Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So for those who have been playing since launch...

rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Hey all, I was just wondering if you guys who have been playing Defiance since launch (heck, even since beta if it applies) still enjoy the game as if it was day one.  Do you think you would have rather paid less, not bought it at all, or would still buy the game now that you are familiar with it? 

I'm curious becuase Defiance recently popped up on my radar and looks fun.  Plus the OTHER game I was considering investing in (and it's a F2P title mind you) looks like is going to be killed off by poor management before it even officially launches.  I won't name the other game becuase my issue isn't with it's gameplay, but like I said it's management.  So it's looking like I'm going to put money somewhere else and was wondering about Defiance.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Comments

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I'm still finding it fun. There's a few things that need to be fixed but all in all still a great game. I do see this as a 30 dollar game though. People complain about the amount of content that was put out at launch but you have to look at it like this. The game has ALOT!! of content for a shooter if you look at your average shooter the story to it prolly lasts you 6 hrs. Defiance's story will last you prolly 12 hrs if you ONLY do the main missions. Theres side missions, arkfalls, time trials, rampages, pursuits, co-op missions, and so on that takes hours to do as well. Then you have pvp which you can just continuously do over and over again until you get bored. You have all this and then the Tv series missions which is a different story itself and they update every time a new episode comes out. On the 15th the first DLC comes out i believe. Its worth 60 dollars i think. But i also see it going down in price while more DLC comes out.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Im actually liking it more now than at launch.  i didnt even scratch the complexity with weapons and i never realized how difficult the content can get when alone at least.  Early game was enjoyable but i just like the game a lot more now that im understanding more about how it works.  Theres a lot of stuff with this game that wont be easy to grasp right off the bat, given its really not like any mmorpg ive ever played.

I dont mind pay $60 for a game, my steam library is full of $60 games that are great games but have yeilded less game play than this one.

If your on the cheap yeah, wait on it, im sure there will be deals in the future.

Do your researh and figure out what type of game this is, and if you think youll like it first though.  Dont jump into the game thinking its going to be WOW/GW2 with guns.  Its more like GW2 mechanically as far as how the content is presented via a lot of events.  Other than that the similarites are few and far between.

If you enjoy the third person shooter combat, and like a lot of weapon diversity and complexity then you might want to keep an eye on this game, or jump in if $60 isnt a huge deal.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by rodingo

Hey all, I was just wondering if you guys who have been playing Defiance since launch (heck, even since beta if it applies) still enjoy the game as if it was day one.  Do you think you would have rather paid less, not bought it at all, or would still buy the game now that you are familiar with it? 

I'm curious becuase Defiance recently popped up on my radar and looks fun.  Plus the OTHER game I was considering investing in (and it's a F2P title mind you) looks like is going to be killed off by poor management before it even officially launches.  I won't name the other game becuase my issue isn't with it's gameplay, but like I said it's management.  So it's looking like I'm going to put money somewhere else and was wondering about Defiance.

Even better!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by BrownAle

If you enjoy the third person shooter combat, and like a lot of weapon diversity and complexity then you might want to keep an eye on this game, or jump in if $60 isnt a huge deal.

What weapon diversity and complexity? This game's loot system is almost as horrid as Diablo III's loot system.

It's totally randomized, all to entice people to keep buying lock boxes. This game is almost worse than Cryptic's games with their lock boxes!

I lost count in how many high ego blue and purple items I have destructed or vendored away, because they were more crap than the blue and green early game weapons I have been using since day one!

Even several purple guns with so called Synergy mods that were utter crap! /Facepalm

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'm enjoying it still and more so in fact. Weapons and customization gets a lot better as you get deeper into the game. 

Knowing what I know now the only thing I would change about my purchase is where I got it from. GMG had a good deal and I took it DDE and purchased the Season pass from Trion. I wish I had picked it up on Steam instead though :P. Steam preorders ended up getting a good bit more bang for there buck and still ended up saving money due to the DLC deal. 

Either way the game was worth the buy. 

