Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$1+ (even if you are on the fence it shows your interest!)

Comments

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by supergfunk
    And also, why even post if you are not willing to even consider pledging?  What's the point? just to flame the OP?  Pledge or don't pledge, but don't harrass the OP for speaking out for something he believes in.....

Ahem.

Nobody is flaming.  Also, it is not your perogative to tell others to pledge or get out.  There are people who are reading and listening to what is going on who are potential paying customers to MJ's project.  Unfortunately, what I have been hearing lately is a lot of borderline elitism of Backers vs non-backers and a lot of use of the word "troll" to describe people who, though interested, are critical and somewhat skeptical.  Frankly, the attitude is turning me off.

I get that there is excitement.  There should be!  However, as mentioned, you are preaching to the converted here as far as a venue for fundraising.  You need to expand your audience.  Go to other fansites, talk to people that write gaming articles, find out where the old DAoC players hang out and pitch to them.  This is a limited venue and aside from the dedicated community that already exists, no one knows about it.  Go hither and spread the word.

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by tinuelle
    Originally posted by Purutzil

What will combat be like? - I get the feeling from your posts that you've decided long ago not to have anything to do with this game. However, I feel like your questions are valid, so I'll bite.

Combat? It is my impression that it will be something like DAoC (think: positionals, chains, and no GCD), meets WoW for fluidity, and GW2 for *possibly* only being able to slot a certain number of skills). Supposedly there will be many, many, many skills to choose from.

What classes will the game have? The class names themselves have not yet been announced, but each realm will have a tank, healer, damage dealer, support, and crafter class to start. They are planning on trying to do something new with a stealth class, but it will be much later down the road or possibly be implemented via a stretch goal if that is met.

How are they going to balance things like stealth? See the above answer. From the interviews and daily updates that Mark has given via video on the Kickstarter pages and their official website, Stealth is something that they are treating very, very, carefully due to balance issues. So much so that a stealth class will most likely not even be implemented into the game initially.

Will there be PvE or not? Will PvE simply be considered the doors and what not? Will there be an abundance of PvE that simply yield no loot and such? - This is the most annoying question on your list of questions, due to the fact that a 20 second read on any random thread on any of the forums where this game is being discussed would have answered this for you immediately. No, there will not be PvE as you know it. There will not be an abundance of PvE mobs, and what little PvE mobs there will be (such as ambient mobs to make the world feel *alive* or NPC guards and such) will drop no loot. Since there is NO LEVELING VIA PvE, killing a PvE mob will yield you pretty much nothing.

They have a pure crafter class... will these characters be excluded from PvP? They have said RvR is all there is, how do crafters fit into that? - The crafter classes will NOT be excluded from PvP, and again, this is another lazy question. If you bother to read even 10 minutes, you can find plenty of info out there on the concept of these classes which will be vital to the realms success. They will be crafting armor, weapons, seige, consumables, etc. But more importantly, they will be the ones building / modifying / repairing / designing, etc. the keeps / houses and forts that you are either trying to defend or trying to burn down. They will most likley rely heavily on support to help them get what they need for materials via RvR, but as a protector you will need their crafting skills to build your weapons / armor / seige, etc., to defend them. Very synergistic.

They have claimed this is the developer thats going to take risks, yet they aren't going to take the risk of investing their own money until they know fans are going to fund it first. How am I to believe them that they are going to take risk? - Honestly, you don't. However, in whose interest would it be to fail to back their end of the deal should the funding be met? Let's just say the worst case scenario happened in that the game funded, and for some unknown and highly illogical reason MJ decided not to hold up his end of the deal. His studio would pretty much cease to exist from that point on. His failure to hold up his end of the bargain would be worldwide gaming news within minutes, and not only would his company be crushed into oblivion (read, no purchasers, no backers, no funding ever again), he personally would not ever work in this industry again. It makes no fiscal sense to back out on doing what he says he will do if the game funds when he stands to become even more successful than he already is financially by completing the game.

Will there be a cash shop? - No. Another lazy question that you could have found out for yourself if you bothered to take a few minutes. MJ has repeatedly stated that there will be NO CASH SHOP. There will be a Founders Points store. This store is SOLELY for those of us who backed the kickstarter. Once the Kickstarter is done and the FPs are dried up, there will be no more.

How does the world look? - See concept art. Read any one of several articles explaining the post-apocolyptic feel of the lands.

Is the game plauged by invisible walls? - Huh? Considering the kickstarter funding is so that the game can be developed, who the hell knows?

