Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

payment model for TESO?

2»

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by Waldoe
    Originally posted by koboldfodder
    It will be F2P with the usual cash shop for items.  There is no way this game is only subscription.  It would be a very bad decision on their part.

Say who? I see zero negatives for them as a business going with the sub model aside from the fact that people are cheap and don't want to pay a monthly fee. Everyone thinks just because a few poorly made games came out that had to drop to f2p that suddenly all games should just be f2p. 

a few? can you tell me one mmo in the last few years that launched with sub and continue to have it today?  90% transformed to f2p or in the best case a mix of f2p + sub.

and pls dont tell me about games that have left with 1 or 2 servers and a very small core of active subs.

Rift, there's one

RIFT? i played this about 7 months. good game but nothing special.

Did you checked my last sentence about 1-2 servers? at least here in eu RIFT has in peak hours 3 medium and 1 high server and only one of them english. so pls, RIFT is not an example :)

You just claimed you played a game for 7 months and than say its not a good game? It took you 7 months to figure out you didnt like it? Regardless what you thik of the game, its still a success of mmorpg and that is the point. Which means people are enjoying it and having fun playing it.

i didnt say i dont like it or its a bad game. i m speaking only about the amount of subs and how it left with 3-4 medium servers.

you know sometimes you may play a game because of friends or ppl you like to play with, even if the game isnt the best for your taste.

anyway i think rift is a good game as i said before, but not good enough to justify a sub, at least for me and my mates.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Waldoe
    Originally posted by koboldfodder
    It will be F2P with the usual cash shop for items.  There is no way this game is only subscription.  It would be a very bad decision on their part.

Say who? I see zero negatives for them as a business going with the sub model aside from the fact that people are cheap and don't want to pay a monthly fee. Everyone thinks just because a few poorly made games came out that had to drop to f2p that suddenly all games should just be f2p. 

typical hater of f2p models. Not paying a sub doesnt mean i am cheap, im being smarter. It is wise to be 100% sure that a game is worth the sub before going the "take all my money" route just because its a well known and loved IP. That doesnt mean the mmo is worth anything until the game is finally done and released. We will see how good it is.

In my personal opinion and personal decision the only way i would ever pay a subscription for TESO is if the game is better than Skyrim. I have Skyrim (and even oblivion and morrowind) with lots of replayability and no sub, bigger world and no limitations, so unles the mmo beats that experience i expect TESO to have a box price and nothing else (like GW2 with a decent cash shop)

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

thanks for opinions, guys!

hope I could try it free as buy-to-try time is over for me with GW2 =P

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

If it's BTP I'll probably play it for a mmo fix. If it's a sub I'll have to wait on reviews.

Even if it's subscription, I'll buy it on the day it's released.. It's a very rare POS MMO that won't hold my interest for the free month you always get when you buy. Hell, many of the best single player games will give you one week's play or even less. One the best single player games I've played in years, Bioshock Infinite, I finished in a weekend and I don't feel ripped-off. It was worth every penny.

MMOs cost the same. A month is pretty damn good value even if it's just to satisfy my curiosity and I never touch it again.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I'd be shocked if it isnt sub to play. Wouldnt it be a good marketing tool to say there is no subscription fee? Unless they are being truly honest and they just havent decided how they want to do it.

If its like one of those games though where its pay to win, I'll be very disappointed. I cant stand games that are like "Oh you can play.. But if you want to be viable, here are 8000 micro transaction shops that are required to be good at the game"

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i hope it's sub fee.  i hate being inconvienienced just so i'm enticed to spend money on bag space or bank space.  also our characters better not have to share a bank.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Karteli

P2P at launch.  Free trial weekends shortly thereafter, followed by a limited demo up to level 15.

All content put on hold while F2P and a cashshop inserted.  F2P within a year from launch.  Gambling boxes put in, and thus concludes a successful IP.

That guess is as good as any, since the business model hasn't been revealed.

LOL. Yeah that's about what I expect too. Milking people's wallets with a monthly sub for months after launch is hard for most big MMO companies to resist. Then when people zoom through the PvE content, get bored, and quit after a few months, they start planning the freemium conversion to happen towards the 6 or 12 month mark.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer