Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU World Layout

TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

How do you guys think the world map of camelot unchained should be laid out?

I think there's some interesting freedom to be had from this game being all RVR everywhere in that regard.

Feel free to include pics/maps as examples. =)

In my head I originally imagined just a giant continent surrounded by water on all sides, and each of the 3 realms starts on 3 equidistance points near the edges. So basically as you fight towards eachother it becomes more heavily contested. Plus with 3 realms, and a map like that, would create some really interesting cross realm dynamics (attacks, counterattacks, feints, sneak behind enemy lines, etc...) I don't like artificial barriers like mountains/zone walls/etc... I kind of prefer water as the edge of the world, because it really makes more sense. That drove me crazy in SWTOR, because those were supposed to be PLANETS, but it felt like you only saw 2% of the planet LOL. Also sort of the same thing in WAR, it was such a railroad progression, it didn't feel like you were immersed in a larger/grander world.

Even more interesting, what if the game world map were a 3d globe rendering, so you could actually traverse around the world? Just a thought. =) It would look funky on a 2d map, but on a 3d globe map, you could zoom out, and actually keep traveling east to eventually get back to where you started lol. Not sure on the practicality of that, but I thought the idea was cool.

The other thought I had was realism vs practicality. How much is this world map supposed to mirror real UK/Ireland/Etc??? I got a sense water wasn't going to be a big factor in combat, and there wasn't going to be any fast travel, so that complicates that.... would you actually have 3 separate continents/areas? (ireland, england/scotland, denmark/norway/sweden).

Just some thoughts, but I thought it would be fun to theorize (especially at work on  Monday morning when I have no motivation LOL)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Comments

• AeodoAeodo Member Posts: 61
    No ingame map, only a compass =D
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

LOL that's a separate issue of how much info to show on a map, or to even have one.

I'm more talking about how the world should be laid out/arranged. =)

• AeodoAeodo Member Posts: 61
    Oh sorry I misunderstood :(
  • burfoburfo Member Posts: 46
    It should have a bunch of seriously small planets that you jump between, much like Super Mario Galaxy.   image

Burfo

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Someone pointed this out in the third teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agsJlZvFPIA&t=0m50s

(You can see it most clearly 54-56 seconds)

It's really hard to tell because it goes by quickly and shadows or clouds move overhead, but it looks like there's an additional landmass west of Ireland in this video. It could just be Iceland/Greenland out of perspective, but I don't think so.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

I think the map would have to be basically a big pie-chart divided in 3 , this each realm would have have frontiers touching the other 2. all 3 realms should have a few specific things that are exactly (or pretty close to) as the others, i.e. same area size, same amount mountains, lages, rivers etc.

frontiers should also be same "length" to each of the other 2 realms.

Capitals should be at equal distance from the frontiers of the realms too.

this was very quickly done (ugly lol), but it could look like this (i didnt measure, just went quickly to illustrate)

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1708/mapexamplea.jpg

Of course there would be more choke points, more peninsulas, more of everything, mostly wanted to show wha ti meant by having some standards to all realm, but still having them all different.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Why would you want three identical map pieces? That would ruin the exploration if you were to ever cross into another faction, since you would know the entire map already... Make it different, and balance it out that way... Look what happened to GW2 when they had 3 same battlefields... It was plain boring to go into enemy territory when it was excatly the same as your home one.

Originally posted by pacov
    Why would you want three identical map pieces? That would ruin the exploration if you were to ever cross into another faction, since you would know the entire map already... Make it different, and balance it out that way... Look what happened to GW2 when they had 3 same battlefields... It was plain boring to go into enemy territory when it was excatly the same as your home one.

i didnt mean identical, but there has to be some standards that all 3 realms should have. of course not placed at all on all 3 realms, but to make things equal for all 3 realms. loook at link.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64

This is an easy one!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

My  hope is they balance the need for equality in world division between factions with a naturally laid out world. I personally find it extremely distracting and immersion breaking when lands looks like templated pie pieces in order to make each side equal.

