Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's official - zones will have channels/phasing

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So it's confirmed, the zone within a zone setup that SWTOR and a few other games have been blasted for is going to be in Elder Scrolls Online also.  Here is one paragraph with the confirmation, followed by the source:

"Also note that layering and channels are not the same thing. The megaserver places players intelligently into channels to make sure your gameplay experience is good and to prevent overcrowding. So if you’re in Glenumbra, but you can’t see your friend, you may be in a different channel. You’ll simply be able to join your friend in their channel or vice-versa. Channels, however, will be largely invisible, as we’ll try to put you in the best channel with the highest preponderance of your social connections."

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/04/08/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-3

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Ummm...this was known long ago.... like months and months ago in the very early interviews...  Nothing new or what was not already known long ago.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by furbans
    Ummm...this was known long ago.... like months and months ago in the very early interviews...  Nothing new or what was not already known long ago.

And that still doesn't make it ok, I like how they'll "try" to fit you in with your buds. Sorry this game is looking to be a disaster of epic proportions. 

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

And that still doesn't make it ok, I like how they'll "try" to fit you in with your buds. Sorry this game is looking to be a disaster of epic proportions. 

What makes it not ok exactly?

• Fubika24Fubika24 Member UncommonPosts: 13

So if you read the whole thing he says that the type of layering they use doesnt necesseraly exclude other players(ala STWOR) from your phase, so it will be more like in WOW where the area changes entirely if you have done certain things. And thats not layer in layer .. If anything he confirmed that it wont be like SWTOR. Also the part  you have quoted completely contradicts what you`re sayin. Channels are more like servers with other people running about not like in SWTOR where you have your own personal instances(or like GW2). 

Im out.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Fubika24

So if you read the whole thing he says that the type of layering they use doesnt necesseraly exclude other players(ala STWOR) from your phase, so it will be more like in WOW where the area changes entirely if you have done certain things. And thats not layer in layer .. If anything he confirmed that it wont be like SWTOR. Also the part  you have quoted completely contradicts what you`re sayin. Channels are more like servers with other people running about not like in SWTOR where you have your own personal instances(or like GW2). 

Im out.

No, the way he's talking about events being completed and having different layers is completely separate from the channel system being referred to.

Originally posted by Livnthedream

Because I want to see all the people I'm playing with.  I would rather have more servers and at least be able to see everyone that's on the server running around.  SWTOR felt like a ghost town even when there were a lot of people on because of this stupid channels idea. 

What they are referring to with "layers" for having made different quest choices is one thing, but the "channel" thing he is referring to is completely seperate as described in the article - and is the same where they just make copies of the area based on how many people are currently playing in it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    How it 'feels' when you are in game is what matters.  Obviously with a single server, phasing/instancing is going to happen.  SWTOR's zones felt empty and lifeless.  Clearly whatever they did, they did poorly.  I don't believe it has to be that way though.
  • Fubika24Fubika24 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Margulis

Because I want to see all the people I'm playing with.  I would rather have more servers and at least be able to see everyone that's on the server running around.  SWTOR felt like a ghost town even when there were a lot of people on because of this stupid channels idea. 

What they are referring to with "layers" for having made different quest choices is one thing, but the "channel" thing he is referring to is completely seperate as described in the article - and is the same where they just make copies of the area based on how many people are currently playing in it.

Didnt Swtor have multiple channels on multiple servers? Here there will be 1 server with multiple channels. Also we dont know how many people will be on 1 channel , im fairly certain they dont want to spread their community to thin cuz that would be a stupid idea.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Livnthedream Originally posted by Panzerbase Originally posted by furbans Ummm...this was known long ago.... like months and months ago in the very early interviews...  Nothing new or what was not already known long ago.

they do it when there is too many people, lots of games do that, EQ2 does it as well.

do you honestly believe they will put you in another channel when there isn't already too many people in the zone making it seem lifeless?

do you honestly think for a second that is the reason SWTOR seems so lifeless? really?

the alternative to this is to have hundreds of people all running around the same newb area at launch waiting in line to kill a certain mob.....because that's soooo much more immersive, amirite?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

You'll find out.  Defiance has it too.  And it's really frustrated because you can't help them do story and episode missions if you have already done it.

You'll be going somewhere that is a phased quest.  Or layered as they call it.  Where you made one choice and your friend made another.  That town may be full of werewolves for you and your friend may have saved it.  Upon entering the phase, you will be separated from your friend.  You will no longer be able to see them until you both leave and rejoin each other's 'channel'.  It's all a big bunch of crap that destroys community in order to make their game always populated.

Trust me, it sucks.  I believe Age of Conan was one of the first MMO's to really make use of the zone instancing.  It's now gotten out of control.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I do not understand why is so bad to have phasing. I think phasing just makes story in MMO more immersive.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I don't remember people shitting all over City of Heros when they did the same thing. As far as I can recall, that game was the first to do it... I also don't hear people bitching about EverQuest when they introduced dungeon instances with that one expansion, can't recall the name right now but you all know which one I mean. Something with the Ykesha...

