Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if its funded but fails. . . . .

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Troianman
    Originally posted by botrytis

2. PvP only - sorry most people want Pve with some PvP. PvP only will NEVER survive a long time. That is a fact.

3. sub game and focused on PvP only - well you have even whittled your market even further.

4. The cost of a game production is the same whether the lead designer begs on Kickstarter or not. No game has really come out of Kiskstarter and made it yet, especially an MMO. 

It has already been stated that the game caters to a niche market, not the greater PC gaming audience. PvP games can actually survive for quite awhile if the vision stays true. If stupid things are added which have no place in a given game then support fades, people leave and the game dies. However, that is not something that automatically happens due to PvP being the driving factor of a game, it is a product of bad decisions.

The cost of a game is actually based on the scope of the project, game X does not automatically cost the same as game Y because they are both MMORPGs. To say no game from kickstarter has made it yet, even to add in that no MMO has is not proof that it can't happen. It is really only a matter of time before it does. MMORPGs were once a niche genre of game, played and enjoyed by an audience much smaller than today and they not only survived by thrived (as exhibited by MMOs becoming what they are now). A well developed game launched to a relatively untapped niche market could easily survive if done right.

I wish I had an animation of a rainbow with the words "The More You Know".

to be perfectly fair kickstarter hasnt been around long enough for a kickstarted MMO to have had enough time to finish develpment.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

1. Sorry - this game has nothing coded. Just a lot of big ideas and wishes - it can fail.

2. PvP only - sorry most people want Pve with some PvP. PvP only will NEVER survive a long time. That is a fact.

3. sub game and focused on PvP only - well you have even whittled your market even further.

4. The cost of a game production is the same whether the lead designer begs on Kickstarter or not. No game has really come out of Kiskstarter and made it yet, especially an MMO.

for #2 plenty PVP only games do just fine.. just not in this genre.. but mobas, fps, and such do just fine and are some of the most played games in the world.. 

How many of those require a subscription? (I honestly don't know...do any?)

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Frankly it will be worth just to be involved and putting my input into the development process of the game.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

The title of this thread should be... "Can you Google this for me?"

I kid I kid... but as to question #1 copied from Kickstarter FAQ

How do backers know if a project will follow through?

Launching a Kickstarter is a very public act, and creators put their reputations at risk when they do.
    Backers should look for creators who share a clear plan for how their project will be completed and who have a history of doing so. Creators are encouraged to share links and as much background information as possible so backers can make informed decisions about the projects they support.
    If a creator has no demonstrable experience in doing something like their project or doesn't share key information, backers should take that into consideration. Does the creator include links to any websites that show work related to the project, or past projects? Does the creator appear in the video? Have they connected via Facebook?
    Don't hesitate to request information from a creator. You can always reach out before pledging via the "Contact me" button on the project page.

If problems come up, creators are expected to post a project update (which is emailed to all backers) explaining the situation. Sharing the story, speed bumps and all, is crucial. Most backers support projects because they want to see something happen and they'd like to be a part of it. Creators who are honest and transparent will usually find backers to be understanding.
    It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated. If a creator is making a good faith effort to complete their project and is transparent about it, backers should do their best to be patient and understanding while demanding continued accountability from the creator.
    If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps could include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers. 

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Me again ----> The answer is who knows for sure, I tend to think it would be released no matter what. If they run low on money and it's near completion they could also see more capital come in from other outside investors as they have a product of value with a biult in audience, people may see as valuable enough to take a risk on at that point. I doubt if it gets to that point it will just evaporate. But it's all just speculation, like anything.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

To me, the scarier question is, "What if it is not funded and would have been amazing?"

I am comfortable pledging to CU knowing hey, it could fail - I have no illusions about that. It is entirely possible. But, worrying about failure is not particularly useful. Instead, I concern myself with how cool it could be if executed well, and I think it can be done well.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Psychow

1. Sorry - this game has nothing coded. Just a lot of big ideas and wishes - it can fail.

for #2 plenty PVP only games do just fine.. just not in this genre.. but mobas, fps, and such do just fine and are some of the most played games in the world.. 

