Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not worth it. NOT!

Comments

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Why the kneejerk reaction? OH! never mind, that's what we do here, silly me.

Seriously, do ya think that maybe they'll have a patch, or shockingly have two patches that might just fix some of those little concerns of yours? No? Pessimist much?

I find this confusing. As has been stated more times than I care to count, every single one of the issues that are repeatedly raised concerning this game -- bugs, poor UI design, easily bugged/exploited missions, ect. -- were repeatedly raised and discuss in Alpha and all three Betas. None of it is new, it was all there months before launch.

This whole "I'm shocked -- Shocked! -- to find out there are bugs in our game!" act by Trion is downright insulting to the multitude of unpaid testers who told them about all of this months ago.

And for those who want to claim there aren't any issues, how exactly can that be when even the lead dev is talking about eight pages of bug fixes?

Honestly at this point I don't care about the game one way or the other, but I am getting sick and tired of Trion acting like no one told them there were problems, Trion defenders acting as if all of the issues just magically popped into existence at launch, not to mention -- and I've seen this a depressing number of times now -- people blaming the testers for not "doing their (unpaid) job" and finding the problems.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Do people not realize MMO doesn't mean RPG?  Just because it is an MMO doesn't mean it will have the features of an RPG.  For a TPS, Defiance in my opinion has a very good amount of RPG elements and replayablity associated with it.  Ohh and its a flat rate of $60 with optional DLC.  No different than Borderlands or other such games.  Ohh but you do get to play with many more people (massivlely multiplayer online).  Seriously peeps, for $60 the game is a solid 8/10 TPS.  It has its issues, but most of the crap I see on here is from burnt out raiders and content consumers that need their next gear treadmill to be satisfied.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Wait a minute... the thread title is "Not worth it. NOT!"

Which means the OP is actually saying it *is* worth it?

I am confused.

+1

Maybe the OP skipped the 90's all together?  To bad.  That was a great decade for music too.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• codifier1codifier1 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Before this game went live I had come here to read players reveiws from those at it's beta. I should of listened and I didn't.

I read so many bad reviews about so many things wrong with this game but I figured since it's beta, they'll most likely fix them before going live. I was wrong. The game is in shambles. Very little works correctly.

There's no chat between players whatsoever. I was going to make a list of some of the things wrong and not working but it would take too long, not to mention, I just don't care enough to do so.

I should of listen to many of your posts. I would of saved money and troubles.

That'll teach me!

There are issues indeed, but knowing it's Trion company behind the game, they will definitely fix all the issues.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

According to one quote I saw in order to get the maximum experience from the game.  You need to play the game in real time between episodes.  So to an extent the game hasn't even started properly until the first EP of the TV series gets aired.   I also head there is another 10gb of content to come, which Xbox wise means we only have about half the game at the moment.  

As far as the issues go, they do seem to be acknowledging them.  They are launching a client patch on the 15th and another patch to come a few weeks after.  Chat and VOIP is one the issues they have acknowledged, it's on the list.   They are also updating the community at regular intervals and share the frustration that some of these things (especially Chat etc) are not working.

Overall to my eyes, I wouldn't dismiss this game until the TV show gets started and we have the promised patches.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

This game is not my cup of tea

Which is why I HAVEN'T bought the game...

geez some people like to suffer

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

Ok, i agree that it took me a while to figure out where the chat screen was .. and no, ive never seen anybody say anything ..

it gets old every time you get a quest and they say the same thing over and over about how you are the only one that can do this blah blah blah .....  

That said ... i like the game .. i think San Francisco is disappointing ... and tho there are lots of people playing the game, its very much a solo game .. 

Yeah, it could be a lot better, but i find it challenging and a breath of fresh air, after being burned out on fantasy spell casting and sword swinging games ..  I like playing with the different weapons and doing most of the quest .. The vehicles are fun to run around in but i wish you could mod them instead of the Dodge being the fastest vehicle so everyone has one .. 

Im really curious to see how the TV series will change the game .. and for 60 bux, i think its worth it.  I havent paid for the DL content yet .. because maybe the game wont hold my attention that long .. but for now its been fun enough for me.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by rodingo

Maybe the OP skipped the 90's all together?  To bad.  That was a great decade for music too.