Screw equality ... make it interesting.

You stay sassy!

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by kappenwiz

It's really hard to tell because it goes by quickly and shadows or clouds move overhead, but it looks like there's an additional landmass west of Ireland in this video. It could just be Iceland/Greenland out of perspective, but I don't think so.

i got it to pause at the time you where tlaking about, and its just a earth map, nothing has been added to it.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ExarchiExarchi Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Aeodo

amen to that.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i got it to pause at the time you where tlaking about, and its just a earth map, nothing has been added to it.

Gonna have to disagree, there's a landmass that's below Iceland on there, at least how I see it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Exarchi
    Originally posted by Aeodo

amen to that.

Yes PLEASE. Nothing takes you out of a game world more than having a GPS tracker on you at all times.

And I agree, I'd rather have a more natural uneven battlefield than a carbon copy super equalized arena. Given how classes are being designed, I doubt I have to worry about that.

• ExarchiExarchi Member Posts: 17
    A fantastic memory I have from DAOC was the paper map folded up within the CD case. I appeared almost hand drawn and what a fantastic feeling of adventure that bought. It's the little things! ;)
  • AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

I think the map would have to be basically a big pie-chart divided in 3 , this each realm would have have frontiers touching the other 2. all 3 realms should have a few specific things that are exactly (or pretty close to) as the others, i.e. same area size, same amount mountains, lages, rivers etc.

this was very quickly done (ugly lol), but it could look like this (i didnt measure, just went quickly to illustrate)

Of course there would be more choke points, more peninsulas, more of everything, mostly wanted to show wha ti meant by having some standards to all realm, but still having them all different.

TDD's are yellow yo...:)

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Imagine if you were given a in game map, but no character placement on that map.  There for you had to actually, *gasp*, learn to use terrain referances to figure out where you are going.  It would almost be like having to use an actual map!!!

Sarcasim aside, this is how it is in hardmode on DayZ servers, and I love it!

• AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by ragz45

Imagine if you were given a in game map, but no character placement on that map.  There for you had to actually, *gasp*, learn to use terrain referances to figure out where you are going.  It would almost be like having to use an actual map!!!

Sarcasim aside, this is how it is in hardmode on DayZ servers, and I love it!

we used to have to use the coord system

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103

My main hope is that the world is huge.  If zoned for control, there should be at least 25 zones which provide multiple paths between the home zones of each realm and contain two or three control points each.  In that respect, I would love to see a campaign strategy similar to playing a game of "Risk" where you're realm gets some kind of bonus for the number of zones / keeps it controls.  Each zone should have different resources to encourage fights over who has control, with the top level resources being available in only one location each. 

Lawt

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

All of a sudden CU seems like a combination of EVE, DAOC, and planetside 2 LOL.

Imagine the sector control type deal from planetside 2. Although, that may be more map info than many of us old schoolers would want shown on the map.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by burfo
    It should have a bunch of seriously small planets that you jump between, much like Super Mario Galaxy.   image

I support this as well

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Squeak69

Gonna have to disagree, there's a landmass that's below Iceland on there, at least how I see it.

hmm i see what your saying, it looks like england scotsland and ireland are gone and replaced with that land mass prob what confused me in first place.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by AdorianBlade
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

TDD's are yellow yo...:)

i still got DAoC under my skin :P

Thurka on WAR

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I just hope there's a lot of variation , from valleys, to peaks, ocean cliffs, to hillsides, mountains, etc.  From forest, to plains, to deserts, to snow covered fjords, with creeks, rivers, lakes, swamps, oceansides, etc.

variation in the layout and weather/setting can help bring life to the world. Especially if you can throw in weather that changes throughotut he world or seasons (but that might be too much for CU to take on at first with limited budget).

• HigachHigach Member Posts: 4

Food for thought... Even if there is no standard map (which I am a fan of), from how they spoke of their UI it would be only a day before there was a custom UI with a map.. so is that only going to hurt the people that wouldn't use it?