^

Exact same thing i thought

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

So?  Everything CAN fail.  Why support anything?  Ever?

You lost your point as soon as you typed "... most people..."  MJ has stated over and over and over and over again, this game is NOT FOR "MOST PEOPLE."  It's for a NICHE market.

And perhaps you should read up on what "fact" means.

That's the point.  NOW, you're finally understanding what MJ's vision is!

Again, so?  There is no point to be made here, at all.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Psychow

that is very true.. and CU would have to offer a lot to warrant a sub for me as a strictly pvp game.. well guess you could consider playing any game on xbox live requiring a sub fee:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

You lost your point as soon as you typed "... most people..." MJ has stated over and over and over and over again, this game is NOT FOR "MOST PEOPLE." It's for a NICHE market.

You wont love your niche if it fails to fund....because its niche :P

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nitth

You lost your point as soon as you typed "... most people..." MJ has stated over and over and over and over again, this game is NOT FOR "MOST PEOPLE." It's for a NICHE market.

You wont love your niche if it fails to fund....because its niche :P

which is why I'm really suprised it is asking for 2 million.. Shroud i would think has a much wider audience overall as the ultima games have been around forever and they only asked for 1 million and made just shy of 2 million over their kickstart period

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Troianman

It has already been stated that the game caters to a niche market, not the greater PC gaming audience. PvP games can actually survive for quite awhile if the vision stays true. If stupid things are added which have no place in a given game then support fades, people leave and the game dies. However, that is not something that automatically happens due to PvP being the driving factor of a game, it is a product of bad decisions.

The cost of a game is actually based on the scope of the project, game X does not automatically cost the same as game Y because they are both MMORPGs. To say no game from kickstarter has made it yet, even to add in that no MMO has is not proof that it can't happen. It is really only a matter of time before it does. MMORPGs were once a niche genre of game, played and enjoyed by an audience much smaller than today and they not only survived by thrived (as exhibited by MMOs becoming what they are now). A well developed game launched to a relatively untapped niche market could easily survive if done right.

I wish I had an animation of a rainbow with the words "The More You Know".

to be perfectly fair kickstarter hasnt been around long enough for a kickstarted MMO to have had enough time to finish develpment.

Well an MMO is a very complicated project, but what i can tell you is that games that have been funded in kickstarter are generally pretty good. At the top of my head i can list Giana sisters(FANTASTIC music), Strike suit zero(SO FUN), FTL(GOD tier roguelike game), the banner saga and Chivalry: Medieval warfare. All sucess stories.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

I'll be out at least $2M dollars...

IDK, seems like that's a pretty big risk to me. Whether we fund, fail to fund, fund but fail, I've got plenty of "skin in the game" in more ways than one. :)

Goodnight all.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I hope they get funded but it is going to be really close I think. The fact they don't have any demos,asking for 2 million, the game launching 2-3 years from now and the fact that War rvr was not successful could be major factors why they don't get funded. I am all in on this project along with Shroud of the Avatar. I think without a publisher Camelot Unchained could be a successful game but getting there might be tough. Hoping for the best!
  • ConquestorConquestor Member Posts: 15

1) Yes it is Vaporware, that is the risk. I know nothing about MJ personally, I have to say I hated Mythic as a company and felt that they crapped on alot of classes (IE Bard classes that had a rising stat that did NOTHING for them, which could have easy been fixed with some code change). As head of Mythic during that time, I blame MJ for all the failures of that game (TOA), but at the same time I have to give him all of the credit for the good things as well (every other expansion besides TOA). To this day, I (nor any of my friends) have ever played a MMORPG that was as much fun as the PvP in DAOC. On a weekly basis they beg me to come back to DAOC, without the classic servers I won't do it, plus the graphics which used to be awesome are OLD. 

2) I think you are wrong here, most DAOC fans want RvR with some or none of the PvE. Most people leveled up in a grind only to get new abilities & Trickets to go out to the Battlegrounds or Frontier and use them. ToA Killed Daoc, that was all about a PvE timesink and overpowered classes. SWTOR was like 240 Million to develop and they forgot to include a good PvP endgame.  SWTOR to me has the best graphics, best PvE, best missions I have played since DAOC, but there is no quality RvR, and the population is falling and falling, and now it is Free to play.

