Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Econ 101 & Crafting Featured in New Dev Blog

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The WildStar economy takes center stage in a new developer blog on the official site. Economy is an all-encompassing term that includes "anything related to crafting, items, vendors, rewards, loot drops, and of course balancing the inputs and outputs of the actual in-game economy."

WildStar’s items are built on a system we internally call the Circuit Board Crafting System (CBC). This system is used for pretty much any piece of gear that you can equip. It is the basis for one of our two crafting systems, and is also used by non-crafters to modify their items. This post will focus on how we expect Modding to play out. Think of it as a teaser for crafting as well, which I know we are planning to talk more about in the coming months.

CBC consists of single Schematics per item that can be filled out with various Microchips that give stats and special abilities. Depending on the item’s level, it will have a base amount of Power that it can distribute between different stats and special abilities.

The rest of the blog goes into a lot of detail about the CBC and it's a great read for would-be crafters. Check it out on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Wow, this sounds awesome. Really digging the design decisions in  this game.

• tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    This looks like it could be a great game, will watch.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    it looks this will be a nice game (at last) but i ll keep the hype low for me. lets see...

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    I wish they would just focus on finishing the game. I have been lied to by developers for so long, I really don't care what they have to say anymore. Release the game, and PROVE that you made something special.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Wow! Socketed items! How innovative! ... Ok, I'm being mean to a game I'm very excited about, but this seemed predictable.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Wow! Socketed items! How innovative! ... Ok, I'm being mean to a game I'm very excited about, but this seemed predictable.

lol...I have to agree.  I'm excited for WS as well but this crafting "news" is just meh. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm searching your post history with your preditions of this. Hmm, not seeing it. Anyhoo, I'm also excited about this game and the CBC is much more elaborate than most MMO's offer. In fact, with this one system alone the concept of min-maxing for PvE or PvP has become much more complicated. Best-in-slot is less dependent on the Name of the item or it's base stats, but how you modify it. It's not a simple as sockets - there are going to be whole calculators just built for this system.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Really cool.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

This has a little more depth to it than any kind of socketing system seen before... To be honest this is closer to the older crafting systems where you could specify the stats and abilities of your crafted equipment through choice of materials. It lets you define the ENTIRE stat distribution of your gear, not just a few bonuses.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Sounds neat. I like the complexity of it requiring more effort. However, how are issues of new gear and new requirement adjusted for expansions considering all the previous effort.

I think the problem with any mmo is partially the gear does not stock around, and gains seem short term. Regardless of this ussue they have long term rewards from housing, which is good... but is there something that makes gear still viable or useful with even expansions of games? For example a look for customization as a shell, or stats are somewhat similar to end game pre expansion and for next expansion on items, but diversify it mayve more with special abilities.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• MrSchnuffiMrSchnuffi Member Posts: 25

Slightly off-topic, but is anything known about character progression? Are there skilltrees or "only" a bunch of skills to choose from when you create your decks?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by MrSchnuffi

Slightly off-topic, but is anything known about character progression? Are there skilltrees or "only" a bunch of skills to choose from when you create your decks?

From PAX east, you can unlock/purchase additional skills at a vendor/npc- but anything beyond that hasn't been seen.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Oh game! Release yourself! :D

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I'm searching your post history with your preditions of this. Hmm, not seeing it. Anyhoo, I'm also excited about this game and the CBC is much more elaborate than most MMO's offer. In fact, with this one system alone the concept of min-maxing for PvE or PvP has become much more complicated. Best-in-slot is less dependent on the Name of the item or it's base stats, but how you modify it. It's not a simple as sockets - there are going to be whole calculators just built for this system.

To me, it seems like an "anti min-max" system.  Which is a good thing imo.  Seems like Carbine is at least attempting to combat FOTM templates and cookie-cutter builds.  Or at least making it more difficult to do so.  But with complexity aside, it's still a socketing system lol. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Hmmmm... didn't know excitement about an MMO was supposed to be followed by a prediction as a prerequisite... OK, I'll bite:

*puts card to head

W* will be awesome!

There are ''whole calculators" built into WoW, SWOTOR, and others for their 'socketed' system as well. Red5, for example, started off with a rather clunky gear mod system in early FireFall Beta that has matured over time to something a little more recognizable. This seems to be the route for most games that utilize ‘socketed’ items; make it ‘original’ but recognizable so that we don’t confuse or alienate players used to mods. This looks simply like a different skin. I do want to see it in action 1st hand before becoming amazed, but at 1st glance... yep... been there done that.

I can completely appreciate rabid fanboism, although I’m the type to wait and see and react to each piece as it’s handed out. This piece while nice to see implemented, is still… meh.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Crafting is the most useless system ever in all MMOs since the best shit is always Raid/PVP only

Not sure why they keep bothering with it

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by achesoma

To me, it seems like an "anti min-max" system.  Which is a good thing imo.  Seems like Carbine is at least attempting to combat FOTM templates and cookie-cutter builds.  Or at least making it more difficult to do so.  But with complexity aside, it's still a socketing system lol. 

I would disagree with this idea because it is something that is impossible to do. Any MMO will have a mathematically best build for any given situation, with the FOTM being the build that is best in the most situations.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    There is another game out already just like this game. :-) im still excited to see launch day on Wildstar
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Deeter

Crafting is the most useless system ever in all MMOs since the best shit is always Raid/PVP only

Not sure why they keep bothering with it

at first i was thinking ''Well your a negative one".....

then i thought "hmmmm you have a point"

• GinsanaGinsana Member CommonPosts: 18

This sounds really complicated in terms of figuring out if the drop you just got is something to be happy about ....or not.

I love crafting,  It's one of the things that keeps me playing games for many many years.  Please dont over think it and make it uber complicated and fraught with ireversible and expensive decisions.  Or for that matter something i need a manual to figure out what all this stuff is and what it means.

Some complicated stuff is nice but please leave lots of room for times when crafters just want to go kill 100 so-and-so to stock up on some crafting materials.  Have lots of crafting patterns drop from mobs so we have something to mindlessly (and pleasurebly) treasure hunt for.

Me love you long time if you have a fun and time-consuming crafting model.

I simply love what you are doing with this game and the crafting stuff so far looks like it will be a blast : )  Thanks so much for making this for us.  I cant wait to jump in.