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Yes, the more I play the more I love it.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Having a blast and loving it. It's a great game! I have hopes for server stability soon.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    One of my best friends is still enamored enough with it that he says he is no longer considering playing Neverwinter with me when it comes out.  I think he is a flipping idiot but who am I to judge.  We havn't gamed together since WoW so its highly likely we wont be for the forseeable future.  Also I think I need to find smarter friends lol.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I already got my moneys worth still playing and having fun and willing to play this game as a longterm alternative MMO game for me.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

The game is growing on me.

I'm no FPS fan but as I was stuck in MMORPG limbo I thought "What the heck" and I'm glad I did. This game is a diamond in the rough. Forget those ppl telling you this is no MMO, those ppl are confusing it with an MMORPG, this is an MMOFPS and it has that in spades.

The action at times can be overwhelming if your caught out by a large group of mutants piling out the back of an armoured personnel carrier, or from an underground bunker.

I've only scratched the surface of this game but what I've seen so far has me wanting to see more.

Now the game itself isn't huge, but it's going to grow once the series goes live (another unique twist to the whole game) and I'm looking forward to seeing what Trion has planned. I've already setup my TIVO to record the series so I don't miss a thing, and I do hope that watching the show pays off with perhaps some ingame codes to be reclaimed, who knows.

Anyhow personally I think the game is fun, I know it certainly isn't perfect such as the terrible chat and VOIP, but that has not impacted my gaming at all as I've been a lone wolf anyway (my guild is still too heavily invested in other MMO's to give this one a try).

Originally posted by JeroKane

What weapon diversity and complexity? This game's loot system is almost as horrid as Diablo III's loot system.

It's totally randomized, all to entice people to keep buying lock boxes. This game is almost worse than Cryptic's games with their lock boxes!

I lost count in how many high ego blue and purple items I have destructed or vendored away, because they were more crap than the blue and green early game weapons I have been using since day one!

Even several purple guns with so called Synergy mods that were utter crap! /Facepalm

Thats what i thought too.  Ignoring the wide variety of weapon types of course.

All your doing is gimping youself using the same weapons from day one, seems you havent even figured out the stat system yet.

Dont toss the new weapons toss the old ones and make use the new ones.  Youll thank me once you figure out the passive stats and stat progression.  I actually made a post about it, when your done trolling the game feel free to read it.

But yeah i can tell you have no idea what you are doing regarding loot.  I was the same way early on in game too, but more adult like in i didnt get all pissy about it.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

played in all the betas, and would be playing now ( wife is chocking the purse string for me games right now) but i dont have the money.

yes it has its issues yes the UI is horrible, and yes i hope they fix alot of things.

but the bottom line for me is its alot of fun, and thats all that really matters to me.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    One of my best friends is still enamored enough with it that he says he is no longer considering playing Neverwinter with me when it comes out.  I think he is a flipping idiot but who am I to judge.  We havn't gamed together since WoW so its highly likely we wont be for the forseeable future.  Also I think I need to find smarter friends lol.

Haha I have a friend just like that too.  He thinks everything is a WoW clone including EVE, so go figure.

Overall thanks for the input guys. I'm the type of person who loves to watch movies/shows that correspond to the games I'm playing.  For example, for the last couple of weeks I've been wtaching some Jet Li stuff just becuase of the OTHER game.  When I saw the Hobbit, I went back to Lotro briefly.  When I was playing SWTOR I watched all of the Star Wars movies again a couple of times, except Phantom Menace lol.  So I figure when Defiance hits the TV screen I'm going to constantly have the itch to play the game.  Specially if the game gets updated to keep up with events on the show.  Plus my wife gave the go ahead last night, and she is the financial Gate Keeper. image

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I loved playing the game, but Trion were very, VERY terrible to deal with Customer Service wise.

Needless to say, it was to my benefit that I ordered from Amazon.com, as they refunded my money while the game was being mailed to me. 

The game is fun, no doubt about it, but their CS sucks!!!!!  As long as you don't have issues, you should be fine.

All your doing is gimping youself using the same weapons from day one, seems you havent even figured out the stat system yet.

Dont toss the new weapons toss the old ones and make use the new ones.  Youll thank me once you figure out the passive stats and stat progression.  I actually made a post about it, when your done trolling the game feel free to read it.