+1. The 90's were great.

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Before this game went live I had come here to read players reveiws from those at it's beta. I should of listened and I didn't.

I read so many bad reviews about so many things wrong with this game but I figured since it's beta, they'll most likely fix them before going live. I was wrong. The game is in shambles. Very little works correctly.

There's no chat between players whatsoever. I was going to make a list of some of the things wrong and not working but it would take too long, not to mention, I just don't care enough to do so.

I should of listen to many of your posts. I would of saved money and troubles.

That'll teach me!

It's fracking should have for crying out loud. Maybe you should care more about your grammar and spelling than playing games.

The game is a mindless, fun shooter, who cares about chat? I use Mumble/Ventrilo. Who the hell is still using chat these days?

Ragedump.

Did not have breakfast yet. Alright, lemme try that again.

The contraction of should have, should've, does sound a bit like "should of". So this might be beause the OP never read anything of substance, sorry but blogs do not count. In any case this does show a complete failure of the education system which is also not the OPs fault.

Apologies my friend.

Do not bash the spelling of other people when yours is subpar.

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Thornrage
    I would say there are many who disagree. My friends and I are having fun. We don't nit-pick, we accept it for what it is and like it.

Agree with you. It is most def not the same as with a mmorpg where I can play 2 hours+ without a problem. Defiance is nice to do now and then for 30 minutes till 1 hour and then stop. But as others mentioned thats why it is not a rpg and that seems some persons forgetting.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I think the game is great and I look forward to participating in this new concept in gaming. People constantly cry out for something new to break the mold while keeping their favorite features and here we are. It's a shooter/rpg-lite/mmo/dynamic content/TV tie in.

And people complain that it has bugs at launch? Or that it's not enough like other games? I do agree it's not worth $60 at this point, which is why I paid $38 through a legit cd key store.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by huskie77

I think the game is great and I look forward to participating in this new concept in gaming. People constantly cry out for something new to break the mold while keeping their favorite features and here we are. It's a shooter/rpg-lite/mmo/dynamic content/TV tie in.

And people complain that it has bugs at launch? Or that it's not enough like other games? I do agree it's not worth $60 at this point, which is why I paid $38 through a legit cd key store.

Didn't know there are legit cd keys store now.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

OP doesnt like the game, well ok thats fine but alot of people do like it, myself included.

Its a fun shooter with a decent storyline and the only annoying thing for me is the lack of good chat system and a good lfg system.

Everything else has been working fine for me(PC). Now I dont have as much time to play as alot of other people, I have about 8 hours into the game so far and I am not good at shooters so it takes me a bit longer to get things done but I am having alot of fun.

The biggest improvement for me would be a way to enhance the reticule, my old eyes don't track it as well as I would like, if it was bigger and more defined it would help me alot.

I am looking forward to the episodic missions once the TV show launches.

I think this game has alot of potential and I will keep playing it as long as I continue to enjoy it, pretty much like any other game I have ever played.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

its now on sale at amazon for £25, not sure how much that is in dollars but amazon are about as legit as it gets image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Namco-Bandai-Defiance-PC-CD/dp/B00B4QD11Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365512199&sr=8-3&keywords=defiance

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Phry

its now on sale at amazon for £25, not sure how much that is in dollars but amazon are about as legit as it gets image

You can also buy a key through MMORPG.com when you click on the "Play Now" tab to the upper right of this page for $49 USD. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Phry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Namco-Bandai-Defiance-PC-CD/dp/B00B4QD11Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365512199&sr=8-3&keywords=defiance

Yes but for a change it's the USA that's being shafted. I paid 25 UKP to get my boxed pre order from amazon.co.uk and at the current exchange rate that's around $40 but if you check amazon.com the US price really was $59.99 at launch. They've reduced the price for the download version to $49.99 now though.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by maciopa

If you haven't bought the game yet - do not do it now. Wait a month or two. Let Trion settle all bugs and flaws.

Trion has one of the best reputations in the industry for fixing things aggressivley.

Have you noticed that Trion has the worst customer support ever? They never read your inquiry, replying with "ctr-c" / "ctrl-v" answers. THEY JUST DO NOT CARE!

