Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

payment model for TESO?

Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Hi all,

sorry if I just missed some posts, but I need to know if this game will be sub based, f2p or b2p?

please advise if it already decided.

thanks

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Comments

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    They haven't decided yet, so everything you hear about said topic is pure speculation.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    It will be F2P with the usual cash shop for items.  There is no way this game is only subscription.  It would be a very bad decision on their part.
  • SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

it's a unique buy to play method, where you download a form and fill it out, then you email it over to bethesda. They send out a surgeon, likely from the mountains of columbia somewhere, and they harvest one of your organs, it's likely a choice you ticked on the form you filled out. Once extracted, they put it on ice, stitch you up and fly over to bethesda to complete the transaction.

Then you're put on a waiting list for a physical copy of the game itself, and soon on your way to playing it, assuming you haven't died to infection or blood loss.

It's all right here, http://www.zenimax.com/legal_info.htm

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by koboldfodder
    It will be F2P with the usual cash shop for items.  There is no way this game is only subscription.  It would be a very bad decision on their part.

Say who? I see zero negatives for them as a business going with the sub model aside from the fact that people are cheap and don't want to pay a monthly fee. Everyone thinks just because a few poorly made games came out that had to drop to f2p that suddenly all games should just be f2p. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

P2P at launch.  Free trial weekends shortly thereafter, followed by a limited demo up to level 15.

All content put on hold while F2P and a cashshop inserted.  F2P within a year from launch.  Gambling boxes put in, and thus concludes a successful IP.

That guess is as good as any, since the business model hasn't been revealed.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Hope it´s BTP like GW2.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Zzad
    Hope it´s BTP like GW2.

my hope is either this or a sub. people that only want to play MMO's for free can pound sand as far as i am concerned.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Karteli

P2P at launch.  Free trial weekends shortly thereafter, followed by a limited demo up to level 15.

All content put on hold while F2P and a cashshop inserted.  F2P within a year from launch.  Gambling boxes put in, and thus concludes a successful IP.

That guess is as good as any, since the business model hasn't been revealed.

Seems awfully similar to.... what game it was... I forgot...image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

They still haven't said anything.  Aside from all of the stories that going P2P in this market is suicide for you game, or the people claiming that those who don't want P2P are cheap, let's look at this within its own context.

Those who are most excited for this are probably Elder Scrolls fans; Elder Scroll players on the console far outweight those who have the PCs that can play the games (and those who actually do), and these people are not exactly used to the whole "rent their game with a monthly fee" type of stance.

Though at the same time, to feel like you really own a game, some payment option needs to be associated with it.  This is usually true, again, for the console crowd.  If you talk to people who are console exclusive about if they would ever play a game with a monthly fee, most of the time you will probably get the reponse "no".  Some might say they would consider it if the game was perfect or perhaps suited to them in some way, but the problem therein is that there is no perfect game and anything that is made for one person in particular will be niche as a whole.

The prospect of paying monthly and thus renting space and or the game as a whole is not all that appealing to many people outside of the MMO, and even within there seems to be a movement of people who dislike P2P that vastly outnumbers those who prefer it.  Add to that that The Elder Scrolls fans usually fit into this category, and only recently got used to the whole Mico-transaction thing when it comes to DLCs and the like, you can see the clear cut winner as to what type of payment model fits best with the context of The Elder Scrolls.

With the game being a MMO as it is, it will already alienate a good part of it's fanbase; noting that most of said fan base are console players, and even if the computer players (those who actually have powerful computers) has a significant number, it is further cut down by the fact not all of them are naturally a part of the MMO community.  Adopting a model that is growing in terms of how many seem to like it (B2P) and looking at the context of what payment models console players seem to prefer (B2P and DLC micro-transactions) then it would be rather a less than suitable choice to make the game P2P.

Now, they can use their Mega Server system to create a system whereby it is B2P and offer a Subscription Only button in your menu (in the same way they have a Role Player button; if you click on it, you will only see others who have it clicked) that is only unlocked when you subscribe, it might be the best of both worlds for those who think money = maturity and want to be around people with the same mindset (I.E. having an additional barrier for people to play the game).

With that subscribers will still be able to play with their friends (who might not be subscribers) while also having an extra restriction of who they are able to see in their game whenever they are playing solo.

The above is just wishful thinking, though as a whole, when considering the context of what The Elders Scrolls is, it's buying power in the market (when it comes to it's past games, which are B2P no matter how you look at it), as well as many other factors the B2P option would seem to be the best for this game in particular.

I know if I were World of Warcraft, I'd want it to go P2P so that I could crush it; people have 8 years invested in that game, friends who are deep seeded into it, and anything with extra barriers will just keep my friends from playing something different even if I try to convince them otherwise.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Hoping this will be P2P.. I really dislike F2P.. usually ends up as pay to win or makes people not accountable for their actions since they can just create a new account.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I'm pretty certain it'll be a P2P model.  I'd be shocked as hell if it wasn't.

Most people who are honest with themselves would say the same, even those who would love F2P.

The payment model would have been decided long ago, as F2P games have different design aspects to bear in mind (incentivising players to spend), and dealing with those who have access to free accounts for negative goals (goldspammers, cheats etc) would add too much stress to a newly released MMO of this size, given the problems such games face with paid subscriptions only.