But yeah i can tell you have no idea what you are doing regarding loot.  I was the same way early on in game too, but more adult like in i didnt get all pissy about it.

Why would I toss away my old gun, when it does double damage compared to a purple gun with synergy mods that give like +5% Melee damage or -5% grenade recharge time or a couple extra bullets in a clip?

Especially in San Fran area where Dark matter mobs do such an insane amount of damage with high fire rate guns and high damage sniper rifles... the most important stat for you there is pure damage output to get them down asap! Or they get you.

The whole AI and mob behaviour in this game is so simplistic and straight forward.... there is hardly any intelligence to it. Nor most of the mods with completely useless stats that don't contribute AT ALL!

The whole mob AI is based on amount of HP a mob has and amount of DPS a mob does. That's the whole AI in this game.

There are no interesting scripted mob behaviours, like special (mini) boss behaviours, sertain resistances that make sertain weapon damage types more effective than others in various situations. Nada!

They just slapped a ton of HP on a boss and upped the DPS and increased it's size. That's it.

Very dissapointing! Especially since RIFT is so much better done and it's the same company! /shrug

And then lets not even talk about the boring repetitive Ark falls, that are utter simplistic joke compared to variation and diversity of Rifts in RIFT ! /Facepalm

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

The game is growing on me.

I'm no FPS fan but as I was stuck in MMORPG limbo I thought "What the heck" and I'm glad I did. This game is a diamond in the rough. Forget those ppl telling you this is no MMO, those ppl are confusing it with an MMORPG, this is an MMOFPS and it has that in spades.

I'm gonna nitpick here and say its MMOTPS

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Why would I toss away my old gun, when it does double damage compared to a purple gun with synergy mods that give like +5% Melee damage or -5% grenade recharge time or a couple extra bullets in a clip?

Especially in San Fran area where Dark matter mobs do such an insane amount of damage with high fire rate guns and high damage sniper rifles... the most important stat for you there is pure damage output to get them down asap! Or they get you.

The whole AI and mob behaviour in this game is so simplistic and straight forward.... there is hardly any intelligence to it. Nor most of the mods with completely useless stats that don't contribute AT ALL!

Yeah you have no idea what your doing, and your gimping youself in the log run.  The same type of gun wont do "double the damage" as base stats are the same and you dont have gear with 50% damange bonus since such a thing doesnt exist.

Your getting that melee boost as well as giming youself by not leveling your passive skill in that weapon.

I realize theres no reasoning, your goal here is to trash the game and youll ignore major game systems in order make an argument ect.

I get it though, keep on trashin the game, something will stick eventually.

Yeah you have no idea what your doing, and your gimping youself in the log run.  The same type of gun wont do "double the damage" as base stats are the same and you dont have gear with 50% damange bonus since such a thing doesnt exist.

Your getting that melee boost as well as giming youself by not leveling your passive skill in that weapon.

I realize theres no reasoning, your goal here is to trash the game and youll ignore major game systems in order make an argument ect.

I get it though, keep on trashin the game, something will stick eventually.

Don't you think I have tested out both guns on same mobs and clearly noticed the difference in damage output?

I am not saying the difference was double, due to different fire rates, but the difference was there... due to mods giving useless bonusses instead of what is actually usefull.

It has nothing to do with trashing the game.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Yes.

If you are willing to pay $60 for a single player game with 20 hours of gameplay, would you be willing to pay the same price for a game with potentially 100's of hours of entertainment?

Shotguns 

There are 3 main types of shotguns. Sawed off shotguns, Combat Shotguns, and Pump Action Shotguns. In those 3 sub types there are several variances as well. Just in shotguns I'm carrying around 10 currently because they are all very different from each other. Hell I have one that spams mini grenades lol.

I'm carrying 4 different infectors around because one doesn't spawn parasites but does a lot more damage over time. One that does good damage over time but also spawns parasites when the target dies. One that does next to no dmg over time but has a chance to spawn a parasite with each shot. One spawns parasites every 5 hits and then spawns more when the mob dies. 

