Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Age Of Conan compare with more "modern" mmo's?

I'm currently playing Tera and loving it, although I'm at that levelling stage (46) where it starts to get a little bit tedious, but I know it'll be great again in a few more levels. My first mmo love is Rift, love that game sooo much, but Trion messing around with class's to much made me quit. 

I have heard about Conan mmo, but never gave it much thought. 

How does it hold up in 2013? Graphic wise as well as if it has passed it's sell by date. 

Is it a constant grind?

What is level cap?

What mmo would you say it is most like, to compare with?

Is there dungeons and raids?

What is "end game" content like?

How is f2p compared to p2p?

Do you have class's such as tank, dps etc?

How does the guild system work? Do you level it up and get perks like rift?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. 

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

It's just as modern as the MMO's out now in most ways especially graphics and combat. If you put it side by side with rift you would be forgiven for thinking RIFT is an older MMO imo.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

How does it hold up in 2013? Graphic wise as well as if it has passed it's sell by date.  Graphics are superb really i think it looks better than most other than ffXIV and TSW i can't think of something that beats it

Is it a constant grind? Sorta

What is level cap? 80 Plus AA's ( like eq)

What mmo would you say it is most like, to compare with? It's very unique nothing else like it! 

Is there dungeons and raids? yes

What is "end game" content like? 6 man godslayers (really hard dungeons) or rais t1-t4 (t3-t4 requires pretty solid raiding guild) AND PVP!

How is f2p compared to p2p? f2p is pretty limited at cap, it's best to pay the 10$ sub to unlock time training AA's  and offline levels! free to use on any char above lv 30. you gain 1 free level per four days of paid time.

Do you have class's such as tank, dps etc? yes but no "healers"  really they are dps with heal over times

How does the guild system work? Do you level it up and get perks like rift?  You guild has a city t1-t3, t3 requiring the most and has foritified walls big battlekeep etc.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by memphis12

I'm currently playing Tera and loving it, although I'm at that levelling stage (46) where it starts to get a little bit tedious, but I know it'll be great again in a few more levels. My first mmo love is Rift, love that game sooo much, but Trion messing around with class's to much made me quit. 

I have heard about Conan mmo, but never gave it much thought. 

How does it hold up in 2013? Graphic wise as well as if it has passed it's sell by date. 

Is it a constant grind?

What is level cap?

What mmo would you say it is most like, to compare with?

Is there dungeons and raids?

What is "end game" content like?

How is f2p compared to p2p?

Do you have class's such as tank, dps etc?

How does the guild system work? Do you level it up and get perks like rift?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. 

let me see if i can help you out.

Graphics.  best i have seen still to date, blows tera and rift away graphic wise. but the gear looks dumb.

level cap is still 80 i believe, but there are other skills and such to level once you hit 80 called alternate advancement ( and you will have to pay monthly fee to do this, if you dont you shouldnt even worry about playing because end game will be impossible without it )

its hard to compare it, the questing is your typical mmo kill 20 of this, go fetch that,except for the first 20 level starter area that part has a awsome story. that is worth downloading and playing in itself.

the combat is different and takes time to get use to. its not like teras but its also not like your typical wow style either. kind of a hybrid in a way.

there is dungeons and raids, but to do the high level ones you will need to pay real moneys.

If you want to do end game stuff you should just pay monthly, i would suggest going free at first because you get everything you need for along while to try out the game. if you decide you like it then at max level go montly sub.

one more thing, if you try it pick the pve server that one has population. the pvp servers are totally dead and you will be bored if you like playing with others.

• memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 23

Thanks guys. I am hearing only good things about this game on other forums I've posted. I am a little worried the gear looks "dumb" I want my tank to look bad ass!

is there mounts, teleport devices and what is best class for a solid tank?

thanks again. 

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Your tank won't look dumb, the armor isn't dumb it's realistic. Also if you don't think this is badass.....