3) It is a niche game. There are 2 types of MMORPGer's out there, previous DAOC players who have had very little PvP fun since they stopped playing DAOC, and players who never play DAOC and don't understand what all the fuss is about. This game appeals to the former. I have been disappointed by every game I have played since DAOC, and can't for the life of me understand why people don't STEAL the things that made DAOC great. But they don't so I tip my hat to MJ for giving me the idea of a game that took the best parts of DAOC and left out the worst parts. (and add new ones). I have been BEGGING SOMEONE TO TAKE MY MONEY FOR YEARS AND IN RETURN GIVE ME A GREAT RvR MMORPG. No one has taken me up on it. I won't play Free to play games, because I know they are going to be on the cheap with developing more content for the game, I would prefer to play a sub based game and keep playing it as long as it continues to be fun.

4) I think MJ has enough experience to know what he is doing. He will be starting with 5 Million and a lifetime of experience making games and MMORPG games. If it was just some random guy off the street who suggested this without any credentials, there is no way I would have given him money.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    I thought if a fund never saw the daylight, you would get your money back?
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

Ok i think most know im not for this game and meh i prefere not to normaly harp agisnt games in a big way.

somehting that has been getting on my nerves alot of late is that its ok for a new thread about this game to appear every 5 mins or so in favor of it, but when someone post on said thread asking question or explaing why they are aginst it people jump on them like cats on sardines. and say they shouldnt even post.

so im going to sit here and let ya rip me up all you want, cause im going to ask a few simple questions that is the core of what most people have agint it.

Most supporters of the game wonder why you even bother posting here (on a forum dedicated to the game, itself) when you clearly don't support it.  Simply put, you have no vested interest, whatsoever, in decrying the game or in convincing others that the game is no good... none.  You stand to gain nothing, even if you're successful at turning people away.

On the other hand, those here who support the game stand to gain quite a bit by convincing others to support it.  Additionally, we feel as if we may actually contribute to the design of the game by discussing its details.

1. ( the main one) what happens when this game gets kickstarted but never launchs ( theroetical question not saying it wont)

I believe those who support the game have faith that this will not be an issue.  If it is, the joke's on us and you may come to me, personally, and gloat all you'd like.

2. where is all the info on this game in detail, most things about the game are extrweamly vague at best, heck i cant figure out more about it then its a DAoC clone.

If you can't figure much out, you're not paying much attention.  MJ is being quite forthcoming about the development.  Of course, the game is in its infancy so the information is, understandably, limited.  Remember, if the game doesn't fund, NO ONE will lose the money they have pledged.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

3. What makes the chances of this game being great more then that of any other PvP or RvR based MMO, when there are so many already that promised the exact same thing this one dose.

I don't see why this is a concern.  You risk being disappointed with everything in which you invest support.  At the least, we can see the development occur.  That said, MJ is largely responsible for creating DAoC which many of us believe is the single best PvP game ever.  Who better to trust in making its successor.

4. why am i giveing money to someone to work on thier dream project when they themselves wont put money into it before me. (yes i know hes going to add money if we do but he should have done that to begin with, but him commiting to it first would make me fill alot better)

You're not giving your money, so this question is moot.

5.am i going to have to buy the game after investing in the kickstarter, for that matter what kind of payment system will it be. ( this info might be out there i just dont know myself to be honest)

Holy crap!  Have you read anything about this game or the Kickstarter?  Nearly every single pledge tier includes a copy of the game (some include several copies.)  Additionally, there are those tiers that also include several months of subscription.

OK rage away and tear it up, do what you want but please give me actual useful info here, preferably with links sources and facts.

P.S. lets see how long before im subject to fanboy rage, instead of logic here.

P.S.S. let me clarify im not aginst the game i enjoy PvP & RvR games sometimes, its the whole kickstarter thing that give me the willies.