With RvR being all there is to do, will this basically boil down to a rumble in the center of the map? - Lazy lazy lazy. RvR is a huge component of the game, but if you're smart and socially adept at all, it is far from the only thing to do.

How much character customization is there? - Lots of skills, but if you're talking cosmetically. Again, grasp the concept that the funding is so that this game can be developed with the heavy influence and input of the players who are backing the game.

Is this going to be one "Mega Server" or are there going to be multiple servers? How many per server? How many people can be on your screen at one time? - This is a good question, and one for Andrew. They are currently working on their networking technology and Andrew gave us a couple of really cool demos that again, if you bothered  to take ANY time at all to review, you would have seen.

With this game lacking PvE and pretty much being RvR focused how is it going to be a sandbox? What mechanics and features are they adding to flesh out the sandbox? - Ask EVE players why they play and if they're ever "bored" from a lack of PvE. The sandbox is what the players make of it, simple as that. There will be a high interaction rate required for success unlike today's Massivly Multiplayer Single player online Gameing where you don't need to interact with anyone at all, ever. You should know that people behave in unpredictable ways for unrecognizable personal interests, motives, and gains. That alone can create a very immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.

How is itemization and "Leveling" going to affect balance? Will a new player be able to hold their own against long time vets? Is this focused more on player skill or stats and gear? - Lazy. Just lazy. Learn to read. This has been asked and answered in several interviews and Q & As already.

Besides Mark Jacobs and Andrew Meggs the team doesn't seem like they have worked on much relating to something of this size and scope. With nothing to show, what makes you confident this team is going to deliver the game you want to play? I say the game you want because you couldn't possibly have enough information to know what they intend to or are capable of developing. - A little game called Dark Age of Camelot came onto the scene with a staff of 12 - 20, and funding of $2.5 million dollars. If anyone else OTHER than Mark Jacobs were to try such a thing, I would probably shrug them off. But the fact is, this isn't his first time around the block (both for good and for bad), and if anyone can pull it off, it is someone who has done it before and who has learned what not to do from previous mistakes made. I do not doubt their capability in any way.

What exactly are you hoping this game will be, what are you basing your hopes on. - This answer will vary widely from person to person, but I can tell you what I'm hoping for. A world where I am thrilled to "discover" my enemy, learn from experience what capabilities their classes bring to the table from battlefield experience. No communication or cross realming, pride and teamwork matter. A tight-knit community like DAoC with the fluidity of WoW / GW2 and for the first time, someone giving us the performance of truly being able to handle massive amounts of players / animations / spells, etc., on the battlefield without culling, lagging out, instancing, or otherwise shitty implementations in a persistent world where my actions and decisions matter both for my character and my realm.

I have looked at as much of the information as I could find, the problem is besides a few core ideas there doesn't seem to be much information out there. All I keep seeing, hearing, and reading is Please fund this game if you like old school games and RvR. - No, you haven't. Either that, or you haven't looked for more than 10 seconds or beyond 2 threads in this forum, or else most of your questions would have been answered as easily for you as it was easy for me to answer them for you. I didn't even have to flip back and forth through the Foundational Principles, Interviews, Q&As or other forum threads (which is where every single answer came from by the way), I simply paid attention.

For all I know I am funding a stick animation game with RvR between Blue stick figures, Green Stick figures, and Black Stick Figures with the possibility of having red stick figures for PvE. - Again, lazy lazy lazy assumptions and an obvious failure to view the Development teams already working prototypes for both the TDD and Viking races.

The fact that you claim not to be able to find any of these answers when they've been out there in everyone's face for the last several weeks if not longer is what gives your Troll away. Face it, you have zero interest in true RvR / PvP, and in this game. That is perfectly fine and that is your decision. Feel free to skip it and skip all of the threads on it.

But since you are here, I encourage you to actually do what you claim to do, and research the huge amount of information that has already been provided from MJ himself, along with Andrew, watch the videos, read the threads of this forum / reddit / massively / any other site with an open mind for once and understand the importance of Kickstarter funding for indie games whether it be this one or not.

If you are happy settling for the pure publisher-driven piles of shit, then by all means, keep on trolling. You're not only hurting this game, but you are potentially setting up a game / genre that YOU love for nothing but failure as well.