Can we stop with the outrage? Cover all the bases if it is that upsetting.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Hmm...I don't think there is one game created in the last 8 or so years that hasn't gotten any form of zone duplets to avoid overcrowding  . But with a good friends and guild list this isn't even noticed . I think the one of the first games that REALLY used this heavyly was Everquest 2...But you only noticed this during realease when each zone was packed with players...

The phasing of quests steps and such is not as common however, It's now noticed in Defience , most annoyingly when group members dissapear and reapear infront of you as you group up together..don't really know why in this case however there really isn't multiple choices in the very simple quest system of Defience.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by furbans Ummm...this was known long ago.... like months and months ago in the very early interviews...  Nothing new or what was not already known long ago.

they do it when there is too many people, lots of games do that, EQ2 does it as well.

do you honestly believe they will put you in another channel when there isn't already too many people in the zone making it seem lifeless?

do you honestly think for a second that is the reason SWTOR seems so lifeless? really?

the alternative to this is to have hundreds of people all running around the same newb area at launch waiting in line to kill a certain mob.....because that's soooo much more immersive, amirite?

Uhhhh, yeah actually, it is.  I experienced it as did tons of other people, walking around quest hubs with a couple people here and there on a supposed "full" server.  Is it all that contributed to the lifeless feel?  No, not hardly, but it sure contributed to it.  AMMIRIIITEEE?!?!

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I think it will be fine if you get to filter on a case by case basis.

So there should be a channel the majority of your guild are on which is accessible by a guild channel button.

Same for 'your party' and your PvE, PvP, Raid, Mature, etc etc. when soloing or in a likeminded group.

Unlike GW2 however - it has to work from the get-go - or it will be a minor disaster at launch...

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Haters are clutching onto straws (virtually any "news") to deem this game a failure of epic proportions even before any of us have tried it..

Yea yea, just dont play it, but a failure I highly doubt it will be.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I'm ok with channels IF they are done intelligently. Neverwinter, for example, has channels and they totally ignore the fact that you are in a group, so you enter/leave a zone and mostly get split up. Then you have to look at the list of channels, find out which ones are also showing up for your buddies and then all move there (just as well we use TS). It's ridiculous. Maybe this will be fixed in Neverwinter's launch...cough...open beta.

TESO really needs to focus on channels not hampering the game. So many have done it badly, very few have done it right.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yes, if it didn't it be near impossible to play the game. The reason channels exist is for

1.) Lowering player numbers to allow for systems to handle an area at once and mitigate lag issues.

2.) Gives players the ability to do things. No channels players can camp leaving no mobs available to kill, or force high respawn rates making it messy if you come at the wrong time.

3.) Having hundreds of players together in one area can break 'emerision' particularly in areas where its suppose to invoke 'danger'. 

4.) If setup right, this can allow for servers (given channels utilize different servers each) to be fixed and worked on without bringing the entire game down making hardware maintenance easier to be done on those servers (though a character server and other 'always used' portions would still need dedicated down time for). 

• SheerzSheerz Member Posts: 15

From what I understand of this is that switching channels will be seamless, no lodaing, nothing.

You will already be in the same channel as most of those on your friendslist and in your guild. If you have neither you will be in a channel with likeminded people accoring to the survey (playstyle, interests etc) you filled in at 1st login.

I can't see how this would be a bad thing for the game instead of overcramped zones or split servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    This really isn't news, and I doubt you'll find many games that don't use some form of channeling. Fact is, unless they were to design the game for top end rigs only, the lag would be unbearable. (and perhaps not even then)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Been done very well in many MMOs, its also been done very badly in a few others but this is a positive thing IMO. I rather this then 50 people standing at the same crafting station. 
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

From the reviews people have said that played the game both before and during Pax East was  that choices don't seperate you from another player, they simply don't see what changes you made. So if you saved a town full of werewolves and your friend didn't save the town, your friend won't see all those townsfolk cheering at you. But you can still see each other.

The developers are saying there will be some instances where the choices you make split you off from your friends but they tried to place them all at the end of zones in order to limit as much as possible how often this occurs.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    with gw2,  overflow servers were innovative.  teso giving us control as to which overflow we're in, is ludicrous.  makes sense.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

So it's confirmed, the zone within a zone setup that SWTOR and a few other games have been blasted for is going to be in Elder Scrolls Online also.  Here is one paragraph with the confirmation, followed by the source:

"Also note that layering and channels are not the same thing. The megaserver places players intelligently into channels to make sure your gameplay experience is good and to prevent overcrowding. So if you’re in Glenumbra, but you can’t see your friend, you may be in a different channel. You’ll simply be able to join your friend in their channel or vice-versa. Channels, however, will be largely invisible, as we’ll try to put you in the best channel with the highest preponderance of your social connections."

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/04/08/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-3

Good.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Age of Conan did this - worked well especially if you were trying to get away from pvp'ers lol.