Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Patch 5.3 Reactions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently, the World of Warcraft v5.3 patch went into effect bringing with it a lot of important changes and additions to the game. In our latest WoW Factor, we take a look at those additions and changes and offer our opinion. Check it out and then let us know what you think of the patch in the comments. 

While Patch 5.2 has us dealing with the return of the Thunder King and preventing his tyrannical reign over Pandaria, 5.3 brings the focus back to Kalimdor. Before Mists of Pandaria launched, Blizzard had stated several times that this expansion cycle would culminate with some sort of assault on Orgrimmar and now Patch 5.3 has players making preparations for this offensive. If you’ve been playing through the Mists of Pandaria content, you’re no doubt aware that many factions are not pleased with Garrosh and his role as warchief. The Darkspear Trolls have decided that enough is enough and have declared a rebellion against Garrosh. 

Read more of Rezza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Patch 5.3 Reactions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

So Garrosh is going mad with power and has begun imprisoning trolls in areas surrounding Orgrimmar.

I wonder if we'll have any posters or MMORPG.com "news" stories praising WoW for advancing the game's "living story"?

Heh, yeah, not a chance.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    There is alot to do , to much almost. Great game but its time for me to move on, 5.3 has been cool so far but im finding I have a short attention span nowadays especially since 5.3 hit. I think this is what it feels like when things feel to grindy.
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

So we are lead to believe the alliance would help the rebels vs garrosh? Why exactly? What would the alliance gain by this? Imo it feels incredibly forced.

The alliance should and would probably just sit idle by and watch them crush eachother, then wipe out the winner.

Sigh.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Everket

So we are lead to believe the alliance would help the rebels vs garrosh? Why exactly? What would the alliance gain by this? Imo it feels incredibly forced.

The alliance should and would probably just sit idle by and watch them crush eachother, then wipe out the winner.

Sigh.

Everyone wants Garrosh gone, simple as that. The Alliance believe the Horde will be weaker without Garrosh. If they leave them to it, Garrosh might win and remain in power or they might all just make friends again. If the Alliance help, Garrosh will certainly lose. Would a military leader really ignore the opportunity to have some extra help in taking out the leader of the Horde? The Alliance is trying to take some control of the situation, so they can manipulate the outcome in thier favor instead of just leaving it up to fate. What's left after 'should' be easy for the Alliance to mop up.. but I'm sure there's a twist in store for us.

But be realistic.. there's a game going on here. Neither side can ever win... otherwise the game would have to end.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It's the same reason America supplied the Taliban with weapons to fight the Russians...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    There is alot to do , to much almost. Great game but its time for me to move on, 5.3 has been cool so far but im finding I have a short attention span nowadays especially since 5.3 hit. I think this is what it feels like when things feel to grindy.

Then maybe you should leave the Test Realm  with 5.3 and play on a Live Realm with 5.2....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

players can now choose what class specialization they want to receive loot for regardless of which specialization is currently active. For example, if I queue up for a Raid Finder raid as a Warrior Tank, I can choose to receive loot for the Arms specialization should I be lucky enough to get a drop.

Its shit like this that ruins the game experience.

Main spec / offspec courtesy system is flawless. If you decide to run as a tank, they you shouldn't not have to compete with everyone for tanking gear. if you dps you shouldn't have to roll against tanks for dps. Its just plain stupidity.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by Nitth

players can now choose what class specialization they want to receive loot for regardless of which specialization is currently active. For example, if I queue up for a Raid Finder raid as a Warrior Tank, I can choose to receive loot for the Arms specialization should I be lucky enough to get a drop.

Main spec / offspec courtesy system is flawless. If you decide to run as a tank, they you shouldn't not have to compete with everyone for tanking gear. if you dps you shouldn't have to roll against tanks for dps. Its just plain stupidity.

Yeah I'm on the fence about this too... but there was nothing really in place to stop anyone in a group from selecting "Need", right?

