Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would like some stuff answered...

MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Okay so the game was released in September of 2010, I remember some buzz about it, but i never really bought into it and I guess i was right in doing so since they're now going to be relaunching it in a much improved state. 

This raises some questions on my end...

From what i can see FFXIV is currently live and playable but its the older client which requires you to buy a retail copy and sign up for a sub which is fine and dandy, but lets say i do jump into it now and create a character. Will that carry over into the new build or will this be a total fresh start? I'm guessing its the latter.

The other question i pondered up was whether or not it will re-release and continue to have a box price and a sub, or if they will just let it be B2P or F2P, or perhaps it will be "free" but you'll need to create an account and sign up for a subscription plan which i would actually like it to be that way, but i am unaware of what they're planning and if it has even been revealed.

Final question is if FFXIV is a sandbox style mmo or themepark? It definitely doesn't look to be a themepark so that makes me believe its more of a sandbox? or does it just combine elements of both parties?

I'm really considering giving this a try when 2.0 will go live, hopefully soon, cause that will allow me to be occupied whilst waiting for Archeage, ESO, EQNext. 

Comments

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    old version of ffxiv has alreayd been shut down, so buying some box copy a store had in the back for awhile would not be a good idead, you wouldnty be able to play it. They are currently in beta on the new client. There will be an open beta part at the end of there beta test so you can give it a whirl yourself before you buy it. The new version will still require a subscription and wil not be going F2p
  • MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Okay, so it will remain P2P but what will their distrubtion system be? Just a digital purchase? Do the people that bought the game initially have to rebuy it again? Kinda sucks if they do but i'm not in that situation.

Also still havent gotten an answer to the sandbox/themepark question >.<

• CerealBoxPrizeCerealBoxPrize Member Posts: 1

For info for this game, the Lodestone (http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html) and its forums are your friend.

If you bought 1.0 and registered it you'll get a free download of A Realm Reborn so you don't have to buy it again. It'll be distributed digitally(probably through the square enix website) and in stores.

As for whether or not its a themepark/sandbox we'll find out in open beta but I think it'll be a themepark.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    My RL friend that really isn't into fantasy MMO's got into beta and says the game is amazing. I was stunned in disbelief as I was throughly expecting this to be a bad WoW knockoff. I would wait for reviews and gameplay streams before I buy it but things are sounding good on my end, which is rare to say the least.
  • ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I bought the colectors edition when it first came out, but cannot register the version I have on the new website, the serial format is different now I guess.. Was wondering how they are going to handle those of us who bought back then.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

There will be a new collectors edition, they have the box design which they showed in the last live newsletter, but no artwork for the box as yet.

Yoshi has some really great ideas for the game, admittadly its not going to be for everyone, housing looks amazing, a bit like the LotrO system but taken even further from what I could see, what needs clearing up though is if we need to buy the land and build the house or we are buying a house, 2 interviews seem conflicting on this. Chocobo stables to raise chocobos can be added to your house, certain furnishing items will give bonus's like gil increase, xp boost etc.

Chocobos will be able to fight by your side and you can get different barding, though the barding will have no effect on the chocobo's stats, (Its going to be like dress up Barbie erm Chocobo).  They have plans for them to be able to go into dungeons at a later date and will level sync.

Caith Sith makes a return, golden saucer will be implimented.  From my take, it seems we will need to complete certain content to unlock other content, he mentioned we would need to complete Crystal Tower to unlock Bahamut battle.

Thats only some tid bits that have been spoken about during interviews.

*For those that don't know, Golden Saucer was in ffvii, an arcade where you could play mini games eg chocbo racing, battle, ski-ing, roller coaster, motorbike arcade plus more

**Registration for FFXIV is closed for now, keep hold of your key for when ARR is launching, you maybe able to register it then.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Malinkadink

Okay, so it will remain P2P but what will their distrubtion system be? Just a digital purchase? Do the people that bought the game initially have to rebuy it again? Kinda sucks if they do but i'm not in that situation.

Also still havent gotten an answer to the sandbox/themepark question >.<

I guess you could classify it as a 'themepark' but to be honest there are so many levelling options they've revealed that you can pretty much do your own thing.

From the LIVE Letters there are typical MMO quests like in WoW and other 'themeparks' (I hate hate hate these terms >_< ), FATEs (which are like dynamic evens from RIFT/Warhammer/GW2), the Levequests from version 1.0 (think quicker quests without having to go to different quest givers, you pick up missions from one person, do teh quests and turn them all in to the same person), Guildhests which are an upgraded system from 1.0 and designed for groups (we don't know very much yet), Dungeons. 

I think in one of the letters they said you could level off of PvP after getting to level 30, but I don't remember where this was. 

And that's just levelling up, I am sure I am missing something . . . 

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    probably will be a mix between sandbox and themepark. Balanced.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Open beta will probably be sometime around the end of May/early June, so you may want to give it a try then.
  • MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

Hmm interesting information, I definitely will give it a try in beta, and maybe even hold off buying it until it has been out a month or two. The game does look very interesting and it looks like they realy put a lot of effort into it. 

This, Archeage, and EQNext are all highly anticipated by me to get into a sandbox type experience even if FFXIV isn't a fully fledged sandbox title it will at least maybe give me a taste. 

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

Due to NDA not much can be disclosed about the game in its current state . I would research the game . There is a lot of info on the INFO post and you can find a lot on the offical websites . Other then that no one is going to break the NDA to give info until Phase 3 when the NDA is lifted . Beta is in Phase 2 at the moment . So just wait and see :)  You can also jon the beta test link is in the INFO post

You can buy a digital copy of the game Via SE website when the game is live or buy a retail copy . The game is on PS3 and PC

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link