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Now other MMO look as badass as AoC I would say. Check out these two vids ;) One from community the other marketing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksXQx8UX9Ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc

Ohh just found another one, explaining the noob island starter area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Gbt1VbzqM

You see it's pretty gritty and violent... But we love it. AoC is by the way growing again now after they changed the F2P model a bit. Would guess that it's population have trippeled over the last 3 months. Fuck I dig this game :D !!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

from all the traditional mmos AoC has the best melee combat and overall character animations.

You beat someone with a baseball bat and it looks just like AoC.

Nobody has done combat and character animations that good in mmos.

I'll never stop dreaming of the day Funcom upgrades TSW characters to those of AoC. If it never happens then oh well. Moving on.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

How does it hold up in 2013? Graphic wise as well as if it has passed it's sell by date.  Graphics are superb really i think it looks better than most other than ffXIV and TSW i can't think of something that beats it

Is it a constant grind? Sorta

What is level cap? 80 Plus AA's ( like eq)

What mmo would you say it is most like, to compare with? It's very unique nothing else like it! 

Is there dungeons and raids? yes

What is "end game" content like? 6 man godslayers (really hard dungeons) or rais t1-t4 (t3-t4 requires pretty solid raiding guild) AND PVP!

How is f2p compared to p2p? f2p is pretty limited at cap, it's best to pay the 10$ sub to unlock time training AA's  and offline levels! free to use on any char above lv 30. you gain 1 free level per four days of paid time.

Do you have class's such as tank, dps etc? yes but no "healers"  really they are dps with heal over times

How does the guild system work? Do you level it up and get perks like rift?  You guild has a city t1-t3, t3 requiring the most and has foritified walls big battlekeep etc.

Pretty much this. Just wanted to add a +1 graphic-wise, it still has one of the best looks out there (back at launch with a good gfx card it beated even some singleplayer games...)

And for the classes, AoC is great in that too, while it has some regular ones too, most of the classes are pretty unique. And yep, healers are not the "stand in the back and spam heal"-kinda classes, they are buff/debuff, support dps characters focusing on HoT's with a few direct heal. Not to forget ofc the templar, who can be an off-tank dps backup healer :)

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    I Agree AOC Is A Very Good Mmo. Graphics Combot Both Close To The Top Of Modern Mmos. The OnlyQuestion I Have Is With Funcom In Disarray And Reports Of Layoffs And Office Closings How Will This Affect The Game In The Future?
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    I Agree AOC Is A Very Good Mmo. Graphics Combot Both Close To The Top Of Modern Mmos. The OnlyQuestion I Have Is With Funcom In Disarray And Reports Of Layoffs And Office Closings How Will This Affect The Game In The Future?

I think the answer to this one is that AoC wil only gain resources from here and onwards. Reason is that the TSW team now is merged with the old and smaller AoC team. The merged team will now work on both MMO's equally and AoC will gain from the bigger budget TSW development. (At least was this what I read in a PC Gamer intervju with Joel Bylos). I think the sacked people was financial people and the office in Bejing (Good riddance flirt with Korean/Chineese gamestyle).

The Ultimate Breakdown

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

It simply does not (anymore).

There are way better combat systems out there already. Funcom is not starting to listen to the very people who funded their company via buying their games and subscriptions. The grafics are outdated. The only thing left is obviously the artstyle, which is unique in like every game tho.

So, there you have it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by 4bsolute     The grafics are outdated.

compared to what other mmo?

" The grafics are outdated"

lolz.

Nothing is Dx9 10 or 11 like AoC. Thats for graphics

For animations. AoC is the game with the maximum animation bones made ever!! So there you have it.

How do I know? Well, it's the reason for me not plaing GW2, LotRO, Tera, Diablo 3 or anything else you can think of. I love animations and graphics (and a good portion of Violence), therefore AoC.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

There are way better combat systems out there already. Funcom is not starting to listen to the very people who funded their company via buying their games and subscriptions. The grafics are outdated. The only thing left is obviously the artstyle, which is unique in like every game tho.

So, there you have it.

This, basically.

