Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] City of Steam: Steampunk Impresses at GDC

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,585MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

During GDC, we had the opportunity to check out City of Steam, a steampunk based MMO on the rise in many folk's mind. We have a full report of our time with City of Steam that you won't want to miss. Read on before heading to the comments.

City of Steam offers ten races for players to choose from, everything from humans (with lots of factions), orcs, goblins, and even elves. There is a lot of customization in the character creation phase and players will enjoy some of the choices. We created a steamed out orc for the demo. Getting into the game and starting quickly is extremely important to Mechanist Games: we started up very quickly and were able to move around easily. The gameplay had flow to it and character movement was smooth.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's City of Steam: Steampunk Impresses at GDC.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Been following this game for what feels like forever. Hope it delivers......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,197Member Uncommon
    I'm looking forward to the open beta and to see what changes they made from alpha and closed beta.  I really enjoy the setting and lore of the game.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,062Member Uncommon

If you are looking at this game then you should also be looking at Snail Games's and Mental Games joint venture  Black Gold.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/04/black-gold-online-vanguard-test-phase-to-being-later-this-week/

Steampunk looks good.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

• Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

hmmm the grapics and astetics have been bumped up a few notchs since last time i saw anything on this game, this is good, now i just need to hunt down some vids on the demo and see whaht the combat is like, and i might have a upcomeing MMO that actualy catchs my intrest.

i hope so as i am into steam punk.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KtaraKtara Victoria, BCPosts: 37Member

I played the alpha and closed beta, and it's been fun :)  I'm really impressed with what the Unity engine can do for a browser game.  I am also steampunk, and while the devs all call this more of industrial punk, it does tend toward steam in a lot of ways.  It's a good mix. 

SavageHorizon, thank you for the link.  Black Gold looks interesting, I'll be reading more about that today :)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

If you are looking at this game then you should also be looking at Snail Games's and Mental Games joint venture  Black Gold.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/04/black-gold-online-vanguard-test-phase-to-being-later-this-week/

Steampunk looks good.

Nice, thanks for that. They have a cool Dwarven race!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Steampunk looks good.

Nice, thanks for that. They have a cool Dwarven race!

hmmm grapics are good astetics are decent, lore seems to be comeing along, ill have to look into combat in this one as well,

nice find ty for the link.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DenambrenDenambren Montreal, QCPosts: 320Member Uncommon

ye olde stiffy-wiffy character animations

• MethiosMethios Brandywine, MDPosts: 157Member
    Sounds interesting actually 
  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,757Member Uncommon
    Steampunk is very in atm, so no doubt we will see more SP games. Gameplay is what should be concerning us though, not the setting.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,007Member Uncommon
    was in alpha test, this game is really something. posted a few bugs within the 2 hours i played the game. too bad i couldn't get into cbt, i received 5 codes in one email address and none of them could be redeemed..but alpha test showed me more than enough, this game is very very good, if we compare it to other browser games; the graphics only blows my mind away. i am hoping this will come live soon.

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.