You say you're not against the game... I suggest you read your opening sentence.  I also suggest you try to inform yourself a bit better about the game.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to respond but Tumble said it better.:)

• AthileaAthilea Member Posts: 72

1. It happens sometimes. It's a risk, and everyone backing this game should understand that risk.

2. It's not really a DAoC clone, to say that does not do it justice. There are similarities to DAoC, yes, but it is not going to be the same game. That would be almost as bad as calling it a Warhammer clone. Yes, the information is overall vague. Over the life of the kickstarter I expect that we will see a lot more information.

3. Unfortunately, from what I've noticed, a lot of other pure PvP/RvR games are free to play but pay to win. This is not going to be that sort of game, so I think that's a point in it's favor right there. There also aren't that many tri-realm RvR games that I'm aware of.

4. It comes down to if you beleive in the game enough to fund it or not. It's your choice if you wish to see this made into a game.

5.This depends on the teir that you decided to pay into. A great number of them come with digital copies of the game, some of them with multiple digital copies so that you can give some to your friends and/or family.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    ....ask for a refund!

i think you get a refund if the project doesnt fund. If it is fully funded and they make a crappy game, you get your crappy game.

Whether it will be good or bad, that depends on how much effort MJ and City State put into the game. If they really care about the game and its targeted audience then expect a good game with lots of effort and passion into it. But  If they just want the money then expect a crappy mess.

I wont play it because its pvp only, but i hope they do a good job. We have enough crappy messes already.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Not really, since the money is spent and there is nothing to give back.  If enough people felt gipped I suppose they could band together and hire lawyers, assuming there was some sort of misconduct.  Still unlikely someone would get it all back.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Karteli

Not really, since the money is spent and there is nothing to give back.  If enough people felt gipped I suppose they could band together and hire lawyers, assuming there was some sort of misconduct.  Still unlikely someone would get it all back.

And here's your answer, posted earlier in this thread: 

Originally posted by Father_Jack

Launching a Kickstarter is a very public act, and creators put their reputations at risk when they do.

Backers should look for creators who share a clear plan for how their project will be completed and who have a history of doing so. Creators are encouraged to share links and as much background information as possible so backers can make informed decisions about the projects they support.
    If a creator has no demonstrable experience in doing something like their project or doesn't share key information, backers should take that into consideration. Does the creator include links to any websites that show work related to the project, or past projects? Does the creator appear in the video? Have they connected via Facebook?
    Don't hesitate to request information from a creator. You can always reach out before pledging via the "Contact me" button on the project page.

What should creators do if they're having problems completing their project

If problems come up, creators are expected to post a project update (which is emailed to all backers) explaining the situation. Sharing the story, speed bumps and all, is crucial. Most backers support projects because they want to see something happen and they'd like to be a part of it. Creators who are honest and transparent will usually find backers to be understanding.
    It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated. If a creator is making a good faith effort to complete their project and is transparent about it, backers should do their best to be patient and understanding while demanding continued accountability from the creator.
    If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps could include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers. 

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Me again ----> The answer is who knows for sure, I tend to think it would be released no matter what. If they run low on money and it's near completion they could also see more capital come in from other outside investors as they have a product of value with a biult in audience, people may see as valuable enough to take a risk on at that point. I doubt if it gets to that point it will just evaporate. But it's all just speculation, like anything.

If you're gonna hate, at least get your facts straight.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

Ok i think most know im not for this game........

Continue to....

P.S.S. let me clarify im not aginst the game......

Wow -.-

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

Originally posted by Karteli

And here's your answer, posted earlier in this thread: 

Originally posted by Father_Jack

What should creators do if they're having problems completing their project

If you're gonna hate, at least get your facts straight.

You're getting blinded by grasping for any justification that you didn't carefully read what was said.

We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Define "not making a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill".  Compare that to making a good effort but still failing and not completing.  Hmm Mmm take that to court and prove someone didn't make a good effort, even though they disbanded from lack of funds.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

The game could be crap, who knows...but it's up to backers of ANY KS to take that risk!

Some people around here acts as if KS is something new and that it's just about games. I'v backed plenty of projects and only a few of them are games.

The money from a KS is just venture capital, nothing more...