Soundtrack is great too and gives the game a convincing atmosphere.

I understand you guys love AoC but telling the OP it's the best mmo on the market is quite far fetched. Coming from Rift, he's in for a huge disappointment.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm thinking of playing it again.  I tried it once over a year ago easily, and though I played for a few days, it never reminded me of WoW.. I'm not sure what sense that comparison makes.

Only reason I stopped was because I heard horror stories about how boring it was after Tortage.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

OP try it yourself. You will either love it or hate it. For me i love the graphics and setting and general gritty feel of the game.

I tell you what i also like is that theres not 5 not 6 not 7 but 12 classes. the character creation is also very good.

Suggest give it a try.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    just to go on. im currently reinstalling it actually. Not played for a long time but fancied giving it a crack.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

I understand you guys love AoC but telling the OP it's the best mmo on the market is quite far fetched. Coming from Rift, he's in for a huge disappointment.

I only backed Foreverdream's accurate answers, with emphasis on graphic and classes, never said it's the best mmo :) And agree, both soundtracks are awesome (I like Hyboria better, but Godslayer is nice too)

Never tried Rift, but as I heard it's an upgraded / enhanced Wow, so I guess AoC won't be a huge disappointment since it has a bit different gameplay with more fun in it. :)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I´ve tried everything, SWOTR, Rift, Gw2, Tera and I can assure you that AoC  surpasses all other current "medieval times" MMOs although it is older, FC added new graphics features over the course of time.

AoC wins the following categories:

Best Graphics, realistic - gritty - immersive. Easily on par or better than titles released today.

Best Quest Stories

Best Music and Sound, this is the killer -- makes it the most immersive MMO ever

Most Content - 4 giant countries and no matter which of the four races,  you can go everywhere (Unlike ESO)

Biggest regions, really big, with swimming, diving, mountaineering, day/night cycle, animals hunting each other and running away from you

Best most brutal and active combat system plus fatalities

Sieges, Guild City building and decorations, crafting, ressource areas with PvP, really cool animal mounts, combat companions, pets

Optional hardcore server with corpse loot and no guards

...lots of more I probably forgot to mention

Name ONE MMO which offers more than AoC, you won´t find one!

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

FROMHELL

Well you forgot a bullet on the collision detection. The impact og what you do in that game have always felt so right and solid for me. When you hit someone, it really feels like you hit them hard. This is a subtle thing hard to word or do right.. But it's there.

The other thing you also probably should mention is that the games animations have more animation bones than any other BBA based MMO in the world. This wether you look to old shit or the latest and greatest. Even Rift have to bow down to AoC. Not many people know this but indeed it's so. test Rift, then test AoC. You will be surprised!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

All in all I really liked the game. In my opinion the visuals are very good to great. I really enjoyed the more active combat with targeting and combos and the classes were all really fun. 

The only think that killed the game for me was the population. At the time that I quit the game.. it was a barren wasteland. There was no one playing... like ... at all. I haven't played in a while so maybe the f2p has helped the population. 

I would surely recommend the game though. Very solid game. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    TBH it beats just about every MMO I've tried in the last 5 years by a long shot. That goes for about every category as well, Graphics, Combat, Content, etc... You have nothing to lose by giving it a shot, F2P is pretty decent now as well with much less restriction.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

It's just as modern as the MMO's out now in most ways especially graphics and combat.

Ditto.  It's still quite contemporary.

The only thing I'd do to push userbase is speed up the mid-levels, which in my experience were slow and boring.  Maybe revamp the item shop a bit less pricey.  Although either of these may have changed since I played last.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

So, there you have it.

This, basically.

nobody is telling the OP that AoC is the best mmo on the market. AoC is far from the best, but one thing is certain, AoC has the best character animations and most unique combat of all traditional mmorpgs. There are a few mmorpg with the best graphic visuals (not talking about realism, talking about quality), and AoC is one of them.

There are several mmorpgs out there that can be more fun than AoC but the character animations and the combat itself are far inferior than the ones in AoC.