Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprised this game didn't get more love after F2P

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Sornin
    I was happy to try it out recently and was very impressed with its graphics; the combat, however, was not for me. That does not mean it was bad, I just did not enjoy it very much. It could be the class I tried, the Lancer, was just too slow, which makes sense as he is a bulky tank, but combat felt a bit clunky. It was pretty nice to be able to hit multiple enemies at once, though.

Honestly that's how I felt. The combat just didn't feel right and was too sluggish for me. Then instead of giving up I rolled a Warrior and it's like a completely different gaming experience for me.

So I'd suggest that instead of tanking with a Lancer you tank with a Warrior, since the warrior is the most fat-paced & fluid class in the game. Here's an idea of what Warrior tanking is like at endgame.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Manolios

mediocre game, great f2p model. thats it for me. managed to reach 40 lvl and stopped.

btw maybe it has the worst AI of mobs i have ever seen in mmo's.

Yeash, you must really have played extremely few games or gotten very lucky cause to have it be the worst, You've missed a huge majority of games out there. I wish I was that lucky, it was one of the best AI system of any MMos I played out there considering it wasn't primative like many tab target/point and click games. 

Sometimes I really envy someone's lack of playing barely any games to miss all the bad ones. :(

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I put a couple hours into it since it went F2P, and I may try it more at some later date but I'm having a difficult time being attracted by the questing system.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Manolios

mediocre game, great f2p model. thats it for me. managed to reach 40 lvl and stopped.

btw maybe it has the worst AI of mobs i have ever seen in mmo's.

I couldn't  level anywhere close to 40 in this game ...I just found it too childish to play , perhaps it would have been a good starter MMO but 12 years too late for me

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Yeah I wasn't able to play it that long really the combat was ok better then the norm, but the whole lock you in place in an action combat system just messes up the fluidness it should be. Also the quest setup is a bit annoying, basically sticking you in the same area or around the same area still able to see the hub when doing the quests makes exploration fill a bit  lacking.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Its just not what most of us are looking for in an MMO.  To be terrible in every single aspect but graphics and combat doesnt cut it, and the combat isnt even that good for an action game.

There is a reason why the f2p model is very generous.  The game isnt good enough (to most) to afford a LOTRO style heavy restrictions freemium model.  The better your game is, the less you have to give away for free.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Its just not what most of us are looking for in an MMO.  To be terrible in every single aspect but graphics and combat doesnt cut it, and the combat isnt even that good for an action game.

There is a reason why the f2p model is very generous.  The game isnt good enough (to most) to afford a LOTRO style heavy restrictions freemium model.  The better your game is, the less you have to give away for free.

You have to be kidding here. image

The only reason why LOTRO could find success in it's heavily restricted F2P model, was because there were very few notable F2P games known in the West. It was still a very new thing at the time, yet now there are far too many F2P MMOs that a new game has to do what it can to make an impression. TERA's one was play the entire game for free... and I did. With LOTRO I rmember getting my Captain to around level 40 before calling it quits, by how grindy & restricted it was for a F2P'er.

Also I honestly cannot  fathom how you can complain about TERA's combat and later say LOTRO is better, for being able to afford it's heavily restricted F2P model when LOTRO has the god awful Lore Master for a mage type class. Well in retrospect I enjoyed the various skill interactions the Lore Master had, but the actual combat mechanics simply pales in comparison to TERA's Sorcerer.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I can't grasp why people praise tera's combat. The game plays like junk, in the immortal words of Mugatu, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Paid for ages ago and only played for a week then came back when it went f2p and got free elite status for a month. Played for a week or 2. I kept doing instance match until it wouldn't let me do it and followed the story quest lines. Made it to 35 on sorceror. Had fun may come back again.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Rusque
    I can't grasp why people praise tera's combat. The game plays like junk, in the immortal words of Mugatu, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Because just like every game, it has mechanics that takes some getting used to. And once past that barrier, it is all about finding a class you like. However you simply couldn't overcome that initial barrier, and thus, did not enjoy your experience.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Questing killed this game for me but really love the artwork this is one of my favorite fanmade game trailers ever.. also love 30 seconds to mars

This is War

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Rusque

All the games you like suck, I don't know why anyone would ever play them....see how that works ?

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I thought I was smart, buying Tera cheap before going f2p to get benefits.

