP must force them.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Op, you do realize that 70% of player time is spent in high sec right? Your suggestion seems like a terrible idea.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by kreken

tranlsation: people don't play the way I like them to so ____ must force them.

You've just summed up 100% of MMORPG.com arguements.

That's basically what everyone wants, something that matches their idea of a perfect game, and everyone else forced to play it with them.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Op, you do realize that 70% of player time is spent in high sec right? Your suggestion seems like a terrible idea.

If 70% of the players were all flying one kind of ship, that would be a pretty good argument for nerfing it...

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I always thought Eve's structure is about the best we have ever seen for a full loot pvp game. The fact that you can learn at your own pace in relative safety and pvp is kind of optional, but not with some arbitrary flagging system, rather with a more natural and comfortable concept designed on where you choose to go. I am surprised no other game has really copied this because it is very inclusive of different levels and desires of all players and pvpers.

Personally I am not much of a pvper and avoid full loot games as I don't have a lot of gaming time. But I played Eve for several years because it allowed me to take the risks I wanted to take, not be forced into risk.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

If 70% of the players were all flying one kind of ship, that would be a pretty good argument for nerfing it...

So by that logic, if 70% of the population in an MMO spend their time doing raids or dungeons then you should get rid of those too? Or if 70% of the population spend their time crafting, well then let's bin that too? Oh here's a good one, what if 70% of the population only ever spend time doing PvP? You want to nerf that as well?

There's a difference between the use of an OP item and spending time in a location or style of gameplay.

The simple fact is this: you need those players in Empire space because the vast majority of the game's economy is generated by those players, most of the manufactured goods comes from those players, and most importantly, most of the subs that keep the game up and running comes from those players. Force them out and the game will wither and die, like MO or DF or any other FFA PvP Full Loot MMO that has no limitations or safeguards against rampant ganking.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Suprisingly Consentual PvP is the preferred playstyle in a Forced PvP game.  Whodathunkit!

If anything this should give credence that a sandbox PvE only game could work and do well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Go play Dust or PS2... those games are full pvp
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The OP also kind of ignored the fact that in addition to being able to attack others in high sec, and get killed by Concord (suicide gank)  you can also War Dec a high sec target corp and attack them legitimately, without worrying about getting concorded. PVP is everywhere in Eve, consensual or otherwise, truth is, the OP just isnt knowledgeable about Eve, maybe the learning curve was just a bit too steep for him image
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Get rid of High Sec?  I cannot find the link but 3 years ago when I first joined I read that CCP had determined that almost half of the Eve population stayed in High Sec space. Yup, I am one of them. I stay in 0.5 space and above. Eliminate High Sec and a good proportion of the Eve population will quit. I will. Eve is a great game but I do not like getting ganked.

Actually, getting rid of High Sec IS a good idea as it will kill Eve for new players and eventually kill the current incarnation of the game. With almost no new blood and long term subs using plex to pay for their subs CCP will be in a world of hurt. Maybe then they will do the thing that will not only save Eve and could double their subs - create a pve server. Let the hard-core keep their pvp server but let everyone else enjoy blessed relief from the rabid.

Of course it is not going to happen (removing High Sec or a pve server). 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Get rid of High Sec?  I cannot find the link but 3 years ago when I first joined I read that CCP had determined that almost half of the Eve population stayed in High Sec space. Yup, I am one of them. I stay in 0.5 space and above. Eliminate High Sec and a good proportion of the Eve population will quit. I will. Eve is a great game but I do not like getting ganked.

Actually, getting rid of High Sec IS a good idea as it will kill Eve for new players and eventually kill the current incarnation of the game. With almost no new blood and long term subs using plex to pay for their subs CCP will be in a world of hurt. Maybe then they will do the thing that will not only save Eve and could double their subs - create a pve server. Let the hard-core keep their pvp server but let everyone else enjoy blessed relief from the rabid.

Of course it is not going to happen (removing High Sec or a pve server). 

WOOOO, Hey Mal here is another. I am not along, there is more then 1.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Seriously it's ruining the game, people get used to it while learning the game, grow attached to their characters and never leave high sec. They them become bored and blame everything on taking too much time to train or  they're too scared to lose their stuff.  CCP need to throw players in at the deep end, stop holding their hand and just make people PVP from the get go so they get used to dying. Really that is the problem of EVE, people just aren't used to dying, they get too attached to their gear. Dayz has proved that this approach of throwing you into this hostile world works, all EVE has done is proved high sec doesn't work. It doesn't mean the game will turn into chaos either as you will get alliances who will allow friendly players and they'll act  as the police in their own areas. All it means is finally players have control of the whole game and new players will die again and agian and again and become used to it and not fear PVP.

so if you are not scared either to die or loose your gear, why dont you attack them in high sec?

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Dayz is capped at 50 players per server and you will NEVER have 100+ people with Battle Cruisers camping a nube station just for shit and giggles. Not to mention that anything you lose in Dayz you can find again in a few hours if you know where to look. Worst comparison ever.

I have heard this before "Eve is the only ... mmo to .. grow in numbers".  I remember playing 3 years ago and seeing pretty much the same numbers that I see every night in Eve today. Maybe Eve is growing but not by much. I  believe that any major growth is due to old subs creating multiple accounts. I find it interesting that CCP does not identify the number of UNIQUE accounts. If they do - please post the link.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    OP show us on the Raven where the bad ships touched you. 
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

EvE was way more hardcore in the beginning, when you could fight CONCORD and escape without loosing your ships etc.

If anything was proven through the years in EvE, then it was the fact, that CCP ttok the right aproach by making HighSec as safe as possible, without making it 100% safe.

These highsec-dwellers are those, who make EvE possible actually, as they keep the game alive. Without them, EvE would be down to only some 100-200k subs.

Look at all the other FFA PvP MMOs outthere.... they lack highsec and for that reason they lack a big enough playerbase to keep those games populated and alive.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by tordurbar

I have heard this before "Eve is the only ... mmo to .. grow in numbers".  I remember playing 3 years ago and seeing pretty much the same numbers that I see every night in Eve today. Maybe Eve is growing but not by much. I  believe that any major growth is due to old subs creating multiple accounts. I find it interesting that CCP does not identify the number of UNIQUE accounts. If they do - please post the link.

I have heard your point before too.  I'm curious why it matters and why Eve is the only game that gets singled out in this regard?

If you were CCP would care whether 250,000 people paying you $30 a month or 500,000 people paying $15 a month?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Seems the game has been doing just fine for  how many years now?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!