Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fed up.. There's rules in every game.

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I play football, what would that game be like with people picking what rules they dont like? Rules are what defines the game. Rules are what gives us comfort that when we play we know what we will face off against.

Do you have any idea how many times the "rules" of Football have changed since the games inception?

Hell even now it seems they change some rule or two every year.

Rules are ment to be bent, twisted, broken and changed

But never in a direction that break the core of what the game is. Always rules are added to bring more depth or fairness of play to what the game is. Whats the core of football? Same with ESO, whats the core of what was designed here? They added the ability to explore all faction maps and it was done in a way that it didnt break the core design for a 3 faction war set up like the DAoC model. As I said above there will be changes and updates but always with the core model in mind. Thats why I think earning other races will be an option one day. That wont break the faction lock.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I play football, what would that game be like with people picking what rules they dont like? Rules are what defines the game. Rules are what gives us comfort that when we play we know what we will face off against. There are some rules in football I would like to change but I am sure many others would like to as well but if they listened to everyone and changed every rule to fit everyone, would it be football any more. Rules define the game! ESO has been set up to be a very specific game. If you dont like the rules then maybe this is not the game for you. 

Faction lock must stay but races maybe something that changes like in SWToR. Earn new races to make them uncommon and fun. You have to remember this is a MMO with years of growth to come and updated. The only core to this game when it comes to AvA is the faction locks to keep realm pride and to give pure PvEers their space to. Is there others ways to do that? Maybe, but no one has done that better then the DAoC model. The rules tell you game you are playing.

It's important to note that, with the exception of professional games or games that try to emulate "official rules" that people do change the rules of games to suit their preferences.

We adapted our football play to suit the people there. For instance, If there was a petite girl who didn't want to get tackled then we wouldn't tackle her and we would just have her follow the flag football rules.

I've played monopoly over the years and have played serveral variants.

The important thing is that there are some sort of rules and that people who play the game are clear on them.

What the OP wants to assert is that "the rules of ESO have been set in stone so don't question them".

Which is ridiculous.

The reality is that he is beside himself with how they have implemented the new way for pve players to explore the world and he doesn't want any more changes to be made that jeapordize his RVR play. Understandable because he wants solid RVR play in a way he is used to, but as we know there are people who are surprised that is even an issue in an Elder Scrolls game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Xarko

Rules and limitations ..not the same :)

This.  I don't like the LIMITATIONS in ESO..

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I play football, what would that game be like with people picking what rules they dont like? Rules are what defines the game. Rules are what gives us comfort that when we play we know what we will face off against. There are some rules in football I would like to change but I am sure many others would like to as well but if they listened to everyone and changed every rule to fit everyone, would it be football any more. Rules define the game! ESO has been set up to be a very specific game. If you dont like the rules then maybe this is not the game for you. 

Faction lock must stay but races maybe something that changes like in SWToR. Earn new races to make them uncommon and fun. You have to remember this is a MMO with years of growth to come and updated. The only core to this game when it comes to AvA is the faction locks to keep realm pride and to give pure PvEers their space to. Is there others ways to do that? Maybe, but no one has done that better then the DAoC model. The rules tell you game you are playing.

I'm not sure I undertsand this post. You are using football which has had numerous rule changes throughout the years as an example of why rules shouldn't be changed? Since 1941 the NFL has changed or added rules over 40 times.  

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

The game of Rugby was invented when someone said "These football rules are lame" and picked up the ball.

And as has been pointed out, the rules of football now are always changing and since the first game of football have continually changed.

This is a stupid thread because people are arguing about if having rules are a good or a bad thing when the fact is, it is WHAT the rule is that needs discussion.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm not sure I undertsand this post. You are using football which has had numerous rule changes throughout the years as an example of why rules shouldn't be changed? Since 1941 the NFL has changed or added rules over 40 times.  

Read my post above. My point is very simple, the rules are set up to make a game. Sure rules change but normally not in a way to change the core game. If they did, you would have a different game. So if you dont like the rules of the game, then you must not like the core of the game. If thats the case its time to look for a new game. The ESO team is really set on bringing us the game they planed to. Even the changes of the exploring other factions is done in a way that does not change the core of the 3 faction war. If they did, we would have a different game. 

IMO yelling at a company 6 years in development to make a different game is foolish. Instead come up with ideas and sugestions that can get you what you want without demanding they break the core of what makes ESO, ESO. Want more races, suggest they let player earn them by exploring the other factions map. Maybe a quest where you save a Darkelf kid and now you can roll a Darkelf. Nows its rare and fun and fits in with the core game. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Rosa Parks would disagree with having limitations
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Rosa Parks would disagree with having limitations

She fought for civil rights, you need rules and laws to have civility.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

This thread is hilarious.  Everyone is arguing semantics over such a broad term lol. 

What about stuff in games?  Good or bad?

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Read my post above. My point is very simple, the rules are set up to make a game. Sure rules change but normally not in a way to change the core game. If they did, you would have a different game. So if you dont like the rules of the game, then you must not like the core of the game. If thats the case its time to look for a new game. The ESO team is really set on bringing us the game they planed to. Even the changes of the exploring other factions is done in a way that does not change the core of the 3 faction war. If they did, we would have a different game. 

IMO yelling at a company 6 years in development to make a different game is foolish. Instead come up with ideas and sugestions that can get you what you want without demanding they break the core of what makes ESO, ESO. Want more races, suggest they let player earn them by exploring the other factions map. Maybe a quest where you save a Darkelf kid and now you can roll a Darkelf. Nows its rare and fun and fits in with the core game. 

I'm not sure what you mean as far as "Core" goes. I don't see faction locked races as much of a "Core" type of thing. The factions themselves could be considered part of the core due to the RvR focus of the game but allowing people to choose their faction doesn't deviate from the core as far as I can see. 

I'm also not to sure you can saying complaining is foolish. They've already made changes, I imagine if enough people are still dissatisfied more changes will be made and it certainly seems that enough people are dissatisfied. One of the biggest complaints against the game seems to be faction lock. 

I'm not sure what you mean as far as "Core" goes. I don't see faction locked races as much of a "Core" type of thing. The factions themselves could be considered part of the core due to the RvR focus of the game but allowing people to choose their faction doesn't deviate from the core as far as I can see. 

I'm also not to sure you can saying complaining is foolish. They've already made changes, I imagine if enough people are still dissatisfied more changes will be made and it certainly seems that enough people are dissatisfied. One of the biggest complaints against the game seems to be faction lock. 

The core system taken from DAoC is this, 3 factions with their own maps. The 3 factions dont mix and all PvP is focused on one map. This makes PvP in this model focused and you end up with more large scale wars. If the AvA map is doen right, giving factions rewards for winning in AvA, that with the faction lock should bring a great faction pride. Also this gives PURE PvEers a place to PvE without getting attacked or forced to flag.

The changes made you talked about didnt break that core of what they were shooting for with PvP. Complanining is rarely worth doing. Asking for what you want as a customer a much better approach. I think we would be better off coming up with ideas that can give us what we want, without breaking the core of what the devs are trying to make ESO into. 

Want more race cross over why bitch about it when we could give the dev team reasons to give us more races on each faction. If we can come up with a way that it will take less dev time to do so. We have a better chance of them listening. Like suggesting new races would mean the art team would need to spend a lot of time coming up with armor, crafting system would need to be revamped. 

This has always been my stand. Stop asking the ESO devs to chuck out what they have made and find ways to get what we want without breaking whats already there. If we do, we may get what we want. My suggestion is lettng people earn races from the other factions after launch. Not sure how but SWToR did it. Rare to see a Sith pureblood Jedi but it was cool when you did.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Stop asking the ESO devs to chuck out what they have made and find ways to get what we want without breaking whats already there. If we do, we may get what we want. My suggestion is lettng people earn races from the other factions after launch. Not sure how but SWToR did it. Rare to see a Sith pureblood Jedi but it was cool when you did.

I agree, but that right there seems to be par for the course on gaming forums nowadays.  It's like some people are simply not happy that there's something called variety.  Yet in the same breath, these people will curse devs for not being creative.  I'd hate to be in the MMO industry.  They're like slaves with their hands tied.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by WellzyC

In real life there are rules..

In games there are rules..

Race limitation, Faction locks are rules..

Rules make games fun, without rules there is no game..

Quit complaining about race limitation, and faction lock,... rules have been around since you were 7 years old playing candy land.. get over it.

Thx, have a great day.

+ The Elder Scrolls games have rules.

And aylwynn rules.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Yep, there are all kind of rules. Lets look at some that are still on the books in some places. 

These are just from Massachusettes. 

All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.

It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.

A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.

Tattooing and body piercing is illegal. (Repealed in 2000)

Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

Not all rules are good rules. 

Thanks for the off topic rule list and for stating the obvious at the end, but here is the jist of the OP.

"Rules make games fun, without rules there is no game.."

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Distopia

Yep, there are all kind of rules. Lets look at some that are still on the books in some places. 

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

Those aren't game rules...

Sorry, OP brought up the fact than in real life there are rules and is trying to use the existence of a rule as the validation of said rule. I pointed out some real life rules in an attempt to show that not all rules are good and or needed. Just because a rule exists it does not make it right or needed. 

good now point out one of those rules that you listed that are enforced, or arnt superceded by anopther law.

oh and also i want you to try and go to any other country besides canada and tell them its not fair you cant be thier without a passport, and see what happens. better yet go to a country we are not on friendly terms with.

Actually I can't point to one of those that are enforced or that isn't superceded by another law. 