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i have added 1 word to my orriginalo post since people seem to keep misunderstanding what i said to begin with. i shouldnt be suprised but meh it is what it is.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Ok i think most know im not for this games KickStarter and meh i prefere not to normaly harp agisnt games in a big way.

somehting that has been getting on my nerves alot of late is that its ok for a new thread about this game to appear every 5 mins or so in favor of it, but when someone post on said thread asking question or explaing why they are aginst it people jump on them like cats on sardines. and say they shouldnt even post.

so im going to sit here and let ya rip me up all you want, cause im going to ask a few simple questions that is the core of what most people have agint it.

1. ( the main one) what happens when this game gets kickstarted but never launchs ( theroetical question not saying it wont)

2. where is all the info on this game in detail, most things about the game are extrweamly vague at best, heck i cant figure out more about it then its a DAoC clone.

3. What makes the chances of this game being great more then that of any other PvP or RvR based MMO, when there are so many already that promised the exact same thing this one dose.

4. why am i giveing money to someone to work on thier dream project when they themselves wont put money into it before me. (yes i know hes going to add money if we do but he should have done that to begin with, but him commiting to it first would make me fill alot better)

5.am i going to have to buy the game after investing in the kickstarter, for that matter what kind of payment system will it be. ( this info might be out there i just dont know myself to be honest)

OK rage away and tear it up, do what you want but please give me actual useful info here, preferably with links sources and facts.

P.S. lets see how long before im subject to fanboy rage, instead of logic here.

P.S.S. let me clarify im not aginst the game i enjoy PvP & RvR games sometimes, its the whole kickstarter thing that give me the willies.

Hey, Squeak69.  First and foremost, let me give a disclaimer:  I honestly don't really care for you or the other trolls that are dwelling underneath the bridge to Camelot Unchained.  Most of the time, I ignore your posts and roll my eyes in an insultive manner; however, perhaps this is a new attempt of turning over a new leaf of understanding.. or a poorly construed attempt of trolling further.  Nonetheless, thank you for at least trying to understand about the game.

1.  Mark Jacobs and Andrew Meggs are the front runners that represent City State Entertainment.  If these two gentlemen decide to "take money and run", their reputations within the industry would be forever devastated.  Trust me when I say the industry is extremely small - networking is extremely important and one guy can ruin another person's career completely.  By example, I spoke to an individual at Ubisoft Montreal that works on the Assassin Creed titles - He's the hiring manager and team leader.  Someone called him regarding a potential hire, and this individual at Ubisoft Montreal mentioned he had blacklisted this artist due to some personality and work related issues.  Needless to say, the blacklisted modeler isn't working in the game industry any longer.

If the Kickstarter funds, but for whatever reason the game never sees the light of day due to potentially not being able to reach long term goals or parts of the team quits working for City State Entertainment... then you're just out of luck due to your investment.  This possibility, both the above and this one, are extremely unlikely.  Both men, and those employees under Mark and Andrew, all have a reptuation to uphold in order to put food on the table.

2.  All the information is very easily accessible.  You can click on MarkJacobs username and check his posting history - You can do the same thing on reddit.  Next, you can visit some of the community sites and listen/watch all the podcasts currently available regarding CU and its development.  Lastly, you can visit the official website and read about the Foundational Principals.  Google is your friend, Squeak69.

3. The two most important characteristics that will make Camelot Unchained a new and unique experience is the fact Mark Jacobs is involved and the fact a publisher is not present.  Within the game industry, publishers provide the cash injections and push developers to make decisions that they otherwise would not make in order to have the highest probability to regain the money invested.  Despite some bumps in the road, Mark has an incredible track record.

4.  You're completely wrong on this point.  Mark will invest a two (2) million dollars once the project is fully funded.  I believe it was mentioned in the first podcast regarding kickstarter.

5.  Depending on the tier you support, you should acquire a copy of the game itself.  You may even acquire a second copy, in which you can give it to your husband or friend.

It's pretty obvious you've done little to no research prior to posting here.  I hope some of these responses has shed some light on the project, Mark and Andrew, as well as anything else you were unsure about.  A little self education goes a long way, Squeak69..  at least it makes sense why you post the way you do.  

Good luck.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.