As someone pointed out,  $1 or $5 dollars to find out shouldn't break you or compromise your stand against supporting something you have taken next to no time to learn about on your own now that I've helped you out a bit.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Im one of those people also not pledging even a dollar because the game is missing parts that I feel like make a game great and what made daoc great. I follow this forum daily and I hope that Mark succeeds for sure with this but unless they decide to add in some pve also Im not going to back it or play it myself Im pretty sure. I loved DAOC myself and played it for years but I also enjoyed some of the trials in TOA also and did a lot of pve raids in cear sidi for example also , I also enjoyed killing players on my infiltrator in darkness falls. All those things will be missing from CU and thats why I do not invest money in a game just because it has the name camelot in it like so many people here.
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    And also, why even post if you are not willing to even consider pledging?  What's the point? just to flame the OP?  Pledge or don't pledge, but don't harrass the OP for speaking out for something he believes in.....

Ahem.

Nobody is flaming.  Also, it is not your perogative to tell others to pledge or get out.  There are people who are reading and listening to what is going on who are potential paying customers to MJ's project.  Unfortunately, what I have been hearing lately is a lot of borderline elitism of Backers vs non-backers and a lot of use of the word "troll" to describe people who, though interested, are critical and somewhat skeptical.  Frankly, the attitude is turning me off.

I get that there is excitement.  There should be!  However, as mentioned, you are preaching to the converted here as far as a venue for fundraising.  You need to expand your audience.  Go to other fansites, talk to people that write gaming articles, find out where the old DAoC players hang out and pitch to them.  This is a limited venue and aside from the dedicated community that already exists, no one knows about it.  Go hither and spread the word.

As a self-admitted "fan-girl" and backer myself, I entirely agree with this sentiment. Quite frankly, I've been rather embarrassed at the quality of posts coming from here re: the begging and hand-wringing, the baiting and the bashing. Its rather ridiculous and if I weren't such a huge fan-girl I would have instantly been turned off by some who are.

It isn't doing us any favors, and I hope that there will be enough of you to consider pledging even a small amount despite some of what you've seen on here. In our excitement, we have apparently completely lost our wits and manners.

Please accept my apologies.

Originally posted by cronius77
    Im one of those people also not pledging even a dollar because the game is missing parts that I feel like make a game great and what made daoc great. I follow this forum daily and I hope that Mark succeeds for sure with this but unless they decide to add in some pve also Im not going to back it or play it myself Im pretty sure. I loved DAOC myself and played it for years but I also enjoyed some of the trials in TOA also and did a lot of pve raids in cear sidi for example also , I also enjoyed killing players on my infiltrator in darkness falls. All those things will be missing from CU and thats why I do not invest money in a game just because it has the name camelot in it like so many people here.

I understand your decision not to back the game because you don't believe it will be something that you enjoy playing without the PvE element. The only thing I would ever ask you to consider is this:

Pledge $1. Not because you want to play the game, but because you understand that the next Kickstarter game might be the very game that YOU want to play with all of the elements you are hoping to see in that game, and because you recognize that in order to keep that game true to what you and the developers hope for it to be you will need to keep publisher hands such as EA or NCSoft's hands off of it.

It isn't a pledge to support MJ, CSE, or even the game itself, it is a pledge of solidarity in a belief that ALL of us share regardless of our opinions about MJ / CSE / DAoC / ToA / WAR, etc, believe, which is that developers need to and must do better, and cannot do so with their hands shackled and their legs bound by the publishers.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Edany

I understand your decision not to back the game because you don't believe it will be something that you enjoy playing without the PvE element. The only thing I would ever ask you to consider is this:

Pledge $1. Not because you want to play the game, but because you understand that the next Kickstarter game might be the very game that YOU want to play with all of the elements you are hoping to see in that game, and because you recognize that in order to keep that game true to what you and the developers hope for it to be you will need to keep publisher hands such as EA or NCSoft's hands off of it.

It isn't a pledge to support MJ, CSE, or even the game itself, it is a pledge of solidarity in a belief that ALL of us share regardless of our opinions about MJ / CSE / DAoC / ToA / WAR, etc, believe, which is that developers need to and must do better, and cannot do so with their hands shackled and their legs bound by the publishers.

Very well said!

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    no worries, MJ will throw the reminder of the money needed by the end of the month; now don't expect this game to be released in 2014, at least we can plan in advance (new PC, look for guild, dump gf/bf, etc...)
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

HAHAHA wow. "pledge because you understand that the next kickstarter game might be the very game YOU want to play?"  so waste my money on something that I don't  want to hope that maybe it sends a message to somebody else that they might be able to make the game I want if a million other factors go their way?