Played for three days before I started to puke over the typical asian grind fest.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Questing killed this game for me but really love the artwork this is one of my favorite fanmade game trailers ever.. also love 30 seconds to mars

This is War

Yeh the questing killed it for me to.  To bad since their take on a duel weilding tank is actually fun, though a little hard, to play.  The game is fun for what it is, and for truly being the price of "free" I don't have anything really bad to say about the game. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Played for three days before I started to puke over the typical asian grind fest.

It will be interesting to see how many people say that for CU, if it ever even funds (the trendline isn't looking good).  I mean you bought a game without doing any research (YouTube, forums, etc) and then walked away disappointed that it wasn't how you imagined it to be.  That is exactly what is happening with CU.  Except you felt the need to shit on another game with some shallow racist comments about asian grinding too.

The game is Korean.  Koreans have different tastes in gaming.  Didn't you consider that when you purchased?

Dear sir,

Please try to understand, that I do not shot on other games. I told my opinion. If you mean my opinion is invalid and shitty, well... Then sorry for breathing sir?

Tera feels and looks like typical asian grind games to me.

I reached 20. Repeat quests and grind was on the menu, which I got really tired of (Sorry for my shit there, you know).

It feels like another typical MMO for me.

- Nice graphics

- Big boobs everywhere

- Insane grind.

I describe this game as a Asian MMORPG

Taken from Wikipedia:

"South Korea is a presidential republic consisting of seventeen administrative divisions and is a developed country with a very high standard of living. It is Asia's fourth largest economy and the world's 15th (nominal) or 12th (purchasing power parity) largest economy"

Wikipedia disagrees with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea

I wouldn't comment on your CU bashing. I answered why I wasn't surprised about the game not being popular, you bash CU in a Tera thread. At least bash CU in a CU thread.

• spacehopper8spacehopper8 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Myself and 2 friends started playing a few weeks ago - all of us frequent MMO players on various games.

We're actually really enjoying it at the moment.

Yes, there are generic grindy moments. Crafting / enchanting is completely pointless until endgame. The quest system is linear and badly implemented (the whole back-and-forth hub system). Combat isn't as fluid as you'd like it to be. The game is by no means perfect.

However:

As a 3-man team, we can kill 5-man monsters at-level by playing sensibly. We happily ploughed through the first dungeon as a 3some, once again at a relevent level, and were successful. Killing lots of things at once is fun, and the game allows that frequently. Fights aren't just a basic tank-n-spank in a single spot with no movement like in so many of the older games.

Admittedly, we're only in our mid 20's level-wise, so it could get worse - but for a game we've not had to pay for, i really cant complain. We've encountered no bugs or issues either, unlike what someone else was saying about the game being "broken".

Oh - and we've skipped every single repeatable quest so far - and we're still ahead of the XP curve. If you don't like repeating quests - don't do them....

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Tera is a western style quest grinder like WoW, sending the player from quest hub to quest hub. You must have played a different game if you played an asian grind fest. Getting to max level takes about a week (if you know what you do and got the time ofc). With your 3 days of play time I would be in the level 4x range.

LFG!
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think it was a good move for F2P, I still play the game here and there. My only gripe is that the fixes that I wanted to see happen never did. I think if you mix that in with the Ktera hiccups you have your result.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

It will be interesting to see how many people say that for CU, if it ever even funds (the trendline isn't looking good).  I mean you bought a game without doing any research (YouTube, forums, etc) and then walked away disappointed that it wasn't how you imagined it to be.  That is exactly what is happening with CU.  Except you felt the need to shit on another game with some shallow racist comments about asian grinding too.

The game is Korean.  Koreans have different tastes in gaming.  Didn't you consider that when you purchased?

Dear sir,

Please try to understand, that I do not shot on other games. I told my opinion. If you mean my opinion is invalid and shitty, well... Then sorry for breathing sir?

Tera feels and looks like typical asian grind games to me.

I reached 20. Repeat quests and grind was on the menu, which I got really tired of (Sorry for my shit there, you know).

It feels like another typical MMO for me.

- Nice graphics

- Big boobs everywhere

- Insane grind.

