Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof CU is succeeding.

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,167Member Uncommon

It's stirring the pot, making people nervous, upsetting them, making them fear for their games, and the most obvious piece of evidence, it's brought out the trolls and flamers the likes of which I haven't seen since the dark ages of camping on forums.

If you aren't upsetting some people, you aren't doing anything right, press is press so I thank the trolls for giving this forum a click and getting more people interested in CU.

Why is CU so threatening? It's different, it's niche, it looks like it will not only challenge the established MMO developmental process, but even challenge what current MMOs are offering us. It might, I dare say, evolve this devolved genre and force some of the corporate games to step it up a bit. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for huge corporations with 200 million dollar MMO budgets to be outperformed by a niche game made for 5mill by 50 or less people?

If it does what I, and many others think it will, we will expect more from them, and they hate that idea. They like keeping us on the wheel chasing that carrot. They like 5 more levels with every expansion. They like us PVEing because they like appealing to the people that think of themselves as the hero of the server.

I don't like being TOLD I'm the hero, I like BECOMING the villain as I burn your village to the ground...or die trying. Either way I know I just had an experience, and gave you one, one they was unique to us, and not some scripted encounter that everyone who did the quest saw.

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member Uncommon
    I haven't felt like this about a games community since before GW2 was launched.
  • ShubawkssShubawkss Canton, GAPosts: 55Member
    I have a feeling CU is going to be incredibly toxic, probably similiar to League of Legends, just because of the elitist MMO community surrounding this game and circle jerking.
  • FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    I think its funny as hell. People really don't want games anymore, they have much more fun complaining about everything instead. You may be right, change or something new is always scary for the masses. They don't like things that are different, you can apply that to anything in the world besides games.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Granby, QCPosts: 470Member Uncommon

only half related, but enough to write this down....

I decided to visit some mmo site this weekend, or even here on My conclusion is simple : We, the mmorpg players are the worst customers possible lol.

Why ? well i thought of a few reasons...

(when i use the WE i mean it in a general way, not meaning that 100% are like that)

- Each of us have different ideas as to what makes a good mmorpg ( thats the obvious one)

- There is so many factors in an mmo, and we have very specific ideas about them, how they should work, if they should be there.

- We are all selfish bastards lol : every thing implemented / not implemented affects alot of the love or hate we have about the game. the things we like give i.e. a +1, the things we dont a -3 to a -5

On that last point, a lot of developpers tend to twist the truth to make us believe that there will be many +1, and little to no -3. I like how CSE is NOT doing that

The more games we are offered, the more difficult we become, because there is always the hope that next one we aim for will be THE one that we'll play for a long time, and more often than not we are disappointed.

And now, we have a ton of studios that wants to please us by making THE next new mmo. The problem is not ONLY a matter of if the game is good or not, because lets be honest, we do expect so many different things from an mmo, that, except for WoW (wich i still wonder why it such a big success, not saying its not good either, the numbers are there to prove its good, but its the exception), i think that every mmo should aim at being Niche, have more modest goals, but stick to one general type of players.

Sure, making a niche game comes with some risks, less profit, but they would cost less, and would have more chance to please enough players to live long.

Trying to please EVERY type of mmorpg players is a waste of time, as they are way too many types of players.We are the worst kind of customers, and yet, we ask the studios to be the best studios.

Some adjustements are required on both sides, or we're gonna hit a wall eventually.

Just a thought.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

its not the game that is creating the contraversy, sorry to say but i think the game itself sounds nice, what is creating contraversy is the kickstarters for it, and how so many people are hypeing it without anything to back it with but promeses we have all heard before.

so the point where people are clashing is due to people disagreement not over the game but the idea of throwing money at a game that hasnt even gotten past the idea stage.

also alot of the bashing of late is more and more cause a few threads like this one is made every hour and some of us are tired of seeing them.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member

By your definition every MMORPG made has succeeded then because everyone has had it's share of fearmongering,haters,trolls etc.

I wish CU every success if it gets funded and may even paly it myself if it pans out well,but posts liek this are kinda ridiculous and counterproductive IMO.

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Don't you have to actually make the game before it can succeed ?
  • DerrosDerros Posts: 1,086Member Uncommon

wait, a game that isnt even released, barely if at all developed, is succeeding?  What is it being developed by Charlie Sheen?

I hope its good, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, people are falling into the same trap over and over again, the only difference is that people are hyping the games earlier and earlier.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,523Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I agree because vapour ware is easy to install and play on your PC.....

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 forum

• FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Very observant of you padawan, the force is strong with you. That is what we are trying to increase the likelihood that it happens by getting the word out as much as possible.

• AmanaAmana New York, NYPosts: 2,838Moderator Uncommon
    his is written in a very baiting manner. That's not to say that there's an issue with the content but dismissing fellow posters in this way is really just not the right approach. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact

This discussion has been closed.