I have way to many rocket launchers and its hard to get rid of any but they are all so different its hard to. One is rapid fire, one is manually detonated in the air and drops pods. One throws out pods when it hits something. One locks on to a target and fires heat seeking missles. One has killer range, a nice scope and faster moving rockets. 

I don't even want to discuss how many grenade launchers I currently have. 

There is a god awful amount of diversity and its to the point that it makes it hard for me to salvage many items.

After you get past the massive amount of diversity just in the weapon types and sub types you then have to deal with the diverse bonuses many of the higher level guns come with. Finding that perfect one to fit your particular play style to a T is going to be a long journey due to the variety and number of bonuses that can be on a given weapon once you get higher up. 

Mods increase the diversity and complexity even more. 

I've no idea what kind of luck you've been having but the later rarer weapons I've found have mostly been a great improvement over the earlier weapons I've found. 

• Dyonisus77Dyonisus77 Member Posts: 5

So far so good. I have no idea why this game gets so much hate -- well at least outside of the Xbox version. Game is pretty fun and there is a ton to do. Trion needs to clean up the bugs and  the zoom with the weapons -- I hate how it slows down on the PC. I think if people try it they will enjoy their time.  

Good game. 

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Do you expect to get a rare item to your liking every single time you play in a session? No, then there would'nt be a need to play if you get all the items you want/need past that point. I've been playing since launch and have no issues on breaking gear down or using other guns to level up a skill and when I do find my main weapon of choice I will go back to it. I remember the days when getting a " Rare Item " was rare in the first place and not a god damn wow loot system, seems to me that todays players want instant gratification in a single play session. The game is fine the way it is, and if I got anew gun every single time I did a dungeon or ark fall event it would bring down the sense of enjoyment in actualy getting something usefull, and the lock boxes you can buy without real world cash, just break down the gear you don't want or need and use the resources ( Green block things ) to buy keycodes and use those keycodes towards the lock boxes.

/facepalm

The whole mob AI is based on amount of HP a mob has and amount of DPS a mob does. That's the whole AI in this game.

There are no interesting scripted mob behaviours, like special (mini) boss behaviours, sertain resistances that make sertain weapon damage types more effective than others in various situations. Nada!

They just slapped a ton of HP on a boss and upped the DPS and increased it's size. That's it.

Very dissapointing! Especially since RIFT is so much better done and it's the same company! /shrug

And then lets not even talk about the boring repetitive Ark falls, that are utter simplistic joke compared to variation and diversity of Rifts in RIFT ! /Facepalm

If they are the same weapon type and sub type theres no way it's doing double the damage. 

I don't think you understand the system at all. Lets take sniper rifles as an example. 

You have single shot sniper rifles which do the most damage. 

Double tap sniper rifles (They fire twice in rapid succession) which are in the middle. 

Semi Auto sniper rifles that do less damage but fire the fastest and have the largest clips. 

Yes if you have a single shot sniper rifle from your early levels, yes its going to do about double the damage of the Semi Auto sniper rifles of later levels. The reason for this is because they are comepletely different weapons and the base damage never changes. 

If you've used the same weapon since the begining though you have gimped yourself. When a weapon reaches its xp cap it will no longer increase your weapon skills level. You will miss out on all of that progression by using the same weapon without ever switching. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I've been playing since launch, and I'm actually enjoying the game MORE after almost a week than when I started imageimage

I love the fact that I can roam around in the world at will. No invisible walls to "channel" my gameplay. Driving my ATV cross-country is almost as much fun as killing mobs. And killing mobs WITH the ATV (while driving cross-country) is great for variety image

I'm not rushing to level-cap, I'm exploring and just playing.

In the last few days, I realised that making builds that effectively combine weapon types, mod attributes and the appropriate Perks is going to be a min-maxer's nightmare. There's no "one-build-to-bind-them-all", you actually have to build according to your playstyle. Some combo's are easier than others of course, but someone that puts a lot of effort into their build will reap surprisingly large benefits.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well I just picked it up the standard edition through MMORPG.com oddly enough.  I didn't even realize they used a 3rd party service called DLgamer. They had it for %17 off ($49.99) and it's DL'ing now.  I feel more comfortable giving Trion $50 instead of some obscure Asian company $20.  Haha, is that wrong? image