Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is no gear progression like Guild Wars 2 a bad move?

13»

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

What we have here is people demanding skinner boxes instead of fun.

It's not the stats you are chasing, it's the feeling that comes the moment you acquire it. That's why that piece of gear only feels awesome for a short amount of time before you demand that feeling again.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Vorch

What we have here is people demanding skinner boxes instead of fun.

It's not the stats you are chasing, it's the feeling that comes the moment you acquire it. That's why that piece of gear only feels awesome for a short amount of time before you demand that feeling again.

Thanks for the psychology course - now give me my better upgrades.  :)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Vyeth

What I fail to understand is, who was this demographic that did not want gear progression? I know people are tired of their WoW raid gear wheels and that's understandable, but to eliminate that from MMO's from the start sounds a little rediculous to me..

At least in the lower levels if anything, of course as you reach the top the difference should be a bit more negligible.. But everyone likes to see progression..

The problem was never about progression whether it be gear or character based, it was how it was always narrowed down to a singular play style:  Raiding.  People started demanding alternate paths of progression, but even the most casual player wants to progress their character, the problem is getting developers to see that and appy it at 'ALL' levels of gameplay for every type of playstyle.

Don't forget, first person shooters have traditionally been about player skill and not gear or character influences.  Just because they are making an MMO out of it doesn't mean it will include RPG aspects.

Gear progression wasnt eliminated, i just think its high time we moved on from the old wow mechanics...dont you think?  It worked pretty nice for the last 10+ years but what this game does is a nice change of pace.  Im not locked into using the one weapon i got out of the most recent dungeon untill i hit a level cap to run the next dungeon and get the upgrade for it.

That system got a bit boring.  Im running around with one weapon, i know when i get my next weapon, i know what it will be, and thats the end of that.

Defiance has me ditching weapons making new ones better and constantly cycling through them, all while progressing my passive in them.  The weapons are getting better, just not in the base stats. Top it off with my passive skills getting better, which makes really any gun of that type i use a bit better.  its nice for a game with high weapon diversity, it works. 

I wouldnt like the game as much with the wow style system everyones crying for.  I know its hard for some people to figure out a new system that isnt in your face obvious as to what your next weapon will be, and i know its a hard instinct to break when your forced with the choice of ditching a good weapon for a weapon thats slightly worse due to the XP being full on it. 

Once you get over the fact that its not using the old wow/EQ system its actually quite nice to have your weapons changing quickly, while still progressing with them overall.

Am i the only one who finds this hilarious with all the popular cries for no more wow clones, but every time we see a game do it different the same people cry for the old wow systems back.  I get its cool to hate on some stuff because the internet says so, but even when deep down inside you love what you are hating...hilarious.

How you managed to pull WoW out of your hat and apply it to my argument is your issue, not mine.

Try reading beyond the word WOW.  I know its hard to do with all the emotions it causes. If it makes it easier for you i can edit it out and use EQ.

You make a lot of assumptions based on your own personal idiosyncracies bud and try to apply them to others.  That's why you use arguments with accusations of me wanting WoW style mechanics in my games.  Liking loot progression in a game is not even remotely the same as wanting systems used in previous games that you pull out of your ass.  You also seem to completely ignore my reference to character progression being just as important to casuals as gear can be.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

So is it that the devs are uncreative, or is it that their hands are kind of tied because they need to create their game like WoW or people will reject it?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    I prefer the no gear progression move. This is a player skill based shooter not how uber your guild that got you the gear is.  I think progression can satisfactorily be measured thru other means such as titles, costumes, vehicles, and "weapon skins". I'm tired of the WoW gear progression grind.