Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Path of Exile: The Hidden Gem of the Year

1235»

Comments

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I am having lots of fun with this game, best f2p i have played by far. I would agree with other posters about this sites scoring of PoE, this game is alot better than the score given.

Nice to see a none p2w cash shop too, this is how a cash shop should be. I had no problem at all with opening my wallet and purchasing ingame fluff items, this i would do on any f2p game that went the no p2w route.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33
    i cant agree on the community being a generally nice bunch - theres way too many elitist to be called that - but its the best f2p game out there, no doubt. and the first that makes me wanna pay without trying to force me to. thanks ggg for this piece of addictive fun!
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Amazed innovation was called out on... it changes quite a lot considering its genre. I mean a good example would be to look at GW2, it does just as much innovation as PoE ends up doing giving things a new sugar coating and making it its own, yet that game somehow gets hailed for innovation yet PoE is not 'innovating'? What? As far as I seen, theres no real games that go about providing the ability to change skills in the way PoE does it. It has the map system like Torchlight and the traditional ARPG elements underworking it but hell thats exactly what GW2 does. If PoE isn't doing some form of innovation, then sadly I don't think there has really been an innovative game in years now.

None the less, enjoyable game, best mechanics in an ARPG I'd say ever. Not perfect but by far an amazing experience. Sure it doesn't have diablo 3 polish, but its a lot better in other areas

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I think this one of the most enjoyable games of my lifetime. It may not be perfect but its not made for me.

I would prefer an over the sholder type camera, but thats not the style of this game now is it?

This is one of those games I will put over 1000 hours into. I can only put maybe 8-12 games in that category in my life.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• sherwinjtbsherwinjtb Member Posts: 17

It's an okay game if you choose your skills wisely. The game can get tiring very quickly even in Hardcore. I chose Marauder and was forced to use a Shield because Energy Shield and Evasion slowly becomes useless when levels increase. Shield block also quickly diminishes and you're left with pure Armor protection for that much needed damage reduction.

Elemental resistances are easily obtainable, but Chaos resistance is quite rare. Life Regeneration won't really help much in combat unless you run away. Life on Hit will be your main life saver to keep your health up. Mana gains are a joke for Marauder. I can't believe how many times they expect us to drink from Flasks. Leveling up I found myself using normal attacks quite often. Didn't amuse me at all.

Finding items was decent. Legendary items were pointless. Out of the 3 or 4 I found my Marauder didn't have any use for. Most of the mods used came from Rares. Waiting for Alchemy gems just to create Rare items really drived my patience. Magic items were good to start out with, but left my character feeling unwanted. Trying to find Waypoints was also a time peeve. Instances or maps reset after a certain time. If you Town Portal and take too long the TP disappears.

• BigBrawlerBigBrawler Member UncommonPosts: 4

Originally posted by Vhaln

Personally, I can't really knock it for being to similar to other ARPGs, when it's the best in the entire genre.  Even better than Diablo 2, IMHO.  Especially if potential is taken into account.  I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

That is the most reasonable post I have seen on this thread. Ima going to go make an account right now!

• JonrobinJonrobin Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Good review. It shows you spent some time and thought on it. I particularly like the thought and strategy that goes into what type of gems to to socket. Do I currently need more armour, would I rather have have an increased chance to discover loot....etc. I also love the HUGE passive ability tree. so many decisions! I like the fact that you can start out as a particular type of class and end up in a totally different class by the decisions you make. Good review!   jr
  • sam212121sam212121 Member Posts: 3

Amazing f2p game.

I'm just shocked by the amount of content items/passives/combinations it offers.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It is a good game, but you have to really be hard up to laud it as a hidden gem.  There are a lot better games that are out there.