Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: KickStarter Launch Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last Tuesday marked a big day for the Camelot: Unchained team with the official launch of the KickStarter campaign to get the game's development funded. Check out our exclusive interview and then head to the comments to discuss.

MMORPG: Congrats on the launch of the Kickstarter! Can you share what it was like to get that started? Why was everything so hard to nail down after the initial announcement?

Mark Jacobs: Unfortunately, real life has a nasty way of intervening when least expected. We ended up having to spend more time on getting the latest version of March on Oz out. Once we did that, as we got closer and closer to launch, we then had to deal with unexpected snow, illness, the lead concept artist’s computer melting down, etc. Even with all that, we only missed our target launch window by 4 hours. Then, in deference to our European backers and because it was Friday evening here, we set the following Tuesday as our new date. 

Read more of Bill Murphy and Garrett Fuller's Camelot Unchained: KickStarter Launch Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

I dont really understand this mmorpg.  this game that hasnt even started development and might not even get made seems to get so much coverage from this website.  I mean anything they say yall do an interview with them about it, devs go poop, yall do interview.

whats the deal with this, they havent announced anything that even remotely sounds like it would be a good game.  dont you think there are other games coming out that maybe yall could devote a little bit of time to instead of 5 interviews and colums a week on daoc ripoff number whatever (as if one daoc wasnt bad enough).

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    That $25 tier is a good deal. Hope this gets funded, the interview looks on par with whats mostly acceptable nowadays, as far as avoiding pay to win.
  • SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

@hardicon

An MMORPG site covering an MMORPG? Heaven forbid! If you do not wish to read articles about a certian game, then... don't?

Anyway, I am looking forward to this game funding and being made. Lots of good ideas and concepts I would like to see take shape and breathe a bit of life back into the genre for people who like games with lots of social interaction and dependence.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

I really hope this get funded :)

As for the QQ about yet another CU article? I's been 3 days since the last one...and about 30ish news about other games during those three days. I Think there have been maybe 5 articles about Garriots game during those days as well.

Kickstarter projects are really good news due to the time trail and due to that it's almost a game in it self.

• LudguallonLudguallon Member UncommonPosts: 2
    !!!
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

@hardicon

Well, I haven't donated, the lack of PvE has me on the fence, I like to play all aspects in a game, so missing a aspect has me hesitant....With that said, the game was #1 on their hype meter, which doesn't mean a lot in the overall scheme, but it does mean people that use this site are evry interested, also if you look at thread activity, it has to be one of the higher ones, as one of the last 5 posts is usually for this game.  Also MJ is a well known figure, like, hate or indifferent to him as you may be, and his games he has been part of.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

They are already closing in on the first one million dollars. The problem/challenge is that 2nd million over the next 22 days. Perhaps Mark knows more about potentially larger investors and they are waiting to see some goals and specific mile-stones before buying in. 

I'm still very leary of an RvR only and soley game. I've heard all the excuses and plattitudes about why and the "benefits" but nothing historically shows it will work. So unless there are some remarkable innovations that will make it live up to the promises and ideas the game is vapor-ware for now. 

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Nice interview.

Almost half--way and  over 3 weeks left.

Can't wait for the stretch goals.

This is going to be a very social game, and for those worried about no PvE...

Keep in mind, there are mobs, animals, and will be dragons to kill. You just won't get loot from them, or level up on them.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Hope more people will back this game :)
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Sounds more like a scam, no thanks. 
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nice interview.

Keep in mind, there are mobs, animals, and will be dragons to kill. You just won't get loot from them, or level up on them.

Which begs the question of why would they waste development time and money to make them at all? Seems like a really bad point or arguement to me. Investing time and money into game elements that do literally nothing for you makes zero sense.

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by hardicon

I dont really understand this mmorpg.  this game that hasnt even started development and might not even get made seems to get so much coverage from this website.  I mean anything they say yall do an interview with them about it, devs go poop, yall do interview.

whats the deal with this, they havent announced anything that even remotely sounds like it would be a good game.  dont you think there are other games coming out that maybe yall could devote a little bit of time to instead of 5 interviews and colums a week on daoc ripoff number whatever (as if one daoc wasnt bad enough).

it gets "so much coverage" because DAOC was one of the most popular PvP / RvR games in history, and was the talk of the town amongst the PvP crowd until forced PvE was jammed down their throats, leading to a mass exodus.   Just because you never played and "don't understand the game" doesn't mean it wasn't succfessful, nor does it mean a new game based on DAOC's same mechanics with its original creator won't be successful in the future.

and contrary to your misinformed hatred, they've announced plenty that make it sound it will be a terrific game, including the no leveling based on PvE aspect while the entire endgame is determined by the players in tri-realm combat.  Bring it on! Just pledged $250.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by nf4mous

it gets "so much coverage" because DAOC was one of the most popular PvP / RvR games in history, and was the talk of the town amongst the PvP crowd until forced PvE was jammed down their throats, leading to a mass exodus.   Just because you never played and "don't understand the game" doesn't mean it wasn't succfessful, nor does it mean a new game based on DAOC's same mechanics with its original creator won't be successful in the future.

and contrary to your misinformed hatred, they've announced plenty that make it sound it will be a terrific game, including the no leveling based on PvE aspect while the entire endgame is determined by the players in tri-realm combat.  Bring it on! Just pledged $250.