If it has hardships after 6months to a year then F2P might be a possibility depending on the user base size.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Waldoe

Say who? I see zero negatives for them as a business going with the sub model aside from the fact that people are cheap and don't want to pay a monthly fee. Everyone thinks just because a few poorly made games came out that had to drop to f2p that suddenly all games should just be f2p. 

a few? can you tell me one mmo in the last few years that launched with sub and continue to have it today?  90% transformed to f2p or in the best case a mix of f2p + sub.

and pls dont tell me about games that have left with 1 or 2 servers and a very small core of active subs.

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Manolios

a few? can you tell me one mmo in the last few years that launched with sub and continue to have it today?  90% transformed to f2p or in the best case a mix of f2p + sub.

and pls dont tell me about games that have left with 1 or 2 servers and a very small core of active subs.

Now tell me 1 good MMO that released in the last 4-5 years that you're still playing after 3 months, even if it is F2P... in other words, F2P or P2P had nothing to do with it.. only crap came out the last few years.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

My bets are on without a doubt P2P starting off.  TES is a huge IP and fans will gobble it up in a heartbeat without thinking twice.  So box price plus sub is my perdiction.  Not saying it'll remain but I think they'll start off as P2P initially to racking in some income from the impulsive buyers and convert to either a B2P like TSW or some sort of F2P.  Hopefully not F2P as I hate the nickle and diming like in Neverwinter and SWTOR.  DDO has a good format for a F2P model but certainly not Neverwinter and don't think anyone can get any worse than SWTOR's F2P model.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Docmandu

Now tell me 1 good MMO that released in the last 4-5 years that you're still playing after 3 months, even if it is F2P... in other words, F2P or P2P had nothing to do with it.. only crap came out the last few years.

^^This^^

The WoW wanna be clones in the past few years that have came out with a subscription were poorly made wannabe's that should have been F2P or B2P to begin with. That's why they went to F2P, they were never good enough to warrant a subscription.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Rift, there's one

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79
    B2P or P2P, no way will it be F2P at least from the get go. I really hope ESO can do well, and i think it will :)
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Miblet

I'm pretty certain it'll be a P2P model.  I'd be shocked as hell if it wasn't.

Most people who are honest with themselves would say the same, even those who would love F2P.

The payment model would have been decided long ago, as F2P games have different design aspects to bear in mind (incentivising players to spend), and dealing with those who have access to free accounts for negative goals (goldspammers, cheats etc) would add too much stress to a newly released MMO of this size, given the problems such games face with paid subscriptions only.

If it has hardships after 6months to a year then F2P might be a possibility depending on the user base size.

I wouldn't be so sure.  In fact, when looking at this game within the context of it's buying power and fanbase, P2P just might be one of those alienating features like how MMOs in general have to make consessions simply because of what they are.

Aside from my post earlier in this read, I also wrote something a while ago with regards to this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Yaevindusk/032013/24782

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Tayah

^^This^^

The WoW wanna be clones in the past few years that have came out with a subscription were poorly made wannabe's that should have been F2P or B2P to begin with. That's why they went to F2P, they were never good enough to warrant a subscription.

Players just want a good game, and anyone who is serious about the game their playing will pay to play it, its only because there hasnt been any really good games in the last few years that the F2P option has been used so widely, if the trend was after all, that players were increasingly only interested in F2P games, then games like Eve, Rift, WoW, even Asherons Call, etc would have shifted to a F2P model, its not the subscription model after all, be it f2p or p2p or even b2p that defines whether a game will be successful or not, so using the old 'if its not f2p the game will suck' kind of thing, is a complete fallacy, whether the game has a sub or not is irrelevant, the game just needs to be good, and, thats a bit of a problem at the moment, because even though its an Elder Scrolls game, its not being made for the Elder Scrolls Fanbase, and that one could easily be a breaking point for many.image

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    I have no sources, but it will be P2P.  AAA developer and a hugely popular IP will make it a subscription based MMO.  How long  it will be P2P, I don't know.  
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by furbans

Rift, there's one

RIFT? i played this about 7 months. good game but nothing special.

Did you checked my last sentence about 1-2 servers? at least here in eu RIFT has in peak hours 3 medium and 1 high server and only one of them english. so pls, RIFT is not an example :)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    No one knows, really.  However, I'd lay you good odds that they've been having a ton of meetings trying to figure out what to do about the pay structure.  Also pretty sure that it was intended to be P2P when they got the green light on it five years ago.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

GW2 because its neither of those its B2P, better than both those models.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Rift, there's one

Did you checked my last sentence about 1-2 servers? at least here in eu RIFT has in peak hours 3 medium and 1 high server and only one of them english. so pls, RIFT is not an example :)

You just claimed you played a game for 7 months and than say its not a good game? It took you 7 months to figure out you didnt like it? Regardless what you thik of the game, its still a success of mmorpg and that is the point. Which means people are enjoying it and having fun playing it.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by tkreep

Rift, there's one

You just claimed you played a game for 7 months and than say its not a good game? It took you 7 months to figure out you didnt like it? Regardless what you thik of the game, its still a success of mmorpg and that is the point. Which means people are enjoying it and having fun playing it.

Reading comprehension failure..