I like what publishers do for games. Look at Duke Nukem. the publishers just let them run wild, and take 10000 years to make their game, and it was horrible. somebody has to keep a reign on idea men to make sure that something, you know, GETS FINISHED. without publishers my favorite games of all time would have had very little chance of being made, so I see no reason to believe a man with a dream and a couple thousand people can fund and craft a game better than a developer can. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Originally posted by pantheron

HAHAHA wow. "pledge because you understand that the next kickstarter game might be the very game YOU want to play?"  so waste my money on something that I don't  want to hope that maybe it sends a message to somebody else that they might be able to make the game I want if a million other factors go their way?

I like what publishers do for games. Look at Duke Nukem. the publishers just let them run wild, and take 10000 years to make their game, and it was horrible. somebody has to keep a reign on idea men to make sure that something, you know, GETS FINISHED. without publishers my favorite games of all time would have had very little chance of being made, so I see no reason to believe a man with a dream and a couple thousand people can fund and craft a game better than a developer can. 

If spending $1 on a Kickstarter is more than pocket change to you and a 'waste' then I have no further words or arguments to make, you've got enough problems in life of your own without concerns of a video game. If you can't see the logic of taking 100% of the power away from publishers like EA and the few others that are out there in order to give the developers a little more freedom or a little more control over their vision to try new innovations that aren't the same tired WoW formula then neither I nor anyone else on this planet will convince you. That is fine too.

'Duke Nukem' was not an MMORPG, so no, I don't look at Duke Nukem as any type of comparison. I also agree historically about publishers putting out some favorite old games. Too bad there hasn't been anything that wasn't a stale re-tread in the last 6 - 8 years of MMOs with very few exceptions. What could have been great niche games were forced to cater their games to the masses, with massive budgets and demands and expectations for massive returns which are completely unrealistic and factors heavily into their failure. They will never out-WoW WoW.

As a lot of people have said, if you can't stand the thought of throwing in a buck to support innovation because it's a waste, why bother posting on here to bash? 

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110

"Mark" gets no interest from me until he realeases a game worth investing money into.

Have you people learned NOTHING from the last 10 years or does the population of this website turn over daily?

Originally posted by papabear151

"Mark" gets no interest from me until he realeases a game worth investing money into. - This is an honest response and one I understand. You're completely entitled to feel this way imo without being called stupid. The rest of us what would like to take a chance and throw in a small amount with the belief that:

1) people can learn from their past mistakes and grow from them

2) MJ is the only developer in the MMO genre that first, created RvR, then second, came remotely close to it with WAR (even though I thought several aspect of WAR sucked ASS and I wanted to smash his face in for them)

3) MJ was not the only person responsible for that steaming pile of shit, he has recognized his other steaming piles of shit and acknowledged them. (I'm personally waiting for videos of the pies in the face myself)

4) I have learned in the past 10 years that WoW came in and brought some really cool elements into the MMO genre, and cashed in on lightning in a bottle. I have learned that since that time, MMO developers have failed to stray from trying to copy their formula which has left us with a decade of heaping steaming piles of shit.

5) I am supporting a niche game and taking a chance in order to avoid further aggravation with point number 4.

It has nothing to do with being stupid at all, no matter how much you think we are.

Have you people learned NOTHING from the last 10 years or does the population of this website turn over daily?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

An RvR pvp only game just sounds boring and not even worth the buck.

I feel that way about MMO's that tack PvP/RvR onto a PvE centric game. AKA almost every MMO on the market.

So you agree that an RvR pvp only game isn't worth the buck?

People want to hate on my viewpoint but it is valid. I don't see the game going far, the market isn't even niche. It is riding off the temporary name and once great dev MJ.

A niche market for PvP centric games are not RvR. Atleast if you call yourself a pvper, you want player created factions. There is nothing that beats the thrill of which old or even new enemy is going to stab you in the back.

Now this is all opinion that I state as fact, however this is how I see things. However I doubt i'll see another game that isn't RvR, as people can't handle not knowing who the enemy is.

MJ is certainly an interesting developer, but yes we have to take a step back and see what we see.  

CU will be amazing simply based on the fact that Warhammer was amazing.  Everyone who loved Warhammer will contribute to this game because Warhammer was the game that rivaled WoW and did a really good job.  I mean Warhammer still rocks.

It's not just a game.. it's about the gods that make it.  Warhammer Online was a gem.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Karteli

I feel that way about MMO's that tack PvP/RvR onto a PvE centric game. AKA almost every MMO on the market.

