Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that Camelot Unchained is coming - how will this game really fare?

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    If both were released today, I'd immediately buy both.  And I rarely buy mmos without trying them out first.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Considering the fact that CU is being funded now and would likely take several years to be completed and its leaning towards a specific audiance of gamer seeking pvp... I'd say it would do extreme little, if anything at all.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Given how long I stick around a typical TP MMO, CU isn't coming fast enough, by the time it releases I'm sure TESO will be a distant memory for me. Which makes it all the better that the Repop is coming this year (hopefully) as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would predict a complete flop and aside from Wow i am usually right.

There are too many games all trying to do the same things and nobody can play all of them.So the cream rises to the top and the rest are revolving door games.

nobody has to reinvent the wheel because there is still plenty of creativity untouched within current designs.The problem is devs just want to do the bare minumum,it wil lnot work anyhmore the market is flooded.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Rusque

So there's this super awesome game that no one has even had the idea for, do you think it will hurt CU?

I thought the GW2 hype was bad, people looked at that game like it was their savior. The CU crowd is so much worse and that game is still just an idea! You guys are going to hype it to death and by the time (IF) it's made everyone's expectations will be astronomical.

There's no way CU is going to live up DAOC nostalgia + years of hype . . .  you guys are killing the very game you want to see.

Sums it up. Reminds Duke Nukem Forever. If it was released like even 10 years ago would it be so much critisised? Doubtfully. Same may easily happen here with CU.

Back on topic:

1. I don't really think that CU and TESO are targeted to exactly same crowd. First is supposed to have no PvE at all while TESO despite RvR stuff will also contain at least some PvE (including endgame).

2. Even if previous point is not valid then CU release date is what? 2016? 2017? Doubtfully any sooner unless development already started or they intend to release only technology but no content with version 1.0 (that would be ofc fail)

3.  What may or may not be similar is approach to open world gameplay. With CU, as it is RvR, I believe that this would be main focus for obvious reasons. With TESO I've got an impression that regardless current content company didn't decide yet if they want to push it towards more of WoW like gameplay (mostly instanced gameplay for endgame) or open world. It to some extense reminds me of Rift where initially it appeared that open world gameplay may be important yet it turned into what it turned. Which was decided tbh at later stages of development.

Regarding point 3 I am not stating that TESO will be like WoW or Rift. Just stating that it doesn't really look like they have decided what main focus will eventually be. For now it is Cyrodil. But then it is for now.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Camelot Unchained is coming? Really? When?

I thought it was yet another KS pan-handling vapourware pipe-dream.

Got an ETA?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

TESO will fare like SWTOR.

huge initial burst, then falloff and then.........well you know how most MMOs have fared lately.

people allways look for the next thing to satisfy their unsatisfiable hunger.... Kinda like seen it, I'm movin on.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I don't even know why CU matters, as far as I care it doesn't even exist, so it doesn't affect TESO in any way. I'll buy/play TESO and won't buy/play CU because it's a waste of time of a game meant to take advantage of a nostalgic niche of players that have all grown up/moved on. I hope that works as an answer.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• JayDoseJayDose Member Posts: 9
    Yeah chances are ESO will be a ways into its release before CU is even close to finished.. if it gets funded. It'd be a different story if the two were expected to be released at the same time.
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by JayDose
    Yeah chances are ESO will be a ways into its release before CU is even close to finished.. if it gets funded. It'd be a different story if the two were expected to be released at the same time.

There will be years between the games, so it is Fairly certain that you cant blame it on CU when TESO flops (after 6 Montana i am pretty sure it will attain only a few 100 k subscribers and sinking  from There until it goes F2P.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Let me tell what will happen

TESO launches, people play it, get to the end-game in 2 weeks and come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappoints

Archeage launches on the west, people play it, get very deep on the game and then come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappoints

Blizzard announces Titan, hype goes off the fucking charts, every other mmo then looks like a time waster until titan launchs

Camelot Unchained releases, old-school fans gets disappointed for the game not being exactly DAoC with better graphics and not even remotely paying its hype off, more fresh players get disappointed by indie quality gameplay and everyone will have their eyes on the new shiny mmos coming out

World of Darkness launches, it replaces EvE as the sandbox king

Titan laucnhes, it replaces WoW as the mmo king

And then you have CCP and Blizzard ruling the mmo market

Just as today

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Cetra
    Originally posted by Sentnl

Hahahahaah, now that it's coming! ...In two years time.

correction. 3 years

If then, assuming that there are no issues. Who knows since they haven't even started the main design/coding stage.

CU hype train makes the SWTOR and the GW2 hype trains look pathetic. At least we had game videos to watch while hyping this game. We have one pathetic tech show and some line drawings? WOW - HYPE CITY!!!

Yep. And those game videos sucked us into a comletely rubbish game in both cases. So, how exactly did the videos help?

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Elder Scrolls = much bigger name to the younger players ranging from teens to early 20s which is where the majority of the gaming population is. As far as I'm concerned CU will be a smudge on the windshield at best. Also the fact that CU will be a P2P game and ESO will most likely go the route of GW2 and be B2P it will be easier for people to commit themselves to a game they pay for once and dont need to worry about making a subcription cost actuallly count.

Oh and of course as others mentioned CU hasn't even started its development phase, whilst ESO will be out November of this year supposably. 

• amalmer1amalmer1 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Im a hard core DAoC fan and CU is not enough of a MMO to make me even care to look into it much past the fact there is no PvE. No open world dungeons or lands to explore and enjoy with the fear of being attacked by players. CU IMO is not a MMO, its a battle ground taken from a great MMO. 15 bucks a month to play a battleground. ESO has 10 times more content and 3 faction DAoC RvR. As a DAoC fan this is a easy choice.

I call it a Fantasy Call of Duty Clone.

With a montly fee

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Titan will sweep out the trash and CU will be regulated to some niche crowd if it even survives. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by dinams
    Let me tell what will happen TESO launches, people play it, get to the end-game in 2 weeks and come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappointsArcheage launches on the west, people play it, get very deep on the game and then come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappointsBlizzard announces Titan, hype goes off the fucking charts, every other mmo then looks like a time waster until titan launchsCamelot Unchained releases, old-school fans gets disappointed for the game not being exactly DAoC with better graphics and not even remotely paying its hype off, more fresh players get disappointed by indie quality gameplay and everyone will have their eyes on the new shiny mmos coming outWorld of Darkness launches, it replaces EvE as the sandbox kingTitan laucnhes, it replaces WoW as the mmo king And then you have CCP and Blizzard ruling the mmo marketJust as today

cannot really argue with this except people here will whine up a storm about titan no matter what it is unless its just a completely different type of mmo that is a new concept.

knowing blizzard, that just aint gonna happen.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Camelot Mk 2 isn't nearly enough of a backed and funded, or even partially completed game to give the endless 'DAoC-or-nothing' tunnel-visioned somewhere else to go where the IP better fits the game model.

A pity - they might be happier going where the primary thing they care about is catered for without any interference from the past, established IP fans or indeed anything resembling an opinion differing significantly from their own.

It would however reduce traffic on this site by an appreciable amount, and leave us all living in a more monochrome world.

So - swings and roundabouts...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by dinams

Let me tell what will happen

TESO launches, people play it, get to the end-game in 2 weeks and come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappoints

Archeage launches on the west, people play it, get very deep on the game and then come to mmorpg.com saying how the game sucks and disappoints

Blizzard announces Titan, hype goes off the fucking charts, every other mmo then looks like a time waster until titan launchs

Camelot Unchained releases, old-school fans gets disappointed for the game not being exactly DAoC with better graphics and not even remotely paying its hype off, more fresh players get disappointed by indie quality gameplay and everyone will have their eyes on the new shiny mmos coming out

World of Darkness launches, it replaces EvE as the sandbox king

Titan laucnhes, it replaces WoW as the mmo king

And then you have CCP and Blizzard ruling the mmo market

Just as today

Not an unreasonable prediction.

Almost certainly better than 90% of those made on these forums daily.

*applauds*

However - I do wonder about Titan. If it's SciFi - is there enough love of the genre to match the established Fantasy fanbase?

I have no idea - but it's something to consider.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I would have rather seen Mark Jacobs recreate Magestorm instead of a DAoC Lite... I really wish another game like Magestorm  / Spellbinder would come along again.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Well first CU needs to get funded. My opinion is this though. Once this game fails so hard you'll be having more people coming to play CU because they will want their fill of real RVR combat. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Im a hard core DAoC fan and CU is not enough of a MMO to make me even care to look into it much past the fact there is no PvE. No open world dungeons or lands to explore and enjoy with the fear of being attacked by players. CU IMO is not a MMO, its a battle ground taken from a great MMO. 15 bucks a month to play a battleground. ESO has 10 times more content and 3 faction DAoC RvR. As a DAoC fan this is a easy choice.

Can t disagree here.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by meddyck

That's easy. It will offer levelling and gear grinding first plus it will have different mechanics that may appeal more to former DAOC players

so by offering less content (no PVE) that somehow means it offers more?

i guess if you are a fan of moba games or fps shooters that may appeal to you more than TESO would.

as a fan of both Daoc and TES, i want pve in my game too. i am not saying i wouldn't give CU a try if it did its pvp really well but i just don't see what that game would offer that TESO will not, other than being a newer game and doing things a little differently.

The topic of this thread is about TESO vs CU so it goes without saying this is mainly about people who are focused on RvR/AvA/Tri-Realm. People like, for instance, me. There are tons of MMOs that have PvE. There's no reason somebody couldn't RvR in CU and PvE in, for instance, GW 2, TESO, EQ Next, or whatever else is popular in 2015.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by baphamet

That's easy. It will offer levelling and gear grinding first plus it will have different mechanics that may appeal more to former DAOC players

so by offering less content (no PVE) that somehow means it offers more?

i guess if you are a fan of moba games or fps shooters that may appeal to you more than TESO would.

as a fan of both Daoc and TES, i want pve in my game too. i am not saying i wouldn't give CU a try if it did its pvp really well but i just don't see what that game would offer that TESO will not, other than being a newer game and doing things a little differently.

The topic of this thread is about TESO vs CU so it goes without saying this is mainly about people who are focused on RvR/AvA/Tri-Realm. People like, for instance, me. There are tons of MMOs that have PvE. There's no reason somebody couldn't RvR in CU and PvE in, for instance, GW 2, TESO, EQ Next, or whatever else is popular in 2015.

Yeah but then if to PvE in TESO and PvP in CU... Why not to simply do both in TESO? Point is we don't know how RvR in TESO will work out and if it does then playing simply one game may give more less same with much less effort. I mean even switching apps with alt-tab can be for some a problem (I'd guess that for most).

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    I don't feel great about this game atm, regardless of what happens with CU.
    Originally posted by alterfenix

Yeah but then if to PvE in TESO and PvP in CU... Why not to simply do both in TESO?

Level of quality?