im a former DAOC player also for over 4 years straight and to this day is the only game ive played for that long a period of time straight because most dont hold my interest but with that being said you are seriously wearing some rose tinted glasses. DAOC was by far not all that popular compared to games like EQ and UO. DAOC I dont even think ever broke 250k subs , and the people would leave for other games like shadowbane and SWG all the time.  Im not trying to knock your view on DAOC but some of this is inaccurate and just comes off as blantant fanboism. I personally will not pledge to this game either because there will be zero pve and it will be all pvp all the time except when crafting or hanging out in your house. Thats a concern of me because sometimes I like to just take it easy after a hard day at work doing pve in games , but that isnt going to happen so why would I pay a sub to , or support a game that half of it IMO is missing ?  Also with the way warhammer ended up with balance and so much cc and months upon months of classes like bright wizards destroying entire warbands makes me think twice about investing in it. I wish it the best personally though and I hope Mark succeeds but it doesnt interest me either in playing it when a much more polished version with TESO will be out before it.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Why are you giving this Kickstarter project such special treatment MMORPG.com? The game hasn't even gone into development yet! I think it's very bad practice to try and hype up the community for a game that only has some concept art and a shaky alpha build.

You haven't covered any other Kickstarter project this extensively so I find it sort of insulting that you're giving this one such special treatment. Why aren't you covering other Kickstarter projects, huh? Seems fishy...

Smile

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    The people who don't understand kickstarter are the worst thing about this whole process
  • ArtkilArtkil Member UncommonPosts: 20

Can't wait for the funding to complete...    So that I don't have to deal with the PVE crowd... 

Please nerf paper
    Scissors are fine
    Signed rock...

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Kickstarter is only a way to gauge interest in a subscription based RvR game. As Mark said, if not enough people are backing then there's not enough interest, hence no value in pouring million into the development of a game that few will play.

On the other hand: If you want to play a RvR centred game that is not watered down by having to please EA shareholders - please go and back now !

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I really hope this funds. Some of my best days in gaming were spent in DAoC RvR. A focused RvR MMORPG is a dream come true. Jacobs is one of the few developers in the industry that really gets it. Much respect for his community involvement over the years. PLEDGED. BIGTIME.
  • DeviDemonDeviDemon Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Maric
    I really hope this funds. Some of my best days in gaming were spent in DAoC RvR. A focused RvR MMORPG is a dream come true. Jacobs is one of the few developers in the industry that really gets it. Much respect for his community involvement over the years. PLEDGED. BIGTIME.

Same. I love RVR and really excited about this. Hopefully more people will pledge so we can see CU become a reality.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I hope they succeed but with no PvE option I have no interest in contributing.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I see this type of funding and wait periods to become more prevalent for a lot of games.  So get used to it.

Nanulak

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by nf4mous

im a former DAOC player also for over 4 years straight and to this day is the only game ive played for that long a period of time straight because most dont hold my interest but with that being said you are seriously wearing some rose tinted glasses. DAOC was by far not all that popular compared to games like EQ and UO. DAOC I dont even think ever broke 250k subs , and the people would leave for other games like shadowbane and SWG all the time.  Im not trying to knock your view on DAOC but some of this is inaccurate and just comes off as blantant fanboism. I personally will not pledge to this game either because there will be zero pve and it will be all pvp all the time except when crafting or hanging out in your house. Thats a concern of me because sometimes I like to just take it easy after a hard day at work doing pve in games , but that isnt going to happen so why would I pay a sub to , or support a game that half of it IMO is missing ?  Also with the way warhammer ended up with balance and so much cc and months upon months of classes like bright wizards destroying entire warbands makes me think twice about investing in it. I wish it the best personally though and I hope Mark succeeds but it doesnt interest me either in playing it when a much more polished version with TESO will be out before it.

First, 250K at the time when MMO where starting was big. I wasn't there then, but from the feedback i got from the time DAoC didn't benefit from a great advertisement campaign, so that number is quite high.

Second, i don't have the source here (probably among the thousands KS comment), but MJ said clearly that you will be able to play your crafter full time and find it fun. Why go PvE when you can build things that'll stay in the world and still be there when you come back?

Third, as MJ made that many games and made a living out of it, i don't think he is dumb. And only a dumb person doesn't learn from his mistakes. That means the mistakes made with WAR won't be repeated, and using it to justify the future failure of the game is then irrelevant. You can even use it to say the game will be a success, as as you can wonder what other mistakes he could make.

Furthermore, the backers will be discussing every idea from the start and will test them at least one year before release, so we can be pretty safe about the class balance.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by DJMantiss
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nice interview.

Which begs the question of why would they waste development time and money to make them at all? Seems like a really bad point or arguement to me. Investing time and money into game elements that do literally nothing for you makes zero sense.

Because a world without any life would feel empty. And if you count guards as PvE, then you also need to make it so than 1 player can't capture a fortifyed place just because he is the only one awake.

And you don't need to make hundreds of different mobs to have some PvE. Put in the game only a few dozens and it won't take many ressouces while still having enough.

Besides, there may be some mobs or animals that'll drop some crafting materials like the leather.

Oh, and the dragons are an important part of the game's background, so you need to have some of them.

• Alaya_AngelSoulAlaya_AngelSoul Member Posts: 27

It wasn't just the game, although it was a great game and a standard that others tried to build on. 

It was the community too.