People want to hate on my viewpoint but it is valid. I don't see the game going far, the market isn't even niche. It is riding off the temporary name and once great dev MJ.

A niche market for PvP centric games are not RvR. Atleast if you call yourself a pvper, you want player created factions. There is nothing that beats the thrill of which old or even new enemy is going to stab you in the back.

Now this is all opinion that I state as fact, however this is how I see things. However I doubt i'll see another game that isn't RvR, as people can't handle not knowing who the enemy is.

Warhammer Online was a gem.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Except

1.  The hand shackling only comes from big budget games.   Low budget games are usually free of that sort of thing.

2.  Kickstarter is irrelevant to big budget games because it will never be able to reach the amount of funding to get even a medium budget game like EQ2 made

3.  Since small budget games have typically been free of corporate interference anyway (as said in point 1) donating to make a point is (IMO) rather silly.  Back Camelot Unchained.  Dont back some misguided idealism.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Telondariel

Ahem.

As a self-admitted "fan-girl" and backer myself, I entirely agree with this sentiment. Quite frankly, I've been rather embarrassed at the quality of posts coming from here re: the begging and hand-wringing, the baiting and the bashing. Its rather ridiculous and if I weren't such a huge fan-girl I would have instantly been turned off by some who are.

It isn't doing us any favors, and I hope that there will be enough of you to consider pledging even a small amount despite some of what you've seen on here. In our excitement, we have apparently completely lost our wits and manners.

Please accept my apologies.

I agree with those posts

I admit i went may have had this kind of behaviour, please pardon me.

For me, it is PvE that sound boring and not even worth the buck. There is no difference between a PvE MMO and a console game with multiplayer online option. Once you went and saw the story, then you move on to the next one.

I'm not sure what you meant with "A niche market for PvP centric games are not RvR", i just don't get what you were trying to say. Did you mean PvP is differet than RvR? Than there isn't enough people to call RvR games a niche?

Well, if you could clarify i could answer you on this.

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

"Niche Market" That is exactly why they are doing kickstarter. They are measuring the niche. So if you are interested in this niche, make a mark with a $1. If it works out you get a discount on the game, if it crashes and burns ina flaming pile of Light and Dark then you wasted 100 pennies.

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167
    Check under your couch cushions!  :)

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Except

1.  The hand shackling only comes from big budget games.   Low budget games are usually free of that sort of thing. Agreed. And CU in comparison to WAR, GW2, TSW, WoW, TESO, TERA, Wildstar, SWTOR, etc etc etc has a pretty tiny budget. But they won't be able to do it without help from us, the players. Their only other means of funding would be to go on hands and knees to those big publishers who would be happy to back their game - for a price that usually involves signing over IP, half of any proceeds, creative decision making, and a soul or two.

2.  Kickstarter is irrelevant to big budget games because it will never be able to reach the amount of funding to get even a medium budget game like EQ2 made - Kickstarter is irrelivant to big budget games in your context, but it is not irrelevant to game developers and gamers. MJ would never be allowed to stick to his vision and foundational principles without crowd funding if a publisher had their way. He would be forced to include PvE, add instanced PvP, forced to add an auction house and quests and on and on, all in order to sweep up the biggest amount of players (and hence dollars) that they can get their hands on.

They are happy to sacrifice the quality of the game to scoop up a few months worth of profit from the initial quantity of players. That is where Kickstarter makes a difference. It allows the devs to say 'duck you' so to speak to the developers and remain true to their vision.

3.  Since small budget games have typically been free of corporate interference anyway (as said in point 1) donating to make a point is (IMO) rather silly.  Back Camelot Unchained.  Dont back some misguided idealism. How many successful small budget MMOs have been released in the last 10 years? Every single one of them were developed with huge bloated budgets and when they couldn't get their RoI on those budgets in the first 6 months were deemed 'failures'. The problem is that short of MOBAs or unheard of games, there have been no successful small budget games, so the idea that a small budget game can be produced AND be successful because there are no EAs and Investors breathing down their necks is highly appealing, not misguided idealism.

• LeahXtwoLeahXtwo Member CommonPosts: 30

I RvRed in DAoC for Years. but I did not just RvR, so no PVE I will keep my money.. Just saying. 

Edit: To add if MJ thought this was going to be a good Successful game he would not be testing the waters with kickstarter.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People keep saying that big budgets is what killed MMO's from large companies and I say that is not true. Reality and what they could actually deliver in a timely manner is what happened to MMO's.