I describe this game as a Asian MMORPG

Taken from Wikipedia:

"South Korea is a presidential republic consisting of seventeen administrative divisions and is a developed country with a very high standard of living. It is Asia's fourth largest economy and the world's 15th (nominal) or 12th (purchasing power parity) largest economy"

Wikipedia disagrees with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea

I wouldn't comment on your CU bashing. I answered why I wasn't surprised about the game not being popular, you bash CU in a Tera thread. At least bash CU in a CU thread.

Tera has HARDLY any grind what so ever. You don't have to do a single repeat quest and you'll still hit 60 2 zones before you run out of areas to quest in. There is NEVER a level where you run out of quests to do so you never have to buckle down and grind.

You can literally get lvl 60 in 5 days easy using xp boosts on a new players budget by taking down the bams exclusively and forgoing quests completely(tho you should do the story quests, they give amazing exp) In fact thats what most people do. they skip all the zone quests, and only do the story quests and dungeons once, then kill bams the rest of the way.

But you are right, it is just another typical mmo, and has alot of issues that are left forgotten and alot of bad game designs(not counting the quests system as they gave you other ways to level than just the quests)

Also, what was your point posting all that info on Korea from wikipedia? That says shit all about what korean's tastes in games are compared to ours.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Perhaps when people say Tera is a grind, what they mean is a lot of the quests are simply to kill X amount of monsters.  Saying that it's not a grind because you take the quest from an NPC is kind of misleading.  You're still grinding mobs.

Ah, good point.  Yes, I'd probably say the quests just had lacklustre objectives instead of a grind.  The problem with making the text "interesting" or contextual is that with a system like TERA's where you can immediately see what you have to do and where, there's absolutely no incentive to actually read the quest text.  I read some of it too, and the story doesn't seem half bad, but most people aren't going to see even a tiny portion of it, instead doing what most people eventually started doing in WoW: hitting Accept and looking at the map.  GW2 avoided that by making the story play out as the event unfolded, something quest-text MMO's should take into consideration if they want people to see the writing quality behind their games.

Though now that I think about it, when you complete a heart in GW2, you get an in-game email from an NPC about it.  Sadly, I never really read those either....... except the ones from the skritt because those are always amusing.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Perhaps when people say Tera is a grind, what they mean is a lot of the quests are simply to kill X amount of monsters.  Saying that it's not a grind because you take the quest from an NPC is kind of misleading.  You're still grinding mobs.

That's not really the definition of grind though.  Grind is a repetitive task that is the only option to gain the desired reward.  The quests being described as boring or uninspired is probably more accurate.  I've read some interesting quest lines and I think EME tried to make them as interesting as possible, but they aren't really that deep.

It doesn't have a lot of grind though.  The leveling curve isn't quick like Rift, but more along the lines of EQ2, LotRO, or even GW2.  I can make a couple levels in an eveing if I want to just like GW2.  I pick up quests along the way and sometimes read the text and sometimes just complete the objectives.

After experiencing GW2 dynamic events and heart quests all the old style questing systems feel the same to me.  It's no worse than D&D:Neverwinter's quest system, or LotRO, or any of the others.  EQ2 is probably the only old style quest system that stands out to me.

Also, sorry everyone for saying bad things about CU.  I got a ding for that.

nah to me grind means to do over and over again the same thing to lvl up (or gear up). it doesnt matter if a quest sends me to kill 100 mobs or if i go on my own. both are grind. so yeah lvlin in tera is alot of grind.

btw eme has nothin to do with the quest design, they are only the publisher in na. bluehole is the developer and they are the ones makin those crappy quests.

• Ungwe_LiantiUngwe_Lianti Member UncommonPosts: 9
    It seem to have gotten alot more love since F2P, when i played it arround a day or so after release and the whole month that was included, it was quite empty then. Logged in again yesterday and it felt like a different game. I like Tera it's nice looking, sexy and acctually a good and different mmo for a change.
  • daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

Well the game is bad in general. A action rpg with no real action combat. Auto attacking left click, cant move and attack which means its not actual action. No combos with attacks. It is a hotkey game where you use your left mouse button to auto attack.  The content is generic. There is nothing unique about the game that other games dont have. Graphics are great but once the shine wears off the game is just bad. 

Perhaps if the game were f2p upon release it might have gotten more publicity but its not good. 

Originally posted by Ungwe_Lianti
    I like Tera it's nice looking, sexy and acctually a good and different mmo for a change.

Noooooope.