Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that Camelot Unchained is coming - how will this game really fare?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
The hardcore fans of the series aren't happy, for the most part, because of the big focus on PvP with the RvR end game component, along with a few other game mechanics of course.  However, many fans of DAoC are really looking forward to it becuase of these same reasons.  But with Camelot Unchained coming and being even more of a pseudo sequel to DAoC than this game wouldn't RvR fans go to that game more than this one?  Sure some fans of the Elder Scrolls series who also like that form of content may stick around, but I think Camelot Unchained is likely going to steal a huge chunck of people that the devs were hoping to capture by making the endgame RvR focused.  Then you have the large crowd of unhappy PvE focused fans who either will never play or play some but still be a bit bitter about what could of been with an Elder Scrolls mmo.  So it will be interesting to see how things all pan out in the end.

Comments

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Lets see if CU gets funded first, eh?
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Well CU is a long way off even if it does get funded. So the fans will probably still play it then leave when CU comes out. Only problem is, when they leave who will be left to play it because as you mention, people not interested in the PvP or RvR stuff and not really liking the design choices so far.
  • SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

Hahahahaah, now that it's coming! ...In two years time.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Im a hard core DAoC fan and CU is not enough of a MMO to make me even care to look into it much past the fact there is no PvE. No open world dungeons or lands to explore and enjoy with the fear of being attacked by players. CU IMO is not a MMO, its a battle ground taken from a great MMO. 15 bucks a month to play a battleground. ESO has 10 times more content and 3 faction DAoC RvR. As a DAoC fan this is a easy choice.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

MORE Camelot advertising?? Seriously? Every single corner if this website is spammed with camelot kickstarter B.S.

You are making me sick of the game before i even know what it is.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    CU is not even remotely close to release, I doubt they will have to worry.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the better question to ask would be, when/if CU does launch, what will it offer that TESO cannot?

TESO will likely be released for nearly two years before CU launches, if it launches.

CU has absolutely no impact on this game's initial release at all.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

There's room for both and CU is also still far away in time, and not even funded yet :)

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Its going to be rvr with one realm overly stacked with former and current DAOC players. Just a hunch :-) see GW2
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

So there's this super awesome game that no one has even had the idea for, do you think it will hurt CU?

I thought the GW2 hype was bad, people looked at that game like it was their savior. The CU crowd is so much worse and that game is still just an idea! You guys are going to hype it to death and by the time (IF) it's made everyone's expectations will be astronomical.

There's no way CU is going to live up DAOC nostalgia + years of hype . . .  you guys are killing the very game you want to see.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Rusque

So there's this super awesome game that no one has even had the idea for, do you think it will hurt CU?

I thought the GW2 hype was bad, people looked at that game like it was their savior. The CU crowd is so much worse and that game is still just an idea! You guys are going to hype it to death and by the time (IF) it's made everyone's expectations will be astronomical.

There's no way CU is going to live up DAOC nostalgia + years of hype . . .  you guys are killing the very game you want to see.

I would rather the DOAC fans killing CU then doing it to TESO but that boat has already sailed....So let them keep hyping CU.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Margulis
    The hardcore fans of the series aren't happy, for the most part, because of the big focus on PvP with the RvR end game component, along with a few other game mechanics of course.  However, many fans of DAoC are really looking forward to it becuase of these same reasons.  But with Camelot Unchained coming and being even more of a pseudo sequel to DAoC than this game wouldn't RvR fans go to that game more than this one?  Sure some fans of the Elder Scrolls series who also like that form of content may stick around, but I think Camelot Unchained is likely going to steal a huge chunck of people that the devs were hoping to capture by making the endgame RvR focused.  Then you have the large crowd of unhappy PvE focused fans who either will never play or play some but still be a bit bitter about what could of been with an Elder Scrolls mmo.  So it will be interesting to see how things all pan out in the end.

......funded???  ha you got a way to go buddy

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

TESO is 2013-2014 while CU is 2015-2016.. when CU releases TESO will be a mature game by then with a dedicated playerbase, so your argument is invalid. If they were to release in the same year, which they won't then maybe I'd agree with you.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by baphamet

the better question to ask would be, when/if CU does launch, what will it offer that TESO cannot?

TESO will likely be released for nearly two years before CU launches, if it launches.

CU has absolutely no impact on this game's initial release at all.

That's easy. It will offer RvR without requiring you do levelling and gear grinding first plus it will have different mechanics that may appeal more to former DAOC players than TESO. 

I totally agree that CU has no impact on TESO. It's being released too far in the future even if it funds. The more interesting question is what impact TESO will have on CU. If AvA in TESO is really good, then that might seriously hurt the market for CU among people who didn't donate to Kickstarter.  OTOH since CU looks to have a lower than normal monthly sub, it may be very attractive to AvA players who have gotten bored of TESO by 2015.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    CU doesn't even have PvE and this is a huge deal with many many DAoC vets including me.  RvR is fun when done right but man can't live by bread alone.  Besides CU is at least 2 years away from release.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Im a hard core DAoC fan and CU is not enough of a MMO to make me even care to look into it much past the fact there is no PvE. No open world dungeons or lands to explore and enjoy with the fear of being attacked by players. CU IMO is not a MMO, its a battle ground taken from a great MMO. 15 bucks a month to play a battleground. ESO has 10 times more content and 3 faction DAoC RvR. As a DAoC fan this is a easy choice.

I call it a Fantasy Call of Duty Clone.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

And CU continues to leak obnoxiously into other forums.  And people complain when non-CU fans post about the game.  It's not like you can avoid it lately..

To answer your question, I may have already played and forgotten about ESO by the time CU is even remotely finished, so how it fares will have absolutely nothing to do with CU.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Sentnl

correction. 3 years

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Cetra
    Originally posted by Sentnl

correction. 3 years

If then, assuming that there are no issues. Who knows since they haven't even started the main design/coding stage.

CU hype train makes the SWTOR and the GW2 hype trains look pathetic. At least we had game videos to watch while hyping this game. We have one pathetic tech show and some line drawings? WOW - HYPE CITY!!!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Cannot tell because CU exists only in some guy's head and ESO looks like a random mediocre PvP game and it's similarities to The Elder Scrolls might be fully coincidental.
  • Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    ESO will have 3 years plus on CU so I really dont think it's gonna matter. CU is still in the ON PAPER stage and ESO I think is due to release this year!!
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Instead of crying about what game will be better I really hope both games are good. Its better for me if I have a couple games to play instead of just one. I know that this site is all about who's game is better than everyone elses though and people here can't look past that, but I want good games, not just one.

My Game can beat up your Game posts are funny though.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Camelot Unchained will have almost zero effect on whether or not TESO will do well or not.  

All we have is words from CU.  Nothing more.

• NamelessCNamelessC Member UncommonPosts: 26

By eliminating the PVE aspect of the game, the game will lose a lot of player base. I don’t think this game will really go far unless it have very unique feature that other games don’t and there are so many other games that are RvR already, I don’t see what the big hype is about.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by meddyck

That's easy. It will offer levelling and gear grinding first plus it will have different mechanics that may appeal more to former DAOC players

so by offering less content (no PVE) that somehow means it offers more?

i guess if you are a fan of moba games or fps shooters that may appeal to you more than TESO would.

as a fan of both Daoc and TES, i want pve in my game too. i am not saying i wouldn't give CU a try if it did its pvp really well but i just don't see what that game would offer that TESO will not, other than being a newer game and doing things a little differently.