CU is a great example of what is being promised but no design has been put forth - much verbage (philosophy only. This is all well and good but then you look at the games that came out (SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2) and look at their philosphy versus what was delivered and the conclusion one can come up with is reality and what can actually be delivered reared it's ugly head. Not money, blah blah blah (conspiracy theories).

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

I have pledged $110, as soon as I could, but I am getting a bit annoyed by the constant sales pitch.  There is a pejorative for people that constantly spam "Selling xxx for just $1 USD" in a MMO, and the constant posts about it are getting to that point.  People will either back the KS right away, or they will wait until they are satisfied with the info that they are presented with, or they will not back the game. It is their choice and I respect that.

I think the sigs that people have are a great way to promote the game and KS, and I love some of the well argued pros and cons about some of the features/mechanics that have been talked about. However, the begging and what not is reaching the nuisance stage. It's almost like the TV commercials that jack the volume up 20dB ... just in case you can't hear it ...

I can't wait to actually see and play the game when it is finished, but I am not going to hawk the KS on a daily basis. People here seem to know about the game (kind of hard not to will all the posts) and will pledge when they want to or they won't.

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM

I have pledged $110, as soon as I could, but I am getting a bit annoyed by the constant sales pitch.  There is a pejorative for people that constantly spam "Selling xxx for just $1 USD" in a MMO, and the constant posts about it are getting to that point.  People will either back the KS right away, or they will wait until they are satisfied with the info that they are presented with, or they will not back the game. It is their choice and I respect that.

I think the sigs that people have are a great way to promote the game and KS, and I love some of the well argued pros and cons about some of the features/mechanics that have been talked about. However, the begging and what not is reaching the nuisance stage. It's almost like the TV commercials that jack the volume up 20dB ... just in case you can't hear it ...

I can't wait to actually see and play the game when it is finished, but I am not going to hawk the KS on a daily basis. People here seem to know about the game (kind of hard not to will all the posts) and will pledge when they want to or they won't.

I was trying to make a point with the original post that I hadn't really seen yet....maybe someone else had posted something similar before? My intention is not to sell the game with my original post, but to offer up another option to those who have doubts if they wish to back fully or not.

I have had some people tell me they never knew they could back with a $1 and then raise their contribution or cancel it later. There is still several people who were waiting for paychecks before backing, not realizing the money is taken at the end of the Kickstarter.

Anyway, in about 3 weeks, there won't be so much discussion about the Kickstarter because it will either have funded or not funded. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for those who wish to not keep seeing KS posts. Hang in there.  :)

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i am not. for a few reasons

1) warhammer online / MJ

2) getting burnt out on nothing but pvp, you have no backup on pve

3) pve adds variety to pvp

To me, this is just poor game design not to include any sort of pve.

• NcrediblebulkNcrediblebulk Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by miagisan

i am not. for a few reasons

1) warhammer online / MJ

2) getting burnt out on nothing but pvp, you have no backup on pve

3) pve adds variety to pvp

To me, this is just poor game design not to include any sort of pve.

One of the most important things about game design in general is keeping proper scope.  CSE being a indie developer  and wanting to have a realistic goal, I fail to see how it's bad game design when you are designing a niche game focused on PvP. Does this automatically exclude those who don't like to PvP or have to have a break from it like you suggest? Definitely in the first case unless they take to the crafting system and find they enjoy the rumored Darkness Falls area. The later may do the same or they may not. People who need to takes breaks from PvP can go elsewhere in the game or as Mark stated in an interview somewhere can just log off.

If CSE were making a traditional MMO you'd have a point, but this is honestly the first time I've seen a developer put PvP, and more importantly only PvP, before any other designed systems. Will there be burn out for some people? Chances are good, but the thing about always fighting against players is the possibility of uniqueness you can't get from scripted PvE events. Can you explain to me how you think PvE adds variety to PvP? It adds variety to a game, unless of course you meant something like Darkness Falls, which again it's creation is rumored.

PvP isn't the only thing one is going to be able to do in this game. Crafting will play a major role as will housing. If that's not for you then maybe you just want a game with PvE and PvP and if the rumored Darkness Falls area isn't enough then I'd say this game probably isn't for you which you seem to have stated. Your distaste for Warhammer and Mark can only be taken care of by you and himself but PvE certainly doesn't add variety to PvP nor do system to back up PvP not exist, at least in the current purposed state of the design of the game.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."