See people complain about rules they don't agree with and ask those in a position to do something about them to change them. These rules then get changed if the argument against them is persuasive or valid enough. 

Sorry, I intentionally lead you here to make a point. Rules and laws exist and some times people disgaree with them. When they disagree with them they present valid arguments as to why they should be changed. If you think a law or rule should remain as is then you should also present a valid argument. 

When one side is stating their dislike for something and giving reasons why they dislike it you can't exactly counter it with "Its the rules and they are just whiney casuals and shouldn't be listened to". Lets say you disagreed with a law and someone that agreed with it made a pretty valid case, how well do you think a thread or post like the ones you've made here will counter it?  

Bingo.

Originally posted by snapfusion

Thanks for the off topic rule list and for stating the obvious at the end, but here is the jist of the OP.

Good grief, that completely flew over your head, didn't it.  People aren't asking for a ruleless game, they are asking for different rules.  Being able to explore the entire continent is a rule.  Being able to choose the faction you want despite your race, is another rule.  Not being forced to PvP at end game is yet another rule.  All of these choices combine into the game's rule set.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Good grief, that completely flew over your head, didn't it.  People aren't asking for a ruleless game, they are asking for different rules.  Being able to explore the entire continent is a rule.  Being able to choose the faction you want despite your race, is another rule.  Not being forced to PvP at end game is yet another rule.  All of these choices combine into the game's rule set.

And when you have a new set of rules you have another game. So the OP is asking the devs go back and make a different game? That seems like a silly move after this has been in the works for almost 6 years.

And when you have a new set of rules you have another game. So the OP is asking the devs go back and make a different game? That seems like a silly move after this has been in the works for almost 6 years.

It's in development and the ones doing the requesting are elder scrolls fans asking for elder scrolls mechanics and game design.  It's not like they're pulling it out of their collective asses and asking for stuff that has nothing to do with the franchise, but whatever.

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

Quit complaining about race limitation, and faction lock,... rules have been around since you were 7 years old playing candy land.. get over it.

Thx, have a great day.

Why not let the players make the rules?

It's in development and the ones doing the requesting are elder scrolls fans asking for elder scrolls mechanics and game design.  It's not like they're pulling it out of their collective asses and asking for stuff that has nothing to do with the franchise, but whatever.

Ok here is where you lose. Its 6 years in so the core mechanics are in and almost done. As for who asking for the changes, yes some of you are TES fans. But there are also TES fans like me who are very happy with the game they have made. I have been playing TES sinse they were 8 bit games. Yelling this dose not fit TES model is IMO a fools move for 2 reasons.

1. This is a 1000 years outside the games. What makes a single player game does not work in a MMO so things need to be added and taken away. TES is not a sandbox game its more themepark then anything. So they picked a awesome themepark game that is the gold standard for PvP. Every PvP game thats been made over the past 10 years and been compaired to DAoC. 

2. MMOs need to grow or die. Mario started fixing pipes. When we got super mario brothers we didnt yell what the heck is the side scroller? Then Mario went 3D and is roaming the stars. Warcraft RTS became WoW and is nothing like its start, everyone plays a Hero, WHAT?!?!?! 2 Heros a map thats it, whats this crafting crap? Games grow and become more then their roots. Thats a good thing.

Originally posted by xSh0x

Thx, have a great day.

Ok and then in RL lets let anyone make new laws? Most people would need to lock their doors and never leave their homes. Someone needs to make the rules that heads in a direction of their vision. Thats how you have order and goals to work towards for our greater good.

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

Thx, have a great day.

Ok and then in RL lets let anyone make new laws? Most people would need to lock their doors and never leave their homes. Someone needs to make the rules that heads in a direction of their vision. Thats how you have order and goals to work towards for our greater good.

Anyone can try to make new laws.  That's how they come in to being in the first place.  And what separates the fantasy dedication and roleplaying ability of a developer versus a gamer?  

Developers are few, but the gamers are many.  Its the massive collection of "visions" that separate an MMORPG from a single player game.

Thx, have a great day.

Anyone can try to make new laws.  That's how they come in to being in the first place.  And what separates the fantasy dedication and roleplaying ability of a developer versus a gamer?  

Developers are few, but the gamers are many.  Its the massive collection of "visions" that separate an MMORPG from a single player game.

Not that simple but my point still stands. Comes down to, Too many cooks in the kitchen, Too many chiefs and too few indians. Things always work better when a small group of people pick a focus and goal and the rest follow. IMO they should ignore 99.999999999% of whats said on the forums. Sure look for feedback but only pick what fits their vision.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
  • cakelizardcakelizard Member UncommonPosts: 63
    some kids liked playing board games and some kids like playing with legos. the problem with the market right now is were seeing soo many board games with slight changes vs a new set of lego's  its aggravating.