I think the main issue this fixes is that DPS is the most popular spec. Now though, DPSers will have no problem tanking or healing occasionally if there is no other option because they can still get the loot they want.

It also allows people who are only geared for, say, DPS to get geared for tanking and healing.. without providing sub-par tanking and healing for thier group in the mean time.

The end result should be that more people are wiling to use and are properly geared for both thier specs. That benefits everyone imo. I don't see it as a bad thing.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

you dont even know the loot mechanic of LFR...

you dont compete against specs but against players. you roll with the other 24 of the group. if you win, no matter your role, the game will give an item relevant to your role in the group. picked by the loot pool of the boss ofc.

now its WAY better. you can join LFR the spec you like and deside what kind of gear you want to have if you win. you dont compete same specs, you compete players.

thats another clever move. way to go blizz :)

Originally posted by Manolios

you dont compete against specs but against players. you roll with the other 24 of the group. if you win, no matter your role, the game will give an item relevant to your role in the group. picked by the loot pool of the boss ofc.

now its WAY better. you can join LFR the spec you like and deside what kind of gear you want to have if you win. you dont compete same specs, you compete players.

Great answer and just another example of how people like to bitch and complain about things when they don't even know how or why they work.

Originally posted by Psychow

Great answer and just another example of how people like to bitch and complain about things when they don't even know how or why they work.

Most people that hate on WoW these days don't even know anything about it anymore.

Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Vannor

Most people that hate on WoW these days don't even know anything about it anymore.

Sometimes it is the lack of knowledge that causes hate.

half knowledge is worse than no knowledge at all

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Guess its interesting what they are doing... to bad every step forward with wow has taken more and more exponentially further steps back with each expansion. It sounds fancy but when in practice it might just be rather poor.

Considering the butchering of talents, classes being trivialized, raids being trivialized, and general miss-steps back all over the place, It just doesn't deserve being played at all, not when theres so many games out there that haven't gone about dumbing down things to such a massive degree that it feels insulting to my intelegence.

You were fun WoW back in Vanilla, TBC, and even to some extent WOTLK (least up to ulduar), but every expansion released (minus TBC) took more steps back then forward to the point I just have no desire to play you.

*raises glass* Thanks for the fun but I have a near 0 chance I'll ever play you again. You did keep me company for several years and I salute you for your efforts. Not even nostologia might not be able to bring me back due to your choices like other games but I still will hold a soft spot for you in my memories. 

Originally posted by Purutzil

Guess its interesting what they are doing... to bad every step forward with wow has taken more and more exponentially further steps back with each expansion. It sounds fancy but when in practice it might just be rather poor.

Considering the butchering of talents, classes being trivialized, raids being trivialized, and general miss-steps back all over the place, It just doesn't deserve being played at all, not when theres so many games out there that haven't gone about dumbing down things to such a massive degree that it feels insulting to my intelegence.

You were fun WoW back in Vanilla, TBC, and even to some extent WOTLK (least up to ulduar), but every expansion released (minus TBC) took more steps back then forward to the point I just have no desire to play you.

*raises glass* Thanks for the fun but I have a near 0 chance I'll ever play you again. You did keep me company for several years and I salute you for your efforts. Not even nostologia might not be able to bring me back due to your choices like other games but I still will hold a soft spot for you in my memories. 

hundreds, or even better, millions of good games out there i would say. bored to play every day a new great game.

i need something less of quality, thats why i get back to wow every time. me and some more millions players too.

btw may i have a small list of those games? just to have them in mind pls.

ty :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Gah I still haven't got a toon up to 90 and I have NO idea what to start doing at 90 once I do.

Scenarios? Heroics? Dailies? For the first time in forever and an age WoW is kind of confusing.

Most of the hate on WoW these days is ignorance I think.

People see the talent trees and say "they are butchered" but they now require more debate and greater freedom of choice than ever before in my 8-9+ years playing the game on and off.

People say raids are trivialized, but they haven't touched anything other than a LFR group.

And how are classes trivialized? The differences between my toons of various classes is far, far greater than the similarities.

I am waiting for my "next" MMO to dedicate years to. It hasn't come out yet. No idea if it ever will. But after all this time and many stops/restarts, I'm still enjoying WoW more than any other MMO in the past almost decade.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Problem you will have spock is that more than any other time in history of wow, the gear inflation has destroyed any fun you could have in secarios,heroics,lfr raids,normal.  You literally stomp through instances en masse ignoring every event and aoe everythin g.  Only heroic raids remain challenging,so back to the same old same old repeating bosses over and over etc as your main outlet rfor fun. This puts emphasis on dailies as your non raid activities - endless waves of them that everyone is sick to death of.  Finally, blizzard continue to stumble from 1 balancing crisis to another (just read mmo champion - blizz are consumed by 'balancing' rather than content)

ps I have hope for Titan :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Problem you will have spock is that more than any other time in history of wow, the gear inflation has destroyed any fun you could have in secarios,heroics,lfr raids,normal. 

It is indeed the major problem with WoW the gear treadmll at endgame means that if you play on after getting to 90 then you are simply chasing gear upgrades till you get to the hardcore mode. 

Originally posted by BadSpock

Gah I still haven't got a toon up to 90 and I have NO idea what to start doing at 90 once I do.

Scenarios? Heroics? Dailies? For the first time in forever and an age WoW is kind of confusing.

One of the first things you will want to do is get yourself a decent weapon. The easiest way to do this is to do the Arena of Anhiliation scenario. You can/should specifically queue for it. Once inside you can grab the lone quest that will reward you with an ilvl 450 weapon.

Dalies are improtant too because they tie into the various factions. Probably the most important one to get started on is the Golden Lotus faction because as your reputation with them increases, other factions will become unlocked (yay! ... ) Still, it gives you things to do and work toward. You can't spend your Valor Points on items unless you have reached the required reputation level with these factions.

Once your gear level hits 460...do the LFR raids.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Wait, what happened to Thrall?
    Originally posted by BadSpock

One of the first things you will want to do is get yourself a decent weapon. The easiest way to do this is to do the Arena of Anhiliation scenario. You can/should specifically queue for it. Once inside you can grab the lone quest that will reward you with an ilvl 450 weapon.

Dalies are improtant too because they tie into the various factions. Probably the most important one to get started on is the Golden Lotus faction because as your reputation with them increases, other factions will become unlocked (yay! ... ) Still, it gives you things to do and work toward. You can't spend your Valor Points on items unless you have reached the required reputation level with these factions.

Once your gear level hits 460...do the LFR raids.

A solid plan, for progression. If your aim is to have fun first and foremost though nad you're in no rush to raid.. there's all the dungeons you might not have done, heroic dungeons as well. Mastering some tradeskills. Mount collecting. Battle pet collecting. Playing around with the farm.. questing in the zones you might not have done (some have excellent storylines), challenges, doing all the scenarios, visiting the Lorewalkers, endgame PVP can net you some decent starting endgame gear pretty quickly, doing the new incoming herioc scenarios, run some of the the old world raids.. solo (decent way to get extra cash and check out some more lore), achievement hunting (if you enjoy that), doing the Isle of Thunder.. plus other things i can't think of off the top of my head.

Originally posted by Homitu
    Wait, what happened to Thrall?

He's now the Earth-Warder of Azeroth. (he's taken the place of deathwing).

Right now, he's begun to retake the Horde, secretly. He may or may not become the next warchief though.. that's not set in stone. There are hints that he won't be.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by KingofHartz

Then maybe you should leave the Test Realm  with 5.3 and play on a Live Realm with 5.2....

Exactly, why are you spending all of your time on the test realm if your attention span is already lacking?

5.2 only just went live recently.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This is the darkest, and most in depth expansion WoW has ever seen. People just love looking for a reason to hate on it in this forum, great job though blizzard.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    the only insult to your intelligence was your mispelling of intelligence

twitch.tv/boonmackle