Meh. They are swamped and are going about it in a very typical matter. Patience is key during a launch period.

Have you noticed that they have moved "Badlands drifter" title, which was supposed to be in Deluxe Digital Pack (we paid for it), to Exclusive Pack without granting their customers any compensation in that place?

Are you aware that Trion already HAS your money? And the more ppl rage quit the game the better for them (server stability issues). So they are NOT forced and CANNOT BE forced in any way to keep up the good job? You may NOT vew SciFi/ScyFy movie serie by the same title, but can you prevent your cable-network-tv-provider buying an access to that tv-channel? As you see - we, so called "customers of Trion", are now in a big, dark, damp place called ... Will you fill a law suit against them for 60 Euro? Alone? Have you read a user agreement/service agreement with Trion? Are they obliged to keep servers running? For how long? Have you read "rules of conduct"? Are there any?

Trion has a decent reputation, I am sure they intend to keep it.

This was my first and last pre-order. Thanks to Trion I have learned my hard lesson of NOT trusting the game industry with my money "in front".

It is always a risk when you pre-order. many of us have been burned, but it's a risk some are willing to take.

The gameplay in Defiance leads to nowhere. You do not need any new weapons - just stick to your starter one and you will be fine.

Actually this is very much incorrect. If you do not switch weapons you will gimp yourself in the end. You will not level cap your weapon skills.

It is FPS with a very limited MMO functionality. Sth like SWtOR - you can manage a whole contest just by yourself.

TPS....MMOTPS.

I have not played an MMO in years that I cannot solo most of it. Newer MMOs do take it even further. I don't mind at all; I like to mix it up. I hate being forced to group.  This game does force you to work with others in certain aspects of the game. I like that you can work with people without having to actually form a group or a raid party.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I agree  about chat with OP, but for rest of game I dont know what he talking about,Defiance is fun shooter mmo,not perfect but game is good
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I played in Beta 1 & 2 and for me the game lacked excitment. As a shooter there are better out there, BF3 being my favourite, and i was just underwhelmed with the game. I'm NOT saying it's bad, I just could not get into it. If the TV show piques my interest I may give it another go when the price comes down but at the moment I will not be buying it.  Having said that, I hope it successful as Trion hopes... my only question is, what happens if the TV show flops, will the game close too?
  • SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    I played in Beta 1 & 2 and for me the game lacked excitment. As a shooter there are better out there, BF3 being my favourite, and i was just underwhelmed with the game. I'm NOT saying it's bad, I just could not get into it. If the TV show piques my interest I may give it another go when the price comes down but at the moment I will not be buying it.  Having said that, I hope it successful as Trion hopes... my only question is, what happens if the TV show flops, will the game close too?

You're thinking about it all wrong... Defiance...BattleField 3.... there's no connection... at all! Defiance is a TPS MMO. It does what it does well. The genre it's fitting is a little under developed and it'll definately be a place holder for future innovation in itself and other titles.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Title misleading OPOP

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

They rushed the game IMHO to coincide with the TV show launch. Game is still incredibly buggy. They need at least 4-6 months worth of fixes for the game to be ready for primetime. The developer admits they have about 8 pages worth of bug fixes to be ready for release and they are waiting for the TV series to launch. The major patch will include fixes as well as the first waves of DLC (ka-ching time?). Also they are also planning for the simultaneous PC/XBOX360/PS3 patching which tends to slow things down as it takes about 2 weeks for XBOX360/PS3 content certification.

Some bugs I've encountered after around 9 hours of playing:

- Game chat is incredibly buggy, basic community interaction is almost non-existent.

- Group Phasing is buggy (if you are in a storyline phase, your group member sometimes can't see you and you can't see them).

- Some missions have crazy respawn spots that respawn you in the middle of a bunch of monsters making you get killed over and over while you sit on your ass without any ammo. Only way out is to ALT-F4, then abandon the mission, and redo the whole thing and try not to die. Yes this is a solo mission so you can't get help.

- Weapon modification is a chore. Seriously... they could have design the whole thing in a single window but no..you have to switch around at least 3 windows. Serious lack of labels.

- Lack of banks or storage. You carry everything in your inventory. So if I have like 50+ inventory items and i wanna find that piece of scope mod I have to scroll all the way down 2-3 pages of inventory.

- No hotkey to switch beteween different loadouts. You can only have 2 weapons equipped per load out. Seriously put some hot key for it. If you don't like people switching to different weapons too fast at least put a cooldown between load out switches.

- Collision problems with world objects and vehicles. Yes I gotta love getting stuck on a pebble with my ATV.

- Going for cover/crouching is useless. I can see the enemy but when I shoot while crouched behind an object I shoot at the object in front of me despite aiming above the object to hit the target. Apparently some explosions (like those caused by bombs and rockets) can penetrate your cover like go thru it literally like nothing is there.

I could go on and on and type out multiple pages of the bugs in the game but yeah.... this game has potential (I love post apocalyptic RPG/Shooter) but it's not there yet and Trion gotta get their ass off and fix the game before people get bored and start quitting.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Liddokun

They rushed the game IMHO to coincide with the TV show launch. Game is still incredibly buggy. They need at least 4-6 months worth of fixes for the game to be ready for primetime. The developer admits they have about 8 pages worth of bug fixes to be ready for release and they are waiting for the TV series to launch. The major patch will include fixes as well as the first waves of DLC. Also they are also planning for the simultaneous PC/XBOX360/PS3 patching which tends to slow things down as it takes about 2 weeks for XBOX360/PS3 content certification.

Some buys I've encountered after around 9 hours of playing:

- Game chat is incredibly buggy, basic community interaction is almost non-existent.

- Group Phasing is buggy (if you are in a storyline phase, your group member sometimes can't see you and you can't see them).

- Some missions have crazy respawn spots that respawn you in the middle of a bunch of monsters making you get killed over and over while you sit on your ass without any ammo. Only way out is to ALT-F4, then abandon the mission, and redo the whole thing and try not to die. Yes this is a solo mission so you can't get help.

- Weapon modification is a chore. Seriously... they could have design the whole thing in a single window but no..you have to switch around at least 3 windows. Serious lack of labels.

- Lack of banks or storage. You carry everything in your inventory. So if I have like 50+ inventory items and i wanna find that piece of scope mod I have to scroll all the way down 2-3 pages of inventory.

- No hotkey to switch beteween different loadouts. You can only have 2 weapons equipped per load out. Seriously put some hot key for it. If you don't like people switching to different weapons too fast at least put a cooldown between load out switches.

- Collision problems with world objects and vehicles. Yes I gotta love getting stuck on a pebble with my ATV.

- Going for cover/crouching is useless. I can see the enemy but when I shoot while crouched behind an object I shoot at the object despite aiming above the object to hit the target. Apparently some explosions (like those caused by bombs and rockets) can penetrate your cover like go thru it literally like nothing is there.

I could go on and on and type out multiple pages of the bugs in the game but yeah.... this game has potential (I love post apocalyptic RPG/Shooter) but it's not there yet and Trion gotta get their ass off and fix the game before people get bored and start quitting.

it is buggy, but its alos alot of fun, it needs fixing, and i hope they get some of it fixed soon, unitl then to be honest give it a bit of time, this thing has been out what a month? general rule of thumb is any MMO needs to be given at least month aftrer launch before really hitting it hard on judgement,

but meh if you still want to get on it, to be honest just like the OP said thier where alot of people saying how buggy it is even the poeple who liked it where saying this. so you cant really blame anyone if you bought it and are upset cause its buggy.

i still say i have lots of fun in it.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

One man's crap is another man's treasure.

I bought the Digital Deluxe version, it cost £54.99, and I have played Defiance for roughly 4 hours a day, each day since launch, and I am still having fun.

For comparison, I went out for lunch at the weekend, had some food, and a few drinks, and spent £52, and while the food and drinks were good, I only spent roughly 3 hours enjoying them.

So, was Defiance worth the money, of course it was, and still is.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    I do like the ArkFall events and the storyline is interesting. I would say this game is definitely worth it (after they fix all the bugs). Yeah... my recommendation to  players is get the game after a couple of months later. If you like post apocalyptic action RPG/Shooter this is one of the better ones out there. Well... I would say the game is still in BETA status (it's playable but only if you are willing to put up with the bugs). We're